“Gastein has charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gastein

Hotel Gastein
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salzburg
Hotel Gastein
Ignaz Rieder Kai 25, Salzburg 5020, Austria   |
Ranked #111 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Seattle, Washington
“Gastein has charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

I stayed here in September with my husband and two other couples. With one exception, our rooms were charming and beautiful, and very clean. (Our friends had a room upstairs that was not so nice and lacked some essentials, such as a shower curtain and bath mat.) The staff were also very accommodating and friendly. I loved the breakfast -- not a huge variety of food but it was all done well. The best thing about this hotel was its quiet seclusion. It was a bit of a walk into town, but we didn't mind... it gave us a chance to work off the Wienerschnitzel. Overall I would recommend it, but be warned that all the rooms are different -- it can be hit or miss! (I agree with other reviewers that the Bear room is amazing!)

Stayed September 2006

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Craiova
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

I am very sorry for what I am about to write right but this is the reason of this site and I will try to be as objective as possible. My name is Cristi and I am from Romania. Do you knew were Romaina is? Well in my country this 4 stars hotel (!) would receive 2, maximum 3 stars. I do not knew what's the name of the austrian authority that makes the hotel classification but I'll try to contact them. It is unbelievebel the in a 4 stars hotel you can find bad rooms only for the reason that they are sold with low price. Can you imagin the sink in the same room with your bed? And can you imagin a TV-set that receives only 15 channels of which 7 was repetable? I find out that at this hotel 2-bed-room means a room with a normal bed plus a smaller bed (fortunatly my wife has only 1,54m hight). There was no AC and altough is specified that the hotel has internet connection, I couldn't find it. I hope that you will post my review for the sake of the other well intentioned tourists. And if you do not belive me please go and see! You have what to remember!

• Liked — The personell and the didingroom.
  • Disliked — All the rest.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Messery, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

This is an extremely well managed hotel in Salzburg, capturing all the quaint charm of the austrian chalets.

The main good points are:

* Absolutely charming room (got the Bear room as the previous reviewer), which could easily be described as a very beautiful suite, for a comparitively low price (for Salzburg standards, unfortunately an expensive city). Excellent bed, nice bathroom (although better shampoos/gels would be nice), and a pleasant living room.

* Chalet is beautiful from the outside, in a quiet part of town, with some parking (limited to 6 cars though) . However it is a bit of a stretch from the centre of town, around 20 minutes to get to the beginning of the Old Town.

* Good, friendly service

* Breakfast was also nice, not a great variety but the essentials and well prepared.

Overall I certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2006
Los Altos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

This lovely country inn on the river in Salzberg is a real find. It is delightful. The brother and sister hosts are warm and very helpful with lots of good advice on what to see in Salzberg. Our rooms were very large, clean and comfortable. My only regret is that we were only there for two nights. It was so peaceful and refreshing. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

My wife, daughter (age 21), and I stayed here from May 21 - May 25. I had stayed previously in Salzburg in another hotel and at a B&B. I will definitely stay at the Gastein next time. The location is very good--the opposite side of the Salzach River (up river; i.e., southeast) from the 'Altstadt' (old city) on Ignaz Reider Kai, which is a typically narrow street that runs along the river. It's about a 20-25 minute delightful walk along the river to the Mozartsteg bridge that crosses the river into the old city. We had room 104 ("the bear"--each room had an animal decoration on the door)--perhaps the best at this small hotel--2nd floor with a balcony with a wonderful unobstructed view of the Hohensalzburg Fortress (the big castle and Salzburg's most famous landmark). There were trees between the hotel and the river which mostly obscured the view to the west (toward the Bavarian Alps of the Bertschesgaden area), but there was still a limited view of those mountains through the trees. The hotel itself is quite charming. We had a rental car; parking was no problem. (It could be a challenge finding the hotel through the narrow winding streets of the city. If you're renting a car, I highly recommend getting one with a GPS, it is well worth it.) But walking to the old city or up to the Mirabell Palace & gardens is very easy. The breakfast buffet was excellent--cold cereals, yoghurts, a wonderful assortment of breads/rolls, cheeses, meats. The OJ was the only weak spot (but that seems fairly typical of Europe). My wife is the coffee drinker--and said it was very good. The proprieters were hospitable, and the waitress/room maid (I believe her name was Iris), was delightful. I don't think the room had AC, but we certainly didn't need it. The price was very appealing. Highly recommended by this middle class tourist.

• Stayed May 2005
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

We stayed here for two nights and wished it could've been longer. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Wuhrer couldn't have been nicer. They even let us borrow bicycles so we could ride along the scenic bike path by the river. The room was very big and comfortable with a fantastic view of the distant mountains and the Salzach River. They had a place to park our car on the property, which contributed in our decision to stay here. Breakfast was served in the cheery dining room with large windows that looked out into the beautiful garden. The variety of choices that were offered for breakfast told us that they really care about their guests and would like to see them return, which we sincerely hope to do someday. What a treasure this place was.

• Stayed March 2005
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Gastein September 28, 2004 for 3 nights. It is just a short walk along the river to all the sights of Salzburg. The rooms are big and very clean. They have a nice tiled shower/bathtub and the beds have down comforters and feather pillows--you even get a Mozart chocolate on the pillow the first night! The breakfast room is big with picture windows so you can enjoy the beautiful view and the breakfast buffet is wonderful. The staff at Hotel Gastein are so friendly and helpful we will be sure to stay there on our next trip to Austria.

• Stayed September 2004

Been to Hotel Gastein? Share your experiences!