“venus beach more like 3star !” 3 of 5 stars

Venus Beach Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 62309, Paphos 08063, Cyprus   |
Ranked #72 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
bournemouth
“venus beach more like 3star !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My family and I stayed at this hotel JULY 2009. Although they try we have been to many 5 star hotels abroad and I would have to say this was one of the poorer ones ! The lobby was grand the rooms basic , but clean, and the pool was small. Apparently it had a private beach, but in reality it was just a little bit of sand next to the sea which was pretty rough. Room service was good, but the cypriots in our opinion were better looked after. Some drinks, snacks were expensive and lots of things were not included in the AI .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Venus Beach after booking it with 17 hours notice! I quickly read the reviews on here but thought the best way was to see for ourselves. Upon arriving at the hotel we were quite impressed, it was not the most modern of hotels but very clean and well presented. Our room was lovely with a huge wardrobe, comfy beds (though it was a twin room so beds were pushed together, a bit awkward!) and a nice clean bathroom with decent shower (which is all I ask!). The floor was carpeted which we always find strange, but on glimpsing other rooms some had laminate floor. We had a good view of the Tombs of the Kings, and decent air-con.
We soon learned the hotel was only at 5% capacity, which we could tell as the pool area and mealtimes were really quiet. We think this may have contributed to how smoothly our stay went, we had no problems with anything such as service, cleanliness, maintenance etc, but obviously things may be different in busier times. The weekend got a lot busier with local Cypriots, we assume they must get cheap weekend deals, and this is when it became an issue to get a sunbed etc, but the pool boy was always quick to get spare beds and umbrellas out, so it was not really a problem, nor at mealtimes as the Cypriots did not seem to eat at the hotel – perhaps they knew local tavernas etc.
The pool was the cleanest I have ever seen, the pool itself was very warm and mostly quite deep. One day we lay nearer the beach which was slightly cooler. We went for a dip in the sea which was much cooler and very choppy, but good fun.
The food is the best we have had within 4 holidays together, though as we were half board we were not tied to eating in every night. There was not a great deal of choice but we found this a good thing, as it seemed to mean higher quality of what was on offer, less wastage for the hotel and less pigging out for us! Every night there was a choice of salads, a rice or pasta dish, several (very decent) meat dishes and some sort of potato. The desserts were gorgeous, good quality cheesecakes and gateux and simple but delicious ice creams, as well as cheese and biscuits. Each night was a different theme and on Sunday it was Carvery Night, which was absolutely gorgeous and as good as any roast dinner at home!!! We are both extremely fussy, especially with food, but were very impressed with the hotel overall.
The hotel is based on a long road from which buses run to and from Coral Bay, the harbor and the local market. Several bars and tavernas line this street, we frequented Karlina’s which was very popular with ex-pat’s and holds a fun quiz every Thursday. The owner Harry gave us a lift home one night, and we also visited his brother Jimmy’s bar, the Green Corner who do 2-for-1 cocktails 8-10pm, nearer the harbor. We were told the hotel was a 20minute walk from the harbor, upon doing so it was actually about 45mins and very exhausting in the heat. A cab home was 9 Euro, or the buses run every 20mins or so for 1.5 Euro each. The harbor is beautiful, very clean and modern, and we did not get hassled to go into a shop or restaurant once. We ate at Chloes, an amazing Chinese restaurant on the harbor with absolutely stunning décor and furnishings. A 4 course meal and 2 bottles of wine cost 90 Euro, though dessert was on the house as we had told the manager about our hike to get there!... especially as there is a Chloe’s right opposite the hotel which is apparently just as good!
All the Cypriots we encountered were very well-spoken in English and extremely friendly and welcoming. Their lifestyle seemed very English, all street/shop etc signs are in English – this made everything very easy but by the same token was not too English!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Hello readers,let me just state before you read my review, I've lived in Cyprus for a year.In that time i've stayed at the Damon Hotel Paphos 3*,the Forest Park Hill hotel Platres 4*,the St Raphael Limassol 5* ,the Lordos Beach Hotel Larnaca 5* and now the Venus Beach Hotel Paphos 5*.In my opinion the Venus Beach is definately a 3-4* Cypriot standard * rating hotel,I give it the 4 for the service from the bar staff we received and the friendly hello from a cleaning lady,believe me that is uncommon here! I'll break down my stay so you can gleam as much information as possible from my review.
I booked an all inclusive package for 1 night for 4th July 2009 in a double superior sea view roon. On arrival the hotel lobby very plush and reception grand.Once you've checked in and made your way to your room you start seeing the shabbyness of the maintanence in the hotel,things like paint marks on doors,doors not fitting their entrances properly,marks on walls,chipped skirting boards and the like.
We opened the door to our room and noticed hair on the cheap wooden floor and dead cockroaches x2 on the floor.The room key doubles up as the 'go' code for electric and air con in the room,it didn't fit the hole in the wall well but with some jiggling we got it working.The air con wasn;t very cooling and as soon as you opened your patio doors to the balcony it switched off,which worked out well as that cooled the room better! The bed was large but with only 3 pillows between 2 people.The bathroom fittings were very cheap,someone previously mentioned the toilet seats flimsyness,well i'd have to agree! The shower worked well but it's mixer fitting to the wall loose and hanging out of the wall.The complimentary toiletries were 2x soap and 2x shampoo minatures.The towels were well worn but did work sufficiently.The complimentary bathrobes and slippers wouldn't fit any man over 12 stone or over 5ft tall.The tv choice for brits was Euronews and Sky News,although mine wasn't tuned it.The complimentary small bottles of wine and bits of fruit were nice touches.The furniture was dated and chipped with paint marks on them.
The fitness centre was shut for our stay so I cannot comment on the indoor pool but the outdoor pool was okay,needed cleaning but large enough to splash about in and 1.8m at the deep end.The umbrellas and loungers were good as was the towel service.Toilets were inside but there was a poolside bar where you could get snacks and drinks.
All inclusive meant we could have locally produced alcoholic,non-alcoholic and hot/cold beverages from 10am-11.30pm at the pool bar or one of the nominated bars inside. Foodwise we were given timings of 0700-1000 breakfast,1230-1430 lunch and 1900-2200 supper.All meals were plentiful and the choice standard,quality good.One thing I would say is because you cannot check in until 1400 at the earliest you'd be rushed to make lunch due to the reception making you a photocard all inclusive ID card,and because you check out at 1200 you miss it the next day too!
Our overall impressions of this hotel are;I wouldn't stay there again for the money paid but it was a standard Cypriot experience! Complain about things,there really is no point, you don't get listened to and there's always more tourists around the corner! Advice, don't expect the same star standards as the UK and you'll be fine, Cyprus has lovely food, culture and places to visit if you aint in the touristy areas, if you are then you won't get the traditional cypriot experience but a watered down version of what the cypriots can get away with selling you!
We would never return to the Venus Beach purely because we know we've had a better experience at similar priced hotels so that's where we'll go. If you think 5* lobby and 3* rooms then you'll be fine with whatever you're lumbered with.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

i went with my fiance for 10 days and it was wonderful - not quite in the main part of paphos but it had its own little strip of restraunts and shops right opposite the hotel which were lovely. the entrance of the hotel it amazing, the rooms arent the same standard but ours was still spacious and very clean. we had a lovely view of the sea and the tombs of the kings. We had sooo much choice for breakfast and endless pots of coffee - the staff were so nice and friendly especially this one crazy barmaid i cant remember her name but she was ace. the pool area was really nice aswell - but please please please take this bit seriously ... IF You go in the sea at the hotel beach - do not go in deep and DO NOT let your kids further in than paddling depth - i honestly thought i was going to get swept out and my partner, we had a swim in the sea every day but one day the current was so strong if just carried us to the right, no matter how hard we swam we coudnt get back to the beach - i was 7 weeks pregnant - and couldnt brreath, i was panicking - swimming as hard as i could - and waves were crashing on my head, i honestly thought something really bad was gonna happen to me, i saw my partner swim for the rocks and waved me over so when i finally got to the rocks which were like broken glass sharp! i had to try and climb up with waves still crashing on me - it was probobly the most scary thing thats ever happened to me, and whats more worrying there was no one else on the beach so no one would have known. im not exaggerating and im not a drama queen but please take peoples advice and dont go in deep.
Anyway... there is also a bus stop on both sides of the road right outside which is so handy because it basically takes you anywhere for 80cents i think it was.
I would also recommend doing the trudos mountains excursion, a full or half day cruise, and a trip to coral bay. - plus loads of sightseeing.
i love cyprus and me and fiance are going back in september getting married! but at a different hotel only coz its a bit posher for the wedding lol

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Shefford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We have just returned from 2 nights in the Venus Beach, we decided to have 2 nights all inclusive in a 5 star hotel. Unfortunately the hotel is not quite 5 star in our opinion. When you approach from the road the hotel doesn't look much, then you get into the foyer and things brighten up abit, as the interior is quite nice (possibly 4 star'ish).
Check-in was quite quick and then we went upto the room, which was nice but not 5 star. Reminded us of a nice Travelodge room in the UK. After seeing the room we headed to the pool, which I must admit is lovely and has a nice view of the sea with plenty of beds round the pool and on the grassed area leading to the small beach area.

The staff were alittle hit and miss, the reception staff were very friendly and so were the girls behind the pool bar. But the bar staff in the evening bar were alittle "blunt" and didn't seem like they really wanted to be there.

Breakfast had quite abit of choice but was nothing special. Lunch was probably the worst lunch I have ever had in a hotel. You got to choose your lunch from a menu, the starter was lovely but the main was terrible and they had used very cheap produce (not what you expect from a five star establishment). The evening consisted of a buffet which was nice but alittle limited compared to other 4/5 star hotels we have stayed in.

All in all the hotel isn't bad, probably more of a 3 star with the pool and interior making it a 4 star at a push. But the meals weren't the best and some of the staff were hardwork. For the money people were paying to stay there, I would definately head for a more luxurious hotel in the area. The Venus beach is quite a distance from the centre of paphos and the bars/restaurants on the main road outside don't look the best (plus there is no pavement ha).

If you get a cheap deal then the hotel isn't bad but if your looking for 5 star luxury then head elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

we visited this hotel for 4 nights we wished we had not have bothered - we visited our family who were staying in the Kissos 3* and this was cleaner and overall a friendlier hotel.
This hotel was picked as it was adv as a 5* it did not come any where near this and needs to be reviewed by the industry. the coffee shop beauty salon and pool bar were all closed during our late May visit the staff found it difficult to muster a smile between them !. The rooms were basic and in urgent need of an update we also visited the Elysium 5* hotel this was the same price as we had paid for our hotel - pure luxury with beautiful surroundings and friendly staff -- dont bother with Venus Beach !!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Torquay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

We arrived at the Venus Beach Hotel on UK Easter Monday, 13 April 2009, for a three weeks, half board holiday arranged through Mercury Direct.

Our Expectations of the Venus Beach Hotel: Having read numerous TripAdvisor and Holidays Uncovered customer reviews we were well aware that many contributors had concluded that the Venus Beach Hotel did not deserve its official 5-Star rating. The very reasonable price we paid for the holiday (compared with the cost of other 4- and 5-Star hotels that were bookable through Mercury Direct) lead us to wonder whether there was no smoke without fire but, trusting souls that we are, we signed up for the holiday in the hope that it would be OK.

A Quick Tour of the Hotel: The outside is nothing too special to look at, however when we entered the Reception Lobby, we were well impressed! The Reception area inside the building itself looked very swish and smart indeed, however the sofas and armchairs dotted around the reception area have obviously been around a while. Check-in was efficient and problem free. It did include the requirement, however, to make provision in advance for €200 to be made potentially available to the hotel on my credit card. The reason for this, it was succinctly explained to me, was to be “set against any damages or failure to pay…..” Charming! I was actually aware of this requirement, having seen reference to it in several, but not all, customer reviews, and I had asked Mercury Direct to ascertain the hotel’s policy beforehand. In fact, I had been advised that the amount to be blocked would be €400, not €200. I admit it did rankle with me a bit, but the local Mercury Direct representative later advised me that it is becoming increasingly common in Cyprus – for the reasons bluntly stated. We hired the in-room safe at a cost of €30.75 for the three weeks – we thought that was a fair rate. All of the bar areas and restaurants were also very smart with decent, comfortable furniture. The carpets in the corridors of the hotel are badly stained. The gym and fitness hall are well equipped, but seemed to be little used. The indoor pool is tiny, and again, used infrequently, but in April and May that is perhaps to be expected. The outdoor pool is lovely; unheated but warm enough by mid-April. The climate does encourage flies, however. What attracted them wasn’t obvious, but copious insect repellent and a good old-fashioned fly swat would certainly come in handy. Don’t leave home without them….. Unoccupied sun loungers, mattresses and parasols were seemingly always available, free of charge, and pool towels were also provided. There was a notice in the bedroom explaining that guests would incur a large financial penalty if pool towels were not returned, but this scheme was in abeyance. In short, pool towels were provided free of charge at poolside. As well as flies, ants could also be a nuisance; not just the common or garden teeny little squitty ones, but the 1cm or more long soldier ants; these definitely merit respect ..…

Our Bedroom: With check-in completed we were shown to our room – a Side Sea View room on the fourth floor, overlooking the Tombs of the Kings. We were happy with the view, but as for the room ….. Hmmmmm! A card in the room announced: “We are happy to welcome you to our Hotel. Rest assured everything possible will be done to make your stay with us an unforgettable one.” I took the word unforgettable to be a positive aspiration on the hotel management’s part. I was aware that the Venus Beach Hotel had been closed throughout January and February 2009 for refurbishment, and with a cursory glance it certainly looked as though our room had been given a makeover. Three of the four walls looked as though they had recently received a coat of paint, which superficially looked fine. With closer inspection it was patently apparent that no attempt had been made to clear the area of fixtures and fittings first, before paint was thrown at the problem; hence the mirror, light fittings, desk, chair, curtains, carpet and the incredibly elderly TV were all daubed or spattered with paint. Where originally all the bedrooms had been carpeted, we understand the intention is to eventually replace all the carpets with laminate flooring. Those that had been laminated looked pretty good, but our room was still carpeted. We don’t think it was vacuumed thoroughly (if at all) in the three weeks we spent in the room, as debris we spotted when we moved in was still there on the day we left. The furniture in the room was very 1970s, and very grubby. There were two, single divan beds, pushed together. One mattress was fine, the other completely unavoidably ‘musical’ at the slightest movement. Soft furnishings were long past their best. The room itself – which was certainly smaller than we had imagined it would be – opened via a sliding patio door onto a balcony measuring just 1.8 metres by 1.2 metres! Could this be the smallest balcony on any 5-Star hotel? Probably…..

The Bedroom Air-conditioning: As is the norm these days, the bedroom power supply is cut off unless the key fob provided is placed in a slot in the wall. Thus when the room is unoccupied the power is off, as the allowance is one key fob per room. Cyprus in April is humid and pretty hot. When we first arrived the combined heating/cooling control showed the temperature to be off the scale high, meaning it was in excess of 30 degrees Celsius. The room felt like a sweatbox. I tried to power up the room air-conditioning. Nothing happened. No fan, no cooling, nothing. So off I trotted to Reception to inform them that the in-room air conditioning was not working. “Quite correct” I was cheerfully told, “It is not switched on until May!” Was this an appropriate policy for a 5-Star hotel, I thought? What happened to: Rest assured everything possible will be done to make your stay with us an unforgettable one? The duff fan was still an issue, however, and a technician was quickly dispatched to investigate the problem. Perched precariously atop a step ladder, he hauled himself into the void above the ceiling level and worked his magic – eventually the fan clattered noisily into life. Credit where it is due, a noisy fan moving 30°C room temperature air around is better, psychologically if nothing else, than the same fan switched off.

We endured eighteen sleep-deprived humid nights in the sweatbox, during which at no time overnight did we observe the room temperature to drop lower than 25°C. Indeed almost always the room temperature, as measured at the control box, was off the scale high, and hence in excess of 30°C. At least we had three nights of comparative bliss to look forward to on 1-4 May at the very end of our holiday because there in unambiguous print, behind the bedroom door was the statement on the certificate signed by Agamemnos Sophocleous, the General Manager of Venus Beach Hotel, which read: “The provision of air-conditioning in Hotels classified as 3-, 4-, and 5-Star is compulsory from May to the end of October, on a 24-hour basis and the relevant surcharge is included in the room rate.” That was good; we had already paid for this facility, and we were grateful to see the word ‘compulsory’. No ifs or buts – compulsory.

May Day (1 May 2009) duly arrived, and we prepared to enjoy meaningful air-conditioning in the bedroom for the very first time. By 8am, however, I sensed that nothing had changed, so I pottered down to reception and asked whether the in-room air-conditioning had been activated. Answer: “No.” Question: “Will it be?” Answer: “Probably.” Back from the swimming pool at 4pm I went to the Front Desk and checked again. Answer - Inconclusive. By 6.30pm there was no doubt that nothing had changed; but now staff members were ganging up – they would have me believe that as the forecast was for cooler weather, air-conditioning was not necessary. I maintained that this was irrelevant – provision of in-room air-conditioning from 1 May was compulsory; no less a person than Agamemnos Sophocleous had said so! My protests fell on stony ground and were swept away – I was told that as a Mercury Direct client I should complain through Mercury Direct’s representative. Hogwash! I was the aggrieved customer; it had nothing to do with Mercury Direct. My wife and I had already endured eighteen nights of purgatory thanks to the hotel’s draconian and unwavering policy. I had drawn the hotel management’s attention to a compulsory obligation on their part, and had simply asked that it be implemented. It was crystal clear, however, that it was simply going to be ignored. As an aside, it is my understanding that the hotel’s cooling/heating systems make this directive difficult to implement, because while the nights are hot and humid for some, at the beginning of May the nights are sometimes, amazingly, too cool for others. That is as maybe; the problem is that I didn’t make the ruling. Both my wife and I slotted into the ‘too hot, dripping with sweat’ category; and we just wanted the hotel management to carry out its compulsory obligation, and provide the service for which we had already been surcharged. But it wouldn’t, and didn’t…..

Our Bathroom: On seeing the bathroom for the first time it immediately dawned on us that there could be no conceivable justification for Venus Beach Hotel to merit a 5-Star rating if they allocated guest rooms with bathrooms of such an unbelievably awful standard as ours. The very poor tiling was complemented with stained or missing grouting, especially around the bath itself. It appeared that the washbasin, toilet and bidet (but not the bath) may have been replaced, but these fittings looked the cheapest of the cheap. The toilet seat must surely be the flimsiest on Planet Earth, and these seats are universally fitted throughout the hotel. Our bidet was secured only by its wastepipe, and was otherwise able to be moved freely around the floor! At the end of the bath was a jagged tile with a dangerously sharp edge where no attempt had been made to finish it off with sealant or grouting. The door, faced both sides with hardboard, which has been water damaged at its base is a throwback to the DIY revolution of the 1960s. This is a travesty of a bathroom supposedly belonging to a 5-Star hotel. Then there are the towels and the toiletries. Notwithstanding the inevitable notice inviting guests to use towels more than once in order to save the planet (a euphemism for ‘boost the hotel’s profits’) the towels routinely supplied were without doubt the worst quality of any towels I have ever seen in any licensed hotel anywhere. Forget plush, fluffy and luxuriant, the Venus Beach Hotel’s towels were often grey, frayed, ragged, holed, and desperately thin; in short they were an utter disgrace. My wife’s comment was apposite – “I wouldn’t even dry a dog or wash the car with these.” When we were fortunate enough to be given a towel which approached the minimum standard we expected we hung onto it for days, rather than take a chance on the rag that might just replace it.

Toiletries: My wife was especially looking forward to receiving high quality toiletries; but this was another unfulfilled dream. One 30ml bath gel and one 30ml shampoo to be shared between two people; 3 small soaps; one shower cap; one shoe cleaning sponge that seemed totally ineffectual; one ‘vanity set’ containing four cotton buds, one 6cm emery board and three 6cm diameter eye wipes was as good as it got; and the restocking policy seemed somewhat miserly too. Is there any wonder why just about every reviewer comments on the undeserved status or the 5-Star rating accorded to the Venus Beach Hotel? How on earth was it ever accorded the hallowed 5-Stars accolade in the first place? More importantly, how does it manage to retain this undeserved status?

Catering: This qualifies as a plus point. Meals were of the ‘All buffet serving’ style, with a different theme each night. The weekly themes were: Monday – Chef’s night; Tuesday – Italian; Wednesday – BBQ Grill; Thursday – Oriental; Friday – Greek/Cypriot; Saturday – Farmers; Sunday – Carvery. Associated menus outside the restaurant occasionally reflected what was available that day….. but often didn’t. Quality was variable, but more up than down. Usually you could find something to appeal to you, but if in doubt the desserts were always scrummy. The chefs did a pretty good job of keeping hot food hot, and cold food cold. The range of food at breakfast was not the largest I have ever seen, but yet again it would be a very picky diner who could not find something to please.

On Thursdays there was an option to experience a Flambé night dinner at a cost of €25:70 per person (or €10:66 per person in addition to what they had already paid for their normal meal for any half-boarders). Flambé night promised diners a better menu, and was always widely advertised but always embarrassingly poorly attended.

Food at Weekends: Food quality was most definitely racked up a notch at weekends, compared with weekdays. This is almost certainly related to the hoards of locals who descend on the Venus Beach Hotel by the bucket load for bargain weekend breaks.

The Pool at Weekends: In addition to the influx of locals with their families at weekends activity around the pool dramatically rises at weekends. Now call me picky but some of the clientele did not exactly look like your average 5-Star hotel guests. Eavesdropping on the conversation of a group of these ‘iffy’ people supported the widely held belief they were there because they knew it was so easy to gain access to the pool area, with its free use of the pool itself, the sun loungers, mattresses and towels. Security is non-existent in preventing this infiltrator access. The problem is particularly bad at weekends, when the pool is also being extensively and legitimately used by the paying holidaying guests and locals, with their young children who do not deserve to have to witness the lewd behaviour and coarse language of these ‘adult’ interlopers. Human gorillas are needed to reverse this unwelcome trend.

Hotel Prices: The same notice that requires air-conditioning to be available from May onwards also states the daily accommodation rates at the hotel. For my room the rates for 2 adults sharing the room are:

B&B €240
Half Board €282
Full Board €320

Why are such ludicrous rates published, since no one, but no one would ever dream of paying them?

Drinks Prices: This is where the hotel made its money, especially from diners at meal times, but not from us as thankfully we are both virtually teetotal and we refused to succumb to the whopping mark-up compared to the price for the identical item in the bars/supermarket over the road. This may have explained why the hotel bars were near deserted in the evenings, while the bars across the road were throbbing. The latter also showed Premier League football matches on big screen TVs, which was an improvement on the unappetising foreign language programme offerings that Venus Beach Hotel appeared to favour. Even so, prices ‘over the road’ were high enough; a reflection on the dramatic price hikes in the shops since the Euro came to Cyprus.

Summary: Super weather, hugely disappointing hotel. Would we ever return? Ummm….. No.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Venus Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!