“Pension Sandwirt” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pension Sandwirt

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salzburg
Pension Sandwirt
Lastenstr. 6a, Salzburg 5020, Austria   |
Ranked #118 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pension Sandwirt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A good budget option in Salzburg, the decor is a bit tired but the place is clean and tidy and the hosts very helpful. Very close to the railway station and within walking distance of the main attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Loved the Mozart chocolate as welcoming, and very cozy room and the host was kind enough to let us borrow her kitchen, best dinner we had! Yet the cigarette smell is realy heavy in the building, and weired showering design(right in the room), seperate toilet are bit of backcuts. Overall it's a joyful stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

I must let everyone know that the time I spend at the Pension Sandwirt was the best in my life. I’m from Vancouver, Canada and I absolutely loved not only this Pension but most of all the people who ran it. They are very trusting, honest and loving. I spent time in every country in Western Europe and sometime in Eastern Europe and this is the place that I WILL revisit soon and often! I recommend it to everyone!

• Liked — The people who run it!
  • Disliked — That I wish I could not stayed there longer!
  • Stayed November 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Was in a hurry to book somewhere in Salzburg and this was available, single room for 23 Euros. It was a good deal for the price overall. I booked over the phone and no credit card no. was required as guarantee. Don't leave the railway station to find the hotel - just walk to the end of the platform and you'll see the small footbridge over the tracks with steps leading up to it. Cross the bridge and Sandwirt is very close by.
A nice middle aged lady greeted me and gave me a weather forecast as i was going straight up Untersberg mountain by cable car. She seemed very worldly with all the experience brought from having two thousand travellers pass through her home over the years.
I had room 8 on the top floor of the hotel. Twin room for single room price. It was clean but 'worn' and a bit threadbare in places. I peered into a room being cleaned the following morning and there were two cleaners hard at work which was reassuring. However I did notice on the unmade up bed next to mine (they only put a duvet cover and pillow case on one set of bedding knowing only one person was arriving there) that the neatly folder duvet had a few old yellow stains on it and so did the pillow case, which made me wonder about the quality of mine. I didn't look! I bring my own pillow case on holiday anyway so i always have a double layer just in case. I suggest they buy new bedding but i must stress these are marks a washing machine can't remove, i didn't feel there was a health risk as the bedding was as clean as old bedding can be...I wasn't itching anyway!
No ensuite toilet here but there is a clean one across the hall. One drawback of this is that this means guests might continually be coming and going from it at night and I was woken twice by doors being opened and closed. Youngsters will book here at these prices and come in late.
A reasonable breakfast is served in the morning.
For the price this was pretty good. If I had more time I would book my usual mid-range place instead for 60 -100 Euros but this place did an acceptable job with what was on offer in this range.
Mike, London

• Liked — Location near the railway station as I had to go to Vienna early the next day
  • Disliked — Other guests using the communal toilet in the middle of the night and waking me up shutting doors
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
PERTH,WESTERN AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

Thanks to a previous review in Trip Advisor I booked this pension in Salzburg. It was the lowest priced accomodation we had used , so I was prepared for very basic.
From the moment we arrived at the front reception area we knew this was going to be a very comfortable and friendly stay. Claudia made us very welcome and gave us plenty of useful advice. We had planned to take a tour, but she advised waiting for a weather report that evening. She proved correct, as it poured raining the next day, still spent happily exploring beautiful Salzburg. The following day's tour a delight.
The rooms are very spacious and have a shower cubicle in the corner, with a vanity unit. You will need to go out into the corridor for the toilet, only a few steps away. The rooms are pleasant , fresh and clean.
Breakfast is downstairs in a lovely homely little room, where you can chat to fellow travellers. The breakfast is plentiful and nothing is too much trouble.
Salzburg is a lovely place to visit and Pension Sandwirt a real find - great value at 22euros per person/per night. I booked direct, phoning the pension, as I could not find an email contact. They replied by email with my booking, so I do have this available now if needed.

• Liked — Owners,location close to train station, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

Clean, friendly, and inexpensive. Our daughter stayed at this pension in November of 2004 when she traveled to Salzburg while on break from studies in Florence. She recommended it highly to us for the nice proprietors, the Herzogs; the location near the train station and the short 15 minute walk to the old city; and the simple but good breakfast. We loved Pension Sandwirt too, when we stayed there in April 2006. We had two rooms for E22 per night per person; a double for my wife and me and a single for our son. Our double was simply but adequately furnished and had a shower and sink in room. The room and w/c's in the hallway on our floor were spotless. This was the best value for the money of all of our accommodations on our trip which also covered Munich, the Rhine valley, and Zurich. We had a great meal too, at the restaurant Weiser located on the street behind the Pension Sandwirt.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

Pension Sandwirt was the best deal we got in our 2 months in Europe. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They even had a train schedule there. The location was great - just across from the train station (although it was still very quiet) and an easy walk to the city centre. The rooms were clean, and the beds were very comfortable. It would have been nice to have a private bathroom, but for how little we paid, we really didn't need one, and there was a sink in the room anyway.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Pension Sandwirt? Share your experiences!