“Fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St Raphael Resort

You added St Raphael Resort to your Saves list
St Raphael Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leoforos Amathountos 502 | P.O.Box 51064, Pyrgos, Limassol 4520, Cyprus   |
Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Limassol
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Ideal place for holiday with children. The hotel is located by the beach close enough to limassol city and easy access to highway. You feel like a part of a family, rooms spa swimming pool area were very clean. Lovely gardens. And yes!!! food delicious!!! The reception desk Manager and her staff was EXCELLEND and FRIENDLY.
We had great time and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your St Raphael Resort experience with the Trip Advisor community. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your comments to our front office manager, Mrs Helen Christofides and her staff, they were very pleased and send their warmest regards. We hope to welcome you and your family back to our resort soon. All the best from a sunny Cyprus.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was our third stay at this hotel. As usual all the staff were pleasant and helpful and the rooms were kept spotlessly clean. The rooms are however looking a bit tired now and could do with some TLC, the 'new'Octogon restaurent is very nice and bright. The gardens were immaculate as always and is nice to be able to always find a sunbed in the gardens as we are not ones for sitting around the pools. This was our first visit in the summer having previously stayed in December and March and we found the hotel much busier.Like a previous reviewer we found the behavior of some of the childen unacceptable, particularly in the restaurents where they were allowed to run around and slide around the floor. I know this is not the hotels fault but do think they could ask parents to control their children in what is after all a dangerous area if you carrying plates of food. We combatted this by never going for lunch before 2pm or dinner before 8.30pm. By this time most of the families had left the restaurents and is was much more peaceful.Our only other gripe with this stay was the quality of the food. Having stayed before we were looking forward to the usual quality but this has changed dramatically. Beef dishes particularly were very poor with the meat being tough and fatty. the food was also only lukewarm most of the time. There was no complaint with the quantity of food on offer just a marked dip in the quality. It was also nice to see that under 12's are not now allowed in the bar neither are adults wearing swim wear. The staff were very good at enforcing both these rules.

Room Tip: Marina view rooms are worth the extra for the view, however the actual rooms are the same as sea vie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort with the Trip Advisor community. We value both positive and negative comments because this helps us constantly improve the customer service we deliver to our guests. We were happy to read that you found our brand new Octagon restaurant to your liking and that our landscaped gardens were well kept. We have noted your comments about the behaviour of our young guests, however, as I am sure you will appreciate we cannot reprimand parents for their children’s behaviour. With that said, we have already increased the visibility of multilingual signs kindly requesting that parents with young children please take care of them during dining times. Our staff have been made aware to be extra vigilant with regards to children running in the restaurant to avoid any potentially dangerous situations. We have taken your comments concerning the quality of food very seriously indeed. This has been taken up with our food and beverage manager as well as our executive chef to ensure that our food is maintained at the highest standards , and you may be pleased to know that we have already changed some of our meat supplies. We do truly appreciate your feedback .

Thank you for pointing out the changes made to the Captain’s Bar and Terrace we feel those changes are making a world of difference and we were happy to read that you found our staff were enforcing these rules.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future. All the best from a Sunny Limassol.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Just got back from a lovely stay at the St. Raphael Resort with my 2 daughters. We booked an Executive room which we could not fault, there was a big queen size bed and two bunk beds for the girls. The restaurants and quality of food very good, they even had a children's corner which the girls loved. An excellent Reception desk always eager to help. The Spa was amazing! Cannot wait to return next year - Thank you for a lovely stay x

Room Tip: We booked an Executive Inland view room and were given a good deal to upgrade at Reception to an Exe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Limassol, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Excellent facilities.very clean.nice swimming pools,two outdoor,one inside and good spa.
Private beach with canoes windsurfing and pedalled available.
Good choice of food.
Local bus number 30 goes into Limassol every fifteen minutes return cost two euros.
Great restaurant in Limassol called noodle house just off the castle square.
Further afield try zygi a small fishing harbour with great local catch.twenty minutes drive towards larnaca.
North of pathos at the Western side of island there is a lachi which is also lovely..

Room Tip: If you have an executive suite then numbers including 578 have a poor view of car park and noise fr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. We were delighted to read that you found our facilities and choice of food to be up to standard.

We were pleased to read that you found time to experience some of the local areas as well as some further afield West of Paphos.

We look forward to welcoming you to our resort in the near future.

All the best from St Raphael Resort.
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a week in late April. Our room (on the sixth floor) was quite spacious with plenty of wardrobe/drawer space. The beds were comfy, the views of the bay lovely and the room was fully air conditioned. Shower was powerful and the use of a robe and slippers were a nice touch. An ice machine on every floor was even better. The two outdoor swimming pools were lovely with plenty of sun beds on offer. The grounds surrounding the hotel were beautiful and very well kept. The hotel has a very elegant and spacious reception with a spectacular chandelier. The whole of the lobby area has a copious amount of seating and gives off an impressive and airy feel. Housekeeping, concierge, waiters and staff in general were proficient, attentive and conscientious. What really lets this hotel down badly is the food. As a vegetarian guest I was made to feel as though I had not arrived from another country but another planet! The restaurant had not one vegetarian option on offer. I was offered to choose what I would like to eat 24hours in advance (similar to the practices used in hospitals), an omelette and on one occasion a kind waiter offered to pick the bacon bits out of a supposedly broccoli quiche! The General Manager, Mr. Papadopoulos, a kind and considerate man explained the hotel’s 1970’s ‘food policy’. Expanding, he said that “there was simply no demand for non meat meals” including smothering all green salads with offal. Silly me! I thought that a 5 Star hotel’s core business was to satisfy individual wants and needs. If I’d have wanted a ‘demand’ holiday, I would have gone to Butlins! If you like meat, more meat and yet more meat, boiled, stewed or fried (akin to the school canteen variety) then go to this hotel, you will love it. If, your tastes are a little more refined, then steer clear. Would we go back, sadly no.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

We were very disappointed and upset to read your adverse comments concerning our vegetarian selection on our buffets during your recent stay at our hotel. Following your meeting with the general manager of our hotel Mr. Andreas Gregoriou who introduced you to the hotels Executive Chef, and informed you that our chefs would be more than prepared to provide for you any vegetarian dish you wished. Writing to you as a vegetarian (who also does not eat cheese) I have to state that I strongly disagree with your comments. On a daily basis, each varied buffet offers a selection of fresh vegetables, rice/pasta dish, two fish/seafood options, beans/pulses, potatoes, a wide selection of salad where you can also create your own salad with various greens, tomatoes, pickles, olives and more plus three different dressing and amongst our wide selection of desserts we always offer fruit. We do not consider your case to be unique because our resort caters for many vegetarian guests throughout the year and at no time did we manage to create ' hell ' for them as you so ' eloquently ' put. We also have several periods of the year whereby locals are 'fasting' (effective vegans for over 50 days) and have never received a complaint. We find your statement completely vindictive as the management of the hotel did everything possible to to satisfy your dietary requirements and particular tastes. We are sad that this proved to be to no avail and we frankly cannot feel guilty about this.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future where we might be able to change your opinion.

Wishing you all the very best from Limassol Cyprus.
Spalding, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This time last year I wrote a rave review about this hotel and I had enjoyed my stay there so much that I immediately rebooked for a 4 week stay this year.
Before leaving home I noticed than a number of other reviewers had reported on building works noise so I contacted both the hotel and the travel agent Mercury Direct asking them if there was still building work going on and if so, could I delay my visit to a later date when all the building work was over. I was advised in writing by both the hotel and the travel agent that there had been building work BUT all the noisy work was complete and it was now just a case of a bit of painting and tidying up. Based on this we continued with our holiday. For at least 24 of the 28 days we were there there was very loud building noise ie. tile cutters, circular saws, banging and hammering etc.
Via Tripadvisor the hotel promised free wifi to anyone giving a review of the hotel. When I asked about my free wifi for the review I had written the hotel said that despite them advertising this offer on Tripadvisor it was only open to people who booked direct with them and not via a travel agent, so I would not get mine free instead I would have to pay Euros 92 per week.
Turning now to the review of the actual hotel :-
The room, whilst dated was a good size and had ample storage space and it was kept clean. On the landing there were kids playing football and dropping items over the rails onto the people in the foyer underneath. There were dozens of children all running wild, playing in the lifts, shouting and screaming and generally making a complete nuisance of themselves often until 11 or 12 o'clock at night. I do realise that children are entitled to go on holiday and enjoy themselves I've had kids myself but, if the parents are unable or unwilling to control their children then this responsibility should fall on the hotel, it's not fair that the majority of guests should suffer.
This time round more so than last year I noticed how old, grubby and mismatched the foyer and lounge furniture was also the marble where the waterfalls are could do with a good limescale treatment.
During the full 4 weeks we were there only 1 outdoor pool was open and only 1 of the 5 dining rooms were open.
The food, which last year I found to be outstanding was this time at best mediocre and lukewarm. They have replaced the soup and cereal bowls with virtually flat plates which had no more depth than a saucer (I kid you not). You were lucky if you got a ladel of soup in the bowl and, by the time you carried this back to your table it was stone cold. Last year there was a fantastic array of deserts with a choice of at least 20 if not more mouthwatering dishes. This time you were faced with such delicacies as jelly, dry cake and ice cream, there was an uninspiring selection of about 6 dishes.
This year with the exception of the 4th week there were very few English guests (unlike last year), the majority were Russian, Eastern European, German and Muslim. Their dress code, with the exception of the Muslims, seemed to consist of shorts, vests, flip flops and biker type clothing. I'm not a snob by any means but come on, this is supposed to be a 5* hotel and I wouldn't have thought shorts were appropriate for dinner.
Friends of ours on the same landing but on the other side reported to reception that their room and the 2 rooms next to them had a cockroach infestation which seemed to come from the service/cleaners room. The receptionist gave them a can of bug spray!!! Not what you would expect from a 5* hotel. thankfully our room was not affected.
In the 4th week of our stay the hotel replaced all the sunloungers around the pool (but not in the garden area) with nice new ones which were very comfy. The gardens were still lovely and well tended.
Sorry St Raphael but I don't appreciate being conned over the free wifi and the noise situation and I don't appreciate loud building noise virtually every day, screaming children being allowed to run wild throughout the hotel, the lack of outdoor pools and dining facilities and the dramatic drop in food standards and selection so I'm afraid I won't be back. If I stay at a 5* hotel and pay 5* prices I expect 5* comfort.

Room Tip: Don't be misled by them promising you a sea view as this only means a side view which has loud r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
First of all let us clarify the 'Free WiFi' special offer on TripAdvisor is only redeemable via our own website. If you click on this offer/banner you will be diverted to our own booking engine. This we believe was quite clear however we apologise for any confusion. I am not sure when you stayed, however at the beginning of April we introduced free wifi in the lobby and the Captain's Bar of the hotel. For high speed business access in all other areas of the hotel, there is still a charge due to the high investment.
Moving on to your other points, we have noted your review and thank you for taking the time to write your honest opinion. Unfortunately, we cannot repremand the children of others although we do try to encourage good behavior. You can imagine however that not all parents are receptive to this and there is really nothing more that we can do as an establishment. We are currently introducing a kids/teenagers play room within Eden Garden where we hope to encourage our younger guests to 'hang out' in the evenings.
Having one of our two large outdoor swimming pools available to guests at at time of year when the resort is not full did seem very reasonable. We had routine maintenance work to carry out on one of the pools, but this was in no way disturbing. We are happy to read that you did like our choice of new sunbeds for this season.
Unfortunately the weather in Cyprus has been unstable this year, and thus we were not able to open our outdoor restaurants and outlets until the end of April/beginning of May. This was the case across the island. You may not have realised however that our award winning Sailor's Rest Lounge Bar Restaurant is open all year from 10am-midnight with excellent food.
We do take all comments very seriously and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again and show you a better experience.
Kind regards,
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the St Raphael Resort for 3 weeks - end March to mid April this year. It was our second visit and indeed, it was as enjoyable as the first so we were not disappointed. In fact, it was even better, since we were really welcomed back and we already knew many of the staff and our way around.

We had an executive room with a superb sea and marina view. These rooms are very spacious and we particularly enjoyed the extra large balcony which had two sunbeds and table and chairs. Since we could make tea and coffee in our room, we spent a lot of time relaxing here and enjoying some quiet privacy as well as the view. We were aware that some in our wing were requesting air-conditioning - however, as an elderly couple, most nights we were pleased for the heating as it was quite cool at night and even on some days when the weather wasn't its best.

We also spent time in the immaculate gardens and enjoyed an occasional stroll along the beachside footpath that begins on the right of the hotel. This was not there last year and, although we didn't venture so far, we understand it reaches as far as the town.

As we were on half board for two weeks we enjoyed the food immensely and found the quality and choice available, for both breakfast and dinner, much better than other Limassol hotels we have stayed in before. Service was always friendly and helpful - as it was throughout the hotel.

Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing stay in very comfortable and clean surroundings. We shall certainly be returning next year and would like to recommend the St Raphael to anyone, really. It is fine for couples of all ages and certainly seems to have a lot to do for families with children. A lovely touch, we thought, was the live bunnies and fluffy chicks that were brought in for Easter and had their own corner in the lobby. L & R. Dobbie

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
It was with great pleasure that we read that this was your second visit to out Resort and that you enjoyed your return. It is very endearing to read that you felt at ease and welcome by our staff as we strive to provide the best service at the most affordable prices. We thank you again for your kind review and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Been to St Raphael Resort? Share your experiences!