“Magnifique!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Monaco-Ville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Suggestions of dishes at lunch & fine dining menu at dinner. Closed on Sunday & Wednesday
Hockley, United Kingdom
“Magnifique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This restaurant is just wonderful. It would be easily overlooked as it has a small frontage and is down a narrow cobbled street. That would be a mistake!
It is in Monacoville, high up by the palace, looking down into the harbour. You can take the bus from Monte Carlo, for 1 Euro and it takes about 5 minutes up to the top or you can climb the huge steps which emerge just beside the palace. The views walking up and from the top are stunning. Alternatively you can take the coast road up (walking) and around the far side for another gentle way up to the top, some of which is via escalators and stairs. Either way the trip is worth it.
After reading the reviews here I decided to book and emailed Fabienne. She was so very helpful and reserved us a table for the saturday night. The restaurant opens for service at 7.45. On arrival we were met by Henri, the chef. He made us feel very welcome. The restaurant is intimate, with about 10 tables for 2, some of which could be pushed together for a larger group. There is an open kitchen to the rear from where you can see Henri freshly cooking your order.
On the evening we visited, 7th April there was a choice of 2 set menus. A 3 course, starter, main course and dessert for 39 Euros and a 4 course including cheese course for 45 Euros. Henri's wife, Fabienne, looked after us wonderfully. She welcomed us, translated the menu with perfect english and introduced each dish to us as it arrived. In addition to our choices from the menu we were served a pre appetiser, a tomato and olive canape and then an amuse bouche of a glass chilled tomato and a 'love apple'. This was a cherry tomato 'toffee apple'. It was very delightful. From the menu we chose a foie gras starter and a spring vegetable risotto with Parmesan crisp (gorgeous). Both were presented beautifully and tasted fresh and delicious.
For main course we had a mediterranean fish with orange butter and artichoke and duck breast with hoisin sauce. I cook duck breast at home....but not as good as Henri..so tender.
Our desserts were a chocolate Marquise and a fresh strawberry dish. Both devine. We enjoyed a bottle of chablis with the meal (37 euros) and the servce from Fabienne was faultless. She was attentive but not at all overbearing. She poured the wine as and when necessary, we did not wait for plates to be cleared and the ambience was just right. I would not hesitate to book again (we are returning next year and will book in advance to just to be sure) or to recommend it to our friends and family. We had a wonderful evening.

• Visited April 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Monaco
“Absolutely delicious... a culinary must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

As this restaurant is in my neighbourhood, I dine here from time to time but not as often as I would like! A tiny restaurant with the open kitchen at one end and a few extra tables outside. It is quite simply superb. Henri Geraci's cuisine - savoury and sweet - is constantly of the highest quality. Henri and Fabienne make everyone feel at home and nothing is too much trouble for them. I recommend this restaurant very highly.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Secret"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I visited Monaco for the second time March 2012.

Fortunately due to a busy schedule we were too late to get the reservations at the restaurant we wanted. Forced to find an alternative we decided to try La Montgolfiere as it was rated well. Having been in France for several weeks over the last couple years i have been fortunate enough to eat at some amazing restaurants. This was as good as any. They restaurants has only been open several months so the secret is not yet out I am guessing though tables fill up each night so book in advance.

We order the 3 course meal but were actually presented with 5 or 6 by the time the night was over. Each dish was excellent. I had a black rissoto while my mother had the prawns. I thought I had order well after my first bite which was excellent. Then I had a bite of my mothers prawns -- possibly the best sauce I have ever had with perfectly cooked prawns. My entree was a sesame tuna which was cooked perfectly like everything esle. My mother had Tarbot in a curry sauce. Curry is not my preference though we were advised it was mild (which proved to be true) and it was good. For dessert, I had a tiramisu which was certainly not traditional, though an amazing dessert. My mother had mieullefille (spelling) which was the best I have ever had.

The host was very kind and knowledgable. She spoke English well enough to explain the ingredients of each dish. She recommended a very good wine which was moderately priced and actually towards the lower range on the price list - though no wine was outrageously expensive.

The technicals: there are two choices, a 3 course set menu or a 4 course menu or a la carte. There are only 3-4 selections for appetizers, mains, and desserts and without doubt the set menus are the best value play, 39 Euros and 44 Euros I believe. For two set menus and wine our total bill was 120 Euros which was well worth it.

I will definitely go back next time I am in Monaco and would recommend it to anyone. It must be one of the best price / values in Monaco.

M

• Visited March 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Unforgettable Restaurant - We Will Go Back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We were walking around the old town of Monaco looking for a non-tourist restaurant there (it looked not so easy).
Fortunately, we bumped into Montgolfiere - very cute looking restaurant and menu card sounded very original and interesting - and we had excellent lunch time there.

Henri cooks marvellous French cuisine with touch of Japanese taste - his work melted on our tongue! He is not only a cook, but also an artist - with incredible ideas I have never thought about. Further more, the dishes are freshly prepared!

Fabienne offered us great service - very friendly, warm-hearted and extremely helpful! She takes care of each guests, regardless if they are local people or tourists. She enjoys and absolutely tries her best to make her guests so happy.

We had lunch their and price was somewhere between 14-20 Euros. But you also should not miss the desserts!!

We will definitely go to Monaco again to visit their restaurant !!!!!

• Visited November 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service, definitely recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This place can be easily missed and I’m so glad that we didn’t just walk past.
We ate in several restaurants in Monaco and this was the best place by far. The food and the service was second to none, and the price was very reasonable too. We paid 35 Euros each for a two course meal with several drinks each.

• Visited August 2011