Even though I had booked a 1 bed room at the Atlantica Oasis hotel and had it on my confirmation and even rang Thomas cook customer services number and emailed the hotel before hand just to confirm the booking and room type booked and confirm we were definitely in the hotel as I went onto trip adviser and read the horror stories of people arriving to the hotel and being shoved in a vile apartment block I wanted to be sure that this wouldn’t happen to us.
But when we arrived at the hotel late evening, it was absolutely bedlam in hotel reception area and general chaos and we found the hotel main entrance and foyer flooded and full of water, as apparently the water feature had broken.
We were then informed by the hotel staff on checking in that in fact we had also been put into these Oasis Gardens apartments away from the hotel about 500m away -across 3 busy roads with traffic. No welcome drink was provided for us and after flying and it being late at night and being extremely tired, we then had to lug our entire luggage over to these apartments as no porter service was offered to help with the luggage.
But when I made the booking I booked the Atlantica oasis hotel, and it didn’t state anywhere you might end up in the apartments if the hotel is full and it shows no pictures of the studios/apartments in the brochure or on the website.
We were given our keys for the apartment and given instructions how to find it but we were given a shock as this was supposed to be a 4 star holiday -but which on opening the door to the apartment it was an unrated (i.e. zero star) section of the hotel we were really disappointed with the room as were expecting a modern room the same as the hotel which we had booked and which it shows on the web page and in the brochure.
Also when we finally got to the hotel at 11.00pm I was fuming after all the messing about we were told we had just missed the restaurant and couldn’t even get anything to eat, so we both had been traveling all afternoon and had had nothing to eat all day and were starving and we couldn’t even get anything to eat until the next morning and we had to go to bed starving hungry!
No sandwiches or food was offered and when we asked we got given one sandwich between us to share and it was warm, hard and stale so w chucked it in the bin.
We complained to the hotel staff including the manager but there was nothing that they could do and there was no rep to contact when we got to the hotel at 11.00pm so we were advised by the hotel to go to bed and the next morning to speak to the rep and sort it out.
It seems that it's a regular occurrence for people to get put into substandard rooms at the gardens.
(Accommodation and Room):
We booked two weeks 4* All inclusive at the ‘Atlantica Oasis hotel’ in a 1 bed room and what we got was a self catering apartment in the ‘Moldavian embassy!! With a small poor room of poor quality that was very tired, outdated was a very low high standard, the decor in the room had the distinct appearance of something out of the 50s. And it was in a noisy residential area 10 mins walk away from the main hotel across 3 roads, so every time we wanted to use the hotel amenities we had to walk all the way over there in the blazing heat and back again -several times a day.
The place needs refurbishment as the rooms were all outdated, and needed a lot of work doing to them. The front of the hotel was also falling away from the main building so it wasn’t structurally safe or up to health and safety regulations and was a hazard.
The room, corridors and the whole building was old, filthy, and shoddy and below any standard recognized, it was smelly, shabby, grotty, and unclean and there we even had dirty old mats at the door.
Our room wasn’t cleaned properly for a very long time and the cleanliness of the room was zero and the standard of accommodation of appalling.
On entering our room, we were greeted with the smell of stale cigarette smoke, mould, damp, dusty, dirty and generally unclean.
• There was cracks in all the walls, the paint was peeling off the walls and chipped.
• The walls were marked and stained with splashes of food and drinks.
• The doors inside needed painting and the door handles were missing with just holes in them.
• There were cobwebs, thick dust and mould.
• Filthy dirty carpets with stains of doubtful origin, iron burns, and thick layer of dust.
• The carpets are frayed in places and are a trip hazard.
• The curtains were filthy with stains and mould marks on them and had holes in them.
• Chairs and other furniture that had been repainted at some stage and now were chipped and very old.
• There was nail varnish and makeup and other marks all over the mirrors, bath and desk.
• There was food and marks everywhere including all up the table legs, over the table, sink, and surfaces all around the apartment.
• We had some loose wiring hanging by the balcony.
• Also the electric plug socket in our room was hanging out of the wall
• Bare exposed wires coming out of the wall; this really is a health and safety hazard.
• Air-con broken and not working for the whole week we were in there despite complaining every day and it was extremely noisy and kept us awake every night and was pouring dirty smelly water out and onto the floor –and the whole air con box was thick with dirt, dust, mould and lime scale which is dangerous and health and safety hazard and we could of got legionnaires disease.
• We had kitchen facilities that were unusable, the cooker, fridge and toaster was filthy dirty and not working and the seal around the fridge was torn and harboring bacteria and mould.
• The sofa had a very old, dirty and ripped blanket over it that smelt.
• The wardrobe sliding door was broken and wouldn’t slide.
• The patio door wouldn’t lock which yet again wasn’t very safe.
• The safe was broke, so we couldn’t use it to store our money and valuables.
• There was a bare brick wall in the cupboard under the sink.
• The divan beds and mattresses were tired, worn and been there many years; the base was ripped torn and broken.
• The bedding (pillows/sheets and throw on the bed) were grey and worn, were filthy dirty with stains and marks, smelt disgusting. We slept clothed on top of the covers as we didn’t want to sleep with them touching our skins.
• Single beds that were different heights and the most uncomfortable beds
• The TV was held on the wall with a ratchet strap and the TV aerial did not work.
• First adventure into the bathroom was greeted by an infestation of ants.
• The bathroom smelt strongly of stale urine and damp and dirty.
• Filthy dirty and moldy tiles and around the bath.
• The bathroom floor was dirty with thick black dirt in the corners.
• When we arrived the white bathroom towels were grubby, had marks and stains on them, and were ripped, frayed and torn.
• The hand basin was cracked and there was a chip in the bottom of the bath
• The toilet was loose on the floor and the cistern was not attached to the wall at all and the toilet bowl moved.
• The toilet flush handle was also filthy and covered in thick lime scale.
• The bath/shower taps were filthy with thick mould and rust.
• The hairdryer was dirty and black and didn’t work.
• The hot water in the sink did not work.
• There was no hot water pressure for the shower and no hot water in a morning and on one occasion we wanted a shower and had no hot water until the next day.
• A very scary thing was noticed the instant I walked into the bathroom. Midway along the wall over the bath and in full range of the spray from the shower was an electric "On / off" switch. This could have been fatal if water sprayed onto it.
• In the entire time we stayed there the grubby carpet was not vacuumed once and 3 days out of 7 no cleaning or bed making was attempted at all and this left us with yesterdays mucky towels to use again.
• Our room was that filthy we didn’t unpack our case and just lived out of it and just getting out the clothes we needed otherwise our clothes would of got dirty and smelt.
• The facilities at the gardens are nowhere near are as good as the hotel we booked, there is just a horrible dirty bar and filthy swimming pool, and to use the facilities or eat and drink at the hotel we had a long walk of about 10 mins across 3 roads in the heat to access them-so we missed out on using them and we were meant to be all inclusive as we couldn’t be bothered to be going backwards and forwards to the hotel in the hot sunshine when we were meant to be in the hotel and would of only had to walk downstairs.
• There was also only one lift at the apartments for the whole block, and it kept being out of order and we ha to keep taking the stairs up 6 flights of stairs to the 3rd floor and down 6 flights of stairs to come back downstairs which is unacceptable –what would of happened if we have had a mobility difficulty or disability?
(Area and beach):
In the brochure and on the website it states in an ideal location, close to the beautiful shingle beach and located centrally in the centre of Limossol but it’s a short taxis ride to Limossol old town -but the hotels on the far end of the town nowhere near the centre -its 30 mins by taxis (costing 12 euros) or 30 mins on a bus from the main centre.
Being our first visit to Cyprus I was totally gutted, we were in the midst of a concrete jungle with nothing to entertain us and after visiting other parts I wish I'd chosen one of them, but if you read the Thomas cook brochure it tells you Limassol is one of the main tourist areas with lots of life. Rubbish!!
The location was disappointing, the main road that ran along side the hotel was rather noisy and this was sometimes late into the night
The hotel is on a main road and it was very fast and not easy to cross, you would think being a main road through the town they would try to slow the traffic.
Immediate area outside the hotel is awful, streets dirty, and holes in pavements.
The hotel is pretty much in a wasteland where there are about 3 shops loaded with cheap overpriced tat for the tourists.
The only thing to do at night is walk up and down a busy dusty main road, with run down building on and we felt institutionalized by the end of 2 weeks.
For us one of the important things when deciding on the holiday is the sea and beach, and the beach near to the hotel was awful and almost non existent , there is not a proper beach, its just a small black sand cove, the area is a little shabby, dirty, messy full of fag ends and bits of rubbish and also a lot of broken glass bottles..
- And it definitely was not within a 5 min walking distance as advertised in the 30 plus degree heat.
Limassol is not great for nightlife, shopping - or things to do generally - but the Nags Head pub across the road has nightly karaoke...which might be your idea of heaven or hell.
The one pool in the garden was filthy with dirty scum marks around the edge of the pool where it hasn’t been cleaned properly and there were loose tiles around the pool which was dangerous and a hazard.
Around the pool area was filthy and rubbish around, and the pool toilets were discussing and dirty, had urine on the floor and smelt badly.
The pool also had plastic bottles and cups floating around in the pool, which didn’t look very nice and wasn’t very clean.
Parts of the poolside area would be cleaned with detergent by staff in the evening but we were alarmed the see the whole lot simply rinsed away into the pool.
The adults pool over at the Oasis looked quite nice and quiet but we never in the two weeks managed to get a lounger however early we got there as there were only about 20 loungers for the whole hotel!! And the pool was very tiny; it needed to be bigger with the amount of customers they have staying at the hotel.
But that was the only pool for adults and we had to sit round the family pool with loads of screaming kids running around.
We went to the main hotel for food and had to 'line up' outside for a table for both evening meal and breakfast. Extremely noisy with loads of kids running around.
The snacks in the snack bar were only limited and we could only have certain things unless we paid for it, and the staff were that slow and useless we had to wait 20 mins to be served then nearly 50 mins for our drink to arrive.
The procedure to get drinks at pool bar was just a hassle you have to give your room number, then sign a receipt and then join another queue to be served and get your order.
(Bars at hotel):
The adults only Zeta bar was nice but only had entertainment on twice a week which was a out of tune singer, it could of done with a good singer every night or at least play music in there for people to listen to.
Staff at the bars were not very efficient especially in the bars they were really slow, and you had to wait ages to be served and to get a drink.
Daytime entertainment was ok, not great but it was more orientated towards the children.
Evening entertainment was similar, not great and aimed just at the children again, it needed to be more adult orientated after the kid’s entertainment finished but they continued to keep just the kids entertained and parents that just let their kids just running riot over all the chairs and on the stage up to when it finished at 12am.
The evening entertainment was the same every night with the hotel entertainment team singing the same songs it was very repetitive cabaret style with singing/ miming, more variety of entertainment was needed and the performances were unrehearsed, unprofessional and lots of mistakes made. There wasn’t anything Cypriot the whole time we were there not even a Cypriot night or Cypriot dancing.
It was very overcrowded and packed with small children so probably ideal for parents with small children which were not what we wanted. We deliberately went out of season to miss the rush of children and we found that we were inundated with lots of small children which is really annoying.
But in the brochure it states suitable for all ages especially couples but it definitely wasn’t suitable for couple of any age group as it’s purely a family friendly hotel so it should state this in the brochure as yet again its false advertisement.
With concerns to my complaint I spoke to Emanuel, Marianne and Adonis plus several other members of staff at reception but then I took it future and saw the hotels customer relations manager (Anthi) but she wasn’t very helpful, and advised us there was nothing she could do as the hotel was full so we couldn’t be moved to another room. But kept telling me to come back everyday at 12pm and she would check the availability but each day I would sit in reception for hours to be told ‘No’ there’s no availability today come back tomorrow and she just wasted my time.
She just told us it was out of her control, and it was down to our tour operator Thomas Cook.
It only due to my persistence and perseverance that eventually on the second week we eventually got moved, but the 1st room we got showed was the same as the room we had been stopping in and was a insult to even show it to us, which apparently was the only room she had available in the whole complex of any room type (even though a lot of people had gone home)!!
I then demanded to speak to the customer relations manager and the head of house keeping and went through everything that was wrong with the room and demanded that they moved us to another room and refused to move from reception until they did –as we’d already spent a week of our holiday in this vile disgusting and dangerous, against all regulations room from hell. They then came over to have a look at the room themselves and all of a sudden they magic a room and found a room available in the hotel and we got moved –so why couldn’t they of done that in the 1st place why it take this for them to move us?.
The staff in general were very pleasant but not very helpful and definitely not very efficient especially in the bars or snack bars, they were really slow, and in the restaurant more staff were needed because the ones they had were slow, couldn’t remember your drinks order of just two drinks and kept dropping everything including glasses and plates on the floor.
Disappointed with Thomas cook reps we attempted to resolve this problem in resort by contacting the representative immediately at the welcome meeting at 10am the following morning, but he was unable to resolve the matter and did not yield much success –just a robot model answer just like the training manual says.
I then checked the board of when he was going to be at the hotel and saw him on 6 occasions to let him know we were extremely unhappy and wanted to be moved, but we were advised we couldn’t move as there was no availability but he didn’t even bother to check with reception.
He told us there was nothing he could do and told us to complain when we got home, with no apology made. No resolution was offered and your representative at the resort had every opportunity to correct the problem and put things right, but this proved fruitless and nothing was done.
We spent two days sat in the apartment room waiting for him to get back to us which he didn’t bother to do, and it was only because I walked down to reception and managed to catch him on the airport duty to the hotel in the evening that I managed to speak to him… which is really bad customer service as out of decency he could of rang the room to let us know.
The rep we spoke to was Dan [--] who was one of the Thomas cook resort representatives he was most unhelpful and uninterested in our complaint and didn’t have any idea of the job at all - Classic we've had your cash now tough!
The reps are there to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible and be there to deal with any complaints or problems you may have that arise whilst you’re on holiday.
But he did nothing to rectify the problems, and he was least helpful and understanding and he certainly didn’t make our holiday special. He was also most rude and abrupt, and also he was very un-professional as when I calmly made my complaint to him and explained we were unhappy and the reasons why he got all defensive and started to get high rate and angry!!
I took him straight to the room to show him the room for himself and so he knew we wasn’t just lying or exaggerating and we also took pictures of the room as proof.
I then demanded to speak to his manager and Margaret came to the hotel to speak to us she was a bit more helpful but still wasn’t able to sort anything out, we asked to move rooms over to the hotel, we asked to move hotels to another one on the island or we asked to be booked onto the next flight home if nothing could be done as we were that unhappy and upset. But we got told we couldn’t move rooms as the hotel was full (but one of them rooms was what we’d booked and paid for), we couldn’t move hotel as there was only the one which had, had bad comments and was still only a 3* and we would have to incur more charges -when we had paid enough as it was and we wanted what we had booked and paid for or a like for like equivalent with no extra charge.
But she also arranged to meet me the following day in reception at 10am to try and see what she could sort out and I rushed up, had breakfast and got there on time to be told by Dan she had forgotten!! This isn’t very professional or very good service is it?
There was also no Rep on coach back to airport either, we just got herded onto the mini bus and off we went on our own to the airport.
To be honest because of all the hassle and stress we just wanted to get on the next plane and come home as we had had enough and it ruined our entire two week holiday… we were very distressed, upset and emotional and I spent every day in tears.
The hotel staff and reps were inundated with complaints, but everyone including us all had the same problems –we all hadn’t got what we booked and paid for and was unhappy and are complaining and taking it further.
PLEASE AVOID BOOKING THIS HOTEL AND IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BOOKED DON’T LET THEM FOB YOU OFF WITH THE GARDENS IF ITS NOT WHAT YOU BOOKED
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantica Oasis Hotel re-opened its doors in 2007 with a partial face lift. Located in the centre of Limassol just a few steps away from the beach, the hotel is the perfect place to live your dream holidays. An excellent range of facilities offer families and couples endless hours of fun. Only minutes from the wild nightlife of Limassol, surrounded by bars, restaurants and clubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com so you can book your Atlantica Oasis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantica Oasis Limassol