“Awful building noise on weekday mornings” 2 of 5 stars

Schwarzes Rossl
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Priesterhausgasse 6, Salzburg A-5020, Austria   |
Ranked #73 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
London
“Awful building noise on weekday mornings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

The demolition and rebuilding work at the back of the hotel is still ongoing and starts up at 07.20 every weekday. The noise is hideous and makes it impossible to sleep once it starts. The work did not happen on Saturday or Sunday morning so I was able to have a "lie-in" on those days despite some enthusiastic bell-ringing around town. I was at the end of a corridor so at least I did not get the noise of the creaky stairs.

I asked to be moved to another room at the front but was told this was not possible as the hotel was full. The member of staff's look told me that she often got this request and I saw one other person making the same complaint during my stay. It seemed to me that she did not want the administrative hassle of moving a guest from one room to another. However most of the rooms are at the back.

As of mid-September 2010, the building being worked on still looks mostly like a shell so I would imagine the work will carry on until the end of October or longer.

My room was a "twin for single use" with two single beds in it that were firm and not uncomfortable. It was clearly student accommodation, albeit fairly good student accommodation. A couple of large cupboards that had a few hangars were useful but this is a "no frills" establishment.

The room was generally clean but the standard of cleaning varied from day to day and lacked attention to detail. There was dry food residue from a previous guest at the base of one of the beds that was not cleaned during my stay, Towels were not changed one day despite being left in the shower. Pillows were normally left where they had been on the bed.

Despite not being able to move me to another room, the staff were however very friendly and helpful, all speaking very good English. They even gave some advice on travel to a friend of mine who was waiting for me in reception and wasn't even staying at the hotel.

I thought the location was very good. It's in the heart of the new town and right near the main bridge over into Altstadt. The hotel was 15-20 minutes walk from the train station - or you could catch a bus pretty much all of the way there.

Breakfast, on the other hand, was inedible muck. And there wasn't enough of it. The juice drink was particularly nasty; I can't recall having tasted a more disgusting flavoured juice drink in my life.

The free wifi was very useful, even if I could only access it from the lobby and breakfast rooms and not from my own room; ask the receptionist for the password. There is supposed to be a wired connection in each room but I did not bother looking for the socket as I only had a wifi phone; there was a cable for this in one of the bedside cabinets.

If leaving a bag at the hotel for a few hours on check-out, they ask you to just leave it out in the open in the lobby and do not offer to lock it up. For anyone with valuables, or scruples about white lies at check-in desks, this might be a problem.

Overall a very mixed bag. Not bad value for money if you can avoid the building works and don't want a decent breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Osprey, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This hotel is very nice, has a great location, the room was spacious and the employees are very helpful. We found that we needed to have the windows open for some cool air and the noise at night from the bars in the alley was LOUD all night long, every night. The demolition in the buildings across the alley from us was at a standstill when we were there, but I could see how it could be a noise problem. The bathroom was small and the breakfast was a little sparse. Overall, I liked the hotel and would return if the conditions are right.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed at the Schwarzes Rossl for 6 nights. On the first morning I was woken up at 7am by very loud building noise. They are demolishing the building at the back of the hotel and they work on it from very early in the morning at least 6 days a week. I asked to be moved to a room at the other side of the hotel. The man on Reception was very nice and very helpful and did eventually manage to move our room. Had we been forced to stay at the back side of the hotel I think I may have lost my mind SO if you are staying here then pre-request a room at the front of the hotel.

Noise aside this is a great hotel I think. The location is perfect - a 3 minute walk from the old town on the other side of the River. the rooms were large, bright, clean and nicely furnished with some old fashioned Austrian touches. It was perfect for us.

Breakfast is unremarkable but adequate - basic cereal, bread rolls, one type of cheese and one type of processed ham. There's a hot drinks machine with as much coffee and hot chocolate as you want too.

The only slight minus points were: No tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms, no tea at breakfast (well only Earl Grey - wuh. Take some bags with you) and the main staircase is super creaky so if your room backs on to it as ours did then the noise from people tramping up and down is fairly annoying.

I would stay here again because of the great rooms, the location and the helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

Stayed 3 nights. Room is simple, spacious, and clean. Bathroom is small but again clean and functional. Hotel is on a side street so it's pretty quiet to begin with. Double windows in the room makes it dead quiet. Breakfast is basic but plentiful. For the money, it's a great value.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

This hotel is student accommodation that is let out for the summer as a hotel. I expected that it would be like a youth hostel, but instead it truly is like a hotel.

The hotel is very clean with modern facilities. My single room contained a washbasin, mirror, fridge, desk, wardrobe and two single beds. Some of the furniture was decorated in a traditional style. Double windows were installed so cold and noise were no problem. There was also double doors for some reason...

The included breakfast was a selection of bread, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, juices and coffee from a machine. The hotel has a lift and the staff are very helpful. Only a short walk to the Old Town, and walking distance to the train station (although it is about at the limit of walking distance).

• Liked — Great value for money and high standard
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Honolulu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

The location was good and the room decent enough. Their service was terrible. I stayed 4 nights and out of the 4 nights, they only cleaned once. The other days I put out the "Please clean room" sign but to no avail. I had to keep asking the front-desk clerk to have the room cleaned and towels changed. One day, the clerk told me the cleaning person said I had put out the sign not to clean. Now why would I do that when I am going out for the day? To make matters worse, he didn't even offer to change out the towels for me. I had to ask myself. And then he sent someone some time later who banged on the front door and then just dropped the towels off without a word. This is one lodging I would never recommend nor return.

• Disliked — hotel staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

Found this place in the Lonely Planet. A big old building with a great location, just over the river from the old city, close to bars and shops. The place is a bit worn-in but in a charming way, with nice old furniture and a cranky old lift. The staff were always helpful and the room was big and clean.

A hotel with great character, and a perfect base for exploring Salzburg.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Schwarzes Rossl? Share your experiences!