“Dated and in need of refurbishment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows

Save Saved
You added Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows to your Saves list
Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Larnaka Dekelia Road | P.O. Box 40394, Larnaka CY 6303, Cyprus   |
Ranked #6 of 41 hotels in Larnaka
Gloucester
“Dated and in need of refurbishment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at the Palm Beach whilst in Cyprus on business. The main reason for choosing was that it was a hotel with a good rating, quite close to the airport. Saying that, it is a bit of a trip, so it's not like you stumble out of the airport and into the hotel. You would need a 20 min taxi ride, or hire a car. Point to note, the directions given on the hotel's website probably don't give you the easiest route to follow - didn't get lost but probably more straight-forward either coming off the motorway one junction earlier (58) and going along the coast road to it, or going to 60 and coming back at it.
As for the hotel, the entrance and gardens create a good first impression. Check in was efficient and the staff throughout the stay were helpful. But you do immediately get the impression of an 80's hotel that hasn't been refurbished since. The room was OK, but the beds (two singles pushed together) were not particularly comfy, and they seemed to have some kind of waterproof matress cover, like they expected me to have some kind of accident. I still slept OK, but I am a heavy sleeper.
As for the bathroom, the shower head was low, so I had to stoop to get my head under it to wash my hair. I am not freakishly tall, just 6'1". Actually, the celing over the shower was only just above my head height. But there was plenty of hot water, and the temperature constant.
Food-wise, breakfast was good. Plenty of choice, hot, fresh - no complaints. Staff here were friendly. It was a different restaurant in the evening, and here the food quality was not so good, and the staff not as friendly as the rest of the hotel. Service was also a little slow.
I'm guessing that the main reason for people staying here would be tourists. Definitely the hotel was quiet in early March - I guess there is a lot more atmosphere in the summer. I did venture out to look at the beach. It was awful. Seriously, I could not see any reason for wanting to sit on this bit of beach that looks more like a bit of waste land with the sea lapping at it. Now, I'm not a fan of Cyprus for its beaches anyway, but compared to what I have seen, this bit was particularly depressing. The pool area did not seem to be too great either. Previously I have stayed at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel in Limassol on about 9 occasions for company conferences. All round this hotel makes a much better choice for a holiday. The hotel has been renovated, the rooms are a much higher standard, the pool area is much nicer, as are the restaurants, quality of food, even the beach is a little bit better. Still, I would go as far as the pool and leave the beach alone.
The Palm Beach did have a redeeming feature, which for me is quite an important one. It has a good gym. This was one of the reasons for choosing the hotel, and it is well equipped with a good range of cardio machines and weights. Opening hours are a bit restrictive - it opens at 8.00, so if you are looking to exercise before going to work, maybe not ideal.
I would stay at this hotel again, but only because it is easy to get to from the airport and has a good gym. If these are not important considerations for you then stay somewhere else - preferably a different part of the island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Palm B, General Manager at Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Keef,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
We have noted the difficulty you have had in finding us, following our instructions and we will go through them again and revise them.
Also, thank you for the positive comments. Please be advised that we do have double beds. Many rooms are double bedded, so please next time drop us a line and we will make sure you get one.
All your other comments have also been well taken into consideration and we will implement changes where possible. The beach and pool areas will be great when they open up at the beginning of the season.
Again, thank you for your comments and your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in our hotel in the future.

Best regards,

418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Plus points: it's cheap. The staff were nice. The breakfast is very good. Nice beach.
Minus points: it's pretty tired and very 80's. the area is run down. It looks unlikely someone's going to put in the cash necessary to make it any better than average.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and your feedback. We are pleased you found our staff friendly and liked our breakfast. As a matter of fact we have renovated extensively some parts of the hotel including the Bungalows, Royal Suite, and done a sample room which is beautiful (room 112). Soon, the hotel will proceed with further extensive renovations.
Please do keep in touch with us. I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel soon!

Best regards,
Swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at the Palm Beach Hotel from 20 - 27 February 2013. As a single traveller, I really appreciated the warm, friendly welcome from all staff. I was on half board and, as a vegetarian, often the food can be lacking, however not the case at the Palm Beach. Breakfast and evening meals were extremely good. Location is perfect - right by the sea. I would have given it five stars except for one small thing - there are no coffee/tea making facilities in the rooms. For a four star hotel I would automatically expect this. When getting up in the morning and ready in the evening I do like to have a cup of coffee or tea. It was nice not to be charged extra for the safe deposit box in the rooms and having pool towels provided in the rooms automatically was appreciated. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you like to spend a lot of time on the balcony then pay extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very positive comments. We are extremely pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us.
With regards to the tea and coffee making facilities we have noticed your preference. Please do request this to us next time you visit and we will honour this for you. In the meantime, we have noted this request from other guests as well and we will provide this facility at our renovated rooms when we will do the next renovation in our hotel rooms, which will hopefully be soon. We will advise you when this happens!!
We look forward to seeing you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards
essex UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I do not understand why some of the reveiws about this hotel and its staff were negative,we have stayed at this hotel for 3 years running since we got married there,even though we have our own house in Larnaca.
We have made freinds with MANY of the staff who always remember us and greet us with a smile and a wave or a chat, we have always found the staff extremely helpful and pleasant and nothing is too much trouble for them, we always feel like weve "come home" when we visit there.
We also made lots of freinds among the other guests, lots of whom return year after year and that has to be an excellent recomendation of any hotel .
As for the cats, they are not that many and theyre part of Cyprus , we love them.
We could not recomend this hotel highly enough (every hotel has blips) I dare you to better the breakfast, I would live there if I could.
Great, wonderful hotel, highly recomend it, we will be returning for our anniversary for many years to come hopefully.

Room Tip: We always have a sea veiw room well worth the extra
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Hayley

Thank you very much for your stay with us. Also thank you for your feedback. We are extremely pleased to hear that you had again a very good and pleasant stay.
We are honored by your comments. We also take courage and strength to try and make every other guest as happy and satisfied, as you!! A lot of our guests are repeaters, this is true, and we are extremely happy to have such a good loyal clientele!!
I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Palm Beach has to be by far one of my favorite hotels in Larnaca. So much so that i chose it as my wedding Venue in September 2012. The staff where amazing and very helpful. We where given a suite to stay in on the night of the wedding and we where taken back at the beauty of it. Food was also amazing. Many of our guests also stayed over the period of our wedding both in the normal rooms & also in the bungalows and have all said they will be returning to stay there again. I cannot fault anything at the hotel apart from wishing that i didn't have to leave and come back to reality. Even though we also have our own house in Cyprus i will definitely be returning back to the hotel to stay for a couple of nights. Thank You to the all the staff at the Palm beach for all your help. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm B, General Manager at Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Mrs. Marie,
Thank you very much for your excellent comments.
We were very happy to organize your wedding and have your guests stay with us.
We are always happy to have you come back and stay with us. Many of our wedding couples come back for anniversaries and holidays, always a great pleasure!!
We thank you for coming back to the Palm Beach and best wishes from all of our team members!!
yeovil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have just come back from 2 weeks staying at palm Beach. I am dissapointed as there were no excursions to other parts of Cyprus. I booked with Mercury Direct and i was supposed to stay at the Princess hotel just along the prom but that got burnt out!! My room was north facing and cold as it never got the sun. Why could they not have put me in a sea view room. I would have paid extra. All the staff were friendly. Breakfast was very good but dinner there was only menu and no buffet so there was not any choice. Not good. There are about 7 little cats there. I think there are 2 ladies that come to feed them twice a day, plus the guests give them bits. The cats are not starving! There is not much to do in the local area. One has to hire it car it seems to see much else of Cyprus. It is OK for a relaxing holiday. One can catch a bus into Larnaca for 1euro and to other places. One can walk along the pathway infront of the hotel and by the sea. I think it was as I went in low season there was NOTHING at all to do. All the bars were shut and no entertainment at all. The prices for tea and coffee are very expensive!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a sea view room otherwise you will be stuck on the north side that never gets...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mrs...

Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing holiday.
It is true that in the winter there are not so many options in excursions.
It is also true that our Garden View rooms do not get as much sun in the winter because they are facing the north. Sea View upgrades are available at a very small supplement!!
I am pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and you liked our breakfast and beach promenade. Dinner during winter when the number of guests having dinner is small is served in a set menu ( Table d'hote) which means we have a first course (starter), a soup, choice of three main courses and dessert buffet with plenty of options. In the summer we have buffets and theme nights every night with live music and shows, so there is much more entertainment.
I hope that we will have you stay with us in the spring or summer or autumn when there are more options and more things to do.
We wish you a warm remaining of winter ..

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from the 23rd January - 30th January. I have stayed in many hotels in cyprus and have been very impressed by the palm beach. Staff are very friendly, service is excellent and breakfast buffet was very good and was also great value for money. Every night was a different theme in the main restaurant which gave us a lovely selection of different foods from around the world. The bedroom was cleaned daily and the view from my room overlooked the sea which was breathtaking. Cant wait to bring my children back in the summer. Definately recommend the palm beach!

Room Tip: Definately recommend the sea view rooms, breathtaking views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm B, General Manager at Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Ms. Marie S.
I thank you very much for your positive comments and we are very pleased to have you in our "Repeaters Club".
Yes, you are right, we do have some of the most beautiful sea views from our Sea View rooms and it is an attractive point!!
Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Best personal regards,
Antonis Papakyriakou

Been to Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!