“Still Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Orlando
“Still Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have been to this place a couple of times and recently went their since my oldest daughter is now a teenager. So we brought our whole family of 6 plus my daughters friend who is not too big on seafood. Having been there before, i knew to reserve a table and to prep everyone that there is no real menu. I am not a fan of their seafood platter they offer, instead, i choose to make my own. Last time I had not had the grilled calamari and shrimp platter, and this time we did and it was gone before i could go for my second helping. It was very good. Even the friend, was saying, WOW, this is really good, i had not ever had Great seafood like this. The owner chef is great at his grill. He sang again as he did before which makes it unique. It is not a fancy place, it is cozy, warm with wood and simple decorations. Having reserved a whole Flounder as we would say in Florida was great. I love the Dorado whole while the Steinbutt (Flounder) was very good too. I keep wanting to go back since you feel welcome there, the seafood is extremely fresh and well cooked. Simple but good. This place is only for those who love fresh whole fish grilled. Also, you must order several scallops in the shell, really good. The wine is very good too and not expensive. I highly suggest this place if you are a love of seafood like our family is. When we left. the owner came and thanked me for coming again and made me feel special as his place was busting at the seems with business. He has the right recipe, cook good fresh quality food and care about the customer. Some places forget that is the key.

• Visited November 2013

Dana Point, California
“Mediterranean Salzburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently toured Central Europe and luckily we found Backi. Upon entering something about the place spoke of his confidence and experience with fish. We put our selves into his capable hands literally when ordering by saying that Backi should send out "Whatever Backi thinks is good." We waited only a little while listening to Backi sing in a not unpleasant tenor voice in his small but ample kitchen as he cooked in full view of his patrons. We were rewarded for our faith with two amazing platters brimming with broiled and grilled delicacies from the sea. There were shrimp and octopus, sea bass, flounder and trout as well as the most amazing anchovies I have ever eaten. Anchovies in the States are the most fishy and repugnant little things but here they were silken and deliciously tender and mild. (When you go to Europe, Eat Anchovies!) At one point Backi came out and sat for a bit with his daughter as she had her dinner at her own table in the restaurant. Speaking neither Greek or German I gave him a universally understood thumbs up and made other sounds and faces that I hoped expressed our supreme satisfaction with the meal. He returned my salute and as we were paying our bill and leaving he came out, gathered his wait staff around us and he treated us to a shot of Grappa. If I ever return to Salzburg I must return to Backi's and would encourage anyone reading this who is planning a trip there to do so as well. You will never regret it.

• Visited September 2013
Orlando
“Super Fresh Whole fish and seafood in a unique spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

It is true some of the down reviews on this place. No menu. Limited staff. Not fast. If you are looking for fine dining, then move on since this is a very unique place. I grew up in Florida and love fresh whole fish. I am used to seafood houses that are not fancy, but serve good food. This place is similar as the owner is Italian and his wife is the server and their daughter helps a little. They maybe have two other employees. The Chef (owner) sings Italian in the open kitchen while he cooks. The front seafood case is the menu. Go look, pick out your fish, scallops or whatever looks good. I have to go back to try some of the other items. I highly recommend the whole Dorade, my wife had the whole Branzino and we all shared the whole shell on scallops with eggs, excellent. The only thing that was not, was the clams and mussels saute, it was ok. This should be 5 stars, but the mussels/clams had little flavor, no need to dip bread. Everything else was excellent. Fish was perfectly cooked, flavorful, the side dish was eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, onions, etc, very good. The whole scallops in shell was excellent (we dipped bread in the sauce it came with). The house wine at 2.5 Euro a glass was very good. The atmosphere was nice, very small place, crowded, a bit noisy, but overall, very unique and nice. Since I live half the year in Salzburg, this was a very nice find. One of the best spots in the city. I will go back again to try the Shrimp and Calamari, since it was not in the case, but looked excellent as the regulars ordered it and I saw it go by. Definitely try it out, well worth it. PS: not too expensive either for downtown. (whole fish about 16 Euro). Enjoy!

• Visited September 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Not worth it!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited here on my first night in Salzburg and for me an my friends it was quite a let down! It is very busy which I would usually take as a good sign but may be more to do with the lack of staff!! There is no menu as such and so they offered combo plates both for starters and main course, there was also no 'choice' in wine!!
The food was admittedly very good and if you are a fish lover you may be willing to forgive the lack of attention and long wait for your food, but personally I'd give it a miss!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Extraordinary food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon this place by accident. Looked great from the outside with nearly all the seats taken on a Tuesday night. We did not have a reservation but they found a table for us right away. At the front of the restaurant is a large chilled display case which separates the restaurant from the open kitchen. There was no menu, the waiter just asked us what we wanted from the case and how we wanted it done. We ended up with a fish soup and a seafood sampler plate both of which were delicious. I would never lick my fingers in public, but, I am sure to my grandmother's great chagrin had she seen me, I did wipe out all the sucd of the plates.
Service is slow but this is to be expected as the fish is prepared right in front of your eyes from scratch.
Decor is simple and unpretentious. Small tables that seat two are put together two each and are often shared by different couples. Wine list is limited to one type each of white, red and rose.
All the other guests were local when we were there. We did not test the staff's English but rather just enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere and went with the flow. Place is a gem and I could not recommend it in stronger terms.

• Visited June 2013