“Piber Stud Farm & Young Lads Mountain Tour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Piber Stud Farm

Piber Stud Farm
Piber Bundesgestvet, Piber, near Koeflach, Graz 8580, Austria (Innere Stadt)
0043(0)3144 3323
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 18 Activities in Graz
Type: Castles, Farms, Ranch & Farm
Victoria, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Piber Stud Farm & Young Lads Mountain Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

(We were here the beginning of July, perfect timing to see the foals.) The Stud Farm is located in a beautiful area of Styria with rolling green hills and valleys and picturesque villages. We really enjoyed our horsey experience at Piber—seeing and hearing the vocal stallions as well as the mares and adorable foals. It was nice to be allowed to touch them—if they come up to you at the fence—which they did as they are very friendly. We didn't do a tour, but just wandered at our own pace—there are information boards through most of the facility in both German and English.

We had a car and stayed about a 5 to 10 minute drive away at the very nice Sporthotel Glockenhof (see review) in Barnbach which is also home to the funky Church of St Barbara—bold Hundertwasser architecture.

We booked the evening "Young Lads" Mountain Tour. It was very interesting to see the "young lads" interacting with each other! Please note, though, we were given a map with directions to the alpine pastures only in German—the GPS coordinates helped, however it was confusing once you get close to the coordinates. There were no cars in Parking Lot #1 as per instructions, but there were cars parked on the side of the road across from the gate with the sign (photo of the sign on the instructions). Look for the sign on the fence on the right! Once you park, you have to go through the gate and walk up a gravel driveway to the barn about a 10 minute walk (possibly past cows loose in the fields or even on the gravel road you are walking on)...we missed most of our time up on the pastures due to not understanding the sheet with the directions. Allow lots of time to get there—I suggest 45 to 50 minutes!! Even though we had trouble with the German directions and the caretakers of the young stallions only speak German (a tiny bit of English, maybe) we still enjoyed the experience of seeing the frisky young horses just being horses!

We continued our Lipizzaner experience later in the month in Vienna at the Spanish Riding School where we loved the summer show "Piber Meets Vienna". (See review)

Visited July 2012

Adelaide, Australia
“Piber”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We loved our couple of days in Piber where you could get up close and personal with the horses. BUT can anyone tell me the name of the hotel right next to the stables? I want to recommend it to friends but have lost the name? Please help if you can

Visited August 2011
Graz, Steiermark, Austria
3 attraction reviews
“Better in summer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great for horse lovers or anyone interested in the Spanish riding school. I would recommend going in Summer when all the foals are born, we actually didn't get to see any foals and it was really cold.

Visited February 2012
Perth, Australia
“Beautiful place, magnificent horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I have loved Lipizzaner horses since I was a child, and had always wanted to visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. When we decided to visit Graz during our trip to Austria, I was determined to go to Piber - although I thought I would miss out as I got very sick with the flu when we reached Graz, but come hell or high water I was determined to go, so we managed to make it on our last day! We took the little train out to Koflach (just warning, if you are travelling on a Eurail pass, it is NOT valid on this train line - we knew that, but another unfortunate traveller didn't!). It was a delightful little train trip, through some beautiful countryside, and took about an hour. There were taxi/hire cars waiting at the train station, so we caught one to Piber - about a 5 minute trip, only costing a few Euros. The stud farm is a beauiful place, set amongst rolling green hills, and we spent several hours wandering around and taking in the various buildings and displays and spending as much time as possible visiting the magnificent Lipizzaners, from young foals right up to the stud stallions - it was a dream come true, especially being able to get up close and touch these beautiful horses (take the chance to go to Piber, if you can, as if you visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, you are not allowed to touch any of the stallions there). Apparently they do offer a guided tour of the stud in English, but you have to book ahead, so we didn't worry, it was quite easy for us to find our way around - although be aware that most of the signage is in German, as are things like the farrier demonstration. We actually walked back to Koflach, which took about 40 minutes, took the train back to Graz.
A very worthwhile visit, and highly recommended.

Visited November 2010
Westchester , NY
13 attraction reviews
“A bit of a hike ..... kids liked it .......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I guess i'm getting jaded in my old age but to me , a horse is a horse is a horse and the Lippinzanners are another horse . Kids loved it . You can get up real close and touch horses . We were a bit miffed there were no horses in fields at all like my wife said she had seen in her youth visitin the farm . Back then there were a few outdoor restaurants you had a meal at ( cheap ) and then you wandered around fields where the horses were . today , highly organized tour in stables .......... ( iwish i had seen in old days ) . The onsite bar is a clip joint . It was 95 degrees when we were there and a bottle of water cost more than a bottle of beer ( like $5-6 for a $1-2 bottle of water ...... spent $30+ for a water break for my 3 kids and my wife ) .....

Visited July 2011