“Good be great but lack of sun beds lets you down....” 3 of 5 stars

Aqua Sol Holiday Village
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   15 Ascos Street, Coral Bay, Paphos 8106, Cyprus   |
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good be great but lack of sun beds lets you down....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Aqua Sol hotel
Having only just arrived back home from a week in Cyprus I can now put into words my thoughts on my stay here. Though it should be noted that my fiancées views differ greatly from mine.

When your rep tells you, you will have to get up at 6am if you want a sun bed –
When you have to ask to move room almost as soon as you have arrived because of ridiculously loud ‘entertainment’ –
When dressing for dinner means putting on a good pair of walking shoes because you will be stood in queue for up to 30minutes
Then my friends you know this isn’t going to be quite the holiday you thought you had booked.......
The hotel is clean and tidy, reception was ok and first impressions where favourable but after only one night we had to ask to move, Alex the ‘entertainer’ is almost as loud as his ego is big.... the hotel accommodation manageress was very good but overstretched. She did move us to another room which in hindsight someone else had properly asked to be moved from as it was next to the kitchens.
The sun bed issue is a major source of annoyance. Why the hotel ruins its reputation for the sake of a few hundred quid’s worth of plastic sun beds is beyond me, I had to get up at 6am to make sure the four of us could actually lie down in the sun. Not great in a 4star hotel.
Another source of great irritant is the constant music, I’m sure lots of people like Boney M but do we all have to have it blasting over the pool at 8am?
Which leads me to Alex..... lots I’m sure will think he is very funny however I booked this holiday to relax not to be shouted at. And while the entertainment follows a set routine of kiddie disco (same 5 or 6 songs over and over again) followed by bingo followed by very very loud music might appeal to some, to me it became very irritating. (I am aware I may be suffering from grumpy old man syndrome but even when he was asked to turn it down, he didn’t...I like to go to sleep when I want to, not when the entertainer has had enough singing bad karaoke)
Food is of very high quality but as I have mentioned, to have it all in one long line is just asking for trouble. People were queuing out of the restaurant and into the bar area almost every night so if you are going to stay here. Top tip eat very early or very late or else get some comfy shoes.
The staff are all excellent and work exceptionally hard, the two girls in the poolside bar work flat out and told me that they hadn’t had a day for 4 weeks straight... no wonder they looked tired.
So to sum up good clean hotel, excellent food, decent staff bar one but I may be biased, good holiday ruined by lack of sun beds and badly thought out self service catering arrangements.
One final tip, if you go on the relaxing cruise, sit upstairs in the shade of the wheel house. Yes the sun beds look very inviting but it’s very very hot once you’re out at sea and you will need the shade. Oh and I hope you like music, because far from being relaxing, music is played all the pigging time !!!
Not the relaxing holiday I thought I was getting but if you have young kids, don’t like to lie down and love Boney M then you will love it....

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and entertainment area at all cost.. try to get a room as far away as you can...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I was in Aqua sol on July and i have to say that it was the best holidays i ever had with my famely!! The food was great and service was on pretty high level!! The BAR STAFF was Lovely, the coctails was just smashing. Entertainment was realy fun, Alex his staff did them best!!!!!!! I wnat to thanks Michael (The Bar Manager) and the ALL AQUA SOL STAFF for making my holidays unforgettable, i will definitely come back next year!!!
SEEE YOOOOU ALL next year !!!!! )))))))
Thanks alot )))))

Room Tip: not far from the pool. second floor is better
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

just read some of the latest reviews and cannot believe there talking about the same hotel, i stayed from the 10th july with my two teenage daughters, the food was excellent with a really good choice and themed nights ie chinese, roast dinner, the only thing was breakfast which there was not much choice but use the pool bar which opens at 10 am. plenty of sunbeds didnt matter what time you came the pool you could get one, the waterpark was excellent having spent most of the week in there, it did get a bit packed at the weekend with cypriots staying there and i have to say are the rudest people i have come across, the entertainment team were great racheal, alex and katyia, always made an effort to get everybody involved, the bar staff were lovely never had to wait for a drink, the rooms are a bit dated but big and spotlessley clean, i would definatley go back next year ,and just to say to the person who,s comment about northerners being uneducated loud and chavy your talking through your a... obviously someone who should have gone on a remote holiday

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here in August 2011. On arrival around midnight we were told there was a problem with the apartments. The problem turned out to be a power cut! We were simply handed the keys to our apartment and given brief directions. Needless to say the start of our holiday was a nightmare!! We were left to find our apartment in complete darkness using our mobile phones as tourches! My 4 year old was extremerly frightened.

When we eventually managed to find the appartment It was like walking into a oven! I understand these things can happen but it would have been nice for a member of staff to have taken us to the appartment or even our tour operator rep. The first night was pretty poor.

The room was a little dated but was very clean. The appartment was cleaned regulary and to a excellent standard. We did report Ants and were given an ant killer spray.

Our Sea View was NO seaview it was totally hiden by over grown trees. We experienced problems with the air condition units not working and our front door would not close, but when we reported them they were fixed immediatley.

The pools were fantastic kids loved them especially the water park but be warned the sunbeds are reserved first thing 6am or the night before. To get a guarnteed sunbed in the water park which opens at 10am you have to que before opening. On the thrid day we did not even bother queing and avoided the hussles and tussles to get a sunbed, this was a very hot subject for discussion with other guests, from what we experienced people can get a bit angry about a sun bed. However, I would have thought that the hotel would have had enough sun beds to accomodate the number of guests staying at their hotel.

The beach is terrible with huge rocks and stones pretty dangerous to get in and out of the sea. We didnt see many people in this area of the resort.

Coral Bay beach Is not much better with cigerette ends all over the sand it was quite dirty really. They will charge you 7 euros for a sun bed. But there was plenty to do their, bannana boats, para-sailing jet ski's and so on.

The bus service was every 10-15minutes and costs only 1 euro to most places for an adult and children go free but you will be refused boarding if you have sand on you or your shoes.....as we learned!

The Hill (so called cardiac hill) people talk about is not as bad as made out. Saying that the driver of the bus for the return transfer refused to drive down it so we had to cart all of our luggage up it, maybe thats what people are reffering to.

All areas are kept extreamerly clean. The food was not the greatest pretty bland, have to que for 20 minutes or so to use the sinlge toaster at breakfast, Staff were friendly and approachable apart from a few serving drinks at the pool bar who seemed to get a little snappy at times.

Entertainment was the same everynight. The kids mini disco is repeated everynight and is the same songs & dances. However by the end of our week our kids knew the dances and songs!!! Followed by Bingo...good times!!

Would recommend the days pirate ship cruise, good fun for the kids, treasure hunt, walking the plank and dancing. The food onboard was good and the drinks were cheap. Although the advert says kids go free some how we had to pay, no explanation given. Appoximately 80 euros for 2 adults and 2 kids.

On our last day we had to check out at 12pm and as our flight wasn't till midnight we had to leave our bags in Reception and shower in the gym, down stairs, towels were supplied just keep your wash kit and travelling home clothing packed seperatley.

The shop on site sells most things but is very expensive. The rubber rings and air beds are almost double the price of the small markets up on the main street.

After all said and done our kids did love it but we felt the overall holiday was a bit over priced just because of the water park.

Room Tip: Dont pay for a sea viewing appartment, try and get into block 15 or 13 to ensure a quiet nights slee...
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed with my mother and son from 1st -8th August 2011. We arrived at 2.30am and we really pleased to see bottled water, sandwiches and fruit in the fridge, this was a really nice touch. The next morning we were up ready for breakfast (which was tepid at best) and then went to have look at the facilities where we encountered a good natured bunch a Brits queueing for the water park which opened at 10am (it was 9.30am!) We joined the queue and were then astonished to see Cypriot children stroll to the front and then enter in front of all of us "queuers". Us Brits resembled the schools out advert as we scrambled across the bridge screaching for our children to run to secure beds for the day. There had been no opportunity to get a bed around the pool apparently these were bagged early hours!!

This then formed the basis of the remaining 6 days, a military precision manouvre each morning allowing time for breakfast and then a cup of take away tea whilst we queued.

The staff in the pool were disinterested at best "the rules are for you not me" was one comment made to my son as he was banned for an hour again. I am not complaining if he did something wrong and maintain he should have learnt after day one, however I witnessed one child come down the slide and smack his head off the end of the slide, the pool attendants were far too busy chatting to even notice luckily other adults were on hand to soothe his tears and ensure he came to no futher harm.

The food was the worst all inclusive food I have experienced. Broccoli for breakfast anyone? The cooked breakfast was always cold, and dinner just strange with mash, chips and roast potatoes taking up 3 of the 8 trays available for dinner. Some staff continually tried to clean the serving area whilst you were trying to get to the food. Drinks were served during dinner however this depended on whether you had been seen entering and was very hit and miss. Bar snacks at the pool bar were cooked to order and the best food we had during the holiday.

The evening entertainment was very heath robinson, out of 7 nights outside entertainers came in three times, a group of dancing ladies, a set of Cypriot dancers and a casino night. The rest was provided by in house entertainers which felt a bit desperate demanding that you clap louder, stand if you enjoyed the evening and so on. The kids disco was great if a little repetitive, the entertainers did have a bit of an 18-30 feel chucking people in the pool late at night trampling small children under foot. Probably entertaining if you were into that sort of thing. The youngest and most inexperienced entertainer really felt a bit too much, demanding that you get up and join in with the children going so far as to grab your wrist and drag you out of your seat. We resorted to playing cards, lighting cigarettes anything to prevent eye contact!

Rooms were a good size, clean and airconditioned serviced 5/7 days.

This is an honest account - we enjoyed it (believe it or not!) but would not return until the rest of the facilities have caught up with the fantastic water park.

then just enter the park

Room Tip: Try to negotiate on the late departure fee 60Euros is really too much.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Firstly arrived at midnight, coach parked up, we had to walk down a STEEP hill with luggage and children, walked into a dated but clean lobby. Booking in we were told that we had one of the NICER rooms on the front! When we walked in room 2501 we were greeted by a terrible smell of DAMP had a view of metal stairs to water park slides with a bed 2 inches off the floor for my 13 year old to sleep on. Next morning went down for breakfast which meant having to queue, queue queue for a very small selection of food. Every meal we had we had to queue apart from the Pizza and pasta night on a Thursday which had to be reserved. Quality of food was good but not very warm. After speaking to Nick the rep we asked to be moved, moved to a room above reception apparently 40euros per night per person extra of which we didn't have to pay. Room was better but not brilliant. Second night in our new room after returning at midnight we had a leak in bathroom, NO WATER AND TOILET with a terrible smell of sewage. When my husband rang reception they told us to turn the light off, to stop fan working and SHUT the DOOR. As you can imagine with two children this wasn't ideal!!!
Secondly after speaking to many English there they too had same feelings as us, as it was impossible to get a sunbed unless up at 4am (which I might add was recommended to a man by the rep) who on earth would want to get up at 4am on holiday?????? Then came the big queue for the water park! which started at 8am opened at 10am! After queuing the Greek Cypriot children then came to front as instructed by their parents who used to turn about 9:55am. Once the gate was opened it was like a SUPERMARKET SWEEP were you had to actually run to get a bed. I have never seen or experienced anything like it in my life.(some Greek Cypriots got quite aggressive I must say! ) Many people approached the management who said he would sort it but never did.
Third and final note
Checking out at 12am when you didn’t get picked up till 9pm was a problem as soon as i arrived I asked about extending or booking a room for the last day only to be told please don’t worry we have a room. They DIDN’t have a room they had male and female changing rooms by the GYM ( which was 4 machines basically) 2 showers in a VERY hot room with 6-8 women plus children, all at the same time trying to wash and change for return flight.
I must say that the staff at this hotel work very hard, it must be very deflating when so many people complain. I feel that this hotel has a LONG way to go, to honestly say it is a 4 star and need Thomas Cook management to re think rating.

Room Tip: Ask to see other rooms available
Maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed at this hotel from the 2nd - 16th August with my husband, 3 children and my elderly parents. We had a fantastic 2 weeks here from the moment we set foot into the hotel. The staff are lovely, so friendly, especially Elena the Reservations Manager, nothing is too much trouble. They made sure we had a ground floor room near to everything as my mother cant walk up and downstairs very easily. Rooms are lovely and spacious, and looked as though they had just been refurbished as everything was clean and tidy, our rooms opened right out onto one of the pool areas which was excellent. The pool bar opened at 10am and you could get all the AI drinks here and coffee and tea also, the food was excellent especially the Pork Gyros and toasted sandwiches. You could also get lunch at the main restaurant which had salads and various dishes each day. The pools and the waterpark are just amazing too, we didnt see our 3 children for 2 weeks they had such a great time and made lots of friends which they spent all their time with, so we had a lovely rest just laying in the sun or going round the lazy river in the waterpark. There are also some watersports on the beach near to the hotel. The strip is only a 10 minute walk, albeit up a steepish hill but if you take it slowly its fine. Entertainment was good, Alex and Rachel make a great team, Alex is hilarious and always trying to make you laugh. All in all we had an amazing holiday, lovely place, lovely people and I would recommend this hotel to familys cos if the kids are happy we're all happy! Would most definately go back. Please contact me if you require any further information.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Aqua Sol Holiday Village? Share your experiences!