“Comfortable and well positioned” 4 of 5 stars

You added Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Poseidon Ave | PO Box 62381, Paphos 8098, Cyprus   |
Ranked #20 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
london, uk
“Comfortable and well positioned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We had a pleasant week in a clean, well appointed hotel.

Waiting staff were of variable quality: some were excellent, others were intrusive.

Staff were generally polite and helpful and facilities were in good condition.

Great position for walks on the beach and watersports

• Stayed October 2012
Tassos H, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words regarding your stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos.

I was pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us
We thank you for your valuable feedback/comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel

Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Greek first
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nice hotel, but not at 5 star or LHW level at all. Therefore only worthwhile a stay at a strongly discounted rate. The place has potential, but management's only objective seems to be to maximize short term profit without regard for the hotel's reputation. Unfortunately they will continue as long as they can find (British and Russian) people who don't realize how little they are getting for their money. We've traveled 26 Oct to 1 Nov 2012. Next year at this time, we'll return to the Reid's Palace in Madeira or Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai.

Here's an extract from my mail to the hotel management, for more detail on my criticism:

"I've had a pleasant stay at your hotel, given I enjoyed the time with my family and the mild weather. Otherwise, I was frankly shocked by the extremely bad value I got for the money I spent at your hotel. Given i.a. the below points, I would have found a room rate of perhaps EUR 400 acceptable for a B&B package with a junior suite, but certainly not the EUR 650 a night you've charged me. Overall, your hotel doesn't remotely have the appearance or service I expect from a LHW member, although a few recent negative experiences make me believe that this brand isn't what it used to be. I have very few days of holidays every year and am willing to spend a lot in order to have a nice time with my family. I stay at 5 star hotels very frequently, but your hotel was a disappointment due to the shabby appearance of room and facilities, overwhelmed staff and the way you seem to try to save cost/increase revenue in every petty way possible.

-Overall appearance: It's OK for your hotel to have a 1980ies feel, given that's when it was built. It's not OK that you don't replace worn or broken appliances/furniture/carpets, paint is pealing off walls or doors/ windows/ walls are chipped, scratched or dirty.
-Room size: The "junior suite" has the size of a regular room in a five star hotel.
-Bathroom size: Absolutely inappropriate for a room that's supposed to accommodate up to 4 people!
-Room and bathroom are badly designed (e.g. the cupboard doors can't be opened so that all parts of the cupboard can be accessed; no matter how carefully we showered, there was always a huge puddle in the bathroom) and shabby (mold in the shower, walls/furniture/doors chipped and dirty).
-Restaurants general: Staff and appearance are not of a five star hotel. Staff are generally overwhelmed and sometimes arrogant. The ambiance in the breakfast restaurant or the evening restaurant-options is of a 3-4 star all-inclusive resort.
-The breakfast buffet is not at the level of a five star hotel.
-At one occasion at the pool restaurant we were served 2 plates of grilled chicken. While one smelled like expected, the other meat was clearly bad and actually stank. Rather than apologize, the staff was reluctant to replace it and eventually made us wait another 30 minutes for a fresh plate. By then our three small kids weren't in a mood to sit any longer.
-Do you really expect a family of 5 to get on with 2 bottles of still water in the room? We've asked several times to get a few more bottles and were told this was against hotel policy. At EUR 650 a night I frankly think you should provide as much free water as requested.
-Beverage prices: By charging EUR 5 for a soft drink and EUR 7 for an espresso, you are trying to push everyone to purchase your EUR 32 a day "beverage package". That's just cheap and ridiculous.
-Lack of a la carte evening restaurant. Some evenings, especially with kids, we'd rather have a pizza or a small dish rather than a EUR 36 a head all-you-can eat buffet. The only option (ignoring the small sandwiches at your lobby caffee) is room service. But then there's not even enough room in your "junior suites" to park the room service trolley, let alone a table to sit down and eat!
-Pool: That's the only highlight of your hotel, although I would have expected the water to be heated in late October.
-Airport pick-up: We spent the first 1.5 hours on Cyprus in a van organized by the hotel for the transfer from Larnaca airport. It was smelly, old and suspension was bad. We were desperately trying to keep our kids from not getting road sick, which they normally never get."

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tassos H, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Mr Vukovich

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Hotel Questionnaire. I am really pleased to read that, in general, you had a pleasant stay in our hotel with your family.

On the other hand I would like to express my disappointment for the fact that your stay in our hotel has not fully met your expectations. We, the entire Team at the Amathus, consider as a prime responsibility to express apologies to our esteemed guests who feel that our hotel has not achieved to satisfy fully their needs.

It is our policy therefore to personally evaluate all guest feedback so to ensure that comments are taken seriously into consideration for the improvement of our operation and as a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Your very helpful comments, scores and experience have already been communicated to the rest of the management team for immediate corrective measures. On the other hand, I would also like to inform you that we do offer an a la carte choice in our Luna Rosa restaurant on a daily basis. I understand you have purchased a “Food Fest” package, but still you could enjoy a la carte dining with an allowance deducted from your meal account. On another note, please have in mind that the cost of soft drink is at € 3.95 each and the cost of an Espresso coffee is at € 3.85 each, therefore, please let us know where you were overcharged in order to investigate it further.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Yours sincerely
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel is located a few kilometres away from the port. It is possible to walk, but you'll probably consider a taxi if you are carrying luggage.

The common areas of the hotel (lobby, pool etc) are spotless - as is breakfast buffet. Everything from halloumi to sparkling wine.

The only thing keeping my rating to a mere four is that the rooms could use a little freshing up.

I went there off-season (early November) and paid around €65 per night. For that price it's a bargain!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property, which for the best part we consider constructive and part of the on-going process of improving our service levels here at the Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos.

Please rest assure that all your comments have been taken very seriously by me and my Management Team.

Sincerely Yours

Bury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Have been to this hotel for the past 16 years - so that says it all.
Good, friendly staff. Food, facilities, bedrooms, pool, gardens, restaurants. et.etc.etc. all top class.
I especially love the terazza, to sit under the stars chosing and eating scrumptious Itialian food.

Room Tip: All good, but I like to overlook the tennis courts and entrance!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tassos H, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I cannot thank you enough for your very kind feedback on your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you, once again, enjoyed our service and that the great team I am proud to have here have also once again exceeded your expectations. Rest assure that we will pass your comments on to them all.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos in the near future.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My now Wife and I lived in Cyprus a few years ago and knew of the Amathus Hotel in Paphos but hadn't previously visited. On agreeing to get married in Cyprus we checked a few Hotels out online and settled on the Amathus Beach Hotel, Paphos following a personal recommendation.

My wife was in regular contact with the Hotel in the 14 or so months before the Wedding to confirm the finer details of the ceremony. The response time and attention to detail from Chrysos was very reassuring. This immediately put us at ease before arriving in Cyprus.

On arriving at the Amathus Beach Hotel we were even more pleased with their attention to not only the Wedding but also throughout our 2 week stay.

Every effort was made to welcome our arrival, wine and fruit in the room as well as regular bottles of sparkling wines compliments of the Hotel and an upgrade for our room which gave us a stunning view of the sunset each night.

The quality of the food in this Hotel is truly amazing. We stayed at the Hotel Half Board which I would recommend given the choice of restaurants in the Hotel and the variety of food on offer.

La Terrazza - the Italian restaurant serves up some fantastic Mediterranean dishes with not only a huge choice but the quality of the ingredients was there for all to see. A nice atmosphere with some soft music in the background from an accordian player makes this restaurant a perfect place to chill out, drink some great wines, whilst enjoying some fantastic food. This one of the restaurants you can eat at without extra cost.

Luna Rosa - My personal favourite was the Luna Rosa which has different themes each night. This offers a formal yet relaxed atmosphere with some excellent musicians (violinists, pianists) etc. This restaurant is 5* all the way!

My own recommendation would be 'Grill Night' if you're a meat lover. Again, outstanding food, excellent choice and even if you're not a fan of meat then the selection of vegetarian options means you'll still have an amazing meal.

From Greek night to Flambe to Carvery, this restauarant has it all. I can honestly say this food is the best I've ever eaten on any holiday I've had.

Asiachi is the Asian cuisine restaurant which is very good. My wife and I enjoy Asian food but this was very Japanese biased. I recommend seeing the menu before you book here as it may not be what you expect. Again, excellent food but as it is quite 'traditional' Asian food it may not be to everyone's taste.

The Wedding - Simply the perfect day. In the days leading up to the Wedding we met Marios Dionisiou (Assistant F&B Manager) who immediately made us feel at ease as he had years experience in Weddings but has been at the Hotel for many years meaning he knows what he is talking about. Nothing was too much of a problem whatever we wanted Marios got without any hesitation.

We got married on the garden area leading out towards the beach and had our reception on the Orangery Terrace and couldn't have wished for it to be any more perfect.

All we had to do was turn up and enjoy the day. You put a lot of planning and faith into arranging a Wedding and thanks to all of the staff, especially Marios our Wedding was amazing.

If I have any advice to anyone looking at getting married in Cyprus, I can't recommend the Amathus Beach Hotel highly enough.

I would also recommend booking the Wedding directly with the Hotel and NOT using a Wedding Co-Ordinator. Put simply, you will end up paying significantly more for a Wedding with Thomson's, Thomas Cook etc. with a Wedding Co-Ordinator who simply doesn't need to be involved and should definitely contact them directly to arrange.

We'll certainly be back the Hotel celebrating our Anniversary and look forward to reliving some weonderful memories.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tassos H, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything of a high standard.
We thank you for your valuable feedback/comments and the special mention you have made to members of our team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel for yet another relaxing holiday!

paphos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had my son's christening party two years ago at the hotel and everyone just loved the food (friends and family still talk about it). The service was very good and professional. I was so happy with how organized the help was i'm having my other son's christening there in two weeks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tassos H, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

It was indeed very kind of you to take the time and let us have your impressions from your recent stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos.

Your very kind words about the quality and standard of services delivered in our Hotel are very encouraging for all of us here at the Amathus.

The aim of the entire Amathus team has always been to provide the best possible service and facilities to all our guests, at all times.

We would like to thank you for having given us the opportuni¬ty to extend to you our "Amathus Hospitality", and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back at our Hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed at the Amathus for a weeks family break with my wife and two children (2.5yrs and 11 months) from 13th to 21st October. Had a lovely experience overall and would recommend this hotel to others as a good family holiday destination and will return ourselves. We booked through BA holidays and were on a half board basis staying together in a garden view junior suite.

Positives
We have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels around the world and thought the food variety and quality in the buffet was on a par with these. We found the Italian restaurant outside suited us best, although did have fun at the Greek night.

Staff were friendly and courteous and the rooms were kept very clean as was the rest of the hotel.

Children were appreciated and looked after well by the hotel and staff. From the food provision, to ensuring high chairs were available and the very good onsite playpark, as well as having a friendly smile for the youngsters, it was clear that Amathus caters for and loves children.

Pool area was kept well and there were always enough beds and umbrellas for all and the service from the poolside staff was efficient and pleasant.

Junior suite was easily big enough for the four of us. Older boy was on pull down couch and younger daughter in a cot.

Negatives

Children's pool is very small and shallow and does not allow even young children to practice swimming, whilst the main pool is too deep with no shallow areas for younger children. (Although we did find we could use the small pool area near one of the waterfalls for swimming practice).

Fast Wifi access is an area of contention a charge of €32 per device is levied for fast access. I have never experienced this in any other 5* hotel and perhaps Amathus should consider a room charge, not a per device charge or simply move with the times and give complimentary free fast wifi access to guests.

Agree with other reviewers that perhaps parts of the hotel are starting to look tired and may have to be refurbished. The games room for intance could do with a revamp and updating, and the main restaurant and the rooms are starting to date.

Dear Reviewer,

Please rest assure that all your comments have been taken very seriously by me and my Management Team and that relevant meeting to address all problems have been held.

Sincerely Yours

Hotel Manager

Been to Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos? Share your experiences!