“Heard good things but sadly failed to live up to expectation” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Heard good things but sadly failed to live up to expectation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a lovely Dutch couple at our hotel who sadly left too early and who are regular visitors to Paphos and knew the owner and his family. It was because of their recommendation my wife and I decided to visit the restaurant. It is fair to say that at some point during a stay in Cyprus you have to try the Kleftico as everyone you meet will ask, and Greka's Klefitco came highly recommended.

The owner of the restaurant Panicos came across as a nice and larger than life gentleman who took our order for Kleftico and a marinated pork dish along with my order for a Brandy Sour. As I took the first sip of my drink I noticed a dark spot on the side of the glass and on closer inspection inside the glass were a couple of ants floating around. I bought it Panicos' attention and he went to get me another and then came back and told me the bitters had the ant problem and so I couldn't have the same drink, so I went for a vodka and orange juice. When this arrived the tumbler was full of orange juice so it was hard to taste the vodka. After the ant incident I chose to keep quiet.

The restaurant wasn't busy when we visited and so it didn't take long for our food to arrive and whilst my wife's Kleftico was tender and fell off the bone, it was also not hot and there was a thin layer of congealed fat maybe as a result of it not being thoroughly warmed. The fact my wife was ill that evening made us think that maybe it had been cooked earlier and served luke warm rather than blasted with more intense heat. My marinaded pork on the other hand was good and we did both think the potato as it was one big roastie was good.

As we ate and tried to speak to one another the combination of the music playing in the restaurant and the cacophony of deafening and annoying music from the ridiculous Kings Tavern across the road made it impossible. I did complain to Panicos as I initially thought it was the restaurants music and when he turned his down I realised it was the restaurant across the road with their open front and huge speakers that were torturing us - shame on the Kings Tavern - maybe some of the other restaurants should tell them to turn it down?

Already enduring a poor food and atmosphere Panicos then then sat on an adjacent table and started to chain smoke. Whilst I accept he is the owner and it is his place I would have thought that keeping the customers happy would have been more important to him than his need for nicotine. Unlike the UK and parts of the US where smoking happens outside restaurants in Cyprus this is not the case although a couple of restaurants like the excellent Tea for Two up the road used signs to encourage smoking at the tables outside. The fact that we were not having a great experience anyway and thinking that the owner should know better I didn't broach the issue with Panicos who looks like he is not new to the restaurant business. But it is obvious if your diners are not smoking and nowadays fewer people do smoke then don't smoke near them as it is a sure fire way of spoiling their meal - I would rather taste my food than someone's second hand smoke

All in all I am sorry to say to our Dutch friends Piasta Greka didn't live up to the hype.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Paphos, Cyprus
“A great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have visited this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. The food is of a great quality, and so fresh.
I highly recommend the sucking pig. However Panicos the owner will often recommend what's great and I've never been let down by his suggestions.
This restaurant does not need the gimmicks of other cypriot restaurants in the local area. The food and service speaks for itself.
This is a family run local business which everyone should try.
There are set menus available which are great value also.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Potatoes to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on the first day of our holiday nice pleasant atmosphere. Can't remember what I had only that the potatoes were lovely.

Visited September 2013
“Great food and entertaining dinning experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We ate here 3 times on our holiday, the owner is quite a character he likes to tell you what you are going to have, although you can choose from menu of course too. Owner is passionate about fresh good home cooked food and that is what you get, cooked by his wife. Every time we left very happy, lovely fresh food and great service. Go here rather than the flashy looking places round about for real Cypriot food.

Visited September 2013
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Traditional & very welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

A lovely traditional restaurant, we found the best selection of vegetarian dishes,the owner even made us a pasta special that was not on the menu & it was superb, the vegetarian moussaka is out of this world. Homemade food using fresh ingredients. The family that own it are lovely people, very friendly & welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. We visited 5 times in all & would recommend this as a great place to eat.

• Visited August 2013