“Very Angry” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St Raphael Resort

You added St Raphael Resort to your Saves list
St Raphael Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leoforos Amathountos 502 | P.O.Box 51064, Pyrgos, Limassol 4520, Cyprus   |
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Limassol
limassol
“Very Angry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed ( for the 3rd consecutive Xmas) at the St Raphael and although we enjoyed our stay I found the reception was not as expected from a 5* hotel. We booked all inclusive and I asked for an interconnectiong room as my daughter and grandson were staying with us. It was not until I arrived that I was told that there weren't any. Why was I not told this when I received a "we look forward to your forthcoming visit to our hotel" emai.. It was not mentioned that we were repeat guests, this should have been known and acknowledged. We were also asked for a 45 euro suppliment for the Xmas eve gala dinner or else we couldn't eat as there were no other restaurants open - this I found to be appalling.I argued that we were all inclusive and that we have never paid a supplement before, and was told that is wrong you should pay a supplement. Well I am sorry, this should have been mentioned to us beforehand, it was then dropped to 35 euro per person, with the exception oif my grandson who is only 7 yrs old. I had no choice but to pay up although this left a bitter taste in my mouth. On talking to other guests I found that they had only paid 30 euro per person. We tried to talk with the Manager but was fobbed off with "well tour operators blah blah... I am a retired hotel manager myself and know how it works and you certainly DO NOT tell a guest they cannot eat if they don't pay up. The reception manager Helen was heard to say to the receptionist " I told him he should have informed people" when the supplement was questioned.

We have been going for the last 3 years now with friends and after this NEITHER of us will be going again as we found this apalling. It seems that predicted fighres had not materialised so the shortfall was passed onto guests who did attend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Valued Repeat Guest,
I am so sorry for the cause of this upset and to read your review. I would like to first state that your thoughts on why there was a charge could not be further from the truth. We knew exactly who was attending the dinner and would never have charged other guests for a shortfall in numbers, which there was not in any case. The simple reason is to do with the new extranet systems that have been implemented by many different online companies and there was an oversight in how the rates were to be loaded to include the supplement for the Gala Dinners this year. Such an occurrence has never happened in our hotel's 25 year history, nor will it happen again. I am so sorry that you were victim to this and we in no way wanted to upset you or leave you with a bitter aftertaste. With regards to interconnecting rooms, we have a limited amount available in the hotel, and while we always try to allocate these to those guests who have requested them, it is not always possible and hence we never guarantee interconnecting rooms to anyone. Please do feel free to write to me directly should you have any more concerns and I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. We value all our guests, especially repeaters, and we never intended you to leave upset or feeling disgruntled. Our warmest wishes from all the team that I believe has otherwise served you well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my husbands birthday and New Years Eve. The room was excellent, on the 4th floor, with views of the marina. It was very spacious and kept immaculate by the cleaners. We have never stayed all inclusive before, but it was exteemly good value for money. The gala evening dinner was superb, and the restaurant staff most attentive. I Cyprus was on shut down!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear 'Jan D',
Thank you so much for sharing your good experience at our resort with others and we really hope that we will see you again and be of service to you another time. Our best regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent seven wonderful days at this hotel over Christmas,we have stayed here before and can truly say it gets better every time.from the moment we walked in we were treated like old friends.we had an Executive marina view room and it was stunning! The food at all meals was plentiful and delicious and believe me I am very fuss over what I eat.
The hotel is spotless,all members of staff were friendly and c ould not do enough for us to make our stay wondwerful,we have stayed at most of the big hotels in Limassol over the last 26 years and St Raphael is easily the best. This hotel management know that it is the little things that make a holiday great we had bathrobes and slippers a coffee/tea making facilities and Champagne for breakfast! what a great touch.I have read some off the negative reviews on this site and can only think that they must of stayed at a different hotel to us.It would be unfair to single out any member of staff for a mention as everybody at this hotel works their hardest to make sure you have a good time would we return? You bet!

Room Tip: The Executive rooms overlooking the marina are best and worth the extra money
Kissonerga, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed at the St Raphael for 3 nights over the Christmas period. The hotel is clean, the rooms very good and the food over the festive period was excellent, with many choices for all tastes.
Our room was an inland view, but we could see the marina and the beach area easily and very well appointed
Dressing gowns and slippers provided as well as complimentary tea and coffee. Free safe in room good as well.
Wi-fi is free in the reception area, and it certainly large enough to find a quiet corner to get online.
The hotel caters for various nationalities and the staff we encountered both in the main restaurants and the Captains bar were excellent. The Christmas decorations were very good and created a warm atmosphere at this time of year.
The only slight minus was the entertainment. The International show was good, but we really could have done with some upbeat music to dance to and celebrate the occasion.
Would we stay here again? ......definately

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Stuart1374,
Thank you so much for finding the time to share you experience. We really value all feedback and will definitely take your comments on board, especially with regards to some more upbeat entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Doha, Qatar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and i stayed in this hotel for 8 nights, from 14th till 22nd Dececmber 2012,extending our honeymoon from coral beach in paphos. One thing they should keep in mind is that, people have honeymoon once! some of the memories my husband and I will have of ours will be memories for all the wrong reasons. I wrote to them in advance telling them that we were coming for honeymoon. My mail was never replied and even after getting there, no one treated us as special guests. If my husband had not paid in advance, we would have moved on. We booked Executive inland view and to me,that was not what we had expected! The photos on the website were taken in a very cleaver way, that was abit misleading! We have stayed in 5* hotels around the world but this was definately not a five star. The service sucks!! Well most of the staffs were really good, especially one tall guy, in the Octagon restaurant and one Lucyna, very professional. Most of the staff didnt smile or make the guests feel welcome,this is not what you expect from a 5 star hotel. No one spoke to the guest even to ask whether or not all was well. There is one gentleman (bald head) smartly dressed in suit, he worked all through,as we saw him during breakfast,lunch and dinner time,never even talked to us apart from 2 mornings that he greated us. We made the most of the facilities including the steam room Sauna and the jacuzzi and indoor pool, it was heaven just lazing around the Jacuzzi.
We were all inclusive and one place that we felt at home was at the Captains Bar! The staff were great especially one Chris, Christo and Nicholas! We were never dehydrated! The Complimentary tea/coffee and water every day was a plus plus as my hubby loves coffee. One disappointing thing as well was the Internet! This was our First 5 star hotel to pay for internet! I was very disappointed!! The food was good though in some days it was tasteless! It was also plentiful - you could eat 24/7 if you wanted to. Always hot, and very varied with different theme nights. They did have someone playing key board and sing in the palladium and later in the bar but it was not what you would expect from a 5 Star hotel. The guy with the glasses on his head was very entertaining on friday nights though.We definitely would not return to this hotel again. It advertises itself as 5 star and it truly is not. And therefore, if you want to pay for a 5 star and enjoy all that it encompasses you might not want to stay here. Its still beyond me how they won the world travel award!!

Dear Caroline D,
We have been expecting this review and sorry to read your honest complaints, incorrectly directed at our resort, not at the agency with which you booked. We have investigated your case thoroughly and must correct your statement that you wrote to us in advance, as actually you wrote to your online booking agency which in turn failed to tell us anything. We were most upset to find out that anyone has been here for a honeymoon and we did not know it to give them some special treatment. Needless to say, we have advised and complained to the agency of this oversight. Furthermore, I was a little confused by your comments on our service which is generally known for being excellent, as you can see from other TripAdvisor comments. Also, I must point out that many, many 5 star hotels around the globe do charge for internet use, although at St Raphael Resort we do give free access in the lobby and bar areas but charge for WiFi in the rooms which is quite common practise. On the other hand, clients who book directly with us via our own website do receive complimentary internet access as part of the package. We are happy that you did enjoy some aspects and services of our award winning resort and wish you all the very best for your recent marriage and a long, happy and healthy life together. If you do ever decide to return, please do contact us directly so we may better serve your needs.
Whitstable
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was our second stay at St Raphael and once again the staff were excellent, helpful and friendly as usual. Our room was clean and comfortable and perfectly adequate, will certainly return. The new beach restaurant wae a p[easant surprise, we ate most days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your review and we are delighted that you had a good stay with us. We always aim to please. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in 2013. Kind regards,
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Chose this hotel for an overnight stop on our way from Kyrenia to Paphos and stayed on a half-board basis.

It’s quite a nice hotel with lots of excellent facilities, but it just wasn’t special. Our room was perfectly fine with all the facilities you would expect from a 5-star hotel.

During the afternoon I went for a swim in the indoor pool, which is very small. Within a few minutes of getting in, an all-male aquasize class started (with 4 people) and there wasn’t enough room for them and me! Needless to say I threw in the towel and got out – very disappointing.

The evening meal was buffet style with a superb choice of food, but it was spoilt by the VERY loud music from the evening’s entertainment, which was taking place on the dance floor in the restaurant. The music was so loud that we couldn’t have a conversation whilst eating and left the restaurant prematurely without having desserts.

Breakfast the following morning had an excellent choice of food, but it was like feeding time at the zoo – chaos! We had trouble finding a spare table and in the end had to use a table that hadn’t been cleared from the previous people. We got fed up of waiting to be asked if we wanted tea or coffee, so had to get up and find someone to bring it to the table.

Overall, it’s a large vacuous hotel that lacks that 5* luxury.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, thank you for finding the time to share your opinion as we value all feedback. We are sorry that you only had the chance to stay for only one night and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again where we may have the chance to change your mind about some of our services. We are a very popular hotel and are proud that even in mid December, our hotel is popular and busy. However, we still always offer the best possible service and value. Our new breakfast area does not usually present itself as 'chaotic', even in the peak of summer, due to the various service and buffet stations. We do however, thank you for your feedback and will look into your comments concerning the music entertainment. Kind regards,

Been to St Raphael Resort? Share your experiences!