“Definitely not a 5star! Would never stay here again!” 3 of 5 stars

Almyra Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Poseidonos Avenue | PO Box 60401, Paphos 8102, Cyprus   |
Ranked #25 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Cyprus
“Definitely not a 5star! Would never stay here again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We knew this hotel was old when we booked it but we also knew that it was renovated from what it initially was. What we didn't know was the poor standard of the renovation!! Windows must have never been changed, giving a tired look to the whole space reminding 1980s era! The floors in the rooms are ridiculous! They look like concrete and stained in several places. Decor is minimal with much empty space. Mirror and paintings not even fixed on the walls! Doors are old too, giving that tired look to the space and we could hear all about what was going on in the rooms next to us!

Breakfast is VERY basic if you compare this with other 5star hotels.

The only positive comment is the pool area at the spa and the view from there. The treatments we had at the spa were ok but room is too bright with no relaxing atmosphere at all!

In general this hotel is definitely not at the standard of other 5star hotels in Cyprus and one could wonder how it deserves to be rated as 5star!
I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Greek first
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Enjoyable holiday 10 days in February to get away from the rain. Hotel very clean public rooms & bedrooms. The food [full board] a bit monotonous, but I am a picky eater, was plentiful at every meal, breakfast was my favorite as I love Greek breakfast with fruit, cheese, olives, yoghurt & bread. The themed evening meals often contained many of the same dishes, but all was well presented & kept tidy as it was buffet style & guests do tend to make a mess! Unfortunately for me the outdoor pool was unheated & spa pool very small, I like to swim long distances! The spa was very difficult if you had limited mobility as there were many steps, from entrance to changing room 2 flights, then another flight up to pool & down again to dress!! They were all marble & very slippery when wet. I'm not sure what can be done to make it more accessible. Very good location for local shops & buses to other towns, we enjoyed the bus rides as we had lived in Cyprus in the 1960's it was interesting to see the countryside again.

Room Tip: Ground floor non sea view have v good terraces which would be great in high summer as they are shade...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Limassol, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for one night & needed a hotel close to Paphos Harbour. We settled on the Almyra.

What I liked about the hotel:

The hotel is in a great location for Paphos harbour & shopping areas and there was ample parking at the hotel. The staff were friendly & the place was clean. The spa was spacious & there was a beautiful outdoor infinity pool with stunning views across the med & harbour.

What I didn't like about the hotel:

There was no 'welcome' as such that i'd normally associate with a 5 star hotel, like a drink whilst you fill out the appropriate paperwork.
The place is looking a bit jaded & you don't have to look too closely to find faults. Examples include, scuffed paintwork, multiple sealant repairs, scratched & faded black ash furniture, pictures that have wrinkled/blistered in their frames, rusty marks on the shower curtains. Spa facilities such as sauna & steam closing at 7pm.
There was no complimentary bottle of water in the room, no coffee or tea making facilities or anything at all in the empty mini bar. I found this very unusual for a 5 star hotel.
Basically the rooms are a bit clinical & minimalist a bit like an upmarket Ikea but also tired into the deal.

I can't comment too much on the food as we only stayed for bed & breakfast & I only managed a banana & a slice of toast before our half marathon at the harbour. However, the selection looked nice & fresh.

We are dinner at the Amorosa restaurant in the neighbouring sister hotel; The Anabelle, which was excellent & I will write a separate review on that.
To sum up i'd say don't expect a 5 star experience here but it's probably more 4 star. If you want a 5 star experience in Paphos I'd recommend The Elysium.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've just returned home after a 5 night stay at The Alymra. I travelled on my own, and had a sea view room. I don't usually go for HB but due to the price I decided to also opt for this.

It's a lovely hotel, the staff are very friendly, and helpful. It's also clean and I found my stay very relaxing. I did have a joining room, but this just wasn't an issue and although people were next door I couldn't hear them. I was also a female on my own and didn't feel concerned regarding this. Down sides of the room, it just felt a little bit tired, more a 4 than a 5 star, and the fridge wasn't stocked. I could have requested this to be filled, but I've never stayed in a hotel before of this suggested standard and not have a mini bar. Also there wasn't a welcome pack that I could find, and unlike some other comments there was no cold sparking water waiting for me!!

The weather was changeable, but I spent the sunny days in the adult only spa pool area which was very nice. I did spend one morning by the indoor pool and was a little disappointed to have screaming children running around as it is advertised as adult only.

Finally - and the only real let down - the food. I was HB, and felt that the breakfast was pretty bland and nothing particularly tasty. The pastries were also very dry to the point where I couldn't eat them. The decaf coffee was Nescafé.....this seemed poor. As for dinner, this was a choice of buffet. Again I thought the food was pretty poor. Each night had a different "theme" but I didn't try anything which wowed me. It all seemed very English.

All in all, I did enjoy staying here. It's in a great location and the views are great, as are the facilities. Also the staff were very lovely. I would stay here again, I just don't think it deserves a 5 star rating.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a six week break at the Almyra. It was our second year there and we were welcomed like long lost friends the staff are amazing,they make time for everyone. A sea view is a bonus the harbour and the sunsets are beautiful.The food is delicious,the rooms are comfortable as are the large beds.All in all it was a relaxing holiday just what the doctor ordered.

Room Tip: A sea view is a bonus.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Almost everything about the Almyra can be described as excellent, Andreas and Elena in the restaurant could not have been more helpful, my husband is diabetic and each day they made a different diabetic dessert for him. Nothing was too much trouble in the restaurant and all the staff were always smiling. It was my birthday during our one weeks stay and I was given a beautiful birthday cake and we were also upgraded from a seaview room to a seaview with a balcony. We asked could we have a kettle and tea and coffee for the bedroom and no sooner had we asked it was there in the room and replenished each day. Maria and Ariadne on reception were always happy to help. Our only comment about the hotel is that the bedroom lighting could be a lot better and brighter as could the lounge area. The position of the hotel is excellent, right on the coast with walkways into the harbour area and to other hotels in the other direction which makes it easy for the older person! We can highly recommend this hotel for a quiet and restful holiday at this time of the year and would definately return.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best, others face the road and do not get the sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Umea, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We liked everything about Almyra Hotel and had a great relaxed and cosy holiday with our twingirls, can´t wait to go back there!:-) The location is great, beside the sea and with lovely view over the old Pafos Castle and the harbour,wich is just a few minutes walk away. Almyra has surroundings gardens with lavendel walkways and several spots to relax on sundbeds, or to sit and enjoy a good book. There is enough space for both the kids "to run around" and for find a quiet spot to just relax. The service is great from all staff at Almyra, in the reception and in the restaurants. Hotel is very clean all over and and there isn´t anything to remark on. We had two kinds of room durig our stay: Inlandview rooms that interconnecting, it was a lot of space and nice rooms. We also stayed in The Kyma Suites, and it´s really have a wow-factor, it´s like having your own luxury cabin with your own garden next to the seaside. It also has a roofterrace where we watched a lovely sunset.
During our stay we had fullboard, and we all liked the food a lot. Every lunch/dinner had differents themes and it tasted really good. We have been travelling a lot and after a few days you use to be tired of the food, but at Almyra we never felt so. Another great thing with dining at Almyra is that you can also have tour dinner or lunch at Annabelle Hotel which is nextdoors and a part of Thanos Hotels. You can also use all the facilties at Annabelle, like the pool, which we did several times.
Almyra Hotel also has another lovely restaurantspot- The Ouzeria next to the seaside. It´s really genuine and we loved to sit there watching people strolling by and our girls picking stones and shells on the beachside, and listning to nice greek music at the same time.
A few times we also took the oppertunity to visit Almyra spa and gym, also another lovely place at the hotel. Almyra has everything you can wish for to have that perfect familyholiday or for romantics getaways.We just came home from our holiday there but can´t wait to go back!!

We want to send a special thanks and greetings to Front Office Manager Stelios who made our birthday so memorable, and to Maria in reception, and to Marco - thankyou for everything!

Room Tip: Choose rooms with seaview. First we had inland view rooms, but if you are sensitive to noise, which...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Almyra Hotel? Share your experiences!