“Basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alkionest Hotel Apartments

You added Alkionest Hotel Apartments to your Saves list
Alkionest Hotel Apartments
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Vasileos Stasiekou I | Poli Chrysochous, Polis 8830, Cyprus   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Polis
London, United Kingdom
“Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

On arrival lady on reception was asleep!!
Photos of rooms I guess were taken a while ago, as they are tired and in need of updating
Bar in reception never open
Only stayed 4 days and that was enough,Polis and Latchi lovely with some amazing fish tavernas.
Boats trips worth a go from Latchi.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Czech republik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Apartments spacious, clean, and in September we did not use air conditioning, even though it was still around 30 above zero, we often like other people leaving the door open to the gallery and it was enough to cool the room. We used a kitchen, but could be better equipped. Only 3 pots and a small pelvis, which are food připalovalo. We very much welcome the shops now pres street outside the hotel. Should everything you need, good prices, cheap beer and fruit mainly open until evening to get to know.
We used the pool a lot, every day was tidy, clean and water příjemná.Některé covers for chairs would like to replace, but otherwise we were happy.
The hotel is recommended for its convenient location. To the town of Polis with its shops, restaurants and a large and cheap business Papantoniou is a 10-minute walk. We rented a small motorbike for 18 euros per day and the beach we went way back to the camp, it took 4 minutes / walk about 15-20 minutes. On the bike we also went to the nearby hills where there are beautiful views of the countryside, sunsets, pubs, where time stands still. The couple from the Czech Republic

Cheshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

No restaurant, just seating area that looks like they have Cornfakes if you were to ask.

Bar never open, nor did it look like there was anything for sale there.

Pool table and kids facilities looked like they'd been used once upon a time, then forgotten about and moved to one side.

Reception area is staffed, but the poor old lady works far too many hours and was often lying asleep in the tv area bless her.

The rooms were basic and very dated. Kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom. The photos were probably done when it was new. It's ok, but needs updating.

The owner has obviously not kept on top of anything here, and it has simply been getting tired and worn.

The cleaners are regular, and I had no complaints with them, but the actual hotel is poorly managed, nice people or not, and this is no place to be spending your holiday.

OK for sleeping over in very basic accomodation, but the guy needs to employ some staff, and breathe a bit of life into the place.

Latsi however is stunningly beautiful and unspoilt, but the hotel strikes me that it doesn't make enough money to spend money improving it, and this can only be put down to bad management.

I need to point out that I have had no issues what so ever with the staff, and my review is honest, but this hotel was paid for, and not free, and so I expected it to be much better.

Simply being clean isn't good enough.

Sanibel Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

From the outside the Alkionest looks like you will wake up and there will be a dead body floating in the swimming pool, like some shabby 1950s LA motel out of James Ellroy, and it got me excited. But, sadly, connoisseurs of seediness will be disappointed here. There is not much to report. Cockroaches (all dead?), nations of long-tailed mosquitoes, that ashtray smell, decrepit rooms, midget balconies. You can walk to town but you will likely be mowed down by a Cypriot doing 80 in a pick-up truck.

Oddly, this place, which looks so much like a rendez-vous point for prostitutes and assassins, seems to attract families (like my own). Woe to them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Limassol, Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked a 1 bedroom apartment for 2 nights. Price was only 35 euros/ night so didnt expect much at all. All we actually needed and wanted was a basic and clean room where we could take a shower, sleep, and browse the internet occasionally for information. We didn't even get that.

Negatives: First of all, it had the tiniest tv I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure my laptop has a bigger screen. I don't watch tv so didn't care personally, but just thought I would mention it for those of you reading who might be interested. When I tried to put a bottle of water in the fridge, I noticed the fridge had not even been turned on. When I did plug it in, the light wasn't working. Did not bother to even try anything else in the kitchen. Our bedroom had paint pealing off the walls, a stained duvet (although sheets were clean) so slept without the duvet. Dead bugs were literally hanging off the walls. The bathroom walls were black, mouldy, and smelly, and on the second night upon arriving back to the apartment late at night, we were greeted by cockroaches roaming around the kitchen counters. Not just one, many. We managed to kill 3, the rest ran back into their hiding place. Bare in mind, we had no food at all in the apartment, and used it only for sleeping and showering. The funny thing is when we tried to check in before 12, we were told we had arrived early, and that they needed time to clean our room. We had no problem with this and came back at around 3pm to check in. If this is what they call a clean room, I would hate to see what a dirty room looks like.

Positives: Nice pool area, and well kept garden. Newish furniture in the bedroom which to be honest I found totally bizare. Its almost like they thought by adding a new bed, it would make up for the fact that the apartment itself was in shambles. Well priced internet (though only 256 kb speed), no problems with hot water, nice gym too, and on a main road. Very nice bakery right across the road. Other than that, nothing else positive to say really. When the hotel manager asked me if I managed to connect to the internet, I told him yes, but that the speed wasn't great. He then told me that the speed was fine, and that I probably had a bad wifi card. What a load of nonsense. I ran a speed test (www.speedtest.net/) in various parts of the hotel where I could get better signal hoping to get better speed, it was 256 kb everywhere, even in the hotel lobby where the signal was strongest. Thats basically dial up speed, and probably why its priced 5 euros for 24 hours. I wasn't expect super fast internet for that price, but to advertise that you provide internet at additional charge and then deliver a 256 kb connection is a bit of a joke in 2012 and I really didn't appreciate him trying to convince me that my 1300 euro business laptop has a dodgy wifi card.

I would never stay there again, nore would I recommend it to anyone. Maybe we were put in the worst room in the hotel because of the "good deal" we got, but even so, you would expect them to get the basics right and they really didn't even do that. My only regret is that I didn't take photos to share with you all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dormansland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at the Alkionest from the 8th-11th May 2012, whilst in the country on business. I have read all the reviews and I must admit to being gobsmacked at the criticisms. I have never stayed in such a clean hotel, the room may not have been to the Marriott standard but very adequate and had a comfortable bed with all facilities working. On my last day I had to change plans and be in Limassol at 8.30am causing me to have to leave at 6.30am (1.5 hours before start of breakfast). On my way out I noticed that my place had been set and a cosy put over my boiled egg...yes the owner (a lovely lady) had got up early to make sure it was ready for me; now if that's not personal service and going beyond the norm, I don't know what is! Try Lisa's Taverna at Argaka (the lamb moussaka at Eu6.50 is homemade and sensational, as is their hospitality). The Alkionest is a family run hotel who really do care and deserve more business. Well done also to Kyriakos who manages the hotel and runs the Pizzeria across the road...try the chicken strips in mustard sauce. Crime virtually non-existent and safer than Spain...just go there!

Room Tip: Just ask the management for the type of room you would prefer i.e. rear view over the fields, pool e...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Having booked an all-inclusive at a nearby 'holiday village' you can imagine our feelings at turning up and finding it closed until the following week and with no record of our booking (via reputable agent)!
Fortunately within a couple of hours, we were found 'alternative' accomodation, half-board, at the Alkionest. The hotel was certainly not of the same standard but we were made very welcome and the apartment, although basic, was clean and was kept clean.
Despite us being vegetarian our hosts cooked an interesting and different dish of a generous portion,each night. Breakfast was simple but ample (and the yoghourt divine!)
A lovely pool (but not the weather to enjoy it) and 'hidden' despite the hotel being on the main road. A pleasant stroll into town - not much to see there but a pleasant ambience. Polis beaches not good but a lovely route to Coral Bay (north of Paphos) - indeed some beautiful, at times challenging, routes around and about, so glad we hired a car for the week.
Despite our disappointment at not getting the up-market all-inclusive we had booked, we were very happy to have stayed at the Alkionest.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alkionest Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!