“Excellent location, even better was the ever so helpful and friendly Ulrike” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Goldene Ente

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #27 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent location, even better was the ever so helpful and friendly Ulrike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

What can I say about Hotel Golden Ente. We had four fantastic nights in this Hotel, and right now I cant wait to go back.

We arrived from Munich via the train, and before I arrived I e-mailed the Hotel to advise them we would not be arriving until about 8.00pm and to ask for directions to the hotel from the station, Ulrike e-mailed me and advised that taxi was the best option, and it would cost about right euro.

We arrived at the station, got the taxi, and it did cost eight euro! Taxi drops you just around the corner from the hotel as hotel is on pedestrian street.

The hotel bulding is aboout 700 years old, set in the old town, in lovely long narrow streets, very charming. We checked in no problem, girl on reception was so helpful in providing us with a map and list and options of things to see and do in Salzburg, straight away we got a feeling that we would be happy in this hotel.

The room was lovely and quaint, nice size room, nice view overlooking the narrow street. Lovely old style, hotel/room, Nice big wardrobe with dressing gowns, slippers, umbrella, safe all in the wardrobe. The bathroom was a nice size, plenty of room and what I loved was the big deep bath, deeper than what I have seen in a long time. Maybe its my imagination I think the bathroom floor was heated also. TV with plenty of channels on it, nice little table and chair facing the window. And the room was lovely and warm, we slept like a log that night.

We got up that morning and went to breakfast and we got a fantastic greeting from Ulrike at the breakfast, welcomed us to the hotel, was so helpful when he asked her about tours and the sound of music tour, she arranged the tour to collect us that day. The breakfast was really good with the usual tea/cofffee etc cereals, juices, yougarts, toast, meat, fruit, egg etc fantastic choice.

The hotel had internet access for free to all residents also near our room which was a plus, as we stayed in a 4 star hotel in Munich and had no internet as all they had was wireless, which was a bit of a let down.

We ate most nights in the restaurant down below, staff there were top class, we were served by 2 girrls and they were so so helpful and the service was really fast, the apple studle there was the best ever!

In terms of location the hotel is dream, turn right and your right on Mozart place, which is where the tourist office is, Salzburg Musuem, horse trips, and hotel is few min walk to the finuclar train up to the Fortress, which is class. I cant state enough how central the hotel is to everything in Salzburg.

Bit of advise; make sure you go to the tourist office and get the Salzburg card; you will save a lot of money on various musuems and some tours, plus it allows you free access on the bus, you should get it.

Cant stress enough also how helpful and always in good form Ulrike was, it was so nice having that sort of attention in a hotel today, which is why we will certainly return there.

If anyone has any questions on Golden ente or Salzburg dont hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Our son and his wife had stayed at the Goldene Ente 10 years ago and highly recommended it to us. The location in the Old Town of Salzburg is perfect and it is a hotel with character as the building is very old, but well kept. The breakfast was very good too. The restaurant on the ground floor has the best goulash (soup) that I've ever had. Ulrike is so friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure to spend three nights there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel is wonderfully convenient to the main Salzburg sights and in the midst of the pedestrian area. The furnishings of the room were adequate but spartan. The bed was good. It was really hot and sleeping was difficult because our room had little ventilation and no AC. Breakfast was excellent and had a wide variety of breads, meats, eggs, cereals, juices. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Although this hotel was a bit pricey, it was definitely worth being right in the center of the action. The location was excellent. We had a room facing the back--no view, but it was so nice, quiet, and romantic. My parents had a room on the street and said it was a bit noisy at night and early morning, but enjoyed people watching. The staff was excellent. Very friendly and helpful. The morning of my husband and my anniversary, we came down to breakfast and there were rose petals on the table, a candle, and a small bottle of champagne. What a lovely way to start the day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
West Wales UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed here in mid June with a group of friends on a mature ladies hen-weekend. We had the top floor apartment which was lovely as we all got to stay together rather than in separate hotel rooms.
The apartment was spotlessly clean with a large bathroom and an extra separate toilet. There was also a small kitchen which was very handy. The owner is a lovely lady who cannot do enough and the breakfast is very good.
The cost between the five of us ladies worked out around 40 euros each, maybe a bit less which was excellent value. I would definately stay here again and would recommend it to anyone. The location couldn't be better, there is even a bar/cafe on the ground floor, what more could you want? .

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in mid-July. The cab ride from the train station was 8 Euros and took just a few minutes. I can't imagine a better location... just steps away from the Residenzplatz and cathedral, and right in the heart of a pedestrian-only area filled with shops, cafes, and everything you could want. The TI and ticket office is just a short walk away, too. As a solo traveler, I paid 100 Euros per night for a double room, since there were no singles available. (The ordinary double rate was 125, and the ordinary single rate was 75, so 100 was a reasonable compromise but still rather steep in my book.) Ulrike, the office manager, is an EXCEPTIONALLY attentive and friendly hostess who personally looked after my every need-- more so than at any other hotel I've visited in nearly 30 countries. From taxis to train tickets to iron/ironing board and sightseeing advice, she cheerfully pitched in and made me feel as though I were the only guest at the hotel (which I clearly wasn't). If it weren't for her, I might have felt that I overpaid, but she really made the stay. The room itself was comfortable and more spacious, obviously, than a typical single... it overlooked the narrow front pedestrian alley but was nonetheless quiet. I don't believe there was any A/C but I didn't need it; there was an in-room safe for a fee, which I didn't use, and a computer with internet access is available for free on the first floor. The bathroom was a bit worn but clean, and there was plenty of hot water and good pressure. The bed was very comfortable. Everything I wanted to see was within walking distance-- I researched hotels very carefully for my two-week tour of Austria, and I don't believe there's a better situated one in Salzburg. Yes, the price was higher than I am usually willing to pay, but for the location and Ulrike's attentiveness, I'd say it was worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Golden Ente for three nights with my daughter on our trip to Austria, and Germany. I found the hotel via the internet, and had to change dates once. Email correspondence with Ulrike was prompt, and professional. She made the stay so wonderful! It was as if we knew her all of our lives. She helped us with sightseeing bookings, and made my teenage daughter feel special each time we saw her. The room was clean, and the beds comfortable. You couldn't match the closeness to sights, as you were in the heart of the city, tucked in a charming, narrow side street. We ended each night sitting out at the outdoor cafe, and watching the people amber by.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Goldene Ente? Share your experiences!