“A Lovely hotel with views over the city” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Schloss Monchstein
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Monchsbergpark 26, Salzburg 5020, Austria   |
Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Salzburg
London, England
“A Lovely hotel with views over the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We booked this hotel for two nights during a road trip across Europe. The hotel is located 15 minutes outside the Centre. There is quite a long walk to the lift which takes you down to the tramway, but as I was suffering from a leg injury, we used our car to drive into town and park. We never found a problem parking even though the centre is pedestrianized.

We arrived to a torrential downpour and were taken to the rear conservatory for a free welcome drink and to wait for the rain to stop so that they could bring in our bags from the car.

Whilst sitting there, there was an enormous crash of thunder and lightning, and the receptionist came in a few minutes later to tell us that the lightning had actually hit the building and that among other thing the lifts had stopped working.

We were shown to our room which was on the fifth floor and unfortunately had a view of the car park. I told the receptionist that I wasn't really "knocked out" by the view.

A little later, with the lifts still not working, we made our way down to reception where we were greeted by the manager, who apologized about our room and said that in view of the problems with the lift, they were moving us to a second floor suite. Lovely.

Breakfast was very 5 star, if a little too posh for my liking. Free parking and Wifi.

If you like traditional chataeu style hotels, you will love this place. The staff couldn’t be more helpful. True 5 star.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We spent one night at the Schloss Monchstein and were very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and the staff's prompt attentive service. Our room was a little on the small side, but we didn't come to Salzburg to stay in our room!

The hotel is situated on top of a mountain overlooking the city of Salzburg. My only complaint about the hotel's location is that there are quite a few trees blocking what would have been a spectacular view of the city. Time to trim a few of them!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Almost everything about this hotel is spectacular. Our junior suite had Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons quality furnishings. The bed, the chairs, desk the bath were all best of the best.

The entire staff were genuinely pleasant, polite and helpful. Oftentimes staff at hotels of this caliber are pompous and full of themselves. Not here!

The only negative is the air conditioning in the guest rooms is totally inadequate. (Staff told me that they are planning on replacing the air conditioning system before Summer 2012).

If you are driving to the hotel without a navigation system, be warned that it is extremely difficult to find. Googgle Map directions were incorrect and the directions on the hotel web site were inadequate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
East Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

This handsome hotel exceeded my wife's and my expectations for luxury, comfort, convenience to the Old Town, and views of the beautiful city of Salzburg. For that alone, we would be delighted to stay here again.

But our true delight was in the pleasantness and personal warmth of the staff, which went far beyond being merely helpful and efficient (which all the staff certainly were).

Many hotels instruct their staff to greet guests by name, ask if they can be of assistance, wish them a pleasant day, and so on. Here, we felt the staff truly DID have a personal interest in our comfort and enjoyment.

We can't imagine a more wonderful stay than the one we had here. We can hardly wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Schloss Monchstein is lovely from the moment you drive up the winding hill. It's appearance is very castle like and we had a nice warm welcome. We were upgraded to a junior suite, with a beautiful marble bathroom. The food and service is excellent. It is just a pleasant walk through a park to a lift down into the old part of Salzburg. Great town with lots of shopping and cultural sights.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Where to begin? From arrival to departure, this is by far, and I mean by far, the best service you could ask for, and one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed.

We arrived 4 hours after we called to inform the front desk of our arrival, and when we did arrive, they greeted us BY NAME! I didn't tell them when we would arrive, and we weren't the only ones staying there. How they knew, I still don't know. And when we got there, they told us to not check in yet, but drop off our bags and have a drink before we got our keys, and there was a drink a the bar waiting for us.

After relaxing and then checking in, they informed us that our room had been upgrading, compliments of the house, and we had a master suite, which was a large room with full Jacuzzi tub, very very nice. We booked "The smallest restaurant in the world" for our dinner reservation, which is on the top floor in the old bell tower. There is only one table, and its truly romantic. Our server showed up 5 minutes prior at our door to come and escort us upstairs.

After one of the best meals we had had in Europe for our trip, an excellent Sachertorte (Austrian chocolate "cake") for my wife with her name on it, a personalized jar of jam, a quaint breakfast, we checked out the next day. What a great experience, and we will definitely stay here, and only here, next time, regardless of the cost. They really know how to take care of you.

And after all those added features, there was no extra cost on our bill, which I was very surprised about. I thought for sure they would charge for the dinner, drinks, breakfast, cake, etc. but they did not, so while it was an expensive night, it was well worth the cost with how you are treated. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
boca raton, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

When I first arrived at the hotel I was worried I had made a mistake by not having stayed more in the city, but soon realized that we were in the best spot possible! The castle sits up on a hill and has the most spectacular views. It is only a short scenic walk to an elevator which puts you right in the city. In my opinion you get the best of both world;. you are close to all the sites yet you can retire to your quiet castle with spectacular views. The suite was spacious, just like in the picture. The service was good. When we arrived we were immediately taken to a lounge and offered something to drink while they parked our car and took our things up to the room. The will also unpack and organize you. I mentioned I was interested in a tour and within minutes she returned to inform for me that the tour was arranged and they would be picking us up shortley. The castle and the grounds were very beautiful and I must say that I did not expereince anything like the previous reviewer wrote in reference to the couples. The only thing I would say is that I felt they might be short on staff since we didn't get the usual greetings and door openings that we had become accustomed to, but this did not take away from the pleasure of our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Schloss Monchstein? Share your experiences!