“Nice privilege room at Mercure in Salzburg” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Salzburg Central

Save Saved
You added Mercure Salzburg Central to your Saves list
Mercure Salzburg Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sterneckstrasse 20, Salzburg 5020, Austria (Formerly Dorint Salzburg)   |
Ranked #37 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Leuven, Belgium
“Nice privilege room at Mercure in Salzburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

For my participation in a conference in Salzburg, I choose to stay at the Mercure Central hotel and I extended my stay for the weekend. I booked a privilege room. Good location: old city, shopping streets and Salzburg congress within walking distance, but not the most charming part of the city. And on Sunday: less than 1 hour drive from Salzburg Sportwelt ski resorts!

I really enjoyed the privilege room: excellent bed, I slept very well. Nice modern bathroom with walk-in rain shower: another essential feature which I like very much. Bathrobe and slippers in the room: very practical to use the sauna in the hotel. Free drinks from the minibar in the room: again very nice. The room was also equipped with a Nespresso machine, but I never drink coffee, so I used the minibar ;-) All together not very cheap, but value for money. Small remark: bathroom amenities were not resupplied.

Very good breakfast buffet, but 4 days was enough. I also had dinner 1 night: very good food, but very cool atmosphere, since there were only 2 guests... Reception area is has a rather cool atmosphere, reception desk staff could not really help me to make a concert reservation. They just told me to do the reservation via internet. I also used the sauna in the hotel: one day is was not really heated anymore, the other day is was perfect.

Room Tip: I can recommend a privilege room, preferably at the south side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
baliamis, Manager at Mercure Salzburg Central, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Peter_leuvenS,

thank you for your great feedback regarding the Mercure Salzburg Central. We enjoyed reading that you like the room and its design. Beside of that we apologize that our front desk staff had been not able to help you and obvisouly have not taken the effort to do so. We will take this into consideration when it comes to our staff trainings.

We hope we can welcome you again the future or maybe in another Hotel of the Accor Chain.

Best regards from Salzburg

614 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were happy with the location of the hotel in terms of proximity to the train station. It was walkable in 20 minutes even with our luggage. We arrived at the hotel shortly after 1:30 pm and were immediately told that our room was not available. The curt man at the front desk didn't bother to even check to see, he just went over and opened a closet door for us to throw our luggage in. We patiently waited in the lobby until he finally checked and found that our room was indeed ready. The wifi in our room was not even worth trying to use. The signal was incredibly weak. The breakfast, although a tad pricey, was very good. The hotel is a bit of a hike from the main tourist sights, although not horrible. 15 minutes to Mirabell Gardens.

Room Tip: Room 325 has horrible wifi, but it is quiet for sleeping
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
baliamis, Manager at Mercure Salzburg Central, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Ann P,

thank you for your review regarding your stay in the Mercure Salzburg Central. We appreciate reading that you have enjoyed your stay in Salzburg.
Please be assured that we always do our best to check in our guests before the regular check in time of 3 pm as we although need the time to clean our departure rooms. You are always welcomed to store your luggae in our baggage room and expliore the city of Salzburg in the meantime.

We hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Best regards from Salzburg

Barlad, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

It is a comfortable hotel,but my room was at the front of the hotel ,on a very busy main road and was noise from cars/the windows not soundproof .The room was clean,spacious and good furnished; warm atmosphere.
The sauna is good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
baliamis, Manager at Mercure Salzburg Central, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guests,

we thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us on Tripadvisor. We appreciate reading that you have enjoyed your stay in Salzburg.

We hope we can welcome you one time again.

Best regards,

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had expected something a bit special with a Mercure Hotel but felt very let down with this booking. We had a very early morning flight to Salzburg, and arrived at the hotel at about 10.30 am. There was NO welcome; a man appeared from the back room. I explained we had a 4 night reservation and he waved my paperwork away saying "You are early. Keep that until you book in." He then started tapping on his computer, not looking at us. We didn't know if we had been dismissed, whether he was looking at our booking or what - we were left hanging. I was looking for an opportunity to ask if we could leave our bags when he said "You have requested a double bed and large window". (I knew there were some rooms with large windows). He said we could have a superior room for an extra 15 Euros a night. I asked if we could see a standard and a superior room, which he let us do. Strangely, the superior room was exactly the same as the standard (both tired). The superior was SMALLER than the standard, but had a double bed, whilst the standard had three singles. We returned to reception and I said we would be happy with a standard, but could we have a double bed as requested. He said abruptly "I told you; double beds only come with the superior room!" My paperwork plainly stated that we had booked a standard room, with either double or twin room, but he would not accept that. The hotel was not busy and there was obviously availability with the double bedded room so I cannot understand why he was penalising us. It was really strange, leaving us with "a nasty taste in our mouths". We felt as if we were something the cat had dragged in - really cold and unfriendly. Anyway, we stuck to the twin room and it was a pain having the beds pushed together with the rather small single duvets to cover us. The view from our window (which was the same as the superior) was of a concrete wall, a garage forecourt and a nightclub advertising a sex magazine! Not the picturesque image we had expected from a Salzburg hotel (the area itself wasn't sleazy - just a busy main road with offices and buildings). We left our bags in our room and decided to go out as the weather was nice. There was a pad of maps on reception. I asked for one, and had to ask whereabouts we actually were. There was no help in directing us to the Old Town - no "have a nice day" comment or anything. We did our best to orientate ourselves but actually went a very long way round and were quite exhausted by the time we reached the river. (Going the direct route took about 18 mins so not bad). Mercure, if you read this, it costs nothing to give people a warm welcome on arrival when your guests are tired etc - and to make them feel valued. Surely we were not the first guests to arrive by plane and thus arrive at the hotel earlier than check in time? We were not demanding to go to our room; just wanted to find where our home would be for the next week and leave our bags. I still feel stunned by how we were treated. ( I would like to say that when we checked out at 6.30 am on Friday 17th Jan, there was an extremely lovely "older" man who couldn't do enough for us. I only wish he had been there to welcome us on arrival. Also, we met Katie on our last day, who was English and had a lovely smile. Perhaps if she had been on duty our experience would have been different).

We certainly were not looking forward to returning to the hotel at the end of a tiring day; the hotel room was cold even when the heating had been on for 2 hours. I went down to reception (by this time there was a young girl on duty). I asked if we could have a heater, explained there was a great deal of noise coming up from the car wash in the garage and asked if we could have some extra bedding and that a double quilt cover would be nice. She promptly brought up a heater and some more bedding - but they were additional single quilts. If we could have pushed the beds together and had a double quilt it would have worked better - but the small single quilts were a joke. The bathroom was tired; the sink and surrounding area was plastic with a cigarette burn and a chip in the plastic basin. Very bland. We didn't sleep well at all over the four nights, and again, didn't look forward to returning at the end of a busy day. The one very good thing was that we did have a bath which was deep, and there was lashings of hot water so we were able to soak.

BREAKFAST - Saving Grace! This was excellent. Self-service, everything you could want and of good quality. Coffee, tea and hot choc of excellent standard too! Restaurant setting nice. Really set us up for the day.

We did have a good deal when we booked directly through Mercure and we had received a friendly email prior to leaving the UK in answer to our question asking if we could get to them by bus. However, I have never received such a cold "non-welcome" on arrival at any hotel the world over and am still feeling perplexed by our treatment. The holiday was to celebrate my husband's 60th and even he said he was surprised at our treatment (and things don't normally concern him). January is a quiet time in Salzburg, and some attractions etc weren't open (sadly the Salt Mines were closed for 3 weeks over this period which was something I wanted my husband to experience). So to have felt valued and welcomed on arrival would have been appreciated and a bonus. I would feel apprehensive about booking another Mercure Hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
baliamis, Manager at Mercure Salzburg Central, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Piglet56,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Salzburg Central. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, we will pass your feedback to our Front Desk Manager in order to take this as a chance for training and improvement.

Best regards,
Thomas Baliamis, General Manager Mercure Hotels Salzburg

Been to Mercure Salzburg Central? Share your experiences!