“Still Lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 59 Specialty lodging in Paphos
Perthshire, Scotland
“Still Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at Aquamare. Our other stays being at Christmas. I still love this hotel and have previously given it the highest scores for everything. We knew that visiting in summer would have a different feel. Rooms are very good with excellent individually controlled air-conditioning and use of safe & fridge at no extra charge. Housekeeping is of a very high standard. Sea view rooms are the best by a mile...the view from the balcony is simply stunning. The public areas are cool & stylishly furnished. The pool area is lovely. Reception staff pleasant & helpful. We stayed half board and the food in the restaurant is still delicious, very well presented & of a very high standard. Breakfast buffet is great with something for all nationalities. My favourite is the freshly made French toast & pancakes. I have a few niggles which prevent me from giving such a high score this time. There is meant to be a dress code for the dining room in the evenings...no shorts, flip flops etc. This is not being adhered to in any shape or form which is a great shame because the dining room itself is lovely with linen tablecloths, napkins etc and is in no way the cafeteria-type experience of some hotels. Other reviewers have mentioned the fact that the bar is consistently empty .... and I mean empty...every evening. This is a missed opportunity by the hotel and I'm sure it's because the prices are way too high. The price of drinks at the pool bar is also very expensive and I'm sure puts people off using it. We wandered into a few neighbouring hotels and the prices there seemed more reasonable & the bars all busy with a good atmosphere. The food at the pool bar is good and reasonably priced. We like staying at hotels that have a wide variety of nationalities but have to say that we felt slightly overwhelmed by the number of Russian guests this time. We were always able to find sunbeds with an umbrella at any time of day which was great but the beds do need updating and maybe a member of staff could occasionally retrieve the ones people leave on the beach? All of the staff work very hard and we found them all to be very pleasant & helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I spent 7 nights here in early August as part of a package tour. It's a good place to stay with kids - there's a kids pool as well as a regular one.

We went half-board - it makes life much easier. Breakfast was good - you really could fill up for the day. As I have read on other reviews, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fresh juice at breakfast buffets. Dinner was also fine - I would have preferred more Greek food. By far the best of the 'themes' was the Greek one.

The room was pretty standard. With hindsight, I would have paid a bit extra for the sea view. There is some noise at night from the road outside - bikes going past - but nothing to keep you awake all night.

We were told in advance that there is building work going on next door. There is a huge crane, but there was basically no noise at all. Were it not for the crane, you wouldn't have known anything was happening.

The location is too far out to walk to the harbour, unless you're feeling particularly energetic. The bus service is excellent - just one euro each way, or three euros for a one-day ticket. The buses are also frequent, and run until quite late. It's a short trip.

All in all, we were pleased with everything. The wi-fi was a bit dodgy in the room (it's free), but the lounge has a strong signal. It's great for families and there's an empty fridge in the room that you can use, and no charge for the room safe either.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2012 and found it disappointing overall.

I had booked a 'superior' room for 2 adults and 1 child, but on arrival we were shown to an average sized room, which was 'cosy' at best for 3 people. The hotel staff were generally friendly and helpful, although surprisingly there was no information or leaflets available on places of interest or activities in the local area.

Our only attempt at ordering room service also ended in failure and frustration; the menu stated that room service was available until 10pm, but when I rang to place an order at 9.50pm, I was told by a very surly staff member that I was too late as the order needed to be placed by 9.45pm! I pointed that there was no mention of that on the room service menu, but the staff member just talked over me and repeated that I was too late...so we gave up and went and ate out instead.

On the positive side, the hotel's location is quite good as it is close to the beach, shops and restaurants, although the strip of beach owned by the hotel is pretty disappointing in comparison to the very impressive stretch owned by the hotel next door. The pool area is attractive and peaceful, although the sun loungers were without a doubt the oldest and most uncomfortable I have ever sat on.

Overall I would rate this hotel as 3 star, rather than 4 star and will not be planning a return visit there.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our third visit to this hotel and we enjoyed every minute. Good selection of food for breakfast, rooms clean and good A/C. The construction work adjacent to the hotel was not a distraction, the noise levels were minimum though this may change as building work progresses. The hotel is located out of town on the beach but there is a good bus service if you don't want the 30 minute walk into town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I was there with my fam,totaal 7persons all adults,booked for 2 double rooms and 1triple room with 3 beds,but when we got there,the triple room was with 1queensize bed+1 small en tiny extrabed.No solutions at that day,caused a back pain of my adult son.Afterwads,they changed the extra bed to a real bed,finally.The rest of the stay at that hotel were excellent with good food,good facilities,friendly restaurant/house keeping staff,but not so friendly from the front desk's staff..We've got 3rooms all facing to the street,in the evening and in the weekend were pretty noisy cause of the passing speedy cars.
All and all,that are some small negatives,but for the rest,it's a unforgetable stay in Paphos.

• Stayed June 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were extremely disappointed with this hotel. Prior to our stay, we had been contacted by the tour operator, who mentioned major building works taking place at one the side of the hotel. We were reassured that these works would not disturb our holiday, and that we would receive an upgrade to compensate for the disruption. Needless to say that none of this happened. When we arrived at the hotel, the manager in charge denied knowledge of the promised upgrade, despite being showed a letter from the tour operator. We were forced to pay a premium cost to get a room away from the building works and the noisy street nearby. The noise from the building works was very disrupting when staying near the pool, and if you want a relaxing holiday, this hotel is not the place to go. There are plenty of hotels to choose on this road. They look much more modern and with much better facilities, and they are also nearer the town centre. Would I recommend this hotel? Not even to my worst enemy. Give it a miss.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Location is good near restaurants, the bus stops out front. We don't normally stay at giant hotels but we were here for a wedding. It is of average size and we had a nice time overall.

Pros:
- Nice pool area and the beach in front and next door is pretty clean, water is nice to swim in. (They could use to have their staff come out and pick up the beach of bottles and crisp bags once in awhile. I did that and people looked at me like I was insane).
- free wifi in reception
- nice gym
- Good, albeit touristy, restaurants close by
- Beach Towels
- Lots of choices for Breakfast and Dinner (which we had 1 night), quality of food was very good.

Cons:
- Not very welcoming or knowledgeable staff at Reception. All the waiters and waitresses were very nice and working very hard.
- You can only run AC with your key card in the wall and the doors closed, so forget falling asleep to the sound of waves
-The rooms can use some tlc, new paint in places and cracked tiles, and the beds are outstandingly uncomfortable. Ask them for more padding, it was tolerable after that.

Be aware that this place is overrun with Eastern Europeans. I have nothing against a particular culture or people, but you won't be making new friends here as they kept much to themselves. And no one goes to the bar here, too bad.

Also, the situation with the old lawn chairs was exacerbated by the "saving" of them from 7 am. I sat by one by myself for an hour and no one came, so when my boyfriend came down we took one. One hour later a couple came back and they were seriously mad.

Its really too bad there are not too many options between a villa vacation and a giant hotel in Paphos.

Room Tip: We asked for non smoking as I thought we had to, but it may not be necessary. Just ask to see your...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!