“Comfortable but Far” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 135 hotels in Salzburg
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Comfortable but Far”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights towards July end.

Location:
The hotel is located far from the city center is about 20 mins walk from the eurail station as well as the city center. The close proximity of the hotel is rather dead at night (except another hotel bang opposite). When I read the name of the hotel read as Holiday Inn Salzburg "City" I made a mistake to believe it was in the city center. Proven incorrect. In terms of location, this hotel is a complete No.

Rooms:
The rooms were neat and clean but like
rooms of most European hotels - the rooms here were also on the smaller side. There was no balcony like the pictures claimed to have. Infact, I couldn't find balconies in any of the rooms. May be they have done away with them. The lighting behind the bed (highlighting the wooden front) was looking very nice at right. Quality of sleep was excellent thanks to the good quality of pillows and mattresses being used. The bathroom was rather large as compared to the room. But there was a faint smell in the bathroom whenever the exhaust was on. We didn't bother to report it to the management though. They had provided a bottle of Fizz water in the room which I wish was replaced with still water.

Service & Breakfast:
The staff at the reception were helpful. One particular guy (can't recall his name) was very cheerful and helped us really well to plan our day in and around the city. The internet at the hotel is free for only 1 hour during the stay. It is a wierd policy since only 1 hour is provided even if a guest is staying for 1 day or 1 week. This is rather awful in today's era. The breakfast at the hotel was very good and as per the standards of Holiday Inn. They had a lot of options in food and drinks and a coffee vending machine for our choice of coffee. Nice.!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am not sure when I have been so disappointed with a hotel. It promised much and delivered little. Let's start with the rooms - so tiny and not enough room for suitcases. The wardrobes were blocked by bedside furniture so parts could not be used. The bedside lights are too dim to read by and they block the light switches. The beds (king size) are far too big for the room as it makes it almost impossible to move around the room. The corridor outside are 5 metres wide and wonderfully decorated but should have been used for the inside of the rooms as it is completely wasted space.
This is the first hotel I have stayed at in the past decade where there was no means of connecting to the internet in your own room. No cable or wi-fi. There was an hour free wi-fi available in the lobby but this was a once only. If you stayed a week or a day you got the same amount of free time (1 hour). The internet computer in the lobby worked poorly and was not worth the effort as it often did not let you send emails. This is appalling in the 21st century where connectivity is a way of life. It certainly did not mention any of this detail in the website.
The hotel's handbook also stated that there were several English language channels. Of course none of these worked. No-one seemed to know why or how to fix it. There were no foreign language channels available in any language other than German.
The hotel's website also never mentioned that parking came at a cost of 11 Euro.
The female staff seemed helpful but some of the male staff in the restaurant seemed very indifferent to customer needs except for the odd table they chose to concentrate on. Utterly terrible service - plates took forever to clear, no coffee offered were just some of the examples of poor service.
There was no shampoo or other toiletries in the bathroom and the one cake of soap was never renewed over a 3 day period.
The air conditioner could not cope with hot weather and was more a heater than a cooler.
Probably the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Stay as a single there is not enough room for 2 people
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Salzburg City, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear tholland55,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations and Internet connection.

I appreciate you bringing these issues into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G.
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was a VERY value oriented hotel, and the room was small, pretty, lovely and clean. The big BUT was the noise, produced in large part by the staff. We tried to politely indicate our disconsternation with the "moving of carts of bottles" at 7:00 am, but to no avail. That said, the breakfast room staff was so REALLY accomodating. We just wanted to love the whole package, because the price was fabulous for Salzburg - or any place else! I can't help but recommend the place; just be mindful of the noise potential.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have a pool or fitness center - hence the gap in review.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salzburg City, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear UVAMomAlexandria,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I am delighted you found our hotel to be value oriented. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the outside noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Ruston, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The staff was HORRIBLE. There were blood stains on my sheets. I left my dirty towels on the floor so that I could get them replaced. That night, when I went to take a shower, I noticed that the cleaning staff just picked the dirty towels off of the floor and hung them back up on the racks! DISGUSTING! Also, the website says that there is an ice machine at this hotel. Well, there is a small one behind the bar downstairs. The lady working this was very rude and would not let me get more than one small cup of ice. Finally, the morning before we left, somebody on the cleaning staff walked fully into our room--by the beds--without knocking at 8:00 in the morning while my friends and I were still asleep. This is NOT OK. I will NEVER stay here again if I go back to Salzburg.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear SarahMichelle828,

Ferdinand G.
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

It may be a little tedious to find the way to your hotel from the Airport, but that may happen with anyone in a new place. We had to change two buses to get to it but could manage. its bang on the main road and you cant miss it. the bus drops right in front of the hotel.
The room was not huge but decently spacious. i could walk around even after throwing my suitcases all around! the bathroom was also decent, with a bath tub. the room, surprisingly had no windows and had something which would have been a balcony but was permanently closed now. so not only was there no ventilation, but you couldnt even see anything outside as the glass of the 'once there' balcony/window was transluscent!
same was the case with the corridors on our floor. they also seemed to have a french windows/walk over balconeys which were now slammed shut. it all seemed a little odd to me..as if this was a measure for a special reason!
but apart from that our stay was comfortable. The breakfast spread, included in our stay, was the highlight of our stay at Holiday Inn. it was huge and fresh and we were delighted to taste the European produce in all its splendour. The croissants we had here were the best we had ever had! they were straight from the oven and melt-in-the-mouth delicious.
The hotel was a little far from the old town but i guess hardly anybody ever stays in old town. although major destinations werent really walkable, but i guess Europeans walk a lot so our Hotel Manager suggested walking everywhere which we did the first day! later on we figured out a simple bus route. So, if you want to take a bus to go into the city for major tourist destinations, you may not get it right in front of the hotel and may have to walk a bit.
Another advantage to this hotel was that there was a McDonald's Restaurent about 300 metres away which was open till after 12.00 a.m and had free wifi. since Salzburg is a small sleepy town, we had nothing much to do later in the evenings. So McDonald's provided a good time pass. very very surprisingly, it had a vegetarian menu which i nowhere came across in Europe! since I am a vegetarian, i could'nt have been happier spending my evenings there.Also, the food in the room service menu seemed a tad expensive so we preferred going outside for dinner.
A couple of things that irked me about the hotel was 1. that there was no free wifi and even the guest computer at the reception seemed paid. 2. The housekeeping staff was inefficient. our supplies were never replaced for the duration of our stay, even when they were depleting. they had a 'special note' about how we should save water by not asking for fresh towels everyday unless absolutely necessary, so that was fine. but in the last two days the house keeping staff even stopped cleaning the room properly. They would'nt throw away the discarded bottles and food packets. They were left on bed stands and dresser. even the bed seemed to be made hastily and the clothes were barely folded.
but if I were to rate this hotel based on how it fared on our budget, I would call it quite okay, especially with the breakfast!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Weilerbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great room, great hotel, great location and great staff! Will return if I go back. Also, I believe they served food and beverages 24 hours.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Holiday Inn is located within a nice 10-15min walk of the river and the Old Town.

We were welcomed by a lady on the front desk who was friendly, welcoming and helpful.

The rooms are newly furnished and nicely decorated, with a comfortable bed and pillows. The only hiccup was the bathtub which didn't drain very well.

We stayed on the sixth floor facing the road and the mountain but the noise was not an issue at night.

Internet access is free for the first hour, which was adequate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Salzburg City? Share your experiences!