- the location of the blaue gans is perfect, right in the heart of the city center on the main pedestrian shopping street.
- the hotel's common spaces and guest rooms have a contemporary/minimalist decor. it's a very chic looking property.
- my guestroom was nice -- bathroom was recently updated, shower had terrific water pressure. wi-fi signal was strong, and the there was an in-room safe in the closet. i traveled alone and booked a 'regular' double. this room was perfectly comfortable for 1, but it was pretty small -- i would recommend booking one of their larger double rooms if you're traveling as a couple.
- the front desk staff were always very kind, friendly, and helpful.
- the property is kept very clean and neat.
my minor quibbles
- the air inside my room was extremely stuffy, even in late march/early april when it was freezing outside. there is an individual heating/air con unit in each room, but turning that on did little to circulate the air or help the situation. the single, small window in my room faced the hotel's inner courtyard. noise from the hotel's bar and restaurant went on late into the night, so leaving the window open all night wasn't an option. it made for an uncomfortable night's sleep.
- the service at breakfast was painfully slow. the food was totally delicious, but i'm not sure it was worth the long waits, having to get up and track down wait staff if i wanted to order a refill on my espresso, etc. one morning i waited 50 mins(!) for an order of scrambled eggs -- there were only 3 other tables taken in the restaurant so it's not like they were overwhelmed with customers. it's nice that the food was good, but frustrating having to wait so long for it.
- despite hanging the 'do not disturb' sign on my door handle, housekeeping entered my room twice one afternoon. this should not happen ever, let alone 2 times in the same day.
but overall i would recommend the blaue gans -- the location and the value make up for the small inconveniences mentioned in my review.