“nice but little expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Golden Tulip Nicosia Hotel and Casino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dereboyu Street, Nicosia, Cyprus   |
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Nicosia
Ankara, Turkey
“nice but little expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had stayed there for 3 days. It is calm and foods are fresh. I enjoyed it however, it is little expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We visited here shortly in April 2010 but had still time to get a very neat, clean and modern impression of the hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and staff was helpful. Nothing to complain about the breakfast either. If you are in a need of comfortable and tidy hotel in Nicosia, Golden Tulip hotel is a safe choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Hotel was very nice location was'nt too bad was on the main leading road of all the restaurants shops, & bars.
Staff were fab treated my husband & I really well to a personal level one of the staff knew it was my husbands birthday and surprised him at breakfast with a birthday tune played in the background & a very yummy birthday cake was so thoughtful & kind gesture on their behalf.

there is also a casino in the hotel not bad although were not gamblers even for fun. but nice place if thers a match going on you can watch it there on a huge screen.

swimming pool was the icing on the cake although was been refurbed while we were there but due to be open real soon even a beautiful little venue for possible a wedding or party by the pool area..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

After travelling from Pafos and booking the Hilton Cyprus so we could have a casino night we were very let down with the Golden Tulip. The casino was helpful enough to send a car to pick us up which was very kind of them.

However upon entering the casino, no ID was taken and we were shown in. (Not a problem as I was dreading filling in the usual forms, just a bit unusual) Anyway the entrance opens into the middle of the floor and you are immediately greeted by what is a nice looking casino with some unique features.

In my party was myself my brother and some attractive women, clearly the casinos are not normally utilised by tourists as the turkish patrons made it obvious they were not happy to see us here. The girls were leered at in a very seedy and degrading way and felt very uncomfortable, one man followed them to a table and just stood there leering at them for 5 minutes before heading back to his seat. The casino was also filled with smoke and it wasnt long before my eyes were watering.

The chips are controlled very strictly here. I had lost my wallet and my brother gave me a loan of a couple hundred euros, upon going to the cashier desk to change this into cash I was subjected to an almost police style investigation into where I got these chips and my brother was contacted to ensure he did infact give them to me.

I then went to the slot machines and started playing, quite a good variety of machines here and I found one I liked and got comfortable, the drinks are free of charge aslong as your at a table and I ordered Jack Daniels and diet coke. I can 100% assure you that what I was drinking was not Jack Daniels and Cola, it was drinkable but very bitter and after a few glasses of this apparent Jack Daniels I felt completely plastered.

The girls arent into gambling and just wanted to sit and have a few cocktails, they went to the seated area and asked for some drinks and were advised they could not serve them drinks and asked them to leave the seated area. The girls came across to us and told us they couldnt get drink, I asked the manager if the girls could have drinks and he told us rather unhospitably "not unless they are playing". I informed him only me and my brother are here to gamble and could we please have drinks for the girls and we were willing to pay for him, he still refused.

At this point I had had enough, I set the girls up on a machine, put 10 euros in each and told them to spin the minimum bet every 3/4 minutes and just have a news and ensure the waiters bring drinks. This went on for another 20 minutes before the stinging of the eyes, choking of the throught, terrible customer service and feeling out of place got to me and we decided to indulge in the free food and leave.

Upon leaving we asked for a return car home, turns out they check to see if you have lost enough money before providing a car, a calculator was brought out and a conversation held with a manager before they agreed to provide a return car back to the hotel.

Overall this is a nicely decorated casino with a variety of games, however the knock-off drinks, thug like management, smoke filled environment and seedy turkish men who don't know how to act around attractive women just make this place a horrible night out.

I would advise any tourist to avoid this place at all costs, theres nothing at all enjoyable about going to this casino.
The casino kindly offered to

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is a real 4 stars hotel with all the comfort and amenities one desires and expects. The balance between quality/price is unbeatable. Definitely THE place to stay in Lefkosa.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Nanoose Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011 via mobile

It was great but because they allow smoking in the casino and it carries over to the restaurants, I won't go there again. Too bad because the rooms are fantastic

• Stayed October 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The hotel is on the Turkish side of the island (Lefkosa). The Turkish side is still divided by a boarder post and is quite less developed than Cyprus. Crossing the boarder with a taxi is very difficult since most taxi drivers won't be allowed to enter Nicosia with their taxis. So you're dropped at the border and there it's "help yourself" (e.g. ask police to call a taxi which they'll eventually actually do).
If you don't speak Turkish it can be a trip into the unknown. Most at the reception speak decent English. Every other area though (and that includes Room Service Telephone, Security and Waiters) hardly speak any English. The most annoying rule is that they don't allow you to enter a bottle of water or any food into the hotel (if security catches it's confiscated). This includes some sweets as well. So when you pass the metal detector and have something in your pocket it's like smuggling...Feels more like a paid prison than a self proclaimed 5 star hotel.. To be fair their hotel food is decently priced and good (so is the breakfast). But if you stay a while you might get sick of their limited food options. Since the hotel is a bit in the outskirts a decent restaurant is a 10min walk beside waste bins, broken pavements etc.
The rooms are clean and decent size. TV program is apart from CNN only Turkish. Very strange again considering the wealth of English TV channels you get at any given 3 or 4 star hotel on the Cyprus side.
The Hotel has a Casino inside which attracts some shady guests (some of the women look professional..haven't seen any of their bags screened...).
The internet speed is decent and Internet is free. The wireless reception is depending on your room location though (in ours it vanishes often - a cable helps).
Cleaning clothes took 2 days and a inquiry call (which had to be translated first) before it got delivered..

Overall the people are actually very friendly and try their best - obviously within their limits. Seems they believe their market is Turkey and that's what they cater to (although I believe you get better 5 star's in Turkey with more relaxed rules).

I'm putting the overall rating to only 2 since I hope that someone from Golden Tulip management actually reads this. The customer is not king here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Tulip Nicosia Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!