“Lovely hotel with nice sea views” 4 of 5 stars

Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Poseidonos Ave | PO Box 62654, Paphos 8066, Cyprus   |
Ranked #52 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with nice sea views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is perfect if you are looking for a clean, quiet hotel with a nice sea view. The spa facilities, although maybe considered pricey is another added bonus to this hotel along with the gym and hairdressing salon. The outdoor area is very impressive which offers a bar til late and a private beach with plenty of sun loungers (the sunset view is a must). There are three very clean pools- a childrens themed pool, an outdoor medium sized pool and a additional indoor pool. The hotel offers a nice breakast selection ranging from fruit, English and Continental breakfasts which are cooked fresh daily. The lunchtime buffet Is also delicious and can be purchased at an additional 15euros if you have not included this in your package.You also have the option of adding evening meals. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and smell fresh.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
Leeds, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

In advance of travelling we were contacted by our tour operator Thomas cook to advise that building works were taking place on the adjoining site. The views of the crane and foundations weren't the most attractive for those located on that side of the hotel, but in terms of noise it didn't cause us a problem whatsoever - it seems as if very little if any work was taking place for the majority of our one week stay, although this situation could of course change as the works progress.

Crane aside, this hotel provided stunning views. The pool and lawn look out onto the shimmering Mediterranean sea, a particularly beautiful sight as the sun goes down. The beach immediately outside the hotel is quite rocky so not particularly suitable for children or the less mobile, but the sea itself was wonderfully warm, as was the clean, pleasant swimming pool. In addition to the main pool (1.4m deep) there is a shallow pool for small children complete with pirate ship!

Inside the hotel the facilities are all clean and comfortable, including a large air conditioned lobby filled with comfy sofas, indoor and outdoor bars and two separate restaurants for breakfast/lunch and dinner. As mentioned by other reviewers, the bars were very very quiet, probably because the prices were on the whole twice as much as in other bars in the resort. The bar staff are however very friendly, and the poolside bar in particular is lovely for a late night drink.

Our room was comfortable with twin beds and a clean bathroom with bath and shower facilities. Good touches included free use of the safe in the room and an empty fridge - essential given the amount of water required to survive the Cypriot heat!

We stayed on a half board basis and generally found the food selection and quality to be good. Breakfasts included many hot options, including eggs and pancakes cooked to order, as well as cold meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurts and pastries. Half board guests can swap their evening meal for lunch on any day which we took advantage of several times so that we could explore paphos harbour's many culinary opportunities! The evening meals in the hotel had a specific theme each night; i enjoyed most of them although friday's fish night did somewhat limit my options as a non seafood eater! The pudding selections were really nice; far better than I've experienced in other hotel buffets.

The location of the hotel suited us well; although it's about 45mins walk from the centre of paphos harbour the number 611 bus stops outside every 10mins (approx) and costs just 1 euro. A one day bus pass costs 3 euros, or a one week pass 13 euros.

Overall we had a great week and based on the amount we paid for this hotel compared to others in the area I feel that it provided a excellent stay at great value for money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the aquamare.

• Stayed August 2012
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Booked this hotel through Thomas Cook back in January 2012 to attend a family wedding at the nearby Ledra Beach Hotel.
2 weeks before we were due to travel, we had an e-mail from TC advising us of the building work that others have commented on. We had the option to change to another hotel (although TC wouldn't cover the extra cost) or have a full refund. After much consideration we decided to stick with it.
We had a sea view as requested, which was lovely, but also had a superb view of the building site next door!! To be fair, we heard very little noise from the building site in the whole time we were there (7 nights), no machinery or anything, just a little banging at times. In fact the builders didn't seem to be there very much at all, although this could change as the work progresses.
Location wise, it's in a quiet part of Paphos, well away from the town centre, a good 40 minute walk, but there is an excellent bus service costing just 1 euro.
The hotel itself is very nice, the lobby, the bar areas, and our room was great, very clean, nice balcony area, plenty of wardrobe space, hairdrier, fridge, kettle, tv (although just the 1 English channel - Sky News).
Others have commented on the price of drinks in the hotel bars, and I have to agree with this, and this is probably why hardly anybody used them. The Nektar Bar, just off the lobby, looked a really nice place to sit and have a drink, but we never saw anybody in there!! There is a really good supermarket 5 minutes up the road, stocking anything you could possibly want.
I have to agree with a previous comment about the number of Russian/East European guests, and although I have nothing personal against them, it possibly explains the surliness of some of the hotel staff - not all of them I hasten to add.
I would actually like to give the hotel 3.5, as in my opinion it's better than a 3 but not quite a 4.
I think the hotel is just missing a couple of tricks which would boost it's appeal.
The towels they give you for the beach/pool area (which you have to get from the spa) are like tatty rags! The beach area needs a little TLC to make it more appealing, just a bit of a tidy up and a bit of landscaping would work wonders!
The breakfasts were a little on the bland side and I was struggling to enjoy them by about the 3rd day, and I'm in no way a fussy eather! I know you never get decent sausages when you're outside the UK, but their sausages were revolting. The saving grace at breakfast time was the omelette lady! Her omelettes were delicious!
Evening meals were better though, as they changed the buffet theme every night, but the dinner restaurant lacked atmosphere.and seemed a little drab
Considering the hotel was full (or so we were told) everywhere was dead in the evenings. No entertainment whatsoever. There was a lovely outdoor terraced area with nice seating, and a kiosk (which could be a bar?) but it was closed the whole time we were there, and hence hardly anybody used it.
Would I go to the Aquamare again? Probably not. There are much nicer hotels in the area, but they come at a cost. I guess you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms on the side of the hotel closest to Asimina Suites Hotel next door are furthest away...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larnaka, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel is nth fancy on the outside or the inside. There is plenty of parking space underground and uncovered. The service was not as expected, as one day we waited for three hours for towels as we phoned the resception at least 2 times. The cleaning of the rooms was ok but every day there was the same stain on one of the sheets. The view from outside of our room of Paphos sunset though was magnificent and we didn't hear any noise as other people were commenting on. The hotel was looking half empty but they were telling the customers that they were full. The breakfast was excellent and one of the best I ever had but again with luck of service. The pool was really nice but for a four star hotel I would have expected something better. The beach is not offered for swimming though but you can try the next door hotel's one. Also if you needed beach towels you had to go to the spa with a card and exchange it with some filthy white towels or you had to pay 15 euros. Overall I am not keen to visit this hotel again I would prefer paying so much money and go to another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Perthshire, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at Aquamare. Our other stays being at Christmas. I still love this hotel and have previously given it the highest scores for everything. We knew that visiting in summer would have a different feel. Rooms are very good with excellent individually controlled air-conditioning and use of safe & fridge at no extra charge. Housekeeping is of a very high standard. Sea view rooms are the best by a mile...the view from the balcony is simply stunning. The public areas are cool & stylishly furnished. The pool area is lovely. Reception staff pleasant & helpful. We stayed half board and the food in the restaurant is still delicious, very well presented & of a very high standard. Breakfast buffet is great with something for all nationalities. My favourite is the freshly made French toast & pancakes. I have a few niggles which prevent me from giving such a high score this time. There is meant to be a dress code for the dining room in the evenings...no shorts, flip flops etc. This is not being adhered to in any shape or form which is a great shame because the dining room itself is lovely with linen tablecloths, napkins etc and is in no way the cafeteria-type experience of some hotels. Other reviewers have mentioned the fact that the bar is consistently empty .... and I mean empty...every evening. This is a missed opportunity by the hotel and I'm sure it's because the prices are way too high. The price of drinks at the pool bar is also very expensive and I'm sure puts people off using it. We wandered into a few neighbouring hotels and the prices there seemed more reasonable & the bars all busy with a good atmosphere. The food at the pool bar is good and reasonably priced. We like staying at hotels that have a wide variety of nationalities but have to say that we felt slightly overwhelmed by the number of Russian guests this time. We were always able to find sunbeds with an umbrella at any time of day which was great but the beds do need updating and maybe a member of staff could occasionally retrieve the ones people leave on the beach? All of the staff work very hard and we found them all to be very pleasant & helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I spent 7 nights here in early August as part of a package tour. It's a good place to stay with kids - there's a kids pool as well as a regular one.

We went half-board - it makes life much easier. Breakfast was good - you really could fill up for the day. As I have read on other reviews, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fresh juice at breakfast buffets. Dinner was also fine - I would have preferred more Greek food. By far the best of the 'themes' was the Greek one.

The room was pretty standard. With hindsight, I would have paid a bit extra for the sea view. There is some noise at night from the road outside - bikes going past - but nothing to keep you awake all night.

We were told in advance that there is building work going on next door. There is a huge crane, but there was basically no noise at all. Were it not for the crane, you wouldn't have known anything was happening.

The location is too far out to walk to the harbour, unless you're feeling particularly energetic. The bus service is excellent - just one euro each way, or three euros for a one-day ticket. The buses are also frequent, and run until quite late. It's a short trip.

All in all, we were pleased with everything. The wi-fi was a bit dodgy in the room (it's free), but the lounge has a strong signal. It's great for families and there's an empty fridge in the room that you can use, and no charge for the room safe either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2012 and found it disappointing overall.

I had booked a 'superior' room for 2 adults and 1 child, but on arrival we were shown to an average sized room, which was 'cosy' at best for 3 people. The hotel staff were generally friendly and helpful, although surprisingly there was no information or leaflets available on places of interest or activities in the local area.

Our only attempt at ordering room service also ended in failure and frustration; the menu stated that room service was available until 10pm, but when I rang to place an order at 9.50pm, I was told by a very surly staff member that I was too late as the order needed to be placed by 9.45pm! I pointed that there was no mention of that on the room service menu, but the staff member just talked over me and repeated that I was too late...so we gave up and went and ate out instead.

On the positive side, the hotel's location is quite good as it is close to the beach, shops and restaurants, although the strip of beach owned by the hotel is pretty disappointing in comparison to the very impressive stretch owned by the hotel next door. The pool area is attractive and peaceful, although the sun loungers were without a doubt the oldest and most uncomfortable I have ever sat on.

Overall I would rate this hotel as 3 star, rather than 4 star and will not be planning a return visit there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!