“Fabulous views, good staff, awful food” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Buckinghamshire
“Fabulous views, good staff, awful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Walking through the door, we were full of expectation - the decor is lovely and the views down to the sea wonderful. However, that's where it ended. Our starters were fine, if the portions were on the skinny side but of 4 main courses, only one was good. My husband had the fillet steak which looked awful, seemed impossible to cut and tasted so bad he gave up and the cats had it. His chips - how can you go wrong? - looked like they were left overs and reheated. All in all, inedible and expensive. Two duck breasts were tough and disappointing as well. Whilst our waitress was nice enough, we had to chase for wine lists, extra drinks and the bill which was wrong. Such a shame, so much potential wasted. As family and friends live locally, this could have become a favourite but we won't go back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Surrey
“Worst food ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went with friends to this restaurant, we drinks which arrived, and then we ordered our meal I had greek salad it was limp and certainly not fresh I could not eat it. The main course took 50mins to arrive after our starter dishes were cleared. Meanwhile we tried to get somebody's attention to order another drink but to no avail. As for the main course I had scampi which arrived black and burnt, a friend had pasta which was very over cooked and had a very watery sauce.another dish served was pork which was so tough it was not edible. We never bothered with sweets, we saw another tables and they to looked equally disgusting. We tried for 15 mins to get the bill and were totally ignored, in favour of two other tables of the owners friends. Eventually I complained only to have the bill slammed down in front of me. Not the sort of relaxing evening planned all in all dreadful place only good point is the view, but several other restaurants in tala have the same view and excellent food .

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The restaurant is clean and tidy but the food was poor but the worst thing about the restaurant is the glum service from the owners. He spent most of his time arguing with the children sitting outside on his chairs in the corner next to the shop (there were plenty spare) and she had a miserable expression on her face that told us that she really didn't want to be working.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paphos, Cyprus
“No, gubette, the chef was Captain Birdseye's 1st cousin!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Having read the other reviews, the only way to start this one is...
Nescafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(that should be a tripadvisor world record).
gubette, Lamington-small and bigdom8 had virtually identical experiences to ourselves. I will not repeat those reviews but merely add a few further experiences of our own.

We were served by the boss lady herself. She was perfectly ok until I made a light-hearted comment about house wine. It was treated as being criticism and a wall of ice, non-existent service and appalling food came down instantly.

Throughout the meal it was clear that there were a couple of tables of repeat customers who, for whatever weird reason, liked the food and said all the right things, who were being fawned upon. The much larger number of tables not in that category were in Siberia.

We only had mains. The wait for 2 very simple dishes off a short menu was quite incredibly long. it could only have been an act of spite because of my earlier perceived criticism or an attempt to show us the benefits of ordering starters.

My wife had earlier decided to do without potatos and exchange them for extra vegetables. Bad mistake since the veggies were utterly inedible. She then asked to reinstate the chips, which of course arrived 10 minutes after she had finished the unaccompanied meat dish. We were of course charged for both the vegetables and the chips, despite eating neither!

We then suffered the most astonishing example of sexism I have ever experienced. It had taken 15 minutes to get the lady's attention to even be able to ask for a bill. After a further 15 minutes no actual bill had yet been delivered to the table. I then went to the loo. While I was away the bill did arrive. My wife, to save yet more time, handed over her own credit card and asked the lady to bring the machine to the table so that she could enter the pin. The lady instead told my wife that she would take my wife's card to the bar, from where the machine was not allowed to roam, and that I should go to the bar to enter the pin no when I returned from the loo.

We left without a word being spoken. Our separate stares while my wife entered the pin nos seemed to intimidate even her!

The view is nice. However not even an uninterrupted view of the Taj Mahal would make up for the quality of the food and service.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
leeds
“great sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is a great place for sunday lunch.
the food is always lovely and fresh. If you want more veg potatoes all you have to do is ask.
we have never had bad service in the restuarant and more to the point all the staff go out of there way to help. Just ask!
The restuarant has stunning views and for around 13 euruo for 3 courses what excellant value.

give it a go as the local places in Tala are great places to eat and a great place to stay.

peter & jane