“Lovely Location, Friendly Staff, Hard Beds!” 4 of 5 stars

Semiramis Hotel
55 Spyrou Kyprianou St. | Pano, Platres 4820, Cyprus   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Platres
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely Location, Friendly Staff, Hard Beds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our 5th anniversary, and really enjoyed Platres. The hotel is set in amongst the trees, and we slept with our windows open for both of our two nights, listening to birds singing and the wind in the forest. I was a little hesitant to book here after reading the previous critique of the hotel, but was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival, a kindly old man helped check us in and spent quite awhile explaining how to access some of the nearby hiking trails. I think he may have been the owner. As for the quality of the rooms - the bed was quite hard and my wife didn't sleep too well on the mattress. However, the room was quite clean, and had a lovely view of the surrounding woods (I spent both mornings reading by the open window, enjoying the sounds and smells of the woods). Breakfast was good, with coffee/tea, ham/bacon, cheeses, fresh fruit, toast & jam, (and eggs one day). My only real complaint was with the supper offered at the "Village Tavern," as a part of the half-board rate. Apparently the same man owns both, and he offers a very lackluster set menu at the Village Tavern for supper. My suggestion would be to request B&B only (NOT Half Board) when booking. I'm not sure what other reviewers expected from this hotel, but for the price I felt like I was treated fairly. Platres was a delight, and I would love to go back for another hiking vacation!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

After viewing the website for this hotel and reading the other reviews we had quite high hopes for this hotel. We were, sadly, mistaken. On arrival the lady on reception was very nice and showed us to our room. That's when things turned sour. We had our 12 year old son with us and requested 1 room with an extra bed for him. The room was tiny. They had placed his bed under the window between the wardrobe and the dressing table therefore blocking access to both. We had to balance our suitcase on a chair to be able to open it and get anything out. When we asked if we could be moved to another room they said that there were non available and that this was one of the largest! That wasn't the worst of it. The room had a really nasty mouldy smell to it which never left even after having all the windows wide open all night. The bathroom was nice with a lovely corner bath, which we looked forward to be able to use but sadly there was no plug, thus only allowing you to have a shower. Why have that lovely big tub in the first place? There were no tea or coffe making facilities, which you would expect from a hotel in the mountains, not even 1 bottle of water or at least some glasses. My husband had to tune in the television himself as they only had 1 channel tuned in. The hotel's main areas were very nicely furnished and decorated but they clearly made no effort in the rooms, leaving just bare walls. After visiting Platres for our evening meal we returned to our hotel at 9 o'clock having decided we would have a drink at the hotel. When we got there the hotel was in total darkness apart from one little lamp that was lit at a table where a gentleman was sitting who asked us if we were staying there and bid us goodnight. So that was that for the night. The next morning we were woken up at 6.30 by the clattering of plates and glasses below our window (which we had to leave open all night because of the smell) which was where they were setting up for breakfast. So we got up for breakfast. Having sat down we realised there was no buffet, which was not a big problem, until they started to bring out the food. There was one plate of fried lounza, bacon and ham, toast and jam and butter. The problem was that my husband being allergic to pork couldn't eat any of this. He therefore went to the kitchen to find a member of staff to ask if they at least had some cereal and was told that they had run out. This in what was supposed to be the high season with a hotel full of people. Some people received juice others were not even offered it. So having finished our "breakfast" we went back to the room and decided to check out instead of staying for the 2 nights we had originally booked. My husband therefore went to reception to ask for the bill and tell them that we were leaving. The lady on reception did not even ask why? This only strengthened our belief that they were used to people being disatisfied with the hotel, or just plainly did not care. It is such a shame as the overall look of the hotel and location is nice. If they had someone who cared a little more and did a little decorating , maybe getting in some more staff the hotel would be wonderful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
CYPRUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Spend two days in Semiramis Hotel after searching the net and reading the comments from other people that spend time in this hotel. Platres have been and always will be my favorite place in Cyprus. The nature the trees the birds the people the houses the climate. everything!! i hve spend time in other places in Platres before and i decided this time i needed something different more quiet more NATURAL more local more in the forest. Semiramis "looked" and "sounded" like the place i was looking for. so i booked me a room and went there on a Saturday morning to spend a long relaxing weekend.
The place is IN THE TREES and in an amazingly quiet area on the mountain. its walking distance from the village center and busy centre in case you want to see movement of people and cars but its like you are in the wilderness. The hotel is renovated and really confortable and quiet and you can spend your time either in the garden or the indoor sitting rooms without anyone botheringyou except some very rare times and only to ask you if you need anything to drink. Mr Iacovos as well as Alla were very helpfull and very kind. the food in the village tavern owned by the same family was very tasty and included in the half board rate i paid. i will definetly visit again and planning to make it a habit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

What a warm welcome we received! Nothing was too much trouble. Jacovus has so much local knowledge,. He could direct us to interesting places, teach us about nightingales and was always friendly without ever being pushy. Alla and Viki made certain we wanted for nothing and kept our room spotless.

This is not a big plush hotel with luxurious features. It is a family run, caring, friendly place and a joy to stay in.

If you go to Platres, be sure to visit the village restaurant, owned and run by the same family. It is authentic and good value and has the same friendly caring attitude.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Venice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

I visited Platres in Nov 08 when it was very very quiet. I checked out four hotels and spoke to some locals. The Semiramis got all the votes. Very interesting design. Very friendly. Bathroom seemed bigger than the bedroom. Very personalised and good breakfast. Only downsides was no food in the evening (the town seemed closed down at 7:30 pm) and we found the bed uncomfortably hard. Otherwise very good.

• Liked — Design. Atmosphere. Friendly service
  • Disliked — Hard bed. Lack of evening food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nicosia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Over the years I've stayed in most hotels in the Cyprus Troodos Mountains. Around 18 months ago, Agis Iacovides - owner of the Semiramis Hotel in the village of Platres - invited me to the opening ceremony of his newly renovated Boutique Hotel. He invited me because he knew I had been commissioned (as an author of Cypriot history) to write an account of the early days of Platres explaining how it had aquired the soubriquet of 'the village of Kings & Poets'. I had met him some months before whilst researching all the hotels - past and present - in the village.
The opening ceremony was as good as any I have attended - plenty to eat, even more to drink and a good time enjoyed by all. I was impressed by what I saw - a small (only 10 double bedrooms) beautifully furnished, classy hotel set in lovely grounds. The hotel is an old Edwardian hotel recently renovated and now enjoying a new lease of life as an E.U. listed and protected building.
At the first opportunity I booked a weekend stay there. The fully en-suite rooms are lovely and ours had a balcony with spendid views over the gardens and surrounding pine trees towards the distant sea. The wonderful singing of the many nightingales in the surrounding trees was a bonus I hadn't expected but was most welcome.
My only slight disappointment was that it was bed and breakfast only. They have a lovely bar, superb sitting room and a great dining room but they don't use these facilities - except for breakfast - which incidentally is huge and excellent.
Maybe these facilities are used at other times but not when I stayed there. This didn't matter too much as there are so many restaurants of all diffent types within easy walking distance of the hotel and Platres is an area that you want to explore rather than stay in the hotel all day.
All in all, an excellent hotel and well worth a visit.

• Liked — Building and location
  • Disliked — Not full board
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Semiramis Hotel? Share your experiences!