“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Smartline Paphos

You added Smartline Paphos to your Saves list
Smartline Paphos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pari Street | P.O. Box 62459, Paphos 8064, Cyprus (Formerly Mayfair Hotel)   |
Ranked #65 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Surrey, UK.
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was going to write quite a long review of this hotel, but much of what I intended saying has been said already, so I shan’t waste anyone’s time in repeating much of what has been already written. We were part of a party of 57 wedding guests, many of whom stayed in the Mayfair Apartments during the early part of July 2012. Our apartment was overlooked by a block of shabby residences, just 25 to 30 feet away, presumably housing local people. The positive side of this was that there were no holiday-making drunks chatting and laughing on their balconies opposite until silly o’clock in the morning keeping us awake!

We had a few minor gripes, such as a lack of storage space; there were cupboards above the fitted wardrobe, but we couldn’t reach them to open them! I am 6’ 3” and, with my arm fully extended, I was a full 4 inches short of reaching the handles. Also, we reported that our toilet didn’t refill after use, but no-one came to fix it. I just had to take the top of the cistern and manually release the flotation device to get a refill. A pain in the bottom, but we could live with it. The double bed was enormous, really enormous, but as hard as hell. A shame that we only had one door key, as it meant that we both had to be in at the same time each night, or else the one who stayed out later had to disturb the one who went home earlier. The air-conditioning, and all electrical items too, were supposed to be operated by inserting the key-fob into a device in the wall on entrance, meaning that when you went out, taking the key with you, all of the appliances shut down. Our wall device was knackered, meaning that our air conditioning, fridge and so on were on all of the time. Happy days, and nights too for that matter! We slept really well in the quiet, cool room, even though we ended up with back-ache.

It must be a question of what time of year that you go on holiday, as we noticed that, day by day, the place became busier and busier. The queues became longer too. Also, speaking as we found, all of the sun beds were “bagged” by 0700 hours. We had to go down at around 0610 hours each day to grab a few, and leave two or three of our party sitting there guarding them. Some of the sun beds were broken or defective, and there was enough room, particularly on the grassed areas, to have more beds to cater for everyone who needed them, when the place is at full capacity.

Quality of food is a personal perception, but I found it really good, particularly considering the amount of people being catered for at any one time. I was a little miffed that the midday meal seemed to never offer any vegetables, just the proteins and then rice or potatoes. The breakfasts and evening meals were great, with a good choice. The soups were really tasty. I also liked the inspired idea of eating al fresco at midday, as many other AI hotels insist on holidaymakers wearing tops and shoes when eating in the restaurants, meaning that you get suntan lotion all over your tee shirts. As you were eating out on a covered terrace, this was not a problem. You ate dressed as comfortably as you wanted.

The greatest resource that this hotel has is the staff that it employs. They are loyal and hard-working, and many are very friendly indeed. When we left, we gave gifts and money to those who had served us so well, and kisses and handshakes were exchanged. We felt like we were leaving friends behind. They really are lovely people, but they are being exploited. They work exceedingly long hours each day, taking just one day off a week, all for a basic pay of 850 Euros a month. One of my party found a female member of the bar staff crying her eyes out at 0030 hours, still working clearing up, and she had been on site since mid-morning the day before. She was stressed to hell. When asked why they put up with the dreadful conditions of service, several of them said that there would always be someone willing to take their jobs from them, as there is so much unemployment in Cyprus. Despite this fact, Management employ too few staff to cope, so queues get longer, hot customers get short-tempered and take it out on these poor overworked people. Please, when you go on holiday, bear this in mind. Management, pay these people more, shorten their hours, employ more of them and treat them as you would like to be treated yourselves. They are your finest asset. Look after them.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the local residences are much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I feel it necessary to write a truly honest review of this hotel, as after reading some before I went away, I was dreading my holiday.
Firstly, this hotel is rated 3* in all brochures so cannot understand why people are moaning. It is an excellent property with fanatastic food & entertainment.

Rooms: Basic and slightly dated, we were all inclusive but had kitchen facilities, why would people moan about that when you can make your own tea and coffee?!!!
Our view was pretty poor (looking on to the back of a Cypriot block of flats!) but we only used the room to sleep, wash and get dressed in! I understand people like to use their balconies early morning/evening etc, so if you are adamant you want one, the hotel staff are more than happy to move you. Air conditioning is included, ours got very cold!

Food: Excellent choice, a different theme every night, the carvery night was excellent!! Lamb cooked to perfection. Also do Greek nights, Italian, International etc. Breakfast has full english every day, hard boiled eggs, porridge and cereals, bread for toast with a selection of jams. Again, loads of choice and nothing to moan about!

Lunch is at the pool bar, again a good selection: chips, salads, cooked hot meats, rices or potatoes etc. I was having a good 3 meals a day!

Beware that it takes a while for drinks to be bought to your table at dinner, but we tended to go to the bar first, get a drink there and then take it to the restaurant.

Decent pools, 2 and a small childrens one, both clean and well kept, glorious sunshine at both, plenty of beds (until a large Northern wedding party turned up and were up on the last 2 days of our holiday putting towels on sunbeds at 7am!!)
There are waiters that come round the pools and will get you some drinks, but again, this is not a 5* all inclusive property so this should not be expected.

Drinks: lager (local) and all local spritis, whiskey, vodka, gin and rum. Cocktails also included, measures for the drinks are good, only get glasses in the evenings.

Staff are good and the entertainment team are superb!! A different show every night, the dancers are fantastic, West End style, truly a credit to the hotel. Daytime activites included Lilo Wars (very funny) pool, table tennis and aqua aerobics to name a few, didn't get involved as I was too busy reading Fifty Shades of Grey!

Location: about a 10/15 minute walk to Paphos harbour, this did not bother us at all, it was nice to take a stroll when the temperature started to drop. Not much of a beach in Paphos but the harbour is beautifully kept, lovely cobbled roads, plenty of seating to watch the big yachts coming in and out. Shops included Lacoste and Tommy Hilfiger. Loved the 'Bar Strip' especially Flairs bar, loads of special offers on the drinks so it is cheap to drink out if you fancy a party!

Both my boyfriend and I had a lovely chilled 10 nights at the Mayfair Hotel, really couldn't moan about it, loved Paphos as a resort and would return to this hotel again if I was coming back.

Please please do not listen to some of the bad reviews, if you like 5* all inclusive hotels, then book one and not the Mayfair because it won't be the same, but nonetheless this is a great value for money option, perfect for couples, families and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view at reception.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Smartline Paphos, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I would like to thank you very much for your comments and the very honest way of writing them. Many thanks also for all of you writing before and forgive me but since we are very busy I do not have much time to reply to all individually. Surely I do ready all your comments and we do appreciate everyone's view because we believe that we can improve our services through you. Have a nice summer all of you!
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I recently stayed at the Mayfair hotel for 2 nights whilst staying with friends in Cyprus. After reading some of the reviews we were a bit apprehensive of this hotel however we were pleasntly suprised.

The hotel is very clean and spacious, the receptionist was helpful. The rooms are basic however they are clean, the beds were comfy, with clean linen. There are 3 large outdoor pools at the hotel and each were suitable for all ages.

The AI package was good value for money, there wasnt vast choice at meal times but what was availble was enjoyable and cooked to a good standard. The worst selection was at breakfast where there were limited bread selections no pastries and the juices were visibly watered down.

The entertainment at the hotel is good and the kids are kept really entertained, they work really hard day and night to ensure guests enjoy their stay.

The hotel is situated on a main street in paphos and 10minute walk from the harbour

Overall a good stay and well enjoyed break

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have just returned from a week staying at the Mayfair and was very upset by previous reviews so felt it unfair and had to put my point accross. Do not listen to the moaners & groaners of previous reviews.
* The rooms are very spacious and cleaned everyday (apartments are reccommended even on All Inclusive)
* The air conditioning could be better it works but I think its so hot at the moment its not powerfull enough
* The food was excellent with a good choice at every meal
* The entertainment staff were brilliant (except for Man O Man)
* The pools are spacious with lots of beds to choose from (however you do need to be up early to get a good spot)
* Staff were brilliant especially Laura at the pool bar
* Hotel facilities are great

Some people have written that its not good for a 4* hotel BUT IT'S NOT A 4* ITS A 3* SO FACILITIES ARE EXCELLENT FOR THE CORRECT RATING!!!!!!!

The hotel is approx 15/20 minute walk to the beach but with 40 degree heat 2 buggies 8 people buckets & spades etc we got a taxi which was approx 10 euros for us all!!!! I thought this was a good rate and used them quite a few times for various different things (mayfair taxis) they are just outside the hotel and are very friendly and reliable.

A MUST DO FOR PAPHOS.......
Fat Mamas - restaurant with a twist
Food is excellent & entertainment fantastic - I dont want to give too much away but if you have a special occasion birthday, anniversary etc please let them know!!!!!!

Well all in all I think I have put my point accross and wish you all a fantastic holiday and please say hi to Claire & Laura on the entertainment team!

Co Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This is my 9th 3* AI holiday so I have a good comparison with other places. I was more than happy with the Mayfair, I e-mailed ahead asking for a pool view appartment which was granted, overlooking the lower pool. There was fruit and wine in the room on arrival. Room was to the usual 3* standard with excellent air conditioning and a large balcony. Pool was warm enough, enough sun beds to go round and quite a few sun umbrellas. Entertainment team offered enough activities for those with the energy and put on a good show each evening. Location is in residential area about 15 minutes to the sea front. Food was to a good standard although I would have preferred more fruit to be offered for breakfast and lunch. All staff were friendly especially Laura at the pool bar. Negatives: not keen on the waiter service at the top bar, AI alcoholic drinks not very strong and the mini golf needs updating or changing to a children's play area. Plenty of watersports on sea front, we visited Mosaics and Tombs of Kings and did a day trip to Troodos Mountains (we used Horizon for a jeep trip to Troodos - I would advise against this our driver hardly spoke English, so although we saw alot we didn't learn much!) I would be happy to recommend the Mayfair, go and enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Poolside view, overlooking lower pool.
Hyde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Anybody who complains about this hotel would complain if they won the lottery!
The management certainly had their eyes (&hands) on every department. Staff were efficient, well trained, friendly and most attentive.
Room was of adequate size with pool view, free TV, fridge and MOST IMPORTANT - free air-conditioning - a really pleasant surprise. Maid service regular, unobtrusive & well performed.
The restaurant was a masterpiece of efficiency, a large variety of dishes to suit everyone at all meals and superbly cooked and presented. Drinks were in your hand as you sat down and no table was left with used crockery for more than seconds. It was so good we made full use of the all-inclusive facility & didn't eat out any night.
Entertainment was professional and different every night over the two weeks. Singing & dancing were up to cruise ship standard & the female lead singer will no doubt be on x-factor soon! Even ballet & tap were showcased in amongst the expected chartopper and showtunes dancing. The Entertainment Team also worked tirelessly through the day and kept the kids amused. One of them was Russian & ensured the several Russian visitors and kids received necessary translation to be able to join in. Sleep was made pleasant by the fact that all entertainment noise finished by 11:00 ish.
Bar staff were attentive & never left you with an empty glass. Maintenance team kept the grounds and pools immaculate.
There are two large pools and good grounds and several shady seating areas as well as plenty sunbeds. Very large foyer has lots of sofas & quiet areas and large TVs.
There were no hooligans or overloud groups & everyone seemed to get on and enjoy the holiday & facilities & our Thomas Cook Rep, Laura most helpful. Not many groups of youths but those that there were, were all very well behaved
This hotel certainly suits romantic couples, families with kids - and Russians.
Our only recommendations would be to improve the air-con in the dining room as was a bit oppressively hot & it did not make you want to linger long after you had eaten. Baths could do with handholds.
The area is one of residential flats buildings and not much in the way of bars etc immediately nearby. However, the excellent bus service (3Euros for an all day ticket) is regular and handy and soon gets you to the harbour & sea front areas & also up to the brilliant market.
Definitely would go again to same place.

Room Tip: book early and ask for high room with pool view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Smartline Paphos, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Many thanks for your good and correct comments. We need and we will improve even more.
West Lothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just back from our 2nd holiday to the Mayfair. There were 2 adults and 4 kids in our party and all had a great time.
When we arrived we got a great welcome, as when one of the kids walked in, the receptionist promptly said your back you were here last year (good to be remembered) especially with the volume of people passing through.
We were allocated our room and informed to come down the following day at 12 to get the keys to the room that had been requested. No problems with the changeover and I didn't have to ask for it.
On moving our luggage into the new room the maid (Natalie) welcomed us and said if there was anything we required just to ask. Never had to ask for anything because the room was always cleaned and made up extremely well especially her gift of making up the towels (a true treasure).
Our thanks go out to the bar staff and waiters especially Laura on the pool bar, Julia on the main bar and Amir Khan who was serving drinks to the tables. They are all so pleasant and great for remembering your order. This made it especially helpful due to one of the party being disabled and being unable to get to the bar.
With regards to the diningroom I can only say how greatful we were because a table was reserved each night to ensure that we could get the wheelchair in. This was greatly appreciated and goes to show that although you are all inclusive you are not just a number. The food was fantastic and our compliments go out to the chefs. The breakfast choice was different each morning and the variety of food that was on in the evening was fantastic. Our group had some fussy eaters and there was always somethng for everyone to enjoy (not an easy task). The snack and lunchtime buffet was sufficient for your needs, as during this time you are not needing anything heavy and just something to keep you going.
The entertainments team are absolutely fantastic with the kids. Our thanks go out to Barry, Claire and Sarah. They put on entertainment throughout the day and each night and although it is not to everyones cup of tea you have to remember that they are catering for a wide age group. If you do not want to hear the kids party tunes, then that's the ideal time to go for your dinner ie between 8pm and 8.45pm. Adults entertainment started from 9pm and the variety was good. Something different each night.
What you need to remember is you can't please all the people all of the time. This hotel matches everything that the brochure states and we as a group will definitely be going back.
Well done the Mayfair.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Smartline Paphos? Share your experiences!