We are an elderly retired couple who are unashamedly travelling on our children's inheritance. We prefer to travel by train where we can, and therefore we prefer to stay in TA-recommended hotels close to rail stations. So, weighing up the above, this Hotel fitted our bill. We booked for three nights in mid-October via Rates2Go, because they offered a better deal than (our once-preferred option of) booking.com. Our advice is, do your homework!
So, what were the Positives?
1. The staff all spoke English and were very helpful - not only did they post our letters and ring up to reserve restaurants, they advised us to purchase the Salzburg Card. This card, for E35, gives unlimited travel on Salzburg buses as well as free admission to many of the Mozart attractions, including the funicular cable-car to the Fortress and the cable car to nearby Untersberg. This card is a bargain and highly recommended!
2. Breakfast was included in our tariff and provided a wide range of choices, including hot scrambled eggs and bacon; juices, cereals, meats and cheeses, and various breads.
3. Our room on the first floor was, by European standards, very spacious. It offered an Espresso coffee machine, a small fridge, and a very good en suite. WiFi speed also was very good.
What was not-so-good:
1. The weather was surprisingly mild in the third week of October, to the extent that our room became very stuffy and we were dismayed to find that the Air-Con didn't work. On querying why with reception, we were told that the hotel had switched off the cooling function for the winter, and individual rooms could not be turned on. OK, we can open the windows can't we? Well yes we can, except that being on the first floor traffic noise becomes obtrusive. This results in a poor night's sleep, and by golly, this makes us grumpy because we love our sleep!
2. The bathroom exhaust fan ("ventilator") didn't work so we reported this (twice!) to reception. Hopefully the next occupants of our room will have it working...
Summary: A good hotel, especially if can you can find a "competitive" tariff. Biggest plus is the staff, though it's a pity for us that a service technician couldn't sort out the air-con and exhaust fan issues. Despite this, yes, if we had a choice we'd stay here again - but I doubt that we are going to live long enough!