“Will look twice over the reviews from now on” 1 of 5 stars

Pension Lechner
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rainerstrasse 11, Salzburg 5020 , Austria   |
Ranked #120 of 135 Hotels in Salzburg
Zurich, Switzerland
“Will look twice over the reviews from now on”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Even though we mentioned in our booking that we were going to arrive late in the evening, we couldn't find anyone at the reception. This resulted in half an hour spent trying everything we could think of: ringing buzzers, calling out and calling phone numbers (the one listed on the booking page and the one carefully taped to the door, but no luck). Finally we managed to find a passage from the hotel corridor to the restaurant's kitchen, and then to the restaurant and someone gave us the key to the room.

The room was quite dirty, with a vacuum cleaner still laying in the middle of the room, obviously the cleaning process was abruptly interrupted. There was no heating and no soundproofing, we were constantly disturbed by noises coming from the corridor or other rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Based on reviews, we planned to spend three nights here while we toured Salzburg, however, it took us only about 10 minutes to decide to just take a hit on our budget and check out. The hotel is old and not well-maintained. The bathrooms are no more than cubicles, and not very clean. The carpet was dirty. The bed appeared clean, however. The hotel is not air-conditioned, and no fans were available. In Salzburg's summer heat, sleep would have been impossible. Registration area is rundown. No internet was available. We had our teenaged granddaughter with us, and they put her in a room two floors away despite our previous request to be in adjoining rooms. All of the rooms are up multiple levels of stairs and there is no elevator. I would never stay there, and never recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked four nights as this hotel is reasonably close to the station. We lasted only one and then found a cleaner, nicer, friendlier hotel with a lift closer to the station in the same price range and in a quiet street. All the rooms at this hotel are up stairs and the walls are very thin. Everything in the room was old and tired. The bathroom was some sort of portable add-in. Just after we got into the room one of the beds collapsed and in trying to put the bed back together we discovered a very large (aprox 30cm x 40cm) blood stain on the mattress. The bed was not capable of fixing that night. The staff finally moved us to another room. We were not game to look at the cleanliness of the new room. We left in the morning. They wanted us to pay for the four nights but in the end I only paid for the one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

It is a really nice hotel in a very old building. We had a room for 2. Room had everything we needed and in an antique style. There were bed, table, chairs, mirror, wardrobe. Also there were electric stove and small refrigerator. Breakfasts were good. And everyday services were perfect. But there was no Internet in rooms. But there is a computer in the 1st floor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

CLEAN BEDS and Towels , thats all what matters when visiting a place , plus convenience of location and welcome, very handy from the Railway Station and Bus station, with in walking distance of the main centre and 10 mins from Mirabelle garden, the hotel was clean and a good breakfast Continental type was always there in the morning, fresh fruit, meats, cheeses, bread, toast, cakes, cereals and plenty of coffee , the staff were all very pleasant, the downside is no one about after 6 pm, so let them know your arrival time and the key will be in the bar next door no lift, so 3 floors, and quite near the railway line so if you need peace shut the window, tv in room with bottle water, lacking tea/coffee making facilities so you from UK take your kettles , they will also keep your suitcases on last day till teatime , the bar next door is a separate business and very pleasant they have hot meals and drinks of all types hot or cold, but not cheap, if you go towards the railway station there are plenty of little snackbars around and a Burger King and Mc Donalds, PLUS theres a C/A s and a shopping centre called forum 1 but the best bit is the new station as a big Spar Supermarket in open 7 days a week 8am till 10pm so you can stock up on bits and pieces, enjoy

Room Tip: front are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Firstly, the positives. The Lechner is conveniently located at 11, Rainerstrasse, which is fairly near to the train station and also a short walk from the Mirabelle park. The hotel is also relatively inexpensive and it does provide a basic, yet decent Continental breakfast. However, the hotel is situated very closely to the train line. During our stay, it was very warm; the hotel does not have air con and it was necessary to open the windows to get some air. As a result, the thundering noise of countless trains going by kept me up an awful lot on more than one night. The other problem was the bathroom. Although our room had an ensuite bathroom, it was more of a glorified cupboard. The shower kept on flooding the whole room as the shower basin was very shallow.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed in the Lechner pension for three nights in May 2012 and was very badly bitten by bed bugs. I had over 100 bites on my hands, arms, legs, neck, back, and feet. The itching was unbearable and the bites gave me fatigue and fever. Worst of all, the management and staff couldn't care less about the problem, and didn't apologise.
On the afternoon after my first night, I started to notice bites coming out. By the time I got back to the hotel there were more of them, but I couldn't tell anyone because the hotel reception shuts down at 6pm. When I spoke to the receptionist the next day, she was surly and unapologetic, but they agreed to clean my room properly. During that day, more and more bites started coming out. They were so itchy it was unbearable. I went back to the hotel in the afternoon and told them I wanted to check out and that I was not willing to pay for a bug infested room. Again, there was no apology. I asked to speak to the manager who was on the phone to the receptionist. He refused to speak to me three times. He was very reluctant to compensate me for the inconvenience and discomfort. Initially he said I could have one night out of three free (even though I had been bitten on two consecutive nights.) Then he said I could check out straight away if I paid 40 euros to cover the cost of breakfast for two days. I refused, on the grounds that only 5 star hotels charge 20 euros per day for breakfast (and the Lechner breakfast was very basic). After around 20 minutes of me complaining, the manager reluctantly agreed to waive the fee for the nights I had been bitten and to move me to another room. The room looked clean, but I asked the receptionist to have the carpet vacuumed again anyway. However, when I returned that night, I found bed bugs in the carpet. (I have videos of them on my camera). There was no-one to tell because the reception desk closed at 6pm every day and the phone number given to the guests for emergencies is out of order. By this stage, I had bites all over and was extremely uncomfortable, but I had no choice but to stay in the room. Needless to say, I got bitten again that night. In the morning, I showed the bites on my arms to the receptionist—a different lady, who was friendly, and, for the first time, apologised. If I’d had time to contest the bill for the final night, I would have, but I was leaving and didn’t have time. Since then, I’ve had four days of serious discomfort and fatigue.
I understand that bed bugs can strike at even the most esteemed establishment, but the way that the hotel Lechner dealt with the situation was appalling. They really didn’t seem to care, and would not have done anything to compensate had I not forced them to. Even if they sort the bed bugs out, I would never stay here again because the customer service was dreadful.
I should also say that the hotel was locked up when I arrived. The reception closes at 6pm, but the hotel had not told me this. So I was locked out and had no idea how to get in. I rang the number displayed on the door for guests but it was out of order. It was only because there happened to be another couple arriving 20 minutes after me that I found out we were supposed to go in the back entrance and that our keys had been left for us. This was annoying because I had e-mailed the hotel in advance to tell them I would be arriving late, but they did not respond.

Room Tip: Since both of my rooms, which were on different floors, had bed bugs, I assume the whole place is in...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pension Lechner? Share your experiences!