“Value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 25 hotels in Nicosia
Harare, Mashonaland East, Zimbabwe
“Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is one hotel that is great value for money. I stayed there for twelve nights in December to beginning of January. Staff very friendly and helpful. Clean and spacious rooms ( was in room 210). Excellent free Internet service, walkable distance to city centre. They even offer free taxi service to city centre if you don't want to walk. Quiet and safe neighborhood. The gym though needs to be revamped as the machines are obsolete. Otherwise had a great time staying there.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 4th floor. Quiet and slept well.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

All the great reviews about this hotel are true. It is a cosy place, the staff is very helpful, polite and friendly. The rooms are clean and despite the fact that they look rather old they are in good condition. Breakfast is very good, you get to order your eggs the way you want them to be served and everything is very tasty. Moreover -and that is very rare to find- the breakfast room remains open all day and night and you can eat anything that is there (biscuits, water, juices and sweets in the fridge, tea and coffee) FREE of charge! So you can have a free snack anytime you want!
The hotel is located about 2 kilometers away (roughly a 20 min walk which is not difficult to do as the city is flat) from the city center (Solomou Square) and that is perhaps the only disadvantage of the hotel, however this can also be fixed. The hotel has its own cars which can take you anywhere in the city (of course you have to make arrangements with the reception) and that is also free of charge! So no need for taxi! When we left for Limassol, a very friendly and helpful driver from Sri Lanka came and picked us up from from the hotel and drove us to Solomou Square. You can also use bus 259 which stops very close to the hotel but it is not very frequent. There are some bicycles in front of the hotel which you can use (I am not sure whether they charge for those as I didn't ask), this is also an excellent way to get around Nicosia if you have the time.
I would definetely recommend Asty Hotel for a pleasant stay.

P.S. If you want to visit the northern part of the city make sure you take your passport with you when you go for a walk up Ledra street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were in shock to find that this low priced hotel is also of low quality - - I would go so far as to say it is a dump with a foul smell in the halls. All I wanted was a quiet sleep and not to be worried about noise and safety concerns by hourly patrons making good use of the hourly rate. When I think of all the places I have stayed on Sales and Study trips - the ASTY will live forever in my mind as the one where I was fooled by head scratching reviews. At first it seemed like a run down but quiet inn - our room was a bit in disrepair but you get what you pay for. Then as night fell - noisy "couples" started to check in and out. Our shower didn't even work properly (kept going from cold to colder). The only thing good about the place was that there was cabs waiting to take me out of town and away from this place. Too bad they had to toot the horn all evening and keep us awake.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are searching for a hotel in Nicosia. Stop searching, and book the Asty Hotel. You will not regret it.

Check in was a breeze by Mr. Costa at reception. Handed me my key and showed me the snack bar, as well as handing me an invite to a barbeque been hosted by the hotel.

The room was big and comfortable, so too the bathroom. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, more expensive and better grading, but none compare to the Asty's rooms.

The barbeque was amazing. The souvla was delicious and the eating area had a wonderful aroma of the meat on the spit. There was an excellent spread of salads, rice, potatoes and pilafi (try that with yogurt!). The hotel owner, Mr. Michael was a most gracious host, mingling with the guests and ensuring everybody was comfortable and had a drink in their hand. A very socialable and friendly person. It felt like I was amongst family, not a hotel.

The next morning I needed to drive into Nicosia to deal with some famliy business. The receptionist showed me where to go on the map, and asked how I was getting there. I said by car, and she handed me a GPS/Sat Nav device, after entereing the address where I needed to be. The car rental company wanted to charge me 10 Euros per day. The hotel charged me nothing. Such a kind and wonderful touch. I used the GPS for the duration of my stay in Nicosia, and it saved me many times from getting lost.

The dining room has a coffee machine and a well stocked fridge, so you can help youreslf to coffee/tea at any time. The fridge contains snacks which you can also help youself to. And again no charge. I recommend you try the rice pudding, and I challenge you to have only one.

Wifi was available throughout the hotel, and again no charge and no limits placed on usage.

Whenever I walked into or around the hotel, I was greeted by name, and the staff would stop and have a quick chat, asking how I was and how I had spent my day. I really felt I was amongst family and friends and was treated as such.

Across the road is a bakery, if you want to try some Greek/Cypriot delights. There is also another bakery about 100 meters up the road, as well as a small supermarket for any odds and sods that you might require.

I am hoping to visit Cyprus again, sometime soon, and I will definately be staying at the Asty again.

Book this hotel, you won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Asty a few times and it continues to be excellent . It is a Cypriot family owned hotel and opened in the 1960s as the Hilarion Hotel with one story and 10 rooms. It has been regularly upgraded since then and is now a modern and very comfortable hotel. In the old tradition ,it has a lovely lounge and library for relaxing and reading , a dinning room with excellent breakfast buffet and a bar with comfortable seating. Also a gym in basement .There is free wifi in rooms that works well , satellite TV with foreign stations in English,German and Russian . There is Al Jazerra news in English and movie channels. Breakfast is excellent and included in room rate . Cereals,toast,cakes, jams, dried fruit ,yogurt, cold meats, salad and cheeses, fruit juice ,tea/coffee ,fresh fruit , & eggs,bacon,potatoes and tomatoes (freshly cooked) The Cypriot staff are all very friendly and helpful , many have worked at the hotel for many years. There are 2 excellent upmarket rooms called the Colour Room and the Zebra room , both decorated according to the name . I have been upgraded to the Zebra room which is really nice, large and comfortable.
There is a free shuttle bus into the centre of Nicosia . They can also collect you from airports in Paphos or Larnaca for a charge. Yesterday ,I booked through www.booking.com and paid only Euros45- , good value . Now and again,the hotel has a free Cyprus BBQ in the evening , BBQ chicken and pork with salad ,dips and bread, desserts and beer or wine or whisky. It is all free of charge for guests staying at the hotel ( including alcohol) and a great idea to generate repeat business. I was lucky to arrive on the free dinner evening and it was really a good meal, with 3 small beers. They also have free tea/coffee and juice with biscuits and cake all day and can arrange lunch or dinner on request (no menu ) .The hotel has a certificate of excellence from Trip Advisor for 2011 and 2012 , both hanging in the reception area. It is not the Hilton level but I can highly recommend this hotel in Nicosia. I will always use it .

Room Tip: Ask for Zebra Room or Colours Room , pay a bit more ,but fantastic decor and value .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Landstuhl, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The staff and services at the Asty were wonderful. I was treated as a valued guest. My room was clean and comfortable and the common areas were all clean and comfortable too. The breakfast was delicious and the snack/dining area was always open and well stocked for a late night or earlyu morning coffee, tea, or snack. I was taken to my destination each morning for no extra charge. The hotel has aging areas, but the ower's committment to not obligating the hotel to loans for upgrading areas such a the hall and stair ways, is an honorable committment to financial stablity. The remainer of the hotel was clean and comfortable. I will stay at the hotel Asty for all my future stays in Nicosia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Beirut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Good:
Great and Friendly Staff. Complementary Snacks and refreshments. Good Amenities in the Room. Free Bicycles Location just outside of the city center. Half Covered Car Parking just behind the hotel. Great Value for Money.

The Not So Good:
The hotel is not well indicated on google maps. However, the hotel staff was very helpful and sent somebody to drive us back to the hotel. Hotel is not in a walking distance from the Touristic City Center, however, if you have a car, or wouldn't mind using the provided bikes, it is very close. They even propose to drive you sometimes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Asty Hotel? Share your experiences!