“Great location, Romantic city” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #60 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Glasgow
“Great location, Romantic city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I would like to stay in the Goldener Hirsch Hotel but it's fully booked. Me and my partner looked around and realise that other then Goldener Hirsch, this is the only 5 star hotel located in the heart of the shopping district. We drived from Wien to Salzburg and have some difficulties looking for the hotel, then realise that we actually drived pass it twice. Silly us. Then we didn't know where to park our car to unload our luggages. Note: Don't expect a very obvious driveway into the hotel. After we inform the receptionist, we got helped immediately, from luggage(which is expected) to parking of car. The hotel do not have their own carpark, so it's parked a distance away. But they would park your car for you and retreive it for you whenever you want it(a 20mins notice thou').

I'm pleased with their service, location is GREAT, like really fantastic. The hotel is charming, lovely old style, BIG PLUS, they upgraded us to a suite so i can't really complain. But moan for moaning sake, i'm slightly disappointed with the tiles in the toilet. Although it's big and spacious with marble floors, it's mixed with some cheap 'plasticty looking' tiles. Plus the marble isn't polished at all. Although it comes with a bath(i would say, small for a suite) the shower is really small and water pressure isn't good.

During my stay, i was rudely awakened one early morning(note that i never plan to wake up early mornings during my holidays) around 9am to loud drillings and hammering. Goodness gracious. I phoned the receptionist to find out what's going on, only to find out the room next door has a water pipe problem and that it'll go on for 2 hours. Hell! I tried to go back to bed to no avail. Finally dragged myself out of the bed but that pretty much spoilt my whole day as i am too tired to enjoy my tour and dinner. What finally annoys me most is their indifferent attitude towards it. While i understand that they can't quite do anything to a broken pipe all we are offered is a sorry.

I made my partner asked for something, i mean gosh! Do we even have to ask for it! Like, shouldn't it be offered automatically. And what's most appalling is they reply. They are sorry about it. Hmmm... Well, to be fair, we leave it at that and did not persist. Certainly not a 4, not to mention, 5 stars hotel doing. They would usually offer a fruit basket or some vouchers for their in-house dinning etc. (not that i actually want to eat any fruits) But it does shows how much they value their customer.

We went to their in-house restaurant, symphony, afew times for coffee and snacks. Friendly but SLOW. It takes them 10 minutes to get us the menu after sitting us down at the table twice and another 10 to get your order. But their pumpkin soup and nougat dumpling dessert is worth waiting for!

All in all, while they are friendly and capable in providing sufficient help like you would expect in any other hotels, they are, in my opinion, inapt at solving problems. Still, with such great location, and i have to say, other then the noisy morning day, we had a great holiday in salzburg, it's the most romantic city i have ever been to(echoed by my partner) and we had one of our best new year's day. < Imagine count down with the backdrop which brings you back 50years, all clean, posh and enchanting down to the most exquisite details, champagne in hands, the church bells lovely 'dong' sound, and finally Strauss Blue Danube Waltz instead of some loud ridiculous music and couples waltzing at midnight. It doesn't have to be feb for romance to be in the air.> And at such great price, and a upgrade to a suite, although i would usually give it 4 stars, it wouldn't do justice to such an occasion.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom and bed
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

Where to start...Salzburg, AU., is perhaps one of the most beautiful cities in the WORLD! Not only is it rich with history and culture, but the people of Salzburg are warm an very friendly. The attractions are to numerous to mention. Restaurants abound, outside coffee shoppees are excellent, and again friendly.
This hotel in the heart of the shopping district, OUTSTANDING! The staff seem as thought they can't do enough to please. The food excellent, and breakfast or dinner in the solarium is a feast for the eyes while gazing out across the river to view the Monastery atop the mountain. This Hotel is like living your own history just thinking about this old but very modern Hotel. It might be a little more but worth the additional euro's.
The old cemetery of Salzburg....fabulous. The remains of a WWII underground bunker that's been converted to a pedestrian walkway leading to parking garage. The old castle atop the mountain.... not to worry you don't have to hike up there, there's a cable tram car that swiftly lifts one to the top. Allow at least a 1/2 day to view this piece of history, in beautiful Salzburg. My suggestion is take your time and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! We plan on a retun visit in Dec to view this beautiful city fully lluminated for the Holiday, and again we'll definitly stay at this Hotel, especially since it's within walking distance to .....EVERYWHERE! except the train.
PS the bus to Berchesgarden right outside the front door of the hotel. TIP...if you want to see Eagles Nest, make sure you get there before Sept. as it usually gets snowed in by the middle of the month.
Great Travels to YOU.

• Liked — Cleanlyess, Friendlyness, Atmosphere.....What's Not to Like!
  • Disliked — The spacious rooms seemed somewhat disassociated with the rest of the room. But perhaps it was just our perticular room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

Perfect spot in The Old Town and within walking distance to all the main attractions.We had a really nice buffet style breakfast each morning in the restaurant overlooking the beautiful Salz River. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was superb. The only slight minus is that our room overlooked the lanes so it was a bit dark but this would not put us off staying there again. The Old Town is far nicer and romantic than the New Town so is worth paying the extra. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere with Mozart music playing as you walk through the corridors. (you cannot hear this from your room) We highly recommend a meal in the Fort and The Sound of music Tour. Theres so much to see.

Stayed March 2007
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Stayed here for four nights with my Mum in December 2007, and would recommend it. The hotel is the oldest Inn in the city and full of charm and character, and in a fabulous location. It has 49 rooms and 13 suites.

We had a lovely room on the third floor overlooking Judengrasse, directly opposite the Salzburg Christmas Shop, which was over 4 floors!! The room was huge, with two large single beds and a three sweater sofa, large arm chair and coffee table, a desk and huge TV unit in the bedroom as well as two dressing tables, another corner chair and a very large traditionally carved old wooden wardrobe. The entrance hall of the room had a fabulous coat stand with a mirror and two umbrellas you were welcome to borrow from the hotel if the weather turned bad. The bathroom was an alright size, with a double sink unit, a toilet, bidet and bath/shower. Ours had a slight problem with the shower that water shot out from the join of the hose to the taps and made showering without soaking the whole bathroom a bit tricky but we got used to it. There was always lots of piping hot water, and the shower pressure was great, a big plus in my book! There were also scale, slippers and bathrobes provided. The beds were very comfortable, and had duvets, although they were almost a little too small for the beds, but if you curl up it's OK! You also got a Mozart Kugeln on your pillow each day...yummy! The rooms are all very traditionally decorated and are all unique, according to the hotel's pamphlet. The rooms all certainly looked different sizes from the fire escape plan, with ours seeming to be one of the biggest on the floor. We could look up to the Fort from our room and got lovely views at night with the fairy lights in the street.

We were there on a bed and breakfast basis, and the breakfasts were great! Served in the Symphonie Restaurant, there was a full range of cold cuts, cheese, bacon, sausage, tomatoes and beans, fruit, cereals and tomatoes and olives. There was also an Egg Menu, but we didn't have the eggs - the rest of the food was wonderful, lots of fresh fruit juice, Evian and san Pellegrino water and Prosecco for drinks. All very civilised!

We ate dinner in the hotel on our first night as we were too tired to trail around looking for anywhere. The menu was quite restricted, with around 3 or 4 choices per course. I was absolutely shattered and really didn't eat much, but the green pea and asparagus soup appetiser was lovely, with a proscuitto wrapped stick crouton, and I think it was lamb I had for my entree, which was also lovely.

The hotel's location is its biggest selling point. It's smack bang in the middle of the Old Town, on a pedestrianised shopping street, very close the Dam St Peter's (St Peter's Cathedral) and therefore two of the main Christmas markets. We walked pretty much everywhere and never felt threatened or unsafe. It's surrounded by nice coffee bars, cafes and restaurants, walking to the Mirabel Gardens took about ten minutes (brisk pace). Mum and Dad stayed near Mirabelplatz the previous year and Mum says the Altstadt is in a much better location.

There's also a bus stop on the main road beside the river, you can get the no 25 bus to Hellbrunn for about 1.6 euro each, very reasonable.

The staff were all friendly in a Germanic way...they seemed a bit blunt at first, but I think that's maybe just the way German/ Austrian voices speaking English comes across! They booked us onto the Sound of Music tour and the Obersalzberg/ Salt Mine tour as soon as we arrived, and pointed us in the direction of a local Italian restaurant one evening too. They also booked our taxi for our journey back to the airport.

Now, a couple of little downsides...I don't know if it was because of the side of the hotel we were on, but there was a lot of noise from a nightclub in the basement of the building, although it wasn't owned by the hotel. The first night we noticed it but were both so tired we fell asleep anyway. The second night (Friday) it was very bad, and continued well into the night. That and Mum's snoring made for an unpleasant night for me! The next night Mum called down to reception around 1.45am, and they said it usually goes on until around 3.30am, but it lasted well beyond that. It wasn't so bad on the Sunday night, but the bass was still very audible. Also because of that we couldn't open the window to the street on the Friday and Saturday because revellers in the street were a bit noisy, but it merely amplified the base. We had to have the windows open in January because...there's no air-con in the rooms and they were stifling at night. I ended up taking the duvet out its cover and just sleeping under that although I was still too hot. We also asked reception about the heat as there was no climate control in the room and they said if they turned the system off it'd be freezing. I think because it's such an old stone building there's no way they could install air-con.

When we checked out Mum mentioned the problem of the noise to the receptionist...she said if the noise was keeping us awake the clerk should have called the police, but this didn't happen. She apologised most sincerely for the problems. We also heard the garbage truck collecting rubbish twice at around 4am, not the most pleasant of noises!

The only other minor grump was that the only English speaking TV channels were CNN and MTV although it had German subtitles. But we didn't come to Salzburg to watch TV!

All in all this is a charming traditional hotel with comfortable beds, good breakfasts and in a great location. I'd definitely go back, but perhaps ask for a room overlooking the internal courtyard. I've seen from reviews on tripadvisor.com that the room overlooking the river can be bad for traffic noise.

But as I say, still really nice!

• Liked — Location and Ambience
  • Disliked — Overnight noise from basement nightclub & difficulty controlling temperature in rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We had a little trouble locating the hotel as we drove in. Realized we could just park in the middle of the busy street at the river entrance and one of the hotel staff would take our car and park it for us. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved the restaurant staff. Free internet was great. It was really nice having direct access to the pedestrian area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Car accessibility
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

My friend and I picked this hotel due to its proximity to the Christmas markets - and we were thrilled with our choice.

The hotel is situated in the old town, with entrances onto the river or onto the end of a pedestrianised street . The taxi drive from the airport cost about 12 euros, and the taxi driver dropped us off at the pedestrianised side of the hotel. The initial impact was truly beautiful - a charming hotel in a street of pretty christmas lights - well, we girls appreciated it!! (The entrance from the river side doesn't have the same magical impact)

The staff on reception were all extremely helpful and knowledgeable and helped us make the most of our 3 day break. Often its the little touchs that make a difference - on our arrival it was raining but we were keen to start all that christmas shopping - without prompting they suggested we borrowed hotel umberellas.

The room was of a reasonable size, had a separate dressing area, was nicely decorated and furnished and very comfortable beds. Huge bathroom, had no problems(unlike an earlier review) with lots of hot water - bathrobes were provided. The breakfast was very good - hot or cold, buffet or waitress service - even sparkling wine and smoked salmon - how decadent is that?

The location is fabulous and Salzburg old town felt a very safe place to be. It was only a few minutes walk to the christmas markets and is there are plenty of restaurants nearby - we particularly liked Da Pippo - a friendly Italian restaurant.

The down sides? - well we had asked for a non smoking room. I think perhaps the whole floor was non smoking - but there was a slight smokey smell nevertheless. I think I misunderstood some of the previous posts with regards to noise. Our room was in the middle of the hotel, overlooking a courtyard - we didn't have views of the river or pedestrianised street - but it was very quiet. However on the river side of the hotel there are one or two bars next to the entrance of the hotel. On the weekend nights these were very noisey - I would have thought the noise would have carried to nearby rooms. The TV has only one english speaking channel - CNN - didn't bother us but might some. And it can be pricey - the best price we could find was with yeego.com - but that was still 220 euros per weekend night for a twin room. Is it a 5 star - well no - but it is really charming - just like Salzburg.

A few other points re the christmas markets. A trip to Schloss Hellbrunn is highly recommended. Easy to get there by bus - no. 25 from outside the hotel, cost is 1.60 euros I think. Great christmas market there, stunning setting and plenty of handmade gifts and decorations. Good coffee shop and bar. By contrast the market at the Fortress Hohensalzburg was bit disappointing - quite small (although maybe we were just marketed out by then!) Having said that the views of salzburg from the fortress are worth the effort. We also attended an advent concert in the Romantic Hall at St Peters, it was only an hours concert, cost 22 euros and was a lovely event. I believe they run a couple of these short advent concerts on saturday afternoons.

Finally if the reason for your trip is the christmas markets, I'd really recommend visiting during the week if you can - our trip spanned both and we found the weekends to be sooo busy.

Stayed December 2007
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Lovely hotel. Nice rooms. Friendly & helpful staff. Would thoroughly recommend it. One or two points to bear in mind:
No aircon in the rooms and if you get a room facing the river you cannot leave the windows open as the noise from the road is too much to allow a good night's sleep.

The bar isn't up to much, so if you want a nightcap I would go elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Heat in rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt, Salzburg? Share your experiences!