“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elysium Hotel

You added Elysium Hotel to your Saves list
Elysium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Queen Verenikis Street | PO Box 60701, Paphos 8107, Cyprus   |
Ranked #4 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
West Sussex
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

The attention to detail is amazing, the staff are fantastic from cleaners and gardeners to waiters, porters and managers. The hotel is clean, well kept and maintained to a very high level and highly organised.

The breakfasts are lovely, tasty and lots of variety, but a slight niggle is that the full English is always either cold or warm, never hot and they could do with a more efficient method of keeping it warmer. The flamboyant chef is too loud for my liking and bosses the other staff around, I prefer the atmosphere when he is not around. Luigi deserves special mention for anticipating our needs and delivering with speed!

The drinks and food are expensive, we ate at the Japanese one night and although we had to book, there were only 2 other guests eating there - perhaps because of the steep price?! The food was good and the waiter was excellent but we could have eaten outside the hotel locally for half the price.

This was our second visit and we upgraded to a Royal Room with private pool, which was fantastic, although not as private as advertised. Another slight niggle is the staff letting themselves into our room every day - mostly 4 a day. I expect the cleaner, but there is also someone to arrange the fruit/flowers, someone to check you haven't taken anything from the mini-bar and someone to leave a sweet at night - and because we were by the pool and didn't hear them, I did get a scare when disturbed by a strange man in my room! Surely the mini-bar could be done weekly if people are staying for a fortnight? Does it have to be done daily?

We did notice some cost cutting measures in place since our last visit, especially the Manager's Party which had very little food, few drinks and not many staff compared to last year.

The biggest gripe by far, which other guests commented on was the cost of using the internet. This should be free, especially for any guests paying the extra to stay in one of the Royal Rooms. (Cheaper at the nearby Internet Cafe). The second biggest gripe is the water. Plentiful and free at breakfast and if you are using the gym, but otherwise you pay a fortune for it (cheaper at the local supermarket).

The bedding was a little uncomfortable, but the air conditioning was better than last year.

Taking everything into account, it was a relaxing and lovely holiday in a beautiful hotel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
tetney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

a lovely hotel with all modern facilities. The quality of the towels and bed linen were first class. The pool attendants were just that - attentive, the doorman was so friendly, the reception staff were always helpful. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed at the Elysium at the end of may till June and had our wedding there.
What can I say apart from that it was truly amazing! From the moment you arrive we where treated amazingly well, the welcome drinks where just what we needed!
We had a delux sea view room and the view was brilliant, we stayed bed and breakfast, the breakfast was vast everything you could wish for.
The hotel is very grand and the attention to detail was perfect, all the staff remebered our names.
Our wedding was perfect we could not have asked for a better location, we idi have 1 slight glitch but that was more than compensated for by the manager.
I would recommened this hotel to anyone . All of guests where amazed by it.

The food was lovely we ate at most restaurants and the pool bar did great snacks. Yes the drinks our expensive but where well worth it to drink them in the most amazing setting ever.

We also used the spa which again was lovely we where both extremely relaxed when we had our treatments!

We are already looking at going back.
It is definatley worth every penny

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I have just returned from my 3rd visit to this hotel in one year so that should give you some idea of how highly I rate it! We stayed for 11nts on a half board basis.

The thing that makes this hotel stand out from the other 5 star properties ( I have stayed at both the Amathus Beach Hotel and The Annabelle) in Paphos is the amazing attention to detail and the fact that the staff at this hotel are genuinely outstanding.

Rooms are of a good size and decorated well and in keeping with the style of the hotel. They are cleaned in the morning and turndown and towel change etc in the evening.

We absolutely loved the restaurants in the hotel. Breakfast is AMAZING! Marios the omlette chef in the morning loves to make a fuss of you and is always singing - hilarious! The food and service were fantastic and even during busy weekends the staff were so friendly and professional. We ate buffets at the Lemonia Restaurant which change its themes daily at dinner time. A huge and well planned variety of starters, main courses and desserts to die for!! If you are not on a HB basis it would cost you 40 euros per person plus drinks so we were glad that we had opted for that option. On HB you can also eat at the Messina restaurant on the terrace which is a lovely setting. Again fabulous food and table service. I would like to thank both George and Luigi for looking after my mother and myself so well!! Their standard of service was so high and nothing was too much trouble. All the restaurant staff were friendly but these two waiters really stood out to us because of their efficiency and professionalism. They are a real credit to the hotel.

We also ate at the Mediterrano restaurant at lunchtime but if you don't want or can't be bothered to move from your sunlounger then you can order from any of the poolbar staff who do the rounds regularly to see if you need anything. The chicken wraps are great!

Many people comment on here about the price of drinks at this hotel. Yes it is on the steep side but you are staying at a 5 star hotel and the price reflects that. I loved the Mojitos (9 euros) and the house red and white wines are perfectly acceptable (locally produced) - I did find it in a supermarket though for about 6 euros a bottle so it was a little annoying to have to pay 21 euros in the restaurant for it!

The gardens and pool areas are well maintained and there is a small beach. The spa had daily offers on but I think that the prices really are too high. It is an ESPA spa and if I remember correctly I think a 50 minute massage was about 90 euros.

This hotel really is a very special place indeed and it seems to take great pride in delivering exceptional service. My mum and I both agree that it deserves 6 stars for service! I cannot wait to return..........

• Stayed June 2010
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Paphos, Cyprus in Oct 09 for a friend's wedding and after a lengthy search for a hotel, we chose the Elysium. I can't really remember what made it stand out anymore than the other slightly "fancier" hotels that we looked at, but am I glad that we went with our gut and stayed at this marvelous place. The location is a touch removed from Paphos Harbour (which is where most of the "action" takes place), but the newly constructed pedestrian walkway along the water makes for a very pleasant stroll from the hotel to the "main drag". It's approximately a 20 minute leisurely walk to the harbour and to all the shops and restaurants.

The hotel is massive, with I think three or four restaurants (could be more but check out their website) and the pool area is breathtaking....very romantic and beautifully lit at night.
There is also a beach area with plenty of loungers and umbrellas and of course, waiter service. I must say that swimming in the Mediterranean is quite breathtaking...the water is saltier and "heavier" than what we're used to here in N. America. Looking out into the horizon, it's hard to believe that N. Africa is just a short trip from where we were - truly amazing!

The breakfast buffet is wonderful, with so many different stations and great service! I enjoyed my mornings having breakfast under lemon trees in these gargantuan clay urns, sipping Cypriot coffee and being treated like a queen. Do check out the spa in the hotel - they're very accommodating and the prices are pretty much in line with what it should be in a 5 star hotel. I enjoyed a wonderful facial and massage and my husband had a cranial massage that left him in a trance for the rest of the trip!

Our room was on the second floor with a pool/ocean view and very well appointed. My only problem were the heavy wooden closet doors that were located right by the entryway and the bathroom. The narrow hallway where all these doors met required some maneuvering, but this was extremely minor. We didn't spend anytime at all in the room as we were busy with wedding "stuff" and exploring Paphos. I do remember the delicious macaroons left on our pillows every night we came in and our slippers always found their way by the side of the bed so we didn't have to walk around with our bare feet on the cold tile floor. The beds were so comfortable and we definitely needed this after the long days out in the hot sun.

If you get tired of relaxing and would like to venture out, the Tombs of the Kings is a very short walk from the Elysium (I think that some of the rooms had a view of this), which is exactly what we did one day. Tip: go early in the day since there's a bit of walking involved within the grounds and you want to beat the loads of tour buses that visit this sight. Also, it could get very hot as it gets later in the day. I believe this is a world heritage site and cannot be missed it you're in Paphos and it's literally a stone's throw from the hotel! Do the jeep safaris as well - they're so much fun. We did one with Hercules travel and we had a blast. Out tour guide, Lionel, was tons of fun and definitely knew his stuff. There's also a cab stand/taxi service that the hotel provides which I would recommend if you don't want to be overcharged or feel like haggling for cab fare. The drivers are very knowledgeable and helpful with restaurant recommendations and such.

We enjoyed exploring the interior as well as the hotel grounds. There's so much more to see and I wish we would've stayed another week at least - the 10 days definitely was not enough! We had such an amazing time in Paphos and the Elysium definitely completed the package.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at the Elysium over the Easter break. We arrived quite late at the hotel so missed dinner (we had a free upgrade to half board as we booked ttrough hotels4u.com via Tripadvisor) so a litte disappointing, but the room service was delightful, but we had to pay for this of course, I have stayed in many hotels across the globe in some of the finest hotels and the room service had not been as nice as at the Elysium. I travelled with 2 children (4 and 14 years), my mother and grandmother and our stay was beyond perfect and between the five of us we covered all age ranges (from 4 to 85). The kids club was lovely for my son, he couldn't wait to go there everyday. My daughter met a nice friend and spent most of her time with her and they walked safely from the hotel into Paphos harbour via a pathway from the hotel directly into Paphos (Approx 25mins). The food was to an extremely high standard and was buffet style, which I normally hate, but the food was wonderful. All hotel staff were efficient and attentive. We booked a side sea view and this was a little disappointing, I faced some baron ground which wasn't very nice so I was moved to a pool view which was perfect. I also looked at other rooms they offer and if you can afford the adidtional expense of an actual sea view, it's well worth it. The cypriot maionette was also lovely with an upstairs which looked great. The reception staff were just lovely and tried to help with everything that I needed. We had to extend our stay for an additional 5 nights due to the ash cloud and I couldn't think of a nicer place to be stranded. Every morning for breakfast we sat outside and the setting is just how you would expect a five star luxury resort to be. I can't comment on the swimming pool, it looked lovely, but it was freezing, so stayed quite happily sunbathing by the side The Spa was amazing, had a really nice beauty therapist from Peterborough and again one of the best facials I've had, I actually fell asleep it was that relaxing. My mum used the bus service which wasn't particularly friendly, but inexpensve and regular. There is a cashpoint machine at the end of the road.

Now for the niggles: The room was comfortable but not luxourious and there were no complimentary Tea/Coffee making facilities and my Mum and Nan really missed this, so we spent a fortune on room service (Approx £5 per cup) and then asked the receptionist if we could have a kettle brought to our room, they were a little relunctant, but one was delivered - Therefore, if Tea in your room is important, I would take a travel kettle and a travel iron, as it didnt have an iron or ironing board either, you could use the hotel facilities, which my Mum did, it was okay but like a boiler room and extremely hot. I much prefer a seperate shower and seperate bath, but unfortunately the shower was in the bath with a shower curtain, that was horrid and no complimentary shower gel, but it did have shampoo and conditioner.
The not so good bits were minor irrritations and nothing more, next time I will make sure I take with me what they don't have as it is still by far the best hotel in Paphos. I am very much looking forward to staying there again - hopefully in October.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We booked a stay at the Elysium Hotel in Paphos June 2010 as we were going to a wedding - I must say that the hotel is absolutely fabulous. Initially we arrived quite late in the evening after having a very cramped flight over.

As soon as we arrived, our luggage was collected. Our room was also upgraded when we checked in at reception which cheered us up immensely. After receiving a welcome drink, we were then shown to our room. The room was very big and spacious and we had a spectacular sea view from our balcony.

We decided on room service every day for breakfast, and the staff were absolutely wonderful. They were always happy, always helpful, always asking if they could get us anything else.

The staff always took the time to say good morning and offered to get us a taxi whenever we left the hotel. Towels etc were replenished every day.

After 2 previous disastrous visits to Cyprus, this was to be our last trip. However, after staying at the Elysium we will definitely return.

In our experience, I would ignore any bad reviews of this Hotel, as it must be the best in Cyprus.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Elysium Hotel? Share your experiences!