“Butlins in the sun” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St Raphael Resort

You added St Raphael Resort to your Saves list
St Raphael Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leoforos Amathountos 502 | P.O.Box 51064, Pyrgos, Limassol 4520, Cyprus   |
Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Limassol
Inverkip
“Butlins in the sun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Just returned from this wonderful 3 star hotel ! Sorry it's a 5 star isn't it? Nope it's Butlins in the sun.
First the goodies.....the staff are great best in many years of travelling.Special mention to Sasha the catering manager, Steve, Dimitri and Chris in the bar I really could go on but the staff are the only 5 star about this place.

Great gardens for lounging in, comfortable clean bedrooms with maid service every day, lounge bar air condioned with premium brands and great service.

Now the baddies.

Dont pay for a room upgrade unless you want a Marina view. We paid for a executive room and were upgraded ? to a sea view room which almost everyone gets automatically at no extra charge ( you can always grade on site if you are unhappy). Very small balcony which they have managed to squeeze a small table and two chairs.

Although advertising 5 restaurants be aware that only a buffet and a mediteranean, serving the same mezze and barbecued kebabs each night, are your only choice each evening.The buffet meals are poor, tepid and uninspiring.

The guests are 90% Russian and I completely agree with the previous views withe regard to their children's behaviour. The hotel offers a Spa experience to relax in a pleasant atmosphere, try using it with a hoard of unsupervised children in the whirlpool bath or playing with balls in the Spa pool and running in and out of the sauna and steam rooms.

With the huge number of children I would suggest that this hotel is not suitable for couples looking for a quiet relaxing holiday, hence the Butlins quote

The hotel prides itself on being Cyprus's premier resort sitting on a golden beach.....golden it ain't more a hard beige surface littered with left over rubbish from your fellow Russian holidaymakers. You should also be aware that if you want a beach lounger be early the Germans are amateurs compared to this lot. Only use the buffet at the beach snack bar you pay for the items on the menu.

Room Tip: Wait till your allocated in resort
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear Reviewer,
We feel extremely sorry for your harsh criticism of our award winning resort and your unsympathetic outlook to other cultures. We are always happy to read reviews, whether positive or negative, as they help us to constantly improve our service, but do feel that we must answer your comments as candidly as they were given. We are officially rated a 5 star resort by the Cyprus Tourism Organisation, a hospitality body which is renowned for it's high standards of judgement, especially when compared to other Mediterranean countries. We do thank you for recognising the merits of our staff who we do indeed pride ourselves in, and put a lot of time, effort and money in consistent training programmes and have a hotel motto 'The Customer is King'.
I believe that there has been a confusion in your noting of an 'executive' room upgrade. Our executive rooms (of which we have both inland and marina views) are situated in the new executive wing and I believe that what you actually paid for was an upgrade to a standard sea view room from a standard inland view category originally booked. Whilst our standard sea view rooms are the biggest room category we have, guests do not automatically get this if they have not paid for them.
Our 5 restaurants in our Ultra All Inclusive package are all well serviced and our food is of the highest quality. The Phoenician Restaurant serves a fusion of Arabic and Mediterranean cuisine, and as with all mezes this is standard however there is so much choice within the meal with the many dishes being served on the table that clients often enjoy frequenting this choice of restaurant several times during their stays. As well as the Palladium theme night buffets, we do also have Seashells Beach Tavern which, although in the evenings is not included in the All Inclusive Package, is available and has dishes from as little as €8. We also give our in-house guests discounts when dining on weekdays at the award winning Sailor's Rest Lounge Bar Restaurant in the St Raphael Marina, so there really are a lot of choices available.
I believe that you also confused our new Serenity Spa with the Gym, Indoor swimming pool and health club area. The Spa itself offers a serene area for guests who wish to pay for any one of a huge array of treatments and this area includes a relaxing room. The new sauna, steam bath, jacuzzi and indoor swimming pool are available for all guests at no extra charge and all our repeat guests have been delighted by these renovated areas. If any guests wish to enjoy a treatment, private sauna or steam bath, or anything else, they can use the spa area and the relevant charge will apply.
Finally, we would like to say that our beach is considered as one of the finest in Limassol and in June 2011 we were awarded with the international Blue Flag award for cleanliness and high quality.
We wish you all the very best and should you ever wish to return, please do contact us so we may advise a more suitable time to visit - maybe in a shoulder season when we are less busy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We’ve just come back from our wonderful three-week holiday at St.Raphael. We felt comfortable and welcomed from the moment we walked in and were helped with our luggage which was very pleasant as me and my friend travelled with three little kids and no men to help us. Staff at the reception were very nice, they answered all our questions, which we had a lot, and gave us rooms right away despite the fact that we arrived long before the check-in hour. And they were very helpful and considerate to us whenever we called upon them throughout our whole stay.
I still remember that first impression we got from the hotel – and it has nothing to do with material things like furniture or decorations or lifts and etc., but the whole atmosphere, so home-like and calming, the smell, the friendly faces around… And from that first impression we knew we’re going to love this place.
I won’t go into detail about the rooms – the previous reviews fully cover it all, I’ll just say the rooms are suitably furnished, the bath robes and the slippers are a plus, and the housekeeping service worked very well – our rooms were always clean. There was a note with a picture of a camel on it attached to the bath robe saying something like “Please don’t take me away, it’s my home. And I don’t like pools…” and I thought what a very tactful way to remind people of the rules. By the way, this paper-camel was so sweet that the kids even played with it.
The food was great, especially the dinners, with live music and special menu every night – the Italian meals were fantastic, we even made the acquaintance of the Chef and he shared a recipe with us. I would like to mention Catering Manager Sasha who was very nice and welcoming with everyone so that you just couldn’t but smile back.
The sea was still cold when we arrived and during the first week the kids were mostly swimming in the pool, but we were impressed by the beach – it’s very clean and, obviously, taken good care of, especially if you walk a bit further than the hotel territory. And there was always someone from the staff to help us out with the beach beds.
And the last, but not the least in meaning – the ANIMATION TEAM. These guys are GREAT!!! They are talented in many ways, they enjoy what they are doing, it’s obvious, and that’s what they are loved for. Their positive energy, their smiles, the way they work and talk to people, regardless of the age or nationality– it attracts you and makes you feel a part of something big and happy, you know. They offer a wide range of activities, both for kids and adults – sports, aerobics and ball-games in the pool, team games on the grass during the day, archery, table-tennis and darts, so that everyone can find something to occupy himself and not just get sun-tanned on the beach. Plus, Kid’s club three times a day and Kids Disco at 8.45p.m. – where do you, guys, get the energy for all that?))) By the way, the last dance at Kids Disco, when parents join their kids and dance together is a find – it unites everyone in some special way and fills you up with a very warm feeling.
ALLY, ALEX and VAAL – you are the heart of the team, thank you for everything, for your big smiles and being so open and sincere, for the shows and contests, for getting us all involved, for the emotions and unforgettable experience that we hope to repeat some day)). Vicky and Anastasia are very nice young ladies from the Kids Club and we couldn’t get our kids out of there. They were playing games, drawing and doing some fun staff and my 2 year-old daughter is still asking about Anastasia, when she will see her again and dance together. There was also Stephen from Birmingham, very positive and friendly, who taught my son to play table-tennis. The Certificate giving procedure in the evening was very important – it made every kid feel special in this way or the other and the animators took care that every little guest received his or her small reward.
And there’s one more thing I’d like to mention. I’ve read the reviews below saying how ignorant, greedy and arrogant are Russian people staying in a hotel. Well, I can’t say we were happy with queues in the Octagon at lunch time or some personalities blocking the way to the food or making their way with elbows… or kids in the lift going up and down without adult supervision so that you have to wait long enough… or when you just can’t get out of the lift, because you are pushed inside by those getting in… and, well, yes, the piles of food they would never eat… And we did feel uneasy because of these things too, and maybe sometimes angry because we couldn’t change them, but we tried to overlook them and just accept things the way they are – these people won’t change for you or for us, so what’s the point of thinking about it instead of enjoying your holiday in that amazing place? One shouldn’t judge the whole nation by the habits and behavior of several people, because people are different, you know. And, by the way, I’ve never seen or heard any staff or management member being rude or harsh with those who behaved, well, not according to the rules – like when some kids were running in the restaurant in the evening or when someone had too much to drink… On the contrary, they were so tactful, tolerant and respectful saying please don’t do this or that – great respect to them all…
The thing is, there are always drawbacks and minuses one can find at any place or hotel, and it all depends on you attitude and expectations – we have planned to spend three wonderful weeks despite of everything, and our expectations were completely fulfilled and our hearts and minds are full of warm feelings and memories.
It has always been my dream to visit Cyprus and I’m happy we have chosen St.Raphael. This hotel has a soul – it’s the entertainment team and other special people working there – that make it alive and make you wish to come back again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
We are truly touched by your heartfelt, detailed review - thank you so much for your honesty and your informed opinions. You have a wonderful outlook on life and I believe that if all people had the same positive approach as you do, the world would be a happier, healthier place - keep it up! All our staff work so hard to ensure that all our guests have a well deserved holiday and we are very proud of the homely feeling that we provide along with our 5 star status and service. Many thanks and we hope to welcome you back at St Raphael Resort very soon. Our warmest regards and best wishes,
Merseyside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

After much research I chose the St Raphael hotel to stay at for our first visit to Cyprus - next time my research will have to be even greater. I was already having doubts on my arrival when I saw the state of the seating nearest the reception desk - they look like a pack of great danes had a romp in a muddy field and then slept on them. We then went to our room, eagerly awaiting the much vaunted ‘refurbishment’ to the rooms and discovered that this was hotel speak for two new chairs, a new laminate floor and new curtains. All the remaining furniture is a relic from its heyday in the 80s. We were not bothered too much though as its somewhere to sleep and it was clean and kept that way by conscientious staff. We did reduce the word ‘balcony’ to ‘balc’ though as the one in our room was too small for a full title.

On the positive side we actually went to Cyprus because we wanted some sun and that’s a guaranteed certainty. The staff are this hotel’s finest feature - nothing is too much trouble and they’ve all got a smile and are extremely polite, even when faced with miserable Russians. The exception being the man in the Octagon who takes you to your seat (I think his name was something like Michalis) who may also smile at least twice during your two weeks. The bar staff in particular are amazingly friendly and cheerful, always remembering what you prefer to drink and quick to replenish your glass (a definite plus in this hotel).

The greatest thing about staying here is the lack of ‘lounger wars’ in a morning. You can get a sunlounger pretty much anytime of the day and if you choose the fabulous ‘Quiet Zone’ in the gardens you can avoid the screaming Russian children. However, in this ‘5 star’ hotel the loungers are the white plastic and blue mesh cheap 2 star hotel style that are the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered. If you are there during one of the many local weddings, you may be moved from your chosen spot in the garden as weddings take priority over guests.

I wont dwell on the food as the other reviewers have pretty much summed up its mediocrity.

If you’re still thinking of going (and I’m wondering why) then don’t bother with room upgrades, especially the ‘Executive wing’. Inland view means carpark, Marine view means kids pool that Russian children like to use as a toilet and all rooms are looked down on by main building ‘balcs’ on that side, so little privacy.

If you want a late check out then you have no chance on a weekend but more hope midweek. However it will cost you 77 Euros no matter how long you keep the room for but your All Inclusive food and drink ends at 1430 hours regardless.

If you are one of the people who go year after year then all I ask is that you go somewhere else away from Cyprus of a similar standard next year and see how much better they do the top notch All Inclusive.

In summary, I believe Limassol is an 80s resort trading on past glory and the St Raphael is of that era but needs to work hard to compete against the much more modern hotels around the world that only the charge the same price for a better holiday.

Dear Reviewer,
We were very sorry to read your review. We would like to state, and you can see this from the many positive reviews on TripAdvisor as well as our high rating, that we are a high standard 5 star resort that pride ourselves in offering value for money and the best in quality and service. We do thank you in noting the high quality of our service and staff. All our staff attend many seminars and training sessions and put a lot of effort into their work which we are extremely proud of.
If any customers need help in choosing their room category, they can visit our website which has a full description and layout plan with square meters of the rooms. Our Marina View Rooms have large balconies overlooking the sea and marina, however many guests prefer our standard sea view rooms due to their design. As with everything in life, this is really down to personal taste, and we are sorry to hear that you did not find your preference. Our Executive Rooms are extremely popular and at some points in the year we have waiting lists for these categories. I am sorry to say this, but I really believe that you should not be so judgmental, especially regarding others preferences, habits or cultures.
Finally I would like to add, that Limassol has become one of the most popular resorts in Cyprus and has so much to offer from good restaurants, bars, clubs, our paved beach walkways, shops, gardens, the mall, archaeology, adventure retreats, water park, and much more. As with everything, it is 'horses for courses' and we sincerely wish you all the very best.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Just returned after 14 nights at St Rapheal Resort.
The good bits,the staff and the rooms.
The not so good. The location and surrounding area of the hotel. the Russians,who are the most arrogant and ignorant people I have ever met,and the place is top heavy with them,so much so that the staff told us that they were taking Russian lessons.
,they have no control of their kids, who run wild from morning till night around the pools,restaurants and bars,and allowed to.
Queuing at all meal times is 3* stuff not 5*. The food once again is 3* quality.
Mosquitos were a massive problem for a lot of people staying there,I spoke to a Duty Manager about the problem after showing her approx 120 bites around my ankles and asked her what deterants they had in place because none were visable any where,she said they had some in the kitchen,( alot of good they were when people were being attacked in the bars),but she seemed more interested in showing me 3 on her leg which she claimed were from another hotel when attending her daughters graduation.she offered to speak to the General Manager and report back to me,I'm still waiting,and suprise,suprise although she didn't see it as a problem the next day there was buzz offs plugged in every where,and the grounds sprayed,a bit too late for the dozens of people who were bitten alive !!
The Cypriot Turism needs to get out and about to other countries and see what a proper 5* hotel looks like,because they certainley look far superior to the one I have just spent 2 weeks in

Room Tip: Executive marina view room are good,but not cheap
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

We were extremely disappointed to read that not everything during your stay was satisfactory because we do pride ourselves in providing our guests with the best possible experience at our resort. We receive an abundance of letters and comments thanking us for wonderful holidays and hope that all our guests have the same experience. Our hotel is marketed to a large international community and our client mix is wide and varies every week. While we are not responsible for the individual actions and cultures of guests, we do hope that our 5 star rating attracts a certain level of clientelle and we believe that one cannot generalise with regards to specific nationalities as every person and guest is different and individual. Our popularity and high occupancies can make our restaurants busy during peak dining times, however, our staff are always on hand to assist with any requests , and our high occupancies, not only proof of our popularity as one of Cyprus' leading resorts, also allows us to offer many different outlets and programmes throughout the year. Our food has always been rated very highly by all our customers and this is reiterated by the hotel's popularity with our local clientelle.
We were very surprised by yours and other guests complaints about the number of Mosquito's and believe that this must have been due to a wetter than normal spring. This was certainly not only St Raphael Resort's problem as the rest of Cyprus had the same conditions. However, our staff were very quick to react to your report and we believe quickly implemented measures to bring the situation to as much control as humanly possible.

We do hope you give us the opportunity at some point in time to welcome you back to our resort.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Just home after 10 days at this"5 star" hotel/resort.First ALL the staff were wonderful,the gardens leading down to beach area were terrific,the seashells beach resturant was clean, the staff very good as were they in the bars in the hotel.The room was clean and bed comfortable,however was a bit dated,the balcony was just big enough for 2 people to squeeze into(neither of us are of the large size!) reminded me of hotel rooms in spain in the 1980s.The food -apart from a nearly decent breakfast was of no star quality apart from the resturant where we enjoyed a Mezz with waiter service-very good.The main dining room in the evenings was nothing like we had never seen-children running about putting their fingures in the food pushing people out of the way(as did their parents) it was like a works canteen although some people playing music tried their best to drown out the noise of children you could not hold a conversation!.Wife bitten 20 plus times-garden sprayed after lady who i think had 100 plus bites complained-and plug ins were put in room -if you asked for one.Entertainment? none! apart from the captains bar where it was so loud we would move to the terrace .The hotel now caters for east europeans as they seem to be in the majority-the days of the Brits and germans has gone! they are welcome to it-will never go back to this hotel although we love Cyprus and the people will probably go back to the hotel we stayed in 2 years ago-just about 8 miles away.Who gives the stars for these hotels? a few years ago it might have been not any more .

Room Tip: Pay extra !!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. We do appreciate our guests positive and negative comments as this allows us to improve all aspects of our resort facilities on a consistent basis so that we offer a great value for money 5 star package. We were pleased to read that you found our rooms, staff, grounds and restaurants all up to standard. Your encounter with the island's unusually high levels of mosquitoes was most regrettable but out of our control. We did our best to cope with this but nature is nature and we appreciated you and other guests letting us know. This included being one of only hotels on the island to have employed a specialist company to spray our entire gardens.

Our standard sea view rooms have a balcony for two people, however standard marina view rooms have much larger balconies and the executive wing balconies are over 12m2.

As well as our official 5 star rating granted by the Cyprus Tourism Organisation and all our major tour operators, we are also proud of have been voted by individuals as the Mediterranean's Leading Resort in the World Travel Awards for 2 consecutive years and again as Cyprus' Leading All Inclusive for the last 3 years.

We wish you every happiness and should you ever wish to return, please do contact us before so we might be able to assist and better advise more suitable times to suit your own particular needs.

merseyside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I have just returned from the St Raphael Resort having spent 11 days with my husband on our annual holiday.I will get the good points across to begin,staff in bars and restaurant are very friendly and pleasant and can't do enough for you, i find this is the best asset going for the St Raphael,our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. air conditioning a plus.
The restaurant was like queueing for school dinners with rude uncontrolable Russian children pushing in, no manners whatsoever and the parents equally as bad. the food piled on plates which was wasted was sickening to watch, a variety of food but much the same everyday.I have never experienced anything like it .It was like a playground for Russian families .I personally found them Rude arrogant people who cannot control their children who run around the hotel .we and other guests even experienced them using the gardens for toileting.
It is certainly not a 5* hotel i would rate it 3* .i tried to keep an open mind reading the reviews before i left the UK.
the 1st night i was there i was bitten really badly by mosquitos within the Hotel and grounds i had to eventually go to the medical clinic where i was treated for 138 infected bites. I did complain to Management but didn't really recieve any apology. i was told it's breeding season . so be warned!!!. although they did start spraying the gardens and put plugs around the hotel after i spoke to them.
Not a relaxing holiday for me at all and i certainly won't ever go back.The only recomendation i would give would be to stay away.

Dear Reviewer,

Your review deeply saddens us. I would like to first state that at the time of your stay, nearly 40% of our guest mix was from the UK, by far the largest culture base at that time. Our client mix varies throughout the year and we are very proud of the different cultures that are attracted to our resort and never discriminate between countries - all are welcome in our resort.
We thank you for contacting our front office manager during your stay with us to raise your concerns about the unfortunate situation that had arisen from your mosquito bites. You must appreciate that there is very little we can do against nature, but did our utmost to minimise the reported unusually high amount of mosquitoes . Our staff had already implement ed deterrents around the 43,000m2 of resort grounds to combat this regrettable problem and it was eradicated very quickly to the best of our power .
We are a very popular All Inclusive Resort and our guest mix various a great deal. Our resort is sold in countries all over the world and we constantly request that visitors respect the rules of the house and treat all others with respect. We have had much success with a children’s corner in the main restaurant and have very clear signage requesting that parents please mind their children during breakfast, lunch and dinner times.
Finally we would like to say that we are strong supporters of the United Nations World Food Programme and have raised thanks to our guests' generosity over €5000 in the last year to help feed the hungry. We cannot tell guests how much to put on their plates, but do hope that they respect others whilst enjoying their stay with us.

We do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort soon so that we can add you to the many thousands of satisfied guests worldwide.

Larnaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I have been there for New Year. Lobby is wonderful, modern design furnitures,the stuff very friendly. Food was tasty and the restaurant very impressive.Indoor swimming pool with jacuzzi was ok. Newly renovated rooms which were comfortable. Most wonderful were the gardens, especially at night, for romantic walk near the small Chapel or near the bar which is located near Marina.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to St Raphael Resort? Share your experiences!