Good stuff first - the hotel refurb is fantastic. Pool areas are excellent quality and you can watch other holiday makers walking past admiring and wishing they could get in! Hotel reception staff are always very helpful and friendly. Beautifully decorated and furnished to a high standard - feels quite opulent as you walk in. When we arrived we were offered a very refreshing welcome drink whilst we completed our paperwork. The Italian restaurant was brilliant once we managed to get it booked due to a very strange booking system. The lamb melted in our mouths. Bar staff excellent, room cleaning very good and maids were very friendly. Pool bar is great, although same music every day ( love a bit of ska but not on repeat lol). Pool bar food good value and very tasty. Great views from the terrace.
We booked and paid ((£862) for an upgrade to a garden cabana room which has a 'private' infinity pool. Rooms are just to the side of the hotel where it would seem that there was once some measure of privacy. We walked round to our room and were initially surprised that the photo I'd had as my phone wallpaper for the last 6 months, to keep me going til our first holiday in 5 years, did not look anything like the outlook we now had. See pics. We thought that perhaps the pic was from another room but after a couple of days it became apparent that no the outlook over the new adult only pool with resident bathers was it. We were room 047. and there are about 5 of the pool rooms. Outside our room was our beautiful infinity pool which is approx 12ft long then a 4ft path and then the faces of the pool bathers. Behind them is a simply stunning pool area, however, at no point did anyone tell us, not even at check in, that our room expectations were gone. The new pool is amazing but due to the water features it is very noisy, that kind of noisy that you suddenly notice when it gets turned off at 5pmish. We felt as if we had guests in our garden. I have thought hard before writing this negative bit as generally the hotel is lovely and we had a great time as we were there for a wedding and were probably lucky that we were out a lot so we didn't have long periods of time to get irritated whilst there. Other friends that stayed in 327 had the uninterrupted sea view and complete privacy on their balcony and only paid approx £340 for their upgrade.
We opted for the big upgrade as a first in our lifetime for our 20th wedding anniversary so we had privacy and a bit more of an intimate environment and we ended up (with no disrespect meant to our Paphos pals) with our mates having sun beds outside what we thought would be private.
This said the room is lovely, the pool great, bathroom is high standard although we found the fact that you had to stand on the toilet to see a full length view of yourself a little lacking as there is no full length mirror. We did mention this and were advised that had we said on the first day it would have been rectified whilst we were there, but that they wouldn't be able to get done until the day we left (29/5/13).
We reported our disappointment to our Thomson rep who was very understanding and was also shocked when shown my photo and then saw what we actually got. After speaking to the hotel reception staff and head office what came back was that when a hotel is under refurb the clause in the t&cs about cant guarantee pictures and descriptions comes into play. Mmmmmmm this was pretty massive a whole pool area was built!! A courtesy call or email to advise that all privacy gone and that when at the end of our pool we'd be looking at people 4ft away!!!! This was not what was sold.
The rep put a note thru our door just before we left to say that our £862 upgrade covered our 'private' infinity pool, our larger bathroom, a 42" TV (actually on a 32" in our room) and the more luxurious room. Our furniture was no different to our friends. So we paid £123 extra per day for that on top of the basic holiday cost of £223 per day. We could have stayed in an amazing villa for that and had total privacy.
Our romantic courtesy bottle of champagne (not nice) delivered to our room was a lovely touch for our anniversary but to be joined by a pair of 70somethings at the end of our pool did take the edge off it a bit.
We visited our friends room and it felt that the refurb had been more beneficial in the main hotel and these rooms were great with sea views that were beautiful. Gutted didn't save our money and book one of these instead.
We visited the Japanese restaurant which was the most disappointing eating experience at the hotel as there was no lighting other than 2 tea lights and by main course we had to use torch apps on our phones, along with the other diners we found it quite amusing, but really not nice to not be able to see what you're eating. We were there for 1 and 3/4 hours and only got to main course and gave up waiting for dessert menu.
Entertainment was a bit too holiday camp for our liking but a lot of guests seemed to enjoy The Jersey Boys being sung very badly by a couple of lads with deeper voices and no falsetto. Think the entertainment is a bit marmite.
Bar needs to stay open past 1230 as several times we came back in and would have liked a night cap and its a total no-no.
We have lived and learnt. We still had a great holiday as we were with good friends and would def recommend the Alex but would not pay the cabana upgrade again and would opt for a high superior sea view. Once the advertising is updated you'd never know what should have been but to be in the cross over was a big disappointment.
Sorry for the ramble do go and you will enjoy the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- • Award-winning hotel• Great ‘EU Blue Flag’ beachfront location • Unique central location overlooking the picturesque harbour and old Castle • Recently Renovated • Accommodation capacity 202 rooms• New Garden Superior Cabanas (suitable for couples) Front Sea view, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• New Superior Cabanas with infinity private pool(suitable for adults) Front Sea View, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• Two Bedroom Penthouse Suite, Full Sea View, Ultra luxury with elegant furniture, Private dining and lounge area, sunbathing facilities, spacious veranda, luxury bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; VIP check-in. • Superior Rooms – Front Sea View Rooms offering bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; • Standard Rooms – Front Sea View, Side Sea View & Inland View• New HB & FB plus concept that includes dine around, with the choice of 5 restaurants and free drinks package included with every meal • Roxanne’s Restaurant serves live cooking shows and buffet style theme nights that vary each night; • Garibaldi serves á la carte Italian cuisine (adults-only); • Kiku serves a la carte Japanese cuisine; • Limanaki Greek Tavern overlooking the Mediterranean sea, serves traditional Cyprus meze• Pella pool bar offering snacks, refreshments and cocktails.• Breakfast & lunch served in the Café Royal Restaurant in buffet and show cooking style. A la carte menu is also available at lunch.• Alexander’s main cocktail bar with daily entertainment; • Large lobby & terrace with bamboo style sofas and live piano 3 times a week; • Unique sun bed allocation system to ensure your own sun bed and parasols during your stay; • Free-form swimming pool; (free usage) • Free usage of indoor heated pool (winter) with whirlpool overlooking Paphos old harbor • Aphrodite New Health Club & Spa; Free sauna & steam bath. Massages, facials, manicure and pedicure also available at charge• New spacious fully equipped gym; Tennis court• Hairdressing Saloon • Havana – new outdoor entertainment venue• Professional entertainment & Animation team through out the year• Kids’ Club, professionally run, kids disco and other supervised activities.• Healthy children’s menus• Cots and high chairs available• Kids’ own pool• Family orientated hotel• Wedding venues available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Alexander The Great Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander The Great Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Paphos
- Alexander The Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Cyprus
- Alexander Great Cyprus