“A Mixed Bag At Best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Louis Phaethon Beach

Save Saved
You added Louis Phaethon Beach to your Saves list
Louis Phaethon Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   22 Theos Aphrodite Avenue, Geroskipou | PO Box 61017, Paphos 8130, Cyprus   |
Ranked #25 of 95 hotels in Paphos
Ipswich
“A Mixed Bag At Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Reception:

Once we had arrived we were greeted by the staff that immediately made us feel welcome. We had just undergone a delay at paphos airport due to the baggage handlers going on strike and the staff were very sympathetic and helpful.

The reception overall is of good standard and there are two prominent bars where drinks are available. During the day there are no long waiting times with waiters asking what you would like however be aware during the evenings time between drinks are often quite delayed. This is due to the fact guests aren’t supposed to go to the bar and order drinks directly however I found it often alot easier to simply ignore this and order myself as it could be 45 mins between drinks otherwise.

For people wanting to use the internet or WIFI there are 4 terminals which are priced at 1 euro for 10 mins use. Please note that you will have to get past the teenage facebook mafia to use them as they are almost a permanent feature in reception. Why kids feel the need to check facebook every day when they are on holiday is beyond me.

Staff

The staff are by far this hotels greatest asset working very hard to keep the hotels standards as high as they can. The waiters and waitresses especially deserve a mention as I found their service in the restaurant of a very high standard. The cleaners all so do a very good job and this can be seen very early in the morning when you look out from your balcony to see an army rushing around cleaning the pool area for the coming days use.

Restaurant

The food was in plenty of supply
and very wide ranging for all tastes. Not once did me and my wife have any symptoms of upset stomachs in the whole two weeks. One thing that did really bug me was the lack of dress code and unfortunately this is my first moan. Every evening me and my wife used to go to the restaurant around 7 - 7.30 and during that time the amount of people who came in wearing football tops, shorts, hats, flip-flops amazed me. Basically the dress code is that you can wear whatever you like as long as men don’t wear vests.

Women have no dress code to speak of and I regularly saw women coming in with beach wear and "dresses" which wouldn’t look out of place in a strip club.
If you were at this hotel same time as me and you are saying "I didn’t see anyone like this" that was because IT WAS YOU.

Rooms

Alot has been said about the rooms overall I found them small but very clean and well looked after.

Pool

By far this is my biggest complaint and this is what in my opinion made an ok holiday into a semi bad one. There are far too many people in this hotel the pool side during the day is simply swamped. I did not once go in the pool once during this holiday due the fact it is full of small children, teenagers and young guys jumping around all over the place and the sheer amount of noise.

Now if there were a separate pool for adults this would have easily sorted the issue out however due to the small size of the resort the hotel can’t do this. I am aware of the refurb which is going to take place later this year however I saw planners marking out the new boundaries and I am not holding my breath for another pool.

The noise is something else in this hotel and to give you a flavour of it there was a wedding in the hotel grounds where me and my wife regularly sun bathed to stay away from the thumping noise. On this grassed area looking out to sea there are regularly about 50 -75 people of all nationalities sun bathing.

On this particular day we were asked to move so they could set up for the wedding which I totally understood. During the wedding vows the bride and groom had selected a song by Shania twain playing in the background which was lovely. However the music was being drowned out by music at the pool banging out wonderwall by oasis. I honestly felt bad for the couple and no one from the entertainment staff who are in charge of the music by the pool seemed to stop and notice a wedding was taking place. I will upload a video of the wedding area to show what is on offer. Me and my wife got married in Kenya on a similar budget and when asked what she would do if we were to marry here she said she would probably cry her eyes out.

Entertainment staff
Pain in the backside very poor quality with evening shows. Clearly these guys who have obviously done some sort of performing arts course at college and think they are something they are not. I have seen many other teams like this all around the world and this lot are easily at the bottom of the pile. Doesn’t look like they rehearse or talk to each other often completely out of sync with each other. A text book example of gap year students.

Overall Impression
I will be very blunt here: If you want a relaxing holiday DO NOT COME TO THIS HOTEL. This hotel is great for families with teenagers but everyone else who wants some peace and quiet it unfortunately it falls short

It is a shame there are so many negatives as me and my wife were looking forward to going here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

2,115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

The phaethon is very impressive when you 1st enter, there were only 2 ppl on reception when our bus arrived which left us waiting 20 minutes to check in. We then had the longest walk ever down a long, long gloomy fusty corridor to our room which was clean and kept clean daily..although the lower the floor you are placed the more mosquito problems you have indoors and out. The restraunt was very warm so we decided to eat outdoors but then had to battle ferrell cats. The food was nice with lots to choose from and the childrens eating station is a good idea. If you want to sit around the bar at night dont expect the staff to chat..they are only allowed to say a couple of words or they get a severe telling off-which happened right in front of us and the girl reduced to tears. The animation team work hard....its just a pity they work hard amusing themselves with the kids ok if their face fits....they even cheated competitions to make sure their favourite child won, and joined in competitions themselves to show off their so called talent., even the d.j played the music he wanted to hear. THE POOL SIDE IS DANGEROUSLY SLIPPY AND WE SAW MANY ACCIDENTS. Save your money..the ledra beach is a great hotel..but genuinly cheerful...

Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just got back off holiday and i can honestly say its been fantastic.You are going to either love or hate the Phaethon for different reasons.I went with my wife for a weeks break and i can say its been lovely.The reception area is stunning , as good as some 5 star hotels I've stayed in and the staff cannot do enough for you.The rooms do want a facelift but come November this year the hotel is getting allot of money spent on it..The dining is excellent , you can eat all day if you want from 7am to 5 pm and then again from 6pm to 9pm.The pool bar is open from 10 am where you can get drinks , ice-cream ,snacks ,as much as you want all day.There is a Asian corner next to it which i would recommend as a lunch time option(Chinese ), very good .The breakfasts are fantastic and the evening meals are excellent, very much geared up for children too.
The pool area is very slippery so be careful. There is plenty of sunbeds on offer so no worries there and there are really nice areas around the grounds where if you want to get out of the hussle and bussle you can relax there- very nice.
There is a sandy beach to the left of the hotel where its shallow waters are nice for the kiddies to play safely in and quiet too.
The animation team are very good , always on the go and friendly.The only down side i found was the constant music blaring out from 10am till 5pm which is ok if you like that sort of thing but i found it distracting and spoilt it slightly but then again the hotel is aimed at families .
The rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels provided.You will need to take your own beach towels for the sunbeds though.Overall its is a great place to stay for families and teenagers with plenty going on to entertain them while you relax.I will definitely be going back either before or after it has a facelift and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Larnaka, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

we were recommended this hotel by friends (who holidayed with us). as they have small children and had been twice in last 12 months. we booked direct with the hotel and after a 2 hour drive arrived. We were told that we would have a delay in checking into our room ( we arrived 2 hours before check in time!) but were given our all inclusive bands straight away compensate and had full use of the facilities..
The food was very varied and the separate kids station at evening meal was fantastic. The staff couldnt do more for us, extremely helpful. The "Animation" entertainment team work day & night and were all very friendly and welcoming. stopping to chat to the kids, and the evening entertainment was varied and lots of fun, alot of planning has gone into it and they do not stop..
Ok, so the rooms are in need of a lick of paint but they were kept spotlessly clean by housekeeping (daily)... but they were comfy and had air con..
I would like to see mosquito screens on the patio doors though, especially for pool-side rooms..

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We have just returned from a week long stay at this hotel, booked as a last minute break.We went all inclusive. I was wary after reading some of the reviews here, but my feeling now is that it very much depends on what you want from a holiday.
The hotel is dated and in need of the upcoming overhaul. It was extremely hot (up to 40 degrees) while we were there and the air conditioning throughout the hotel struggled to cope. The corridors leading to the rooms were like a sauna. It was also turned off in the communal areas at midnight, which was extremely uncomfortable. All of this I am sure will be rectified by the refurb its about to undergo.
Our room was very small for 3 of us, but we didn't spend a lot of time in it anyway, except to escape the heat.
It has all been said before about the food, which was plentiful, with a good selection. We did eat out a few times tho as it was a bit repetitive, and the dining room is huge, busy & noisy.
The pool was also extremely busy, crowded, with loud music and loads of (very happy looking!!) children with inflatables.Lots of activities going on with aqua aerobics, volleyball etc. It is dangerously slippery around the pool but staff did their best to mop up water and put signs up. Sunbeds were hard to come by after breakfast. A second pool would improve things I'm sure. We spend most of the time on the small beach nearby, where it was cooler & quieter (sunbeds cost 2.50 each there) and the sea was lovely, shallow and warm.
There are 4 computers in the bar area so there was always a queue to get on particularly at night (it cost 1 Euro for 10 mins)
We went to the harbour a few nights, there are loads of bars and restaurants and shops (including some well known British brands!)
The staff were extremely helpful and polite at all times and worked flat out from morning to night. My teenager enjoyed it because of the friends she met there, but there was very little for them to do in the evenings. The evening entertainment was shows, bingo, hypnotists, so they entertained themselves mostly.
We did enjoy our time in Paphos, but would not return to this hotel in its current condition.

Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I agree wtih the last 2 good reports, think the other reviews must have gone with high expectations. I agree the rooms are a bit dated. But everything worked in our room including the air con.
The food is excellent so much so that I did aqua gym in the pool everyday and went running on a morning so I could fit into my clothes when I came home!. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the reception including the manager and assistant manager they were really good.
The animation team work really hard to please everyone without being too pushy .There were plenty of sunbeds so why people had the need to put there towels on the beds at night I dont know.

There isnt a beach as such but the watersports are great . If you want a beach there are a few just a short walk from the hotel.

The hotel is a bit far out of paphos harbour but there is a bus every 15 mins and cost 1 euro. The bus stop is right outside the hotel.

We didnt go all inclusive we were half board because we hired a car and went exploring this beautiful Island.

Only down side and its a bit petty but there isnt a Kettle (I like my cup of coffee in the morning) No Fridge and No towels for the Sunbed but apart from that we would definitely go back .

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Had a great time with my 9 year old son. Animation and kids club, great food and nice accomodation made this a holiday that can be relaxing, energetic or a mix. Great to go with Thomson who have really made an effort from start to beginning to make the holiday no hassle .

Only bad point - the rudest person in the world is the manageress of the the shop in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Louis Phaethon Beach? Share your experiences!