“Best hotel in Cyprus” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 25 hotels in Nicosia
Munich, Germany
“Best hotel in Cyprus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very nice hotel with a nice outdoor pool, good breakfast and nice rooms. The old part is rather old fashioned and could do with some renovation. The hotel has many festivities and is where all the celebrities stay, e.g. Last year Real Madrid was there during my stay. Wifi is only free in the lounge, otherwise extemely expensive (15 Euro per day). Service is very friendly.

Stayed June 2013
mragheb, General Manager at Hilton Cyprus, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review of our hotel, which is very much appreciated.

We were pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were satisfied generally with the services and amenities provided.

The hotel was upgraded in many key areas during the year 2010 and 2011, with the guest rooms undergoing a general refreshment and furnishings being put in plan for the future. Due to the detrimental financial climate that Cyprus, now find itself in after the Troika bail-in, all upgrades have been postponed further.

Admittedly, our prices are somewhat higher than Europe in general, however, we do try to keep them as competitive as possible and in line with other 5* hotels on the island. However, the guest room Internet prices (hourly and 2 hourly) have been lowered in favour of our guests, as of 1st April and this is a free service to all Hilton HHonors, Gold & Diamond members, worldwide. Free WIFI is available in all our public areas, food & beverage outlets, outdoor pool area and Hiltonia Club.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Cyprus, in the very near future.

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
Zürich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed there 3 nights and definitely enjoyed it. It is an old building but the rooms were recently renovated. The personnel is very helpful and friendly and the large swimming pool is a big plus. However the swimming pool gets rather crowded on the weekends and we had to wait for a sunbed to become free. In addition, wifi is free only in common places and costs 15 euro per day to have wifi in the room. I was expecting the hotel to cost less but I guess Cyprus is not as cheap as I thought.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
mragheb, General Manager at Hilton Cyprus, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your most constructive review.

We were pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our amenities were to your overalll satisfaction, although the outdoor pool was somewhat busy.

With reference to the guest room Internet, the prices (hourly and 2 hourly) have been lowered in favour of our guests, as of 1st April and the Internet service is free to all Hilton HHonors, Gold & Diamond members, worldwide. Also, free WiFi Internet, is available in all our public areas, food & beverage outlets, outdoor pool area and Hiltonia Club.

Admittedly, our prices are somewhat higher than Europe in general, however, we do try to keep them as competitive as possible compared to the local market and in line with other 5* hotels on the island.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I drove to the hotel, and managed to find a space in the overflow carpark at the top behind a small petrol station and taxi rank despite the barriers being up and the carpark indicator explaining it was full. The very friendly check-in staff explained this was okay and the parking was free. It would have been useful for a small A4 prinout sign to be placed near the payment machines to explain this as I did walk around for five minutes to try and establish how and if I should may.

Check-in was swift, efficient and pleasant. The staff pointed out that my HHonours account number wasn't registered and would I like to join the scheme, as a member they swiftly added my number to the account, I guess it was protocol, but a useful heads up to ensure the points were added.

The room was of a similar Hilton standard to most properties I've stayed in with the same expectations of comfort of a Hilton, especially the bed and thread count. Some people on TA mentioned it was tired in the room, it was not a modern refurb; but more than perfectly acceptable for the chains standard rooms.

Breakfast was the standard Hilton fayre with the healthy option counter, again I really could not fault.

The drinks were slightly more expensive at the bar (9.50 euro for a cocktail); however I decided to explore down town. It is a 30 minute walk or a 6-7euro taxi fare into the old town. There is actually a taxi rank office just up the small slope in front of the hotel entrance where the overflow carpark is, I'm sure the Hilton staff would also call one for you, I'm just a little more independent.

I also had room service, at one point during my stay, again I couldn't fault, very nice food, good portions and excellent service.

Wireless was expensive at 15 euro; however as the hotel management keeps pointing out to TA members making the point, it is about the same for the island. The free reception wireless is very poor, speeds and coverage are not the same as the paid for wireless. It would be nice to get wireless around the pool area at a good speed, but I am just a bit of a geek and should be doing some more laps.

In my mind, a very much typical Hilton from experiences across Europe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
mragheb, General Manager at Hilton Cyprus, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your most detailed and constructive review on Trip Advisor, which is truly appreciated.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the 'ease of parking'. Regretfully, the limited number of parking spaces available, does become congested when there are large banquet events, taking place within the hotel.

Nevertheless, we were very happy to see that the majority of our services and amenities met your high expectations and was to your overall satisfaction, thus making your stay with us an enjoyable one.

With reference to the guest room Internet service provided as from 1st April, specifically the hourly and 2 hourly charges have been lowered in favour of our guests (excluding Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members who receive this as a benefit). The €15.00 charge mentioned is for 24 hour access. Free WiFi Internet is available in all our public areas, food & beverage outlets, Hiltonia Club and also includes the outdoor pool area.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Cyprus, in the very near future.
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Hilton Cyprus is an excellent hotel for both business and leisure travellers. Well located in the center of the town and only 45 minutes from Larnaca International Airport. The staff is well trained and very willing to serve the guests. The executive rooms are large offering a balcony, sliding patio door windows and executive lounge access with free breakfast and refreshments. The conference rooms offer state-of-the-art technology and excellent internet connection. Wifi is free at the lobby, but you have to pay in the rooms....
Wedding receptions around the pool are phantastic, as I had the opportunity to see one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mragheb, General Manager at Hilton Cyprus, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your most sincere and constructive review of our hotel, which is very much appreciated.

We were pleased to see that your stay with us was to your high expectations and that our services and amenities were also to your satisfaction.

Weddings are a very big social event in Cyprus and are inherent in the culture.

northumberland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here for business for one week in early June. Staff were welcoming and my room on the 7th floor faced North towards the city with OK view. The hotel is aimed at business travellers and wealthy tourists. Facilities were OK and food was above average but not excellent. My comment related to how epensive it was to buy stuff in the hotel. 6 euros for a small bottle of water, 5 euros for a coffee and 7 euros for a beer. Easy to get to get to from airport and 20mins from town. Free self parking can be difficult if there are functions at the Hilton. Air conditioning very effective and needs to be very low during night or you'll freeze at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review and we were pleased to see that our team members made you feel ‘at home’.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience the ease of parking may have caused. Regretfully, parking areas always have limited space available and this does on occasion, become congested when there are large banquet events, or weddings, taking place within the hotel.

Your comments regarding the air conditioning have been noted and passed on to our Chief Engineer, for his attention.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the Hilton Cyprus, once again, upon your return.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is still the best in town, the staff is very friendly and makes you feel welcome when you arrive. The executive lounge became not very exciting this time and the internet did not work. Breakfast was okay and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mragheb, General Manager at Hilton Cyprus, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your most constructive review of our hotel, which we truly appreciate.

We were pleased to see that the Hilton team, were able to make you feel welcome and were of assistance to you. It is also most pleasing to see that you rate the Hilton Cyprus, as the ‘best in town’.

The Executive Lounge is operated as per the Hilton Worldwide Brand Standards.

Please accept our apologies regarding the issue with the Internet. Had you advised the Front Desk at the time, they would have been happy to contact our IT Manager, to sort this out for you.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was disappointed with this hotel compared with other Hilton hotels and give it 2.5 stars because:

1. due to its location you really need a car - it is a good 20 mins walk from the edge of the city centre (slightly uphill) and public transport is not too frequent. The problem is that parking was often taken up by people visiting the hotel for meetings etc and finding a parking space was sometimes rather difficult - people were parking on double yellow lines at the entrance to the hotel on a busy road and it was not enforced and a number of spaces were reserved for taxis and a hire car company - all a bit chaotic really (minus 0.5 of a point for this).

2. breakfast was not as good as my experience of excellent breakfasts in Hiltons elsewhere (Prague, Berlin...). The selection wasn't as extensive as other Hiltons and the service wasn't great - again it was a bit chaotic - it was only on the third morning that we were told that there were other choices which could be cooked fresh for us, staff didn't seem on the ball (asked for hot water and was given orange juice), and on one occasion came back from the buffet to find someone else at my table! (minus 0.5 of a point for this)

3. it seems that guests have to fit around other people - the outdoor pool was closed early for functions and 3 out of the 4 times I tried to use the indoor pool I couldn't because an aqua-aerobics class came in and asked me to move out of the way! In my opinion, if facilities are provided for guests then they should have a reasonable expectation that they can use them. The facilities weren't great either - when I nosily looked to see what had been thrown on top of the lockers there was thick dirt, and shower gel was left to run out without being filled up (minus 0.5 of a point for this)

4. on check-out I was presented with a bill for things I hadn't taken from the mini bar! When I contested this I got quite a frosty reaction from the clerk and it all felt rather uncomfortable (minus 0.5 of a point for this).

5. expensive in-room WiFi. Come on Hilton, it's the 21st Century! Why do guests have to pay €15 for internet access in their rooms when it is free in the reception area? Isn't it time you made WiFi available freely for everyone? (minus 0.5 of a point for this)

Before I went I saw lots of reviews saying that rooms were tired etc and needed redecorating. Yes they are old fashioned but I can't say I was that bothered - my room was clean and comfortable, there was a kettle (albeit refills of milk etc were hit and miss) and a mini bar / fridge to keep drinks cold. The only issue was lots of noise from doors banging etc but my room was near the lifts so it might have been due to high traffic. The ground floor area was nice, looks like it has been recently refurbished, and the outdoor pool area is pleasant and a good place to sit outdoors.

There's not an awful lot in the local area but there is a shopping centre with a supermarket, fast food restaurants, clothes shops etc about five minutes' drive to the south, and the town centre is about five minutes' drive to the north for shops, restaurants, sightseeing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed and constructive review of our hotel. Feedback from our guests is always very much appreciated.

1. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience the ‘ease of parking’ may have caused. Regretfully, parking areas always have limited space available and this does on occasion, become congested when there are large banquet events, or weddings, taking place within the hotel. Although, security services are hired, when we have large weddings or a number of events in-house, unfortunately, not everyone will adhere to their requests.

2. The Breakfast Buffet available at the Hilton Cyprus, is as per Hilton’s Worldwide Brand standards. A breakfast a la carte menu is also available at no extra charge, whereby omelettes, fried egg, bacon, sausage etc. can be prepared and served at no additional cost. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have suitable facilities to be able to prepare these breakfast items in the restaurant.

3. We must agree,that weddings by the Pool can be somewhat of an inconvenience to our resident guests, but there is a great demand for this which we do try to keep to a minimum, with the majority being held indoors. Weddings are a very big social event in Cyprus and are inherent in the culture. Aqua aerobic classes are held in the Indoor pool for an hour in the mornings and an hour in the evening and they only use the half-section of the pool, so that other guests can have access to the remaining half. The Hiltonia Health Club is open Mondays –Saturdays, from 06:00 – 22:00 hours and on Sundays from 10:00 – 18:00 hours.
Our Housekeeping department has been alerted and will ensure better care is taken.

4. Admittedly when guests check-out back to back and Room Service does not have adequate time to check, erroneous charges for the mini-bar can be made from time-to-time, however, these are usually corrected immediately.

5. The guest room Internet is a standard benefit (free of charge) for Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members staying at all Hilton Worldwide properties. All details pertaining to this can be found on the Hilton website, should this be of interest to you. The guest room Internet prices, namely hourly and 2 hours Internet use prices, were lowered in favour of the guests, as of 1st April, 2013.

The hotel was upgraded in many key areas during the year 2010 and completed in 2011, with the guest rooms undergoing a general refreshment. However, there is always a limit to the funds available and furnishings were put in plan for the future. Regretfully, all upgrades have been postponed for the time being, since no one could foresee the detrimental financial climate that Cyprus, would find itself in, after the Troika bail-in.

We were sorry to see that your stay with us on this occasion, did not meet all your expectations and our ultimate aim is to have happy and satisfied guests who will return, time after time.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Cyprus in the near future.

Been to Hilton Cyprus? Share your experiences!