“Historical, romantic, delicious.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Schloss Haunsperg

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salzburg
Schloss Haunsperg
Save Saved
You added Schloss Haunsperg to your Saves list
Hammerstrasse 32, Salzburg 5411, Austria   |
Ranked #9 of 134 Hotels in Salzburg
Brunswick, Georgia
“Historical, romantic, delicious.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

My husband and I went to Europe to celebrate our 10th ann. We flew into Munich and drove to Salzburg straight off. We had been up hours and the drive to the castle was very hard since we were soo tired. But for all that we thought the roads lovely and we were very excited to pull up to the castle. Driving up you can tell that the houses around the castle were fairly new and must have been on land that was originally part of the property. The property is gated and has a hedge around it, so it is quite private and I would forget that right outside were quiet neighborhoods. Driving in,the first sight is the chapel which has a clock in the tower. I thought there must have been a fire at some time because the face looks old and burnt. We asked the owners (Erika and Georg, love them!) and sure enough there was a fire in the 1500s. The castle and chapel are painted a yellow color that is very appealing to the eye, especially since there is lovely ivy climbing up the walls. When we walked up to the front door you couldn't help feeling that the house was very old, but very well taken care of, like you would hope an historical building would be.
The inside is beautiful. Our room was on the 4th floor ( I think there is 5, but the 5th is not for guests. And the climb was very pleasurable. I liked seeing some of the other rooms and in my minds eye I couldn't help but see the ghosts of generations walking through their rooms and I wondered what kind of people they were. In fact there is one painting on the 3rd floor of an older woman from the early 1700s. She is holding a clasped book in her hands and has a mysterious look on her face. I kept coming back to that one our whole stay at the castle. The castle is full of furniture and art that was made for this house. Since the castle has been there since the 1100s, that is saying alot. All beautiful, and we kept stopping to look at new things we had missed.
Anyway, our room was a corner suite with a sitting room, a bedroom and a bath. All our rooms has antiques in them, not just furniture, but also books, doors and latches, and knickknacks. The floor was warm wood (original) and the windows bright and sunny. Our bed was very comfortable and the rooms huge. The only time we heard other guests was when the famous concert violinist, in the room below us, was practicing. It was soooo romantic to be in this beautiful castle and hear this enchanting music float up to our room. He was only there two nights, him and his family were on their way for a big concert in Prague.
The next morning we had breakfast on the ground floor. The food was wonderfully Austrian. The breads and butter, the cereal, the eggs, meats, fruit, etc was very delicious! Even the coffee was wonderful. The dining rooms are domed and castle like with slate floor. Beautiful. I noticed a painting in that room of a stately older man with a pointed silver beard, and my husband and I wondered if he was related to Georg, we asked and it turns out that man was his great grandfather. He had lived in Vienna and been an aristocrat.
The china was beautiful, and it was fun eating our delicious food and listening to Erika tell us about the castle and the people who lived there. My husband speaks german very well, but doesn't get a chance to use it since we live in Alaska. He was pleasantly surprised then when Erika insisted on speaking german with him (most places we went to the people, as nice as they were, didn't want to speak german with us).
It as a blast staying at the Schloss Haunsperg. My husband and I treasure the memory of staying there. We walked down, not far, to an Austrian restaurant not to far away, and there is a chocolate/coffee/bakery down the way that is outstanding. Salzburg its self is one place I couldn't not get tired of.
The last day we were there Georg showed us the chapel. It is very old, but paintings on the ceiling are fresh and vibrant. The wood is polished, and it is well dusted. Georg told us that they still use it sometimes for ceremonies.
So about the owners. Georg is very funny, although I dont think he knows it. Many times he cracked us up with his mannerisms and stories, you cannot help but like the guy. He is about 60 and looks like a professor who is a little absentminded. Erika is very friendly and wonderful. She is brisk and a hard worker, but loves to sit right down with you and converse about almost anything. Erika put us at our ease immediately. And she is a good cook. She looks like the fun adventurous grandmother every one wants. She is very funny too!
There is one thing I would like to add. Wait until your last day there before you ask Erika if the castle has any ghosts.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We had the family suite on the top floor. It was perfect for a family of 5 - one double room and 3 singles. Our children were so happy to have some privacy in the middle of an extended holiday! The rooms were gorgeous and the water pressure was great. Our hosts were absolutely lovely and extremely helpful on all subjects pertaining to the city - day passes, restaurants, parking. We will definitely stay with them again on return trips to Austria.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Burlington,Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We stayed here one night in early July 2009 and it was a very memorable experience. The 14th century castle/hotel is more like a bed and breakfast. The hosts were warm and hospitable- as nice as we have ever met and we have traveled all over Europe. Our suite was 3 bedrooms with antique paintings and furniture hundreds of years old and certainly of great value. The fine decor was in immaculate condition as was everything. The breakfast was simply outstanding with extensive selections and served in a room of great distinction due to its age and furnishings/decor.

The location is surprising as it is in a relatively new residential neighborhood but that did not detract. Nearby is the best salt mine and steepest alpine sled. Salzburg was an easy 30 minute ride away. It is best to have a car if you stay here.

The Schloss Haunsperg is highly recommended for a very unique and memorable experience and the price of 220 euro was a good value in our opinion.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

We booked this as a special treat (it's not cheap) and we weren't disappointed. It's not a hotel, but a really grand bed and breakfast - much better, in my opinion, as you feel you are staying in a place that's cared for, because it's a real home.

The only reasons I haven't given it 5 stars was because of the location - rather out of the way for both Salzburg and the lakes - and because the bathroom was dated.

Everything else was great: welcoming hosts, beautiful antiques, lots of space. The breakfast was amazing - loads and loads of different salamis, hams, cheeses, pates, breads, yoghurts, cereals, juices, even the option of a boiled egg.

• Stayed May 2008
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

A few things you should know before you book...This castle is 45 hard minutes from downtown Salzburg-Not 15 min like the site says.

The castle is old which is neat but not that great when you are looking to shower-The room we stayed in had very little pressure and the water did not get very warm

Breakfast is the same thing over and over again. It seemed to us we saw the same old fruit and bread a few days in a row.

The woman inkeeper Ericka is very nice... He husband can be a bit off putting-Perhaps it is the language barrier?

The bed in our room was terrribly lumpy-like springs in your back side lumpy

If we had to do it over again we would not have spent one night there. Not one. Instead we would have stayed in Salzburg and if that was too expensive we would have chosen a B&B closer in (called Pensions over there)

A great place to stay near Salzburg where you would NOT be let down would be to find a neat B&B or hotel in Berschgarten near the national park-That would be bout 12 minutes from the above Castle and still VERY accessable to Salzburg-Esp for those who like the outdoors

Stayed September 2007
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I spent three wonderful nights in this special castle with my husband and two dear friends. We all had a great time. The castle is enchanting and the hosts are delightful and so welcoming and gracious. It was a treat to stay in their home. Breakfast was topnotch and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else if we ever return to Salzburg.

• Liked — Great hospitality and ambiance
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

On a recent train trip through Europe with my sister, we decided to splurge a bit and stay at the Schloss Haunsperg for two nights while we were in Salzburg. Since all of our other hotels were in city centres, and since Salzburg doesn't exactly have a hopping night life, we decided this would be a good opportunity to stay a little bit outside of the city and hopefully have a unique experience.

The Schloss Haunsperg did not disappoint. In fact, it proved to be more charming than we expected. We arrived in Salzburg by train in the evening, and needed to take a taxi to the schloss. This was the only problem we ran into...our driver wasn't sure where he was going, and ended up charging us 56 euros (the taxi back to the station was only 30 euros), so I recommend working out the fare and directions beforehand. The schloss is about 20 minutes outside of Salzburg, and the drive isn't spectacular, but we were relieved upon our arrival to see that everything was as beautiful as it appears on the website. The property is surrounded by trees, and there are rose bushes all around the entranceway, and a huge yard in the back.

We arrived at around 9:30 p.m., just as it was getting dark and starting to rain (what better way to arrive at an Austrian castle!), and our first concern was that we'd have to take another taxi into Salzburg for dinner. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Georg and Erika as if we had been personally invited to stay with them. Erika showed us to our room, which was the biggest, most ornate room I've ever stayed in...there were two bedrooms, and the anteroom itself was bigger than most hotel rooms. It was full of old paintings and curio cabinets and antique furniture, so you really felt you'd arrived at a long-lost relative's place. Everything was spotlessly clean, and there was also a cute little balcony that overlooked the yard.

Erika suggested that rather than going back into Salzburg we have dinner at the tavern down the road, which we did. No one there appeared to speak any English, and it was already 10:30 by the time we got there, but we still managed to order a yummy dinner and apple struedel for dessert. Afterwards, we were very grateful that we hadn't slogged all the way back to Salzburg in the dark. When we'd returned from dinner our beds were even turned down.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful...lots of yummy cakes, fresh
fruit, cold meat and cereals, and all of it served on china dishes in
a very nice dining room. I had the pleasure of sitting under a painting of grandfather the first morning.

My sister and I are generally taxi snobs and would normally avoid taking a city bus at all costs, but we decided it was the best way to get into Salzburg since the taxi was so expensive. Georg and Erika had an appointment and were leaving before us, but Georg was still kind enough to drive me to the bus stop to show me where it was. He also gave me a map and showed me where the stops were, and the schedule for coming back at night. The bus stop is about a five-minute walk, and then the bus takes 30 minutes. In another city this might have been a drag, but it worked out perfectly for us. We spent the whole day in Salzburg and came back to the schloss on the 10:30 bus.

Salzburg was beautiful and wonderful and one of our favourite destinations on the whole trip, but Georg and Erika and our stay at their schloss made the visit even more memorable. I wanted them to adopt me. Our entire three-week trip throughout Europe was fantastic,
but these were definitely a couple of special days. I'm sure there are plenty of boring hotels right in the heart of Salzburg with every
amenity, but nothing could compare to this.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Schloss Haunsperg? Share your experiences!