“Really superb restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 485 Restaurants in Salzburg
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The restaurant is called quite simply “esszimmer” (“dining room”). Anything more would be superfluous, says star chef Andreas Kaiblinger. After all, the “real adventure happens in the cooking pot.”
NYC
“Really superb restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had been somewhat skeptical of Esszimmer's lofty prix fixe menus, but was delighted to find that the high praise on Chowhound and Tripadvisor were well deserved.My daughter and I each had the six course Esszimmer menu while my wife had only a couple of courses, but grazed on ours. I was impressed that Esszimmer accomodated her lesser appetite gracefully, as many restaurants insist on all guests taking the same menu; our waitress also encouraged us to substitute dishes on the prix fixe if we so wished. My favorites were the hot smoked wild salmon and the trio of baby pig - chop, belly, and stuffed dumpling; our daughter loved the trio of Char that began the meal - smoked, tartare, and sashimi, all accented with peanut foam. In fact, the chef loves his Asian flavors, but manages not to go over the top - resulting in interesting and not forced fusion cuisine. The service was excellent and the wines accompaniments superb - delicious, unusual, and fairly priced. I particularly loved the 2012 Zierfander Mandelhöh, Standimann, Thermenregion, a varietal which I had never heard of, and the 2011 Grüner Süssenberg from Rainer Wess.

Esszimmer is not inexpensive, but provides excellent value. The portions were perfectly sized - large enough to enable one to savor the delicious subtlety of the chef's cuisine, but by no means overwhelming. It provided a delicious and stimulating alternative to the somewhat monotonic Austrian cuisine which we generally enjoyed, but sometimes wearied of during our weeklong stay there.

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We chose this restaurant after reading other reviews and were not disappointed. The service, quality of the food and wines were exceptional. My husband and I were celebrating a special occasion and the staff went out of their way to make our evening extra special. Not to be missed on your visit to Salzburg!

Visited March 2014
Salzburg, Austria
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The food was delicious, maybe the best I've tasted in Austria. The service was friendy.

Would definitively recommend to everybody.

• Visited January 2014
Berlin, Germany
“Salzburg's Finest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful from start to finish. Front of house staff were friendly and attentive without being over the top. They even indulged me in my poor German!
We had the menu Esszimmer with wine and we're not disappointed. One of the best pieces of beef (if not the best) I have ever eaten. Wine choices were well thought out and courses presented just when we wanted them.

Not cheap and nor should it be. Wonderful!

Visited February 2014
Annemasse, France
“Tip-top! Refined gastronomy, perfect service, great decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Very happy I chose TA's number one choice for Salzburg. thanks, fellow reviewers. It is a very attractive place and boasts a staff that is very friendly and efficient. The menus are mostly around 85 euros and the quality is there. The amuse-bouches were especially succulent, idem the bread selection. All dishes were successful, one was quite daring: a raviolo of smoked fish served with slow cooked veal cheek. The portions were small as there were seven courses and thus one does not feel too full at all. The wine accompaniment costs over 40 euros but they are very generous. Most were Austrian except the reds and the dessert wine was quite unique, a syrah Beerenauslese made from dried grapes from Austria. We really enjoyed the wild raspberry schnapps (Waldhimbeer).

• Visited January 2014