“Crown Resorts Horizon, Where Everything is Too Much Trouble.” 2 of 5 stars

Crown Resorts Horizon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coral Bay Avenue | PO Box 62727, Paphos 8068, Cyprus   |
Ranked #64 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Bristol
“Crown Resorts Horizon, Where Everything is Too Much Trouble.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was keen to see what the hotel would be like after reading the reviews on there, since I’ve visited there is a lot I can relate to, none of it positive.

My boyfriend and I booked 10 nights at the hotel, my father, 2 brothers and one girlfriend met us out there during the stay. Needless to say, every single one of us had problems with the staff here.

I’m not sure if it was just the time of year or the hotel’s target audience but we booked 10 nights at this hotel this September and felt like the youngest person there by far… I’m 25. Under any other circumstances, this wouldn’t have been a problem at all! Only, the people staying there looked at us as though we were from another planet. There were very few people there who made the effort to even return the ‘hello’ in the mornings, and we were met with glum faces everywhere. I felt suitably uncomfortable during the stay. It was the strangest thing I had experienced. We got this from other customers and hotel staff.

My boyfriend and I arrived on the Saturday night. I was very impressed up until we were greeted by a male receptionist void of any personality whatsoever. We soon realised that we would have to pay for any facility we wanted to use in the room. The safe cost 20 Euros! You have to pay to get the fridge turned on (which is expected in a lot of places) and we have to pay for tea and coffee facilities in the room. Considering we had paid for 10 nights in an expensive room, half board and they can’t even supply a kettle?!?! Mad!! Our towels were changed everyday (actually the cleaners were very sweet) however they are really torn and scruffy. It wasn’t a huge problem but it’s just another thing you wouldn’t expect from a 4* hotel like this.

The food was actually good, we all enjoyed our meals in the mornings and evenings, lots of variety. I would suggest trying some of the local places though for a change of scenery. The pool is lovely, make sure you get down there early to reserve your sun beds otherwise they’re all gone.

If you pay for half board and want to go out for dinner that night, you can ask reception for a lunch voucher. Be warned: you will only be met with utter confusion and eventually ‘no’, like everything else. You are entitled and meant to get lunch vouchers if you’re not there for dinner, so I don’t know why they are so against their own policy!! On 3 separate occasions my brother was given hassle about this and eventually we just gave up and paid for food we didn’t even eat.

It’s clear to see that this hotel does not cater to the younger couples. Every night is bingo night, met with pretty lame entertainment afterwards. I would recommend visiting the local restaurants and bars. There is an amazing little Italian restaurant at the top of the strip, and just opposite the hotel is an incredible Japanese restaurant where the chefs cook in front of you. Really well worth it for a good night out if you don’t want to drink a lot.

The main thing I learned during the stay is that the staff at this hotel are probably the most unfriendly people I’ve met. We changed their slogan to… Crown Resorts Horizon, Where Everything Is Just Too Much Trouble.

The staff in the restaurant are unfriendly and don’t talk to you at all. I don’t know her name, but she is the head waitress in the buffet/restaurant, she was the worst. At any opportunity she complained to us about being too many for dinner, and they wouldn’t put tables together because we hadn’t told her the day before! What a load of rubbish. On another evening, we had two guests for dinner and the waitress agreed to put the charge to one of our parties’ rooms. When this person checked out, the hotel had forgotten to put the charge to the room. Therefore, this waitress and her boss came to us a few mornings later at breakfast and said ‘he has checked out so you must pay’. Through utter embarrassment and not wanting to have anymore run-ins with the staff, we paid. Had they not thought to contact this person via email and request payment?

My father had spoken to Stavros, the hotel Manager before the holiday and agreed his rates for the three nights. Upon checking out, the same receptionist that met us tried to charge him full rate! When my father explained that he had confirmation from Stavros, the receptionist didn’t believe him. When my dad insisted that he called Stavros, the receptionist wouldn’t hand the phone over and attempted to call security. Eventually and unsurprisingly my father became pretty upset and gave the receptionist what for, and about time too. Thankfully, headquarters (or whoever this guy called!) confirmed that my dad was correct. No apology, nothing.

The staff in the restaurant and the staff who work in reception are not there to help you have fun, they are there to treat you like numbers as opposed to customers. As such, they lack any common sense and any form of customer service. I’ve worked as both a receptionist and a waitress and wouldn’t dream of treating people like this.

The only person that gave us the time of day was Melinda who works in the bar. She is lovely and always said hello and chatted to us. After having stayed here this year, I wouldn’t recommend this hotel and certainly wouldn’t return, simply because of how we were treated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed in many 4* hotels on the island over recent years and feel the hotel is far closer to 3 *

First impressions are key and we did not feel very welcomed or informed upon arrival. The receptionist didnt aknowledge we had asked for 2 adjoining rooms and the second room was in a different wing. They couldnt have been further apart. When this was pointed out the receptionist merely stated the hotel was full. He also failed to give any information regarding hotel facilities ie room safe spa restaraunt location and times.

The rooms were clean but the beds extremely uncomfortable. As for the pillows, they were incredibly thin and horrible to use. No tea/coffee facility.

After a long journey we wanted to relax on the sunbeds but had no chance of finding one vacant at 2pm. This was not down to the lack of space as the hotel grass area is very large but with a few scattered sunbeds. Hence guests have to resort to reserving sunbeds in the early morning with a towel. The sunbeds and umbrellas are old and need replacement

Food was ok aside from the desert and fruit which was very limited in choice.

Spa area was good as were the entertainment staff.

Poor impression on leaving as receptionist didnt ask anything about our stay. Hence as a family we feel there is much room for improvement before it can be compared to many other 4* star hotels on the island.

dumfries
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Have just returned from a weeks holiday ta this hotel, after a dreadful flight out. A very friendly hotel with lovely food , we had a nice big room very clean and beds were very comfortable too. Staff spoke fluent english and were very very friendly and always smiling, Went on the trip to Nicosia which was very good and interesting. Weather was great and loved the swim up bar in pool everyone who was there were also very friendly. Would def reccommend this hotel for a great relaxing holiday.

Pontefract, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We came from the 22nd - 29th September, We travelled as two adults and one teenager (14) The room (145) we got given was overlooking the bins,Meaning the smell was not nice and if you looked down from the balcony it wasn't the nicest view. The room itself was very small for three adults, So it would of been better to get two rooms, We were told they fitted 3 adults but that clearly wasn't the case. The staff were helpful, And the bar staff were very friendly. Overall the people in Cyprus all seem very nice.
Entertainment.
The Hotel entertainment was great! It was led by two girls who were lovely, Really good with children and easy to talk to. They had daytime activities such as water polo, Volley ball, archery ect.. But we didn't participate as it was just too hot for us to do sports in. Night time entertainment was great, Each night started with a game of bingo. Afterwards shows such as Greek dancing were held, And guests happily joined in. So overall the entertainment I couldnt fault.
Food.
Again I couldn't fault the food, I actually miss it! It was nice going to the restaurant and having such a choice of food already cooked for you, Every day had different food and always something you liked.Breakfast was nice with again a wide variety of foods and tasted great. Snacks at the hotel bar were served half an hour after the restaurant had closed, The pool bar snacks were also enjoyable.
Location.
The hotel was situated in a perfect spot the bus stop outside, 3 euros for a day ticket or 1 euro each way to Paphos itself. The strip the hotel is on is full of restaurants and gift shops, market shops ect...Not so much bars which was okay for us as were weren't looking for the night time scene. The beach was about a 10 minute walk down the road it was lovely and clean and easy to get to.

We came half board and upgraded to all Inclusive when we spent a night in the hotel bar and spent 80 euros on four alcoholic drinks and two soft drinks! Its worth upgrading and I recommend that. Even though its September the weather is still so hot, It was hard to walk in. I hate to think what its like during the high season so take the weather into account if you take children, A lot of children we saw were very irritated by the hear. From other reviews I heard problems with the beds, I agree they were hard but we slept fine. I guess it depends on how you sleep. Your holiday is what you make it and if you want to complain your not going to make the most of it, So we enjoyed our holiday and would go again to Cyprus.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view, The odd numbered rooms are at the back of the hotel overlooking not so nice view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I've just returned to Australia from my best friends wedding nearby and I do not have a bad word to say about the place. It's good value, clean and affordable.

The staff were friendly open and treated us well (group of 30+). The hotel itself is a little dated but nothing to worry about and the all inclusive package cannot be critics used. Room was fine, spa and pool was superb.

Local street is worth a look too.

Don't be pretentious and give it a try

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on an all inclusive basis for 7 nights. My room was located on the first floor, room 159, and I paid extra for a side sea view. The view was lovely. The rooms are a little dated, not what I expected for a 4 star but it was clean. The safe is expensive, it cost €2.56 a day. The hotel itself is also a little dated. The pool area was nice although you had to get down there early for a sunbed! I couldn't fault the food. There was always lots to choose from. I was here for a wedding so I used Spa Tonic hairdressing salon and they put my hair up beautifully using fresh flowers. The location of the hotel is at the top of the Coral Bay strip and there's a bus stop outside the hotel which takes you into the centre of Paphos. It costs €3 for a day ticket and they run every 10-15 minutes. It's worth doing.

Totnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Totally agree with the ‘good’ reviews below. We travelled as 2 couples staying for 2 weeks from 2nd September all inclusive. After reading some of the reviews before we left we were most concerned about staying at The Crown, but really had no need to be worried at all. Our rooms were absolutely fine, although they could do with being updated and the showers did go hot and cold now and again. We would have liked tea/coffee facilities in the room but we did take our own kettle as we were aware of that beforehand. The food at breakfast, lunch and evening meal was very good and there was always something to tempt you with. Drinks on the whole were very good, but it did depend on who served you as to the strength of them! We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, especially the restaurant staff, who very often found time to stop and chat. If we had any complaints it would be that the sunbeds need replacing. If booking any trips don’t book through the travel rep, it’s much cheaper to book independently either in Coral Bay or Paphos. All in all we had a lovely time and going by the bad reviews we must have stayed at a different hotel to them! If you have already booked don’t be put off by the negative reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Resorts Horizon? Share your experiences!