“Lovely, nothing fancy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Sandy Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added SENTIDO Sandy Beach Hotel to your Saves list
SENTIDO Sandy Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Larnaka-Dekeleia Road | PO Box 40857, Pyla, Larnaka 6307, Cyprus   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Pyla
Gainesville, Florida
“Lovely, nothing fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I was there for 3 nights and enjoyed it for the most part. It is about 20 km from Larnaca Airport, taxi will cost you 30 Euro/night, 20 Euro/day. It is about 10 km from downtown Larnaca, 10 Euro by taxi or 1.3 Euro by bus (in front of hotel, runs every 30 mins). There isn't much to do nearby. Charge for wireless Internet in lobby; they also have one slow desktop computer for a fee. Two beautiful pools, simple but very clean rooms, hotel lobby looks lovely, cozy and airy. Their food is good but overpriced in my opinion; better eat at taverns across the street. Very quiet until Sat night when they held a wedding by the pool. Hotel is rated 4 stars, perhaps by local standards. Do NOT expect 4 American stars. I got a great deal through a travel agency, so I am happy with what I got for the price I paid.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Mngr1, Manager at SENTIDO Sandy Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for taking time to make your comments on tripadvisor.com.
Your review will certainly help us in improving the sevices we offer our guests.
The Management

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
Cleethorpes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

My wife & I stayed here for 2 weeks in september last year and was classed as a 4 star hotel. We decided to upgrade to the all inclusive option. The entrance lobby on arrival was very welcoming, however, the room facilities were quite basic. Breakfast and lunch were served in the poolside resteraunt. Lunch appeared to consist of the previous nights leftovers, although, the soup was appetizing and the bread always fresh. The evening meal was supposed to be taken in the main resteraunt. It has to be said that this room was always clean and we never had to wait for a table. The choice of food was limited, meat dish, pasta dish, fish dish and of course salad. However, it was very disappointing to find this hotel was so popular with the locals for weddings and also the trade and commerce committee as well as other groups. On these numerous occasions we were forced to use the daytime resteraunt. The bar area was crowded with guests for these various functions. We did suss out quite quickly that it was adviseable to get an extra glass of beer or wine at the table and then make our way to the bar area. (Be warned the red wine was served from the pump - very cold and definitely not what my wife expected or enjoyed.) The entertainment here has got to be the poorist I have ever seen Nuf said.. On the plus side there is a lovely bar close by which we retreated to every night - so much for all inclusive! Must say though if i was asking the whole town to come to our wedding as this is what cypriots do this place can cater for it. Don't be fooled by the name sandy beach as the beach isn't golden white, its soft mud so we stayed round the pool which was very good and clean. All in all we shall never go back to this hotel as we were simply put aside to cater for the big cypriot weddings and whatever else was on. Also we didn't take this holiday on the cheap as we paid well over a couple of grand so felt we didn't get value for money. This is definately not a 4 star hotel the entrance and bar areas may look it as it did fool us in pictures but i assure you it is not. Oh must mention the chef he's a top bloke who obviously can only cook what his supperiors say he can.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We strongly recomend the Sandy Beach Hotel as we feel there like 6 star hotel ... see our photos so you will undrestand !!

Lior & Viktoria

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the management of the hotel,
we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.com
and wish you the best for your new life together.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Me and my mother wanted a quiet relaxing break doing nothing more than sun bathing and relaxing by the beach & pool, this is what we got. The hotel has been recently refurbished so all the rooms were white with beechwood furniture, which gave a light and airy feel(definately not gloomy)
The hotel's leisure facilities were fantastic alot better than the 5* hotel next door!
The pools had amazing king sized beds with pillows which were bliss for sunbathing!
I totally reccomend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2009
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review on our hotel.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay,
and hope to have you again with us soon.
The Management
Ukraine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

I had to stay in this hotel as the travel agency failed to book my flight on the chosen dates, so I had to move out from Lordos Beach where I initially stayed for 7 days to Sandy Beach for 3 more days.
The hotel seemed rather gloomy to me, rooms design is quite dark, not comfortable. The breakfast was not good.
There were a lot of noisy Arabian or Pakistani kids of 10-14 y.o.,their parents evidently didn't watch them, neither the hotel stuff. Kids were around chasing each other with loud screams in the lobby, jumping to the swimming pool at full speed, pushing each other. I wouldn't be surprised if any accident happened with them, the hotel isn't meant for kids at all to apply their energy to some more peaceful games or at least organized by grown-ups.
One of the pools (the curved one was nice).

• Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
The UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

When booking I asked for the highest floor possible. On arrival I was given probably the worst room possible - on the first floor, and when I looked outside my balcony yep, there was the bar (and a hideous view of the roof of the bar as well). I visualised not getting a good nights sleep and so went straight back to reception insisting I be moved to a higher floor. They said there'd be one available the next day.

Next day they tried to make out there weren't any rooms but I lost my cool thinking of how much money I'd paid, and so I insisted. Then they said yes, there is a room on the top floor and I could move in there. Hallelujah!! View much better, esp when leaning over my balcony then I got a good view of all the palm trees, the pools and the sea.

Feeling shattered upon arrival on the first day, I decided to eat a dinner in the hotel. I was very disappointed with it!! All the "hot" foods turned out on my plate to be cold when they should have been piping hot (chicken, etc, etc) - very bad in my books, a risk of getting an upset stomach here. I asked them what all the mixtures of bowls were on the other table but they didn't seem to know! So went British and stuck with whatever I could recognise. but I am sorry, I did NOT go to Cyprus to eat cooked frozen sprouts or tinned carrots, nor did I go there to indulge in their Italian night! I went to Cyprus to eat GREEK foods thank you very much!!

It being Cyprus I expected high quality foods, but the black olives were bland and dry, the salads too. In fact the only good thing about the dinner were the roasted spuds. The choice of desserts were over sweet and to be honest, disgusting, like someone had made up some Angel Delight or blancmange from the supermarket.

NOT worth paying 19 Euros for!!

Had all other dinners in an EXCELLENT taverna across the road - Isabella. I strongly recommend this taverna - its cheaper than the hotel meals, fresher, tastier, and superbly Greek. Dine here!!!! Their black olives are prepared in the proper way - marinated in wine, their mousaka & stifado & afelia, their Greek salads, Halloumi/Lounza all as one expects them to be - absolutely delicious!

Breakfasts in the hotel - yuk! Scrambled eggs were like a mouthful of rubber, couldn't eat them at all. Stuck with Greek yog, fresh fruit and honey.

And whatever you do, if like me you are on a b & b basis, do NOT buy a choc ice in the hotel!!!! I was shocked at this costing a whopping 4 Euros!!! That's nearly 3 quid!!!! Good grief!!!!

The other comments about the bar staff are correct. They're lazy, sloppy, and inconsiderate.

Hotel boasts a minibar in room, but in my first room there wasn't one, and in my second room it was locked the whole time. Still, it saved me a bob or 2 I suppose!

My air conditioning worked perfectly.

Agreed the rooms were not cleaned properly. My rubbish bins were not emptied the whole time in my second room. Pretty bad.

The mattress though, kept me awake. You could just feel odd springs digging in you all night. Yuk!

The lobby is fantastic looking, as are the pool areas. But the rooms themselves leave a lot to be desired. Not of a 4 star quality in the rooms. Also very mean of this 4 star hotel not to supply bath hats in the bathrooms like other hotels of this standard do.

Overall though, staff at reception helpful and polite.

But I thought this hotel was IN Larnaka. I couldn't believe exactly how far away FROM Larnaka it actually was. To get into Larnaca proper, it cost approx 16 Euros each way by taxi. For this reason I wouldn't stay here again. Too far away!

But the good thing about this hotel, was the private beach. No matter what time I strolled onto the beach in the mornings or how many others plonked their towels over sunbeds, I never had any problems getting a sunbed right on the shore.

On my last day I was glad I was allowed to use their showers in the basement health club as my flight wasn't due till evening. Lockers in there too. But the shower is not as clean or 4-star looking as the rest of the hotel grounds are, and the staff down here were a bit sharp when they realised you only wanted a shower and no massages etc.

Won't stay here again.

• Liked — having a private beach - very convenient and safe
  • Disliked — the food, and its over priced in general
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Surrey, England.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of August. The hotel rooms were adequate, but reminded us of a travel lodge. They were not cleaned to a high enough standard, and mother found a PUBIC HAIR in the bath from a previous tenant! We had problems with the air conditioning in our room but this was sorted quickly when we told the staff.
We stayed B&B and the breakfasts were very good and too our surprise the meals in the hotel, which we had two, were better than the outside restaurants, which were poor.
The area is very expensive due to the change from the cypriot pound to the euro, and we were disgusted by the price of the suncream, it seems the higher factor you need the pricer it gets. SPF 30 costing 20 euros, were as SPF 2 was 3 euros!!! As this is given away on English beaches, we think its irresponsible, so take plenty of bottles with you!!
The staff got friendlier throughout the week, but they didnt welcome you, and the girls behind the bar begrudged bringing a cup of tea to you in the lobby!
The private beach and pool area were pleasant, although the umbrella's didnt provide enough shade.

• Liked — The beach.
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to SENTIDO Sandy Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!