“Lovely hotel need to train staff better.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Poseidonos Ave | PO Box 62654, Paphos 8066, Cyprus   |
Ranked #44 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel need to train staff better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at the Aquamere for a week in February in a room overlooking the pools and with a sea view.It is definitely worth the extra for a sea view.Rooms were good and very clean.
Food was good with lots of choice.Wine and drinks very expensive and the wine was a bit rough obviously bought cheap,sold expensive.
We arrived at 9.15pm and were told that the restaurant had closed at 9.00am.When I enquired if I could get a sandwich,or snack ,the receptionist told me,rather abruptly,that the kitchen was closed.When we had unpacked I noted that the hotel information stated quite clearly that room service was available until10pm.At around .9.45pm we went back down to reception to order a sandwich,the receptionist suggested that we order in the bar.Unfortunately,the bar man told us that last orders for sandwiches and snacks was 9.45 pm and that as the kitchen was closed we could not order any food.We went into Paphos and enjoyed a meal in one of the restaurants,but not a good start!
A group of Russian footballers on a winter break were staying at the hotel and occupied rooms on our corridor.They were impeccably behaved no noise at all.However,they did leave all their dirty kit outside their rooms every day.Each time we returned to our room we had to pick our way around dirty kit including underwear.Not the sort of thing you expect in a 4 star hotel.We complained every single day,sometimes twice a day and each time were told that the hotel manager had spoken to the football manager and things were in hand.They clearly were not in hand as the problem was not dealt with.At no time did anyone see us to apologise or explain.The hotel did redeem itself on the last day when a complimentary tray with sparkling wine and snacks was left in our room.We were also able to keep the room all day on our last day and checked out at 5.00pm.However,it should have been felt with and a manager should have spoken to us.
Don't be put off as the hotel has good facilities and is in a lovely location.BUT management DO take note better customer service please.

Room Tip: Get a seaview
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
Ongar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having done many special offer breaks in the past some being bad!!!!!!!, we thought we would give it a go!!! And what a lovely surprise , we arrived at 8.30 pm and was quickly checked in by a very helpfully receptionist, we booked a sea view room and it was great, food is very good not a big choice but a good quality , rooms good very clean also tea and coffe making facilities , staff all very polite and friendly and helpful and Marina is always smiling . The walk along the front to Paphos harbour takes about 40 mins and a very nice walk it is . You can get a bus back a 611 or a 612 bus stops right out side the hotel. Now for the down side. The pool bar was closed which was a shame and I think it would have been an idea to have opened it just for drinks, the sunbeds are the most uncomfortable I have ever come accross, no cushions either, and there were no sun umberellas. The bed in the room was very hard, we did complain and they did put a duvet on top but it did not make much difference. It was like sleeping on the floor. There is also no entertainment in the hotel apart from a pretty average guitaist singer on a Saturday night. So after dinner unless you fancy a cab/bus ride into town or a 40 minute walk there is nothing to do. Overall though a nice 4 * hotel even if it's a bit out of the way,

• Stayed February 2013
Ulverston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have just returned from a fortnights stay with my partner Alison in Cyprus. We stayed in the Aqua Mare spa hotel in Paphos, and without exception the best 4 star hotel we have ever stopped in.
From arriving in the hotel reception area which is outstanding all the staff throughout the complex were pleasant, professional, and extremely well turned out. The hotel its self was spotless throughout our stay and our sea view room was cleaned daily to a very high standard.
All the restaurants which there are 3 were well staffed and the food presented was to a high standard.
Because of the time of year of our visit we were unable ( due to the temp of the water) to use the outside pool, but the inside pool was heated and pleasent Alison made full use of the Gym,Sauna,Steam room and Jacuzzi, which are all free to guests.
Unable to comment about Spa as we did not use.
Cannot praise this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view, well worth it.
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had visited Paphos before in February so had no surprises with the weather although we still hoped we would get some sun. The hotel is very good, the staff especially in the Nektar Bar are pleasant, polite and helpful. Dining room staff are also efficient, friendly and discrete. The hotel in general is of high standard, the rooms are kept clean, are well equipped and spacious. I'm not sure I would be too keen on this hotel in the height of the season, I would be doubtful if breakfast and dining rooms would cope with the hotel being full.
The area that the hotel is in is pleasant with walks along the seafront to the harbour easily accessible to even the reluctant walker.
I would love to return to this hotel but in May/June time when there would be more open in Paphos and more sunshine!

Room Tip: A seaview room on the higher floors are good.
stoke on trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ive just got back from this hotel having taken my daughter there during half term. With the time of year i was excpecting it to be a little tough to find things to do but i was pleasantly proven wrong. As per other reviews the lobby sets the tone for the whole hotel, professional and welcoming. The bar is in the lobby area as is the main room for the evening meals. The food is themed each night and my daughter is a typically fussy eater but they had something every night that she liked, and if that wasnt enough the room service is brilliant too. The bar staff were superb, very friendly and accomodating and they showed all the football in there at night too. The outdoor pools and the setting just on the beach were excellent, the lower ground floor had the spa, breakfast room, shop and indoor pool. The indoor pool was great, nice and warm. The coastal walk is a must to the harbour town and even though some places were shut there was still plenty on offer. The mosaics and the tombs are also a must and easy to get too with the transport network they have in paphos - all in all a great trip.

Room Tip: Make sure you charge to your room - the hotel exchange rate is great!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I just spent two weeks at the Aquamare hotel and it was way above my expectations. I got a good off season deal with holidaygems.com and I have to say I was unsure the hotel would live up to the advertising for the money we paid. But we walked into a beautiful reception area with lovely freindly and helpful staff who were not only able to provide us with information about local resteraunts/bus routes etc but provided us with maps & timetables. The rooms were spotless and though I had one at the front of the hotel overlooking the road - the road was quiet and there was lovely views of the mountains in the distance.

I was on a B & B basis and every morning there was a lovely selection of cooked and continental food that would meet everyone's requirements with fresh fruit juices. I went down at varies times of the serving time for breakfast (between 0700-1000 hours) and no matter what time there was still a full selection available. When the weather is warmer there was also facilities to sit outside overlooking the pool and beach to have breakfast. I didn't eat any other meals in the hotel because I was out and about exploring but the resteraunts looked lovely.

I should mention there is a work site adjacent to the hotel at the moment (Feb 2013) but there didn't appear to be much activity when i was there - though that might change. the only issue I would see with this would perhaps be a little noise first thing in the morning if you are in a room at that side of the hotel as it doesn't affect the views from either the rooms or the pool area.

The hotel has a lovely outdoor poor and childrens' pool and there is also a heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam & sauna rooms which I made use off on a number of occassions. They were relaxing and very clean.there was also a well equiped gym ( which I didn't use) as well as spa facilities which though looked lovely I didn't use either.

The hotel is about 21/2-3km walk to the harbour area 930-40 mins depending on the speed you walk) and you can go either along a beautiful coast walk from the rear of the hotel or along the main road (I stuck to the main road at night but only as it was a bit quicker and away from the wind),

There are lots of resteraunts/bars/shops etc at the harbour area and though there are some much nearer the hotel most of these were closed for the winter (open again mid Feb/March). There was still ample selection within town though and I would highly recomment Penguino's, 7St George's (which is a bit out of town but worth the effort for a more traditional Meze meal - food is all organic) and Les Amis. To be honest everywhere I ate the staff were lovley and the food delicious and you do get what you pay for with huge portions.

There is a regular bus service from right outside the hotel down to the harbour area where there is a bus terminal for onwards buses to outlying areas and the shopping area in the town centre. The bus cost 1Euro per ride or 3euro's for a day ticket - took about 5 mins from the hotel to the harbour.

I did hire a car for some of my stay as I wanted to explore other areas further affield - I used elephantrentacar pre-booked the car (you'll find them on a google search) but phoned up to see if I could get it a day early and it was delivered 40 minutes later - no excess mileage or other hidden charges and friendly reliable service - much cheaper than the bigger car rental companies. Car dropped off at the hotel where you have to be available to check and sign it but when finished with it you just lock keys within the boot and leave it parked at the hotel - no fuss.

There are plenty of attractions to see in Paphos especially if you are interested in history - all of the archielogical parks/museums are between 1.50 and 4 Euros to. Some recommendations would be:-

The Paphos Archielogical Park (just behind the harbour) - old mosiacs and lovely walk - give yourself a couple of hours and bring water if the weather is nice there is little cover from the sun.

Tomb of the Kings - just outside (can take the number 615 bus from the harbour and ask the driver to drop you at the Tomb - about 10 mins).

If you have a wander around the town have a look for Hrysopolitissa Basilica & St Pauls Pillar - beautiful old church also Agia Solomoni Catacombs (look for the tree with all the cloth rags hanging from it). It's also worth the couple of Euro's to go into the Paphos Castle on the harbour for the views over the harbour itself.

The Byzantine and Ethnographical museums are both worth a visit - both pretty small so can be done in an hour so (just around the corner from each other) - if you go here walk just a bit further behind (ask for Muse bar/resteraunt) for beautiful views over the city - worth going here at sunset.

In Geroskipou village just on outskirts of Paphos there is a beautiful old church Agia Paraskevi with beautiful fresco paintings within - lovely wee cafe's around it, Just behind this I saw a sign for the Folk Museum (which wasnt in my guide book or on any of the sites I visited) and it was fantastic - old house with the rooms demonstrating different areas of traditional Cyrpiot life - work and home - definetely worth a visit.

There are of course lots to do in other areas of Cyprus some of the places I visited which I would recommend (some you can get to my regular bus servce others you will need a car or go on a bus tour)-

- Aphrodite's Rock and Aphrodite's Temple - where again there is a lovely museum that I got a guided tour around as no other visitors when I went.

- Ancient Kourion and the Kourion musuem

-Agios Nephoytes Monastery - part of the monastery is cut into the caves in the hill - it is about 20 mins out of Paphos in the car and a nice drive into the hill.

-Kykkos Monastery - beautiful painted rooms depicting stories from the bible - worth doing if you are going up to Troodos or doing the wine routes - there are regular tours to here. Stunning views if you do go bit further up the mountain to Troodos or Mt Olypmus (there was snow when I was here and I made the mistake of going on a Sunday when all the locals came out to enjoy the snow - was fun watching them though a bit chaotic at the top - think it is popular with locals on a Sunday anyway so maybe best to avoid it then if you can).

-Visit Polis and Latsi harbour on the north coast - beautiful drive from Paphos and you can take a different route back if you want a bit more variety.

Trip up Troodos mountain - stunning views and if your in a car you can pass through lots of pretty villages (tour buses would not get through some of the villages as the roads are too small so they still to the main routes).

- Paphos Zoo - not huge but worth a wee visit particularly if you like birds or have kids - look out for the playful otters and the times of the bird shows (parrots & owls). Animals well looked after. It was the most expensive of the places I visited at 15euro but then there is a cost for looking after the animals. There seems to be a complimentary bus that does pick ups from the hotels in town (Zoo is actually about 35 mins drive from town) or you can get a scheduled bus from the town.

If you are hiring a car the roads are in really good condition - highways were as good if not better than home and not very busy. The drive on the left same as UK and have similar road rules which makes it easy for the British. GOing into the mountains the roads become quite windy but are in really good condition and I didn't find them busy (though again I was there in Jan off season). I only had a small car and it got me about easy enough with no issues but if you are planning going onto the dirt roads you will probably need a 4x4 especially if it rains.

I did go up to Nicossia and crossed over into the Northern territory which was really easy to do - around the Green Line that seperates the two countries is a lot of abandoned buildings and it is a bit run down compared to everywhere else (on both sides). Interesting to do but didn't see anything in Nicolsia itself just had a quick walk around then I jumped the bus in the Northern side and headed up to Kyrenia a beautiful harbour town on the north of the island which is definetely worth a visit - there is a massive Castle overlooking the harbour with interesting history and beautiful views from the top walls that you can walk around. If you hire a car in the south side of the island you can take it to the north depending on the hire company but the insurance is void and you need to arrange insurance in the north. Remember and take your passport if you want to cross the Green line - even if you are only going accross and coming straight back.

My only disappointment with my holiday was that I had intended to do quite a bit of diving but due to the weather I only managed a couple of days - what I did do was lovely right enough and I intend to go back again in warmer weather and make up for that. I dived with Cydive who were very good and came highly recommended.

Hope this is off some help to anyone planning a trip to Paphos in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Me and my partner went here last week and really enjoyed getting some winter sun. There was a nice of days as there was shorts n tshirt days but also days where a jacket was needed making sightseeing easier.

I would recommend the tomb of the kings and the archelogical site at the end of the harbour as they are real treasures of paphos, in my opinion more so than aphrodities rock n baths. Also the walk from the hotel to the harbour is amazing and only takes 30 mins and you get to noisy around the back of the other hotels....soon realising the aquamare is the most beautiful.

The hotels layout, especially outside is stunning and sitting outside for breakfast in the mornings is great. There are plenty of sun loungers which you can move around and there is a nice amount of guests to create a nice atmosphere but remain relaxing. The spa for no extra charge is beautiful and means you dont miss not being able to swim outdoors. The first time you go though I would ask for a tour as its a bit of a maze and we weren't sure where to change and although the guy in charge of the gym etc was friendly he did come across as a little arrogant so we felt embarrassed not knowing where to go.

The food is good, the quality at breakfast I felt was better than in the evening however my partner eats meat and I dont and he found it brilliant. We also ate outside of the hotel and found some real gems. Id recommend choles the chinese, the bella italia and the la tavern in coral bay which is further out. With this one I wouldnt leave it to late if your on the bus as they did drive past us once. However the bus service in general is super being only one euro for a single or three euros for a day ticket which we worked out saved us ten euros each day. You need to remember your stops and to press the bell but if your not sure the drivers all speak great english and will call you when your at your stoo. Also some stops are further away from the road, at these make sure you wave or make yourself seen or they may miss you.

The rooms in the hotel are nice but do appear mor basic than there picture so dont be disappointed. The rest of the hotel is gorgeous and lives upto the four star standard. There was tissue missed in our room from the last guest but the room was cleaned to a lovelh standard every day after.

The hotels reception staff are so pleasant and will go all out to help you with any queries. Just note the airport bus goes only every hour. The one to the harbour every fifteen minutes. Although the reception staff do try they did mix this up for us a couple of times and I would recommend planning your journeys at the bus station in the harbour as they know more about this and are very helpful. For anything else thougj the hotel staff as I say are great, one girl even booked us a table after finding out the details of a restaurant I could eat at which was brilliant.

Overall the hoilday was surperb and it is one of the only places I have visited and wanted to immediately book again for. This is in a large part due to this hotel which is gorgeous, relaxing and offers a friendly and brilliant base.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!