“unpredictable” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Larnaka
Rome, Italy
“unpredictable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had book this hotel one day before coming, but on our arrival we found the hotel closed and our names written on the window, with the direction to go to next hotel san remo, which was under reconstruction also. We think, it is not honest to sell the room, which you already know that you will not be able to give.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Itala, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

You get what you pay for. Golden rule, especially when it comes for hotel stay.
cactus is ranked as 2 stars, and makes its job.
To be clear, I would never ever use it for a proper vacation, or even for more than 2 nights, but in my case, as a quick overnight stay, in low season, with ridicolously cheap fare, thanks some discount I got on the web, the overall impression can be positive.
Old furnishing, tired room, mediocre toilette.
Uninterested reception, with a charged wifi, and not a cheap one.
But TV was working, aircon was ok, and the area is enough silent and 20 minutes walk far to the centre of larnaca.
Hairdryer down.
Breakfast in a nearby caffè. Basic, very basic.
But again, if you're looking after an hotel, don't go to Cactus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

After staying at the fantastic Mediterranean Beach Hotel in Limassol I did not want to drive the 90km to my morning flight so I booked this penal colony masquerading as a hotel. When I gave my credit card at booking I was asked to pay cash at check-in. Ok, it was only 51€. I hand over a 50€ note and a 2€ coin. No change and no recipt followed. When I asked for a receipt fearing the old "double charge" scam, I was told (in Greek which I also speak) "what? You don't trust us?" I laughed and thought f*** it. The room was of a squalor that no words in the English language can do it justice. Cockroaches, fleas, bodily fuids from previous inmate, and those were the charming points. I immediately got into my rental car and drove the Salamis to get octopus and get drunk so I would not have to go back to the cell. I got drunk. It was now 1am, my flight was at 7am. I "slept" for 3 hours and after thanking God that I survived the night, checked out. Out of over 1000 hotels I have stayed throughout the world, including war zones, this is the worst.

• Stayed September 2012
Krakow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We've just spent 2 weeks, couple with 1 child.
The quality of the hotel is quite respectively to the price we've paid.
Staff is very friendly, nice and helpful.

Breakfast truly monotonous but sufficient: fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, dried olives, cypriot joghurt, 2 types of sausages, cheese or twice cottage cheese, jam, tosts, corn flakes, milk, coffee, tea, squeeze - everyday the same :-)
Really awful coffee, I had to buy Nescafe, better than Cactus coffee...
Towels and sheets were changed regular. The bathroom so, so... It could be worse :) Bearable.
The Catus hotel is a good offer for those tourists, who choose a hotel just for sleeping and during the day are on the beach or sightseeing (as we were).
Fittness room was closed because of renovation... A few men were doing small repair work like painting the walls :-)
It's not Sheraton, but enough to overnight.
We were out of season, so it was there very quietly.
The staff helpful, we've asked for taxi and others, no additional costs.
A/C work :-)
Value for money, we've paid (by olotels!)!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pencader, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just spent 10 days in this hotel. OK, it is not 5 star, but for the price, an absolute bargain. The decor in the room was a little 'tired', but apart from this it was very good value for money. Breakfast was more than adequate and Loizos and staff could not have been more helpful. So stop all the whinging...if you want 5star treatment go and pay for it!!
Just one criticism...please can you supply the rooms with tea/coffee making facilities.
Paul Odabasian

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here a week with my husband. We didn`t expect much, because of the two stars. It was a bit schocking to see the bathroom (very small tub and aged interiors) but we decided to go along and have a good, open-minded attitude.

Staff was very helpful and nice and we liked very much the location; short walk to beach, by scooter we went to centre and by car we went for example to the camel park.. Suitable for people, who want to enjoy mixing up with the locals and who want to see life through locals eyes :) . Hotel is Very cheap so we were actually positively suprised of the breakfast :D Value for money? - We had :)

Our holiday was out of season so thats why hotel was quiet. A thing which made us very happy, just few people here and there.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony to the pool. Sunny and nice :) We had a couple- room and it was good fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Powys
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked my holiday through Holiday Gems.com.The flight and transfers for my holiday went very well, timely and efficient but there were some quite serious issues with the accomodation provided.

The hotel was being used by locals as effectively a brothel. I was unable to sit at the bar without being harrassed by 'punters'.
The noise level at the hotel at night was uncomfortable.
As a woman travelling alone i didn't fell safe in my room at night, to the point where i was barracading my door.
Having chosen half-board to avoid moving around at night, the hotel didnt provide an evening meal. I had to walk 15 minutes to another hotel, which was lovely and had excellent food, but part of the walk to it was remote with few people around, and pitch black. On one night, during this walk, i was mugged for my handbag. This put me off making that walk again, hence missing 3 of my evening meals, which i had paid for.

All in all, this hotel was totally unsuitable for a female travelling alone. There were also 2 other female guests who also were having the same issues and will also be complaining to their representative.

I feel that some degree of compensation for the accomodation that in was given would be appropriate, especially as i was unable to get the evening meals,but after complaining to Holiday Gems i am yet to recieve even a reply.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cactus Hotel? Share your experiences!