We weren't expecting to go back to Cyprus as we have been several times before with friends who have a house there, but we got an offer which was too good to miss, and we are so glad we took it up !! The hotel is beautiful, having been recently refurbished, and it is very tastefully decorated and furnished throughout. The rooms are well-serviced with ample towels, lovely bedding, and all the facilities you could want(we did actually request a quiet room, but ended up directly above the entertainment venue, but it didn't go on much beyond 11 pm so it wasn't too disturbing !) The food is varied, catering for every taste, and the presentation is excellent- they go to such a lot of trouble with the garnishing that it is almost a work of art ! There are four restaurants on-site, namely the main restaurant, where evening meals are served, the breakfast restaurant which is also where you can sample typical Cypriot food during your stay, the Garibaldi which is Italian, and the Thai restaurant. The latter two were particularly enjoyable. The Garibaldi is a quiet oasis away from the bustle of the main restaurant, and the food is delicious and served at you table rather than self-service. There is a very refined air about it, not least because there are no children there !! It is also small, so there are not many customers in at any one time .The Thai restaurant is outside, and on the evening we were there it was very balmy and pleasant sitting watching the world go by, and looking out towards the port- an uninterrupted view. The food again was delicious- and my husband was introduced to sushi (I don't want raw fish !!) for the first time-and enjoyed it, even eating it with the chop sticks provided !! All-in-all the eating experience was much to be recommended.
The out door facilities and pool area were scrupulously clean and well appointed. All the beds were comfortable. We were fortunate to get beds in the Adults Only serenity pool- this was beautifully designed with very comfortable loungers and attentive service from the bar staff. The sunbed allocation system is a great idea- I don't know why more hotels don't do this- it saves having to beat everyone to your preferred positions every morning! Of course, for this scheme to work, there has to be enough beds for all the guests, and if there is one criticism, it is that the beds do seem to be very close together , although we didn't have that problem where we were. There were also beds on the beach side of the hotel, but the public path went through the grounds, so it could feel abit cut-off from the main pool area but probably people like that, and certainly there was always plenty to be looking at out at sea.
One of the greatest assets of the Alexander is the staff- they were absolutely delightful, right from the general manager Andreas (O.K. so he's an Arsenal supporter, but we won't hold that against him !!) to the sous-chefs and the cleaners. Andreas was very visible, not shut away in an office, and he always made an effort to talk to guests, to eat in the restaurants, and generally be available. The Head Chef, similarly, was always around and available for comments.The waiting staff were attentive and pleasant, willing to chat- as much as their job would allow, of course ! but there was no surliness which can be the case in many hotels. Emma ,who was in charge of seating in the various dining rooms, always had a friendly word or quip, remembering names and preferences. The young pool bar staff were a joy- many Eastern Europeans, and so pleasant and smartly dressed with excellent English. As many reviewers have said, they couldn't do enough for you.
As you can see, we were very impressed with the whole experience, but I would just like to add a word of warning to the hotel management and guests going there- the baths are a nightmare- they are not easy to get in and out of, and are very slippery and the base slopes- my husband slipped getting out on the first day there, and there were several incidents of similar accidents whilst we were there including a lady who broke her ribs and spent the whole of her holiday, and more, in hospital. They were very attentive to my husband when they knew what had happened and we were offered a non-slip bath mat, but it rather took the edge off, and he would not use the bath again for the rest of the holiday as he was afraid of slipping again. They do offer a mat, but most of the incidents happened on the first or second day of the holiday, before you realise the problem. This is something which really does need addressing as it can spoil your holiday- we were lucky but others, particularly older people, may not be so fortunate.
But, to end on a positive note !!_ this is a great hotel, and one which I would have no hesitation in recommending- and Paphos itself has really smartened itself up, since it is a candidate city for the 2017 European Centre of Culture, so it is much nicer and fresher than it was.
All- in -all, a great holiday !
(p.s. sorry you won't win the Premier League again next season, Andreas!!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- • Award-winning hotel• Great ‘EU Blue Flag’ beachfront location • Unique central location overlooking the picturesque harbour and old Castle • Recently Renovated • Accommodation capacity 202 rooms• New Garden Superior Cabanas (suitable for couples) Front Sea view, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• New Superior Cabanas with infinity private pool(suitable for adults) Front Sea View, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• Two Bedroom Penthouse Suite, Full Sea View, Ultra luxury with elegant furniture, Private dining and lounge area, sunbathing facilities, spacious veranda, luxury bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; VIP check-in. • Superior Rooms – Front Sea View Rooms offering bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; • Standard Rooms – Front Sea View, Side Sea View & Inland View• New HB & FB plus concept that includes dine around, with the choice of 5 restaurants and free drinks package included with every meal • Roxanne’s Restaurant serves live cooking shows and buffet style theme nights that vary each night; • Garibaldi serves á la carte Italian cuisine (adults-only); • Kiku serves a la carte Japanese cuisine; • Limanaki Greek Tavern overlooking the Mediterranean sea, serves traditional Cyprus meze• Pella pool bar offering snacks, refreshments and cocktails.• Breakfast & lunch served in the Café Royal Restaurant in buffet and show cooking style. A la carte menu is also available at lunch.• Alexander’s main cocktail bar with daily entertainment; • Large lobby & terrace with bamboo style sofas and live piano 3 times a week; • Unique sun bed allocation system to ensure your own sun bed and parasols during your stay; • Free-form swimming pool; (free usage) • Free usage of indoor heated pool (winter) with whirlpool overlooking Paphos old harbor • Aphrodite New Health Club & Spa; Free sauna & steam bath. Massages, facials, manicure and pedicure also available at charge• New spacious fully equipped gym; Tennis court• Hairdressing Saloon • Havana – new outdoor entertainment venue• Professional entertainment & Animation team through out the year• Kids’ Club, professionally run, kids disco and other supervised activities.• Healthy children’s menus• Cots and high chairs available• Kids’ own pool• Family orientated hotel• Wedding venues available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Alexander The Great Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander The Great Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Paphos
- Alexander The Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Cyprus
- Alexander Great Cyprus