“Exceptional hotel with exemplary service.” 5 of 5 stars

Almyra Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Poseidonos Avenue | PO Box 60401, Paphos 8102, Cyprus   |
Ranked #30 of 95 hotels in Paphos
London
“Exceptional hotel with exemplary service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

superb hotel with a lovely vibe. good mix of guests from young families, couples to small groups. nice rooms even the inland facing ones. but it is the service that makes this hotel stand out. the staff can't do enough for you. always smiling and providing a personal touch. they are clearly passionate about making your stay memorable. it certainly has been for me.

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Greek first
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We've just got back from our first holiday with our 10 month old and had the most wonderful time at the Almyra. I read a few bad reviews before which are all totally wrong! They must be written by people who have nothing better to do than complain. I highly recommend this hotel. It's a five star boutique experience that is also child friendly. My husband and I have travelled a lot before having kids and are used yo staying in really nice places and we're both quite picky! if you don't have kids there is an adult only pool, and the beauty of the location means you can walk along the promenade into town to get away from the resort if you want to. Perfect for walks with the pram. The hotel can provide all your baby essentials in your room and the crèche was amazing. It was really clean full of toys and the staff were all just do lovely. We had a few mornings by the adult pool relaxing and our baby had a wonderful time at the crèche. The staff at the hotel couldn't have been nicer and more genuine and couldn't have been more helpful. We will be booking up for next year!

• Stayed April 2013
Penarth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We found all the staff happy, friendly and very helpful. A wide choice of food for breakfast and dinner which we found very enjoyable. The out side amenities are exceptionally good and comfortable, pool warm, sun beds that you don't want to leave, We would like to thank Lazlo, Andrew, and Elena, and the cleaners that looked after our room check that all our needs were catered for, I was one of the most relaxing holidays we have had for years. We do feel that the bath with shower over it needs upgrading, as for the noise outside our room the hotel cannot do much to stop the locals enjoying themselves it would not stop me booking again as there are other rooms away from the road. Many thanks, hope to be back next year.

Room Tip: Inland room are a bit noisy, book a seaveiw room from the second floor upward to enjoy a quiet area...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Make your own experiences & opinions!!! :)

I must say I was a bit reluctant about going to Cyprus over Easter break (in the current financial situation - wrongly shown on news I saw) or this hotel judging by the reviews here... However! How wrong was I!

The people of Pafos (I spoke to a few fishermen & elderly around the beach & small streets) are the most friendly & outgoing people I've ever met (I'm very well traveled, staying mostly at 5 star hotels, living in UAE - so, spoiled!).

Plenty to do around the area - lots of old sights of interest, restaurants (don't go to the sushi one across the street - terrible service & food), bars & cafes, all within 5-10min walk, or just 30min by taxi to the winery where the best white wine in the hotel is offered, Persafoni! Small old churches, old caves - an adventure for the whole family!

However nothing can compare to the stuff of the Almyra! Every single one of them, throughout the hotel, every single moment of every day! That absolutely compensates for the simplicity of the rooms & hard pillows! Thank you to all of them, especially to Duty Mngr Maria Christodoulou, reception - Maria, buffet dinner - Theodoros & Elena, breakfast buffet - Eleni, lobby bar - Lasclo, to name a few! Job well done! We'll come back!
P.S. Sea view is a must!
If you are a couple, looking for a quiet place, its probably best to stay at next door Annabelle (same property)! Almyra is amazing well catered for families with small (they even have freshly cooked baby puree items on the menu!) & big kids, so understandably, it gets happily loud around all areas! :)

• Stayed March 2013
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We ran away for a extra long weekend (left the kids with their grandparents and all work behind) and decided to take a trip to Cyprus and booked the Almyra. It's quite, romantic and the staff will try to accommodate even the most fussy traveler.

The wife wants to take the kids back now.

Room Tip: Unless your going to spend all day in the room you don't really need a view. The garden is just...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this hotel through Mercury Direct and it was described as 5 star. 5 star hotels, under international standards descriptions, have tea and coffee making in the rooms. Almyra didn't. We were lucky to get one complimentary bottle of water for whole stay! The first room we were allocated, described as 'Garden room' overlooked the road and all night long the locals revved their car/bike engines and did wheelies, making sleep impossible. Everyone was complaining and of course we then got the old 'upgrade' scam from the hotel management. Pay us an extra 40 euros and we will put you in a room where you can sleep! Of course I had to and I am now trying to get this back from Mercury Direct. Cup of coffee is 4.50 euros, same for bottle of water. Food in evening just about edible but fairly tasteless. Left feeling totally ripped off. I wouldn't go to the Almyra or it's sister hotels the Annabelle and the Anassa on the Akamas Peninsula ever. The attitude of the management is all wrong; they have forgotten the meaning of 'hospitality'.

Room Tip: Dont have a garden room-noisy. All beds have hard mattresses. If you must go there book a sea view r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We apologise that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at Almyra. I can assure you that our guests comfort and enjoyment is our priority. We do have a number of different room categories available within the Hotel, some sea facing some garden facing, which are priced differently. Whilst we enjoy offering complimentary upgrades when we can especially if a guest in unhappy, this is not always available on a complimentary basis if the higher room categories have been reserved and are very limited.

You feedback about the coffee and tea tray charge and coffee prices have been passed on to our management team for review, and are appreciated. We are offering complimentary water in all rooms on arrival,

Again, I am sorry that you didnt enjoy your stay, if you do change your mind and try our Hotels again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can assist you with your requirements personally

Kind Regards
Maria Christodoulou
Duty Manager
mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com
Limassol, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotels' own website describes it as "Luxury 5 Star Family Beach Hotel". Ok, it's on the beach - granted. And, it does cater for people with young children including, I believe a babysitting service. But don't quote me on that one...

The restaurants and communal areas are very well presented with quality furnishings and fittings but for us, that's where it ended with regards to the accommodation.

The Almyra is an ultra-modernist styled hotel with bedrooms based on a minimalistic black and white theme. The furniture in the bedrooms is not so good quality and it shows, which is a shame especially in comparison to the furnishings in the public and dining areas. (Envisage flat-pack, MFI put together yourself and you will get the picture.) Unit doors not quite meeting in the middle etc.

Originally, the Paphos Beach Hotel the hotel was renovated and renamed Almyra some time ago and is the sister hotel to the Annabelle. They cannot be compared and my personal view is the Almyra is an average 4 star at best.

We were in a Superior Sea View Room on the 2nd level (same level as the Reception ...) and there are no balconies to any of these rooms. Ground level rooms have a small open terrace with a couple of chairs and a coffee table.

The bathroom doors appear to be from the original Paphos Beach Hotel and heavily painted over the hinges.

Bathroom fittings have been replaced with stand alone sinks and an unusual shower which offers a choice of bath, hand held shower or overhead shower. However, if you choose the overhead option, the shower screen is not wide enough to stop the water going all over the bathroom floor. It's these small things which let it down

Toiletries provided were in cheap plastic bottles and we've seen far superior containers in lesser standard hotels.
The most hilarious thing we found were the slippers and dressing gowns, all supplied free of charge in the rooms. I'm a UK size 10 to 12 and the dressing gown wrapped over with 2 inches to spare at the waist. The tie belt came high up my rib cage and each time I moved the whole thing came open. They don't cover anything and are probably suitable for people of Oriental ethnicity. The slippers however, were both approximately a UK sized 9 or 10 (41 or 42).

No "black out" curtains are at the windows which means the rooms on the sea side get very hot in the afternoon. There are pull down blinds but these are of a mesh variety which do not deflect the heat. The curtains are not heavy enough to keep the heat out either. We were there in April and the room got hot in the afternoon when we were experiencing only low temperatures of 20C to 22C.

Going down to breakfast on our final day we chose to take the stairs. We know from the style of tiles that these are the original tiles used when the hotel was first built. It dates it back to some 20+ years of age.

The saving grace was as follows: Nice mattress toppers (possibly memory foam) for a comfortable bed, very helpful and friendly staff, lots of staff around, well-tended outdoor grounds/gardens, Good choice of breakfast and nicely presented.

Tea making facilities are available on request from Reception at a cost of €3.50 per day for which you will receive 2 teabags and 2 coffee sachets or a mixture of both.... :-(

Was it worth the price of almost €200 per night for 2 people for a Superior Sea View Room? I don't think so and I'm pleased we did not pay that price.

I would say it is "Recommended" based on the great location and views across to Paphos Fort on the other side of the bay but feel it should not be recommended as a 5 star luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms for great views - but no rooms have a balcony. If you book one of high floor suites...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We are pleased you felt the team were helpful and available to make your holiday enjoyable. This is very important to us,

I am disappointed that the design, furnishings and some of the amenities didnt meet your expectations, its helpful to know, as we are continuously enhancing our facilities and overall product especially in response to our guest feedback. Your comment about the size of bathrobes and slippers is also helpful, we have many sizes available and happy to change these for guests if they dont fit correctly and do as needed on request.

I would also like to recommend our sister properties the Annabelle and Anassa Hotels. The more classic design of both these hotels maybe more in line with your expectations. I hope you do consider staying with us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you do, as I would like to help find the best match for you interms of Hotel and room category so that you will enjoy every aspect of your stay next time.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
Maria Christodoulou
Duty Manager
mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com

Been to Almyra Hotel? Share your experiences!