“Unbelievablely well preserved piece of history...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Attractions in Linz
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
London, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
“Unbelievablely well preserved piece of history...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

With €15m spent at the Mauthausen Memorial site already and more planned, this is a must see for anyone remotely interested in WWII.

You get the feeling it is in a transitional period with the map & audio-guide feeling a little old (some parts listed on the map are now inaccessible) and the ultra modern museum with photos displayed up until last year but it doesn't take away from the experience.

I can't get over why it's only a €2 entrance fee, it could easily be more.

To really absorb all the information and tour the complete site, this is an all day attraction although 4 hours would be adequate.

Note it's not in Linz, it's about 20km from town.

Visited July 2013

Lansing, Michigan
62 attraction reviews
“Emotional Must-See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stopped to tour Mauthausen as I was traveling by train from Melk to Salzburg. It was a little complicated, but it turned out to be easier than I had expected. When I arrived in Linz, I asked the train station attendant to call a taxi for me, and I made arrangements with the driver to pick me up in time to catch my next train, about 3 hours later. Judging by the narrow, twisting roads, it might be a bit tricky to find it in a car on your own. You are able to check your bags in the ticket office.

The museum is excellent, a lot of fascinating information about the history and the operation of the camp. I wish I could have spent more time in the memorial gardens, but it was raining at the time. Each country who had citizens who were interred here has a section, and it overlooks the Stairs of Death. You can take the stairs down to the quarry if you like, though it is quite a long ways.

Seeing the camp is emotionally difficult. The barracks were haunting -- for me, it seemed intensified by the fact that the surrounding area is such beautiful countryside. I will never forget how I felt when I realized what the shower-like room I had just stepped into really was. The execution building was one emotional punch after another. It's not for the faint-hearted, but I'm the sort of history-buff traveler who firmly believes that I should see the ugly as well as the beautiful.

Visited September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Very deep incite of what happened to innocent people during the war”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was very interesting to see where a lot of innocent people spend their last days (if they were lucky to only spend a few days) in this death camp. Prisoners of war thinking they were only going to a camp to held until the war was over got the shock of their lives.
The Audio guides are necessary to give you an of what happened here. This is not for the faint hearted but certainly worth a look.

Visited June 2013
Central Mississippi
26 attraction reviews
“A sobering reminder of lessons we must never forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I admit to never having heard of Mauthausen before planning our trip to Germany and Austria. Auschwitz, Dachau, Bergen-Belsen, Treblinka, and many others, yes. But not Mauthausen, the last concentration camp to be liberated. I did a bit of research before going, but after our visit there, I found this account of an American officer confined there only shortly before its liberation to give a succinct and horrifying account of life at Mauthausen: http://www.whale.to/vaccine/jack_taylor_oss.html

We drove here on our way from Salzburg to Vienna, going to Mauthausen and then on to the camp. It is not well marked, and perhaps we should have gone from the direction of Linz instead. Parking is free for 4 hours. There are bars across the parking area, but just drive up, take a ticket, and the bar will lift. There is a video (about 30-40 minutes) in the visitor center area that you should see before you take the audio tour. There are restrooms there, as well as some sort of place to get drinks, snacks, or perhaps pizza, but from what we saw of the eating area and the time it took to get anything to eat, I'd suggest you forgo that.

We did not walk down to the quarry area with the nearby "Stairs of Death," but we could see it from the route we took to actually enter the camp site. There are a number of moving memorials to the people of many nationalities who were murdered there. I found a heart-wrenching plaque in one of the buildings expressing grief and remorse from US soldiers over the US citizens for whom liberation day came too late. Mauthausen stands as a grim reminder of how government-sponsored sadism can exist for years when others are willing to pretend that such cruelty and inhumanity either doesn't exist or is acceptable because groups of so-called inferior people do not deserve better.

I'd suggest spending at least 3 hours here if you plan to include the video.

Visited May 2013
Dahlonega, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
“Very informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great tour, very informative. Sad but a site to see. You will learn more than you know. Definitely recommend if you're in town

Visited February 2013