“Great hotel but wi-fi service is awful” 4 of 5 stars

Columbus Monte-Carlo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23, avenue des Papalins, Monte-Carlo 98000, Monaco   |
Ranked #8 of 10 hotels in Monte-Carlo
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great hotel but wi-fi service is awful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in January. It's just around the corner from the helipad (I strongly advise this mode of transport from Nice airport - 7 min fantastic flight along the coast), the reception staff are very friendly and Patrick the concierge is so attentive and informative. The hotel is not in the main town area but it's 30 seconds walk from a bus stop and it's 2 euros on a bus into town. We were staying in a deluxe room on the 8th floor which had a great view of the sunrise over the Med. The room was very spacious and clean although the minibar wasn't cheap. 5 euros for a small bottle of water but that's Monaco prices I suppose. Breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, mushrooms and the usual continental style breakfast.

One problem we encountered was the wifi. You can pay 12 euros for a 24hr high speed pass or the low speed is free. However we couldn't access the wifi properly to Skype our children back home. It was just a really, really poor wifi reception. We had to use Skype facilites at local restaurants (for free I may add) In this day and age, asking guests to pay for internet is ridiculous. This was the only blip on a great stay at the Columbus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for your kind and informative comments. We have forwarded your message onto the staff as usual. As for the Wifi, we are sincerely sorry to hear about the connections problem and we are aware of some irregular traffic interruptions, we are working currently with the local Telecom company to resolve them. As for the tariffs, we can only confirm we are cheaper than the local hotel competitors. We hope to see you back to Columbus at some point. With best regards. C.

576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel deserves an Excellent rating. Staff is helpful and friendly, rooms are spacious and very nice and the breakfast buffet is very good. My only problem is with the internet. Why make customers log in again every time the device goes to sleep? Most hotels today make you do it every 24 hours, what is ok, but here the internet experience is not good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for your kind comments and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry for the difficulties encountered for the internet connection. We already informed the local Telecom company but they do not succeed in resolving these problems. Unfortunately you do have to enter your details every time you connect. we hope to welcome you again at Columbus. Kind regards. C.
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I wrote about my stay here in November 2012 and gave this hotel an excellent review. It's always nice to return and discover that your first visit was not a fluke.
My initial comments stand, but I'd like to share with you a little anecdote and I'm sure, you'll be as impressed as I was.
Last year when leaving, I left a framed photo of my partner and me behind by mistake.
This year, on my first morning, I asked the charming young lady on the desk if it was every found.
She said she would look into it for me. It was an ordinary framed photo, nothing special, but to us had enormous sentimental value.
Imagine my genuine surprise upon returning to my room from my conference and finding a "gift" on my bedside table, wrapped in delicate stationery. You guessed it, our photo and frame in pristine condition.
Now, I suppose there are other hotels in the world who would do the same, but these are the little things to my mind, which distinguish a superb hotel that seriously values its reputation for customer service, and actually delivers that little bit more. These are the things by which I judge and these are the things guests remember.
Like Rabbit Resort in Pattaya (who after failing to bring my ironing board after two previous requests, apologised with a bottle of fine French wine when the said ironing board was delivered),
Hotel Columbus will always remain special to me because of their customer service and their efforts to go just "that little bit further". If only all establishments could be like this.
You'll find grander establishments to be sure, but you won't find one that better lives up to its promise of putting the customer first as the Hotel Columbus. Score: *****/5

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room or a sea view room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guest, you are officially been appointed Gold member of the Columbus Fan Club ! no subscription to be paid but a huge thank you from all the Columbus Team for being such a loyal and supportive visitor. It's really nice to hear and I hope your kind comments and nice little anecdote will bring us lots of guests :-))) to take care of. Happy New Year to you. C.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Having stayed here in August, I decided to spend Christmas here. I travelled with a friend and we booked two junior suites. The receptionist remembered me and check in was complete with just a signature. As we had arrived in the morning, quite early, our suites were not ready but we were able to leave our cases and headed off for lunch with friends. During lunch, I received a phone call from reception to inform me that our suites were ready!

As before, the accommodation was spotless and very luxurious, with a beautiful balcony with views of Monaco Cathedral, the Prince's Palace, the magnificent museum and of course the sea.

Breakfast was great with a lot of choice. We dined in the restaurant on a number of evenings and had some excellent meals from the menu. The restaurant manager was one of the friendliest, professional gentlemen that I have met in a restaurant, as were the superb restaurant staff.

On Friday, we invited three friends to join us for "Fish and Chips" and were given the private area in the restaurant. Our waitress, Maggie, looked after us very well and served us well, with good humour!

The Columbus Hotel in Monaco is very lucky to have such dedicated, professional staff - nothing is too much trouble for them and they ensure that guests are well looked after. I would like to thank them all for making our stay so enjoyable.

I very much look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: It is well worth the extra cost for a Junior Suite!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Mr Alan W. many thanks for being such a faithfull and enthusiastic Columbus fan. This is very nice of you and we have forwarded your comments onto the staff as usual. They will be very useful to our future guests and hopefully bring us lots of visitors :-)) Warmest wishes for the New Year. C.
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

From the very friendly concierge staff, to the reception desk (where they knew we had stayed with them before) to the charming staff in the breakfast/dining room, we felt warmly welcomed once again. We had rooms with balconies and an amazing view to the sea, though it was a bit sad that they were digging up the rose garden, so that aspect wasn't so pleasant. The Columbus is one of my favourite hotels. It's in a great spot for walking into town and up to the Palace, and convenient for the excellent bus service that runs around Monaco. And nothing is too much trouble. We were meeting a friend for dinner at Quai des Artistes and when we went down to get a taxi, the concierge got her assistant to run us around in the hotel car. You can't get better treatment than that. Check in is quick and efficient, checkout the same. Anything you want is organised for you, and the whole place runs like clockwork. Dinner was lovely, and really my only criticism would be breakfast. It would be nice to have a change from scrambled eggs occasionally. Perhaps if I'd asked, I could have had an omelette, as the chef was working away in full view behind the window.

Room Tip: Nowhere seems to be noisy, but having a balcony is nice, particularly in summer.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear regular guest and Columbus fan ! Many thanks for sending such a nice and informative message. Our future guests will get a complete picture of our staff attitude and the different services provided. This is very rewarding to hear from regular guests the hotel is one of their favorite and we do hope to see you back down to Monaco in the near future. Kind regards. C.
Village in Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed at the Columbus for 3 nights, along with some friends. We found the hotel to be in a very good location, and our room(s) were very comfortable and spotlessly clean, with good towels and toiletries in the bathrooms. The bedlinen was spotless too and the beds were very comfortable. The staff, in the main, were very professional, and pleased to help. The buffet breakfast was excellent, with plenty of pastries, fruit, cereals, toast, yoghurts, and some of the creamiest and delicious scrambled egg I have ever eaten. The hotel is a couple of minutes from the heliport (we helicoptered in from Nice and out again) - very exciting and a wonderful way to viewing the coastline and area. Ride takes about 7 minutes. It took us about 15 minutes to walk into the centre of Monaco, and about 20 minutes to walk to the main harbour. You get great views of the Rock and Palace from Fontvielle harbour, which is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, and has an array of restaurants and bars there too. It is quite pricey to eat there, - we found it less expensive around the Palace. There is a supermarket quite close by which sells sandwiches and pastries etc.

Only drawback was that we had trouble with the minibar. We were given some wine as a present by friends, and I put it in the minibar fridge to chill. Unfortunately the space given as "personal" space was not big enough for the neck of the wine bottle, and I moved 3 items out of the bar in order to make room for it. I then found a notice on the top shelf of the fridge, which I assumed to be the bar tariff. It was - but there was also a warning on it that nothing should be removed from the fridge in order to use the fridge for personal items, or we would be charged 50 euros for "deep cleaning". I quickly removed our wine, and put the other 3 items straight back. I thought no more about it, until the morning when we left and the receptionist presented us with a bill for 50 euros. There was a sensor on the fridge, I was very unhappy, and explained what I had done, which was a genuine mistake. She still insisted the bill had to be paid. I was extremely upset by her attitude and my husband said that if they insisted on charging us 50 euros, then we wanted 50 euros worth of items from the minibar, or we would claim a chargeback from our credit card company as we did not think they could legally charge us for items we had not consumed, merely removed and replaced from the minibar. I asked to see the manager. After a long phone call between and receptionist and I guess the manager, she said that the bill would be waived. Thank you Columbus!! Phew!!.

Could I suggest that if the hotel wants to continue this "big brotherish" and frankly arrogant and offending practice, that the warning notice be stuck on the front of the fridge, not inside it?? It really cheapened what would have been an excellent weekend. I am therefore rating the hotel as "Very Good" rather than "Excellent".

Room Tip: The rooms on the 2nd floor have bigger balconies than the 5th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, we thank you for forwarding your kind and detailed comments. These will be very helpful for our future guests. We are sincerely sorry about the mixup with the minibar and can understand your position and disappointment. This procedure was put into place as during the summer, we experience a lot of guests using a minibar as a fridge (which it is not) and disturbing the system. We apologize for the lack of diplomacy and have given instructions for dealing with this problem in a better way. Best regards. C.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our experience is very different to the previous reviewers but thought it was important to say it as it was. We stayed at the Columbus for a friends 50th birthday in October. We booked a junior suite and were advised these were on the top floor. When we checked in we were told the top floor only had suites, not junior suites. The lady on reception was very helpful and gave us two rooms on the top floor (suites). Our friends were in a room overlooking the currently under construction rose garden, which they requested and we had a sea view. Our room did have a sea view with a tiny balcony which could just about fit two chairs on. Some of the rendering was coming off the wall onto the balcony floor. The carpet in the sitting room was thread bare, with large threads laying broken on top of the carpet. The suite consisted of a walk in wardrobe, sitting room, bedroom, bathroom with separate toilet shower and bath. The way the rooms were configured made the bedroom very small, with the bed facing the door into the room from the hotel corridor, which I have never seen before. In the toilet the plaster had been repaired but not painted, which looked a bit shabby.

We used the ice machine along the corridor, which had a specific room. There was no light in the room and the machine was balanced precariously on a wooden cafe chair, and there was no scoop to get the ice out.

There were no instructions in our room about setting the air conditioner, so while one of the staff were in the room I asked him how to do it. He was very helpful but could not set it either and said he would get the engineer to fix it, as it was hot in the room. When nobody arrived we called reception and they said the air conditioner was now switched off for winter.

If you wanted to sit outside in the restaurant for breakfast the waiter told us not to leave food unattended as the birds would take it. This was not an exaggeration as even when you were sat there the birds would still try and take your food, which was quite disconcerting.

The positives were the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The staff were pleasant particularly concierge staff. If you want to use the helicopter for transfers or the bus to get around, both are at the top of the street, so very convenient. The swimming pool (unheated) has a good sitting area with lots of loungers which the pool attendant will move for you. It it however through the garden out the back of the hotel and is for the use of the whole housing complex, not just the hotel.

If I was to return to Monaco I would prefer to stay in a hotel in Monte Carlo e.g. Hotel Hermitage rather than in Fontvieille, which is where this hotel is located.

Room Tip: Rose garden rooms appear bigger
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, we thank you for sending your comments. We can appreciate the different points you raise (the carpet, the lack of air conditioning information) but can assure you you were staying on the higher floor where you can find the best suites of the hotel (direct seaview, larger space, separate lounge and bedroom areas, walk in wardrobe) whereas the regular Junior Suites on the lower floors are tighter but still the same seaview. Columbus is a 3star hotel and cannot (and does not want to) compete with the Palace or 4star hotels located in the downtown area, such as the Hermitage. We do not have the same tariffs either. Best regards. C.

Been to Columbus Monte-Carlo? Share your experiences!