“Recent Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Annabelle

You added The Annabelle to your Saves list
The Annabelle
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10, Poseidonos Avenue | 10 Poseidonos Avenue, Paphos 8042, Cyprus   |
Ranked #23 of 97 Hotels in Paphos
Houston, Texas
“Recent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at the Annabelle in September 2012. We were given a room which had a number of problems, leaking shower non working television. We complained to the management on the next day but they were unable to accommodate us at that time. On the 3rd day we were moved to a deluxe room without any extra charge and had a free bottle of wine. Throughout our stay the management could not do enough to make our stay extremely enjoyable. Thanks to the very excellent response of the management we enjoyed our holiday and will go back to the Annabelle.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise once again for the inconvenience caused by the water leak in your room, and the TV not working satisfactorily. Both of these issues were unfortunate and unusual, and have since been addressed. I am very glad we were able to recover this efficiently to your satisfaction, during your stay, and we are looking forward to welcoming you to Annabelle again.

Kind Regards
Maria Christodoulou
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had a marvellous holiday. The food was incredible. I could not fault it in any way. It felt like the staff genuinely cared about us and nothing was too much for them. Everyone was so professional but also so friendly and caring. I felt pampered and spoilt. The hotel was in a wonderful location. I did not want to leave and would go back anytime. Many thanks for everything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Solihull England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This Hotel is one of the best we have stayed in. The staff cannot be beaten, they are polite and very attentive without being subservient.

The food is good, at other hotels by the 3rd or 4th night I had not looked forward to going down to face the same old food but at the Annabelle I looked forward to the meals.

We paid for an upgrade to a sea view room and were very pleased with the view. We had a view to the sea over a man made pool which is probably more attractive than a de luxe room with an
uninterrupted sea view. We had room 254 and can recommend rooms on the ground floor with similar numbers and those above.

As an addict to my IPad I was delighted with Internet access thoughout the hotel as in previous hotels we have only been able to access it in lobby areas and when I wanted to print out some information I was able to use the Internet room with free paper.

Written on the last day of our visit in December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

After reading all the reviews about this hotel I can only say that I wonder if we were staying at the same hotel as some of the people writing a review. I saw no evidence of feral cats or people feeding them in the 10 days I was a guest. I was not pestered to buy bottles water when I asked for tap water and I was not advised to purchase a bottle of wine when I wanted a glas only.
I did not notice anyone checking my minibar and my room was kept spotless from the time I arived until I left. The restaurant was lovely the food always varied and piping hot and delicious. Would I return to the Annabelle? Yes please and as often as I can.

Room Tip: I was a single traveller but was given a garden view room with a balcony and a gorgeous king sized b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

stayed for a week on 1st dec 2012 sea view upgrade was disappointed it was side view only basic hotel room no different from any 4 star weve been to.Bed clean, bathroom clean, can smoke on small balcony. grounds immaculate, staff very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was disapointing if you had English breakfast it was mostly lukewarm except when they fried you an egg or made an omelette, the choice was the same every day. Tea was also lukewarm couldn't wait to get to a café for a hot cuppa. Didn't stay for lunch so cant comment. Evening meals we were looking forward to but very basic stews, veg, one fish dish we could have went to the chippy for better we were expecting fabulous seafood dishes but no chance everything was the "same" even on their "theme" nights. we laughed at their deserts bread and butter pudding and custard lovely but somehow it just wasn't what we were looking for sometimes I thought we were in a "nursing home" although to be fair most of the elderly people we met were great one old lady slept with a cat in her room each night secretly and fed it from her meals, she said she would be heartbroken when she left. Lots of cats about but no rodents so we didn't mind, Great location for town and castle area but in dec Barr street was deserted and closed down just the rugby pub which was pleasant to sit and have a beer and read the papers in the mornings, Bar prices were high in the hotel so we didn't stay longer than one drink at night before heading to town which some nights was a pity as we wouldn't minded staying in the Annabelle but to drink at night in there was to expensive for us. Overall we enjoyed the Annabelle experience but just to reserved for us Im 58 my hubby is 60 but we prefer a more relaxed and laid back atmosphere with entertainment to suit all ages not just the over 70s.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
YORKSHIRE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just spent 2 weeks at this hotel, Nov 7th to Nov 21st. Now I know what staying in a 5 star hotel is like it has spoiled me for others. Lovely rooms, had a problem with getting into the bath as I am disabled, hoped for a room with a shower only as I asked for one ,but realised that the cost would have been more expensive than what I had paid, did get a rubber mat supplied which made it better.
The situation of the hotel is very good for anyone disabled as at the front of the hotel there is a long flat promenade round to the fort, passing the bars and shops,taking you to the Mosaics at House of Theseus etc. I walk with a stick and there where lots of places to sit and rest and take in the lovely view. The local bus goes from the front of the hotel and takes you along the road which is next to the beach. You can get a bus to the market or Tombs of the Kings, costing 1 Euro per trip or 3 Euro for an all day ticket. They are very regular and caused me no problems.
The food was fine though people who had arrived before me said it was not as good as previous, blaming it on the fact that the cost of the hotel had decreased. Plenty of nice salads, various choices of main courses and very good sweets. The drinks where very expensive and as I had a large glass of water to take my medication before going down for dinner didn't buy one.
The night entertainment was either a pianist or a duo, suited me as I usually went into the Computer room to go online (no charge).
I got the holiday I wanted, nice and restful, able to get a bed by the pool, the temp was 75 and met some nice people, pleased they where mainly English as I was on my own.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and would chose that again, a lot more private than the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kent UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent l0 days recently at the Annabelle. I had been looking forward very much to visiting the hotel and for the most part were reasonably satisfied. Generally staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the hotel attractive and in a good location very close to the centre of Paphos.
We booked a sea view room with full board so were not pleasantly surprised with an upgrade on arrival as were others who hadnt booked a sea view or full board, but we were surprised and very disappointed when we saw our room which was on the side of the building, facing the building site next door. We had a sea view but were tucked behind a concrete wall which obscured the view. The sun which did not reach our rather small balcony made the room dark during the day requiring the light to be on . We hadnt come all this way to use lights in the day and not be able to use the balcony and asked to change immediately. Unfortunately it took a good deal of persistence before we were eventually moved 3 days later, to another better positioned room (though not upgraded) where we could use the balcony and sit outside in the sun which was lovely. Checking out was also not without problem, meaning our last morning was spent trying to sort this out rather than relaxing in the now returned sunshine which is what I had hoped for.
Regarding the food, only one restaurant was in use for breakfast, lunch and dinner which does have the potential to become repetitive . The first 5 days we ate outdoors which was pleasant, if a little dark - it gets dark early this time of year so a little more lighting/candles would be helpful. However for the second half of our holiday the weather changed and we all had to eat inside. The restaurant became very crowded so a function room to the side was also opened up. This room had no windows and was quite dark and not very pleasant to eat in.
We were disappointed with the food, meals were pretty much the same for lunch and dinner which is a pity. Perhaps a white tablecloth in the evenings to denote dinner may have helped the restaurant look less like a slightly up-market cafe and more like a 5* restaurant but that wouldnt have hidden the fact that the food was so samey. An a la carte restaurant opened on Fridays and Saturdays only but this was expensive, set meal 38euros. We went out on our last 2 nights and had an excellent meal for 15euros.
Drinks at the hotel were quite expensive, water at the table 4 euros, (though they will give you tap water if you are a bit pushy), wine 8.50euros per glass , about double what we would usually expect to pay in the UK. No wine under 30 euros per bottle.
In desperation and for the want of a change of scenery we went next door to the sister hotel Almyra for lunch one day, as we had been told we could use Almyra facilities, checking first with their reception and were told this was fine. However once we were seated we were told that we would be charged despite the fact that the food is exactly the same at both hotels. This was sorted out, but left us feeling very uncomfortable.
There were other petty things which one does not expect in a 5* hotel. The extra cost of a kettle and a tea bag in the room (take your own), the 15 euro charge to use the mini fridge/bar (no price list in room) and the staff constantly checking that this has not been used, the fact that you cant borrow an iron without charge and I note another reviewers comment about being charged 20 euros deposit to borrow an umbrella.
We have stayed in a number of 5 star hotels in Cyprus and found this to be the only one where a number of guests openly discussed their general discontent. A pity as these things could be easily addressed and the hotel be what it perhaps once was. Certainly the staff are excellent for the most part and are a great asset to the hotel. Would I return...? Probably not, there are other hotels I would prefer to revisit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review of the Annabelle. I have passed your kind comments on to the team, which they thrive on.

It is clear we did not meet your expectations in a few areas in the Hotel, for which I am sincerely sorry about. It is not the feeling we wish our guests to have when they have chosen to stay with us.

I have passed on your feedback to our respective Managers, we have since followed up on the ambiance and design of the extended dining room, the lighting around the hotel and the food. Our approach involves consistently reviewing and enhancing our service standards, dining experience and facilities in response to talking with our guests and listening to their feedback.

I would very much like to discuss your feedback with you personally, to understand fully where we failed to meet your expectations. If you would like to, please e-mail me your contact details to mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com and I can call you, alternatively please do not hesitate to call me directly on 00357 26888735

I hope to speak to you soon

Kind Regards
Maria Christodoulou
Duty Manager

Been to The Annabelle? Share your experiences!