“Nice but dated” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
athens
“Nice but dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there during a business trip. Decent rooms and normal bathroom. Could be bigger. Check in was fast and staff in the hotel nice and friendly. Very good gym one of the best for a hotel and a nice buffet breakfast. Main negative was having to pay for wifi which is borderline pathetic unless i was staying at a hostel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonParkNicosia, General Manager at Hilton Park Nicosia, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your sincere comments. It was a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the hotel's outlets and facilities.

I would like to mention that wifi is complimentary in the lobby area of the hotel to all of our guests and clients.

Thank you once again for your comments and we certainly look forward to your return visit.

The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ellicott City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights on business.

Arrived at the hotel from the airport and there was a huge line for checkin (about 10 people). Only one person working the counter. She was doing her best, but the wait still sucked.

Got to the room and it was pretty warm. Opened the windows, which cooled it down right away. Called downstairs to ask about it. Turns out that even though it was early April and daytime temps were 75 - 82 F, the heat was still turned on. The hotel had not switched from heat to AC yet. This was a bit of a problem in the morning as my East facing room would warm up to the high 80's.

I had a paid upgrade to an Executive Room, which included breakfast in the "Executive Lounge" which turned out to be nothing more than the hotel's bar. Small breakfast buffet set up in the morning with a few items, which was good enough for me. Had to ask the attendant (who seemed somewhat bothered that I interrupted his reading of the newspaper) for a knife/fork/glass, since nothing was set out -- ended up having to do this all 5 mornings I stopped by. It was only on the last day, that an attendant that I had not seen before interacted with me by asking if I wanted coffee. Don't waste your money for the upgrade.

All in all, the hotel was OK and the staff outside of the lounge were very friendly. If the location were not so close to my office, I probably would not stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any "good" views in Nicosia, so ask for a room that is not on...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for comments and for bringing the matter to my attention. A meeting was held with the staff of the Executive Lounge and we apologise for the inconvenience.

Concerning the ventilation system, the hotel provides air conditioning at the end of April in which is now operable and apologise for the discomfort.

Upon your next reservation, please ask to speak to the Front Office Manager so that he may provide your accommodation personally.

Thank you for your continuous visits and we certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Nicosia, Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have not stayed/slept at the Hilton Park Hotel, but have organised several meetings and seminars there. The service is terrible and the organisers NEVER set-up our seminar rooms or follow our plans as per our instructions. It is difficult to communicate with the staff and often find them rude and obnoxious to locals.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention concerning your seminars.

I would be more than obliged if you would contact the hotel and ask for me personally, so that we may discuss your disappointment in more detail.

We certainly look forward to a continuous colaboration and apologise if we did not meet your expectations.

Protaras, Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I booked on line for a single night with breakfast and found the Asia and Europe Promotion commencing on the day that I wanted to stay. This hotel didn't have any rooms available. Since I couldn't find out the Senior Rate age criteria, and no one at the Hotel knew either, I booked at the rack rate of EUR 158. On arrival there was a Conference under way, so the car park was full. A cordoned area was available for residents but seemed to be key pad operated, since I hadn't checked in I didn't have the code.Although not signed, I later learned that I could have pressed what looked like a lightswitch and spoken to Reception for access. i didn't know, so I drove around and around for a space. My room was about as far away from reception as any room still in the hotel could be. Luckily I am fit and didn't have much luggage. I couldn't find the minibar so didn't buy any drinks. I found it the next morning behind a wardrobe door but you didn't need to use that door to use the wardrobe and there was no sign. When I returned to the hotel in the evening, it was like a Ghost town so I didn't understand why discounted rooms according to the promotion, were not available. I thought that i should go and have dinner. I was informed that the restaurant was closed but that I could sit in the lounge and eat something. No sooner had I sat down when lots of people went into the restaurant for dinner. The explantion was that 'they were a group'!!! No information about the closures which are apparently frequent was given on booking or checking in. I ordered some wine, it didn't arrive. I asked again. apparently of the six or so wines on the list, this one was not available, but I was not informed on ordering and to have one from a list of six, not available is unforgiveable. When I came to check out, there were some new arrivals so I had to wait a little. The Lady apparently in charge was extremely curt and quite unpleasant to other staff on the desk, one of whom was trying to explain to her that an about to be allocated room was showing as unserviced on the computer system. There was some work going on in an adjacent room and one of the workmen was calling out to this Lady in Charge, when it was quite obvious that she was busy. When my credit card was in the terminal for payment, I was watching it operate and the terminal was snatched away from in front of my face without a word. If you find yourself in Nicosia, just don't bother with this one, it may say 'Hilton' on the door and charge a 'Hilton' rate, but its just a plain rip off and way below any reasonably expected standard from this chain. I spoke to one of the Managers in the pm and you just know nothing will be done to change anything for the better. I was offered a free glass of wine, which I didn't take. How was this going to resolve the poor standards of the hotel? There is no care for the customer or professional forethought. Wine is going to fix this - I don't think so!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel to stay in
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonParkNicosia, General Manager at Hilton Park Nicosia, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you would re-consider your next stay with us so that we can prove our loyal hospitality. Please contact the hotel's Front Office Manager so that he may handle your accommodation personally.

We certainly look forward to your return visit and we apologise for the inconvenience.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

To start with, we were pleased with the early check in facility they provided us at 6.30am instead of waiting until 14:00.
But after that things started to go wrong completely.

The hotel has very nice Decor Outside, and in the room we were given, it felt as if it was outdated and dating some like 1990's.

A/C not functional, they have us east facing room and as soon as the sun was out, it started to get hotter and hotter. It was 26 degrees by 11am. We asked for A/C to be functional or moved to another room, considering off-peak time, they had plenty of other rooms empty, they did not. They said, its winter time in Cyprus and A/C's were switched off and cannot turn them on? Why was the advertise saying A/C rooms then???

The King Room that we were given had a whole table unit missing, seems to me, we were given a room which was not meant to be for other guests either.

We asked for a fan to be put in the room at 11am, and they gave it to us around 6pm in evening.

They have Swimming pools, but they said we cannot use them as they are only available from May to October. Once again false advertisement.

We missed our breakfast, so we asked for some simple toast, jam, butter and coffee , they said we will charge you, I was happy to pay.
They served us Stale (Fungus) bread for breakfast. What type of service is this? I asked the person serving, she said ohh sorry, someone must have served the wrong bread which was left outside and not to be served.
Then for their kindness, she said, I am not going to charge you for the breakfast. (you think, I would pay for it).

Well, for Hilton quality, I do not expect this behaviour.

Stefanos, the receptionist was very kind, and he helped us make necessary changes to our booking, based on our experience, and later on the reservations manager contacted us and said we cannot change any booking.

When we said, cancel our booking, they said, you have to pay 132Euros for Booking.com cancellation fees, and additional 132Euros for the room. I said I am walking out of this hotel, do what you want to do, they conveniently said, that we have your card details we will charge you the full amount of reservations.

We had to argue with the Reservations Manager (Elena Elpidoforou), and eventually after a lot of hassle, they agreed to charge one day's booking.

We booked Hilton for 3 main reasons:

1) The brand Hilton, same quality everywhere
2) A/C rooms
3) Swimming Pool (so that we can stay at the hotel and enjoy some luxury after work on Friday and Saturday).

Ideally, for such a thing I should not have even paid anything and walked out, but I did pay for what I had used.

When we asked for the hotel (general) manager, they said, the manager is away until Monday (how convenient is that?).

Never again......

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel unless they confirm that AC and swimming pool are operational.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonParkNicosia, General Manager at Hilton Park Nicosia, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments and for bringing the matter to my attention.

I have looked into all matters and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

I would like to mention that air conditioning is operable during the summer months and heating during the winter months, hence the air conditioning will be available at the end of April.

Please bear in mind that there is no off-peak season for our hotel, as it is fully operational all year round, hence my staff would have been highly obliged to change your room immediately upon availability.

I am sincerely sorry I was unable to attend to your situation as I was out of the office on that day.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again to our hotel and to meet you personally upon your next visit to Cyprus.

Thank you.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

It is unacceptable that in 2014 the Hilton charges for internet access in the bedrooms! Any Good Quality hotel, even 2 and 3 star, provides free internet. The prices charged by the Nicosia Hilton are ridiculously high, for something which should be free. It is time the Hilton joined the modern age and understood that that internet is a free service!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

It was a pleasure to accommodate you in our hotel and we have taken note of your comment concerning the internet service. We do, of course, provide complimentary service in the lobby area of the hotel to all of our accommodating guests.

Thank you for your review and we certainly look forward to your return.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

A very good hotel with excellent staff who could not be more helpful. Very nice food, rooms and facilities. Only down-sides are rather expensive in room WiFi and it is quite a long way from the City Centre (10 Euro taxi ride or you can use the bus that runs past the hotel for 1.50 Euros)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your stay at our hotel.

I would like to mention that wifi is complimentary in the lobby area of the hotel to all of our accommodating guests. I would also like to mention that new projects are in store within the hotel in the future.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you again and hope you have the chance to visit us during the summer months to enjoy our outdoor facilities.

The General Manager

Been to Hilton Park Nicosia? Share your experiences!