“Great location, nice views of the Salzburg, no complaints.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Schloss Monchstein
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Monchsbergpark 26, Salzburg 5020, Austria   |
Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Salzburg
Toronto
“Great location, nice views of the Salzburg, no complaints.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We spent one night at the Schloss Monchstein and were very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and the staff's prompt attentive service. Our room was a little on the small side, but we didn't come to Salzburg to stay in our room!

The hotel is situated on top of a mountain overlooking the city of Salzburg. My only complaint about the hotel's location is that there are quite a few trees blocking what would have been a spectacular view of the city. Time to trim a few of them!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Almost everything about this hotel is spectacular. Our junior suite had Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons quality furnishings. The bed, the chairs, desk the bath were all best of the best.

The entire staff were genuinely pleasant, polite and helpful. Oftentimes staff at hotels of this caliber are pompous and full of themselves. Not here!

The only negative is the air conditioning in the guest rooms is totally inadequate. (Staff told me that they are planning on replacing the air conditioning system before Summer 2012).

If you are driving to the hotel without a navigation system, be warned that it is extremely difficult to find. Googgle Map directions were incorrect and the directions on the hotel web site were inadequate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
East Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

This handsome hotel exceeded my wife's and my expectations for luxury, comfort, convenience to the Old Town, and views of the beautiful city of Salzburg. For that alone, we would be delighted to stay here again.

But our true delight was in the pleasantness and personal warmth of the staff, which went far beyond being merely helpful and efficient (which all the staff certainly were).

Many hotels instruct their staff to greet guests by name, ask if they can be of assistance, wish them a pleasant day, and so on. Here, we felt the staff truly DID have a personal interest in our comfort and enjoyment.

We can't imagine a more wonderful stay than the one we had here. We can hardly wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Schloss Monchstein is lovely from the moment you drive up the winding hill. It's appearance is very castle like and we had a nice warm welcome. We were upgraded to a junior suite, with a beautiful marble bathroom. The food and service is excellent. It is just a pleasant walk through a park to a lift down into the old part of Salzburg. Great town with lots of shopping and cultural sights.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Where to begin? From arrival to departure, this is by far, and I mean by far, the best service you could ask for, and one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed.

We arrived 4 hours after we called to inform the front desk of our arrival, and when we did arrive, they greeted us BY NAME! I didn't tell them when we would arrive, and we weren't the only ones staying there. How they knew, I still don't know. And when we got there, they told us to not check in yet, but drop off our bags and have a drink before we got our keys, and there was a drink a the bar waiting for us.

After relaxing and then checking in, they informed us that our room had been upgrading, compliments of the house, and we had a master suite, which was a large room with full Jacuzzi tub, very very nice. We booked "The smallest restaurant in the world" for our dinner reservation, which is on the top floor in the old bell tower. There is only one table, and its truly romantic. Our server showed up 5 minutes prior at our door to come and escort us upstairs.

After one of the best meals we had had in Europe for our trip, an excellent Sachertorte (Austrian chocolate "cake") for my wife with her name on it, a personalized jar of jam, a quaint breakfast, we checked out the next day. What a great experience, and we will definitely stay here, and only here, next time, regardless of the cost. They really know how to take care of you.

And after all those added features, there was no extra cost on our bill, which I was very surprised about. I thought for sure they would charge for the dinner, drinks, breakfast, cake, etc. but they did not, so while it was an expensive night, it was well worth the cost with how you are treated. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
boca raton, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

When I first arrived at the hotel I was worried I had made a mistake by not having stayed more in the city, but soon realized that we were in the best spot possible! The castle sits up on a hill and has the most spectacular views. It is only a short scenic walk to an elevator which puts you right in the city. In my opinion you get the best of both world;. you are close to all the sites yet you can retire to your quiet castle with spectacular views. The suite was spacious, just like in the picture. The service was good. When we arrived we were immediately taken to a lounge and offered something to drink while they parked our car and took our things up to the room. The will also unpack and organize you. I mentioned I was interested in a tour and within minutes she returned to inform for me that the tour was arranged and they would be picking us up shortley. The castle and the grounds were very beautiful and I must say that I did not expereince anything like the previous reviewer wrote in reference to the couples. The only thing I would say is that I felt they might be short on staff since we didn't get the usual greetings and door openings that we had become accustomed to, but this did not take away from the pleasure of our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Woodside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I sat in the dinning room of this wonderful hotel with my fiancé. She is 10 years my junior and many people take her for being much younger than her actual age. It makes you wonder why another traveler would be making value judgments on us rather than the hotel. Perhaps their own dinner companion was too mundane or boring to keep their attention. But, it is of no matter because I would like to report that this establishment went out of their way to provide us with a romantic wedding in their Chapel. Our stay was filled with thoughtful “small” acts by the staff for us. Memories were made by their service and this outstanding property.
I’m happy to report that we are planning our anniversary for the coming October in Salzburg and will definitely be staying at Hotel Schloss Monchstein. One final thing to report; that wedding was 20 years ago and we are still in love and have 2 grown kids in college. Some things (certain kind of people) and this wonderful hotel have not changed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Schloss Monchstein? Share your experiences!