“Lovely setting and service, and can't beat the price.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek, Fish & Chips
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Larnaka, Cyprus
“Lovely setting and service, and can't beat the price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had a meal down at Santa Elena Fish Restaurant in Zygi last week. It was on the evening of the Zygi Festival, and there was music and dancing on the Marina. Santa Elena's is on a cobbled pedestrian street just off the Marina, in a charming old stone building across from the church. We could hear the music from the harbour, but it was atmospheric, not overwhelming.
There is a special on this summer (2013) where most meals are 10 E even, including a nice salad and chips. Given the very reasonable price of drinks as well, this makes for an excellent value in a delightful setting.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Larnaka, Cyprus
“Acceptable prices but poor food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a family day out in Zygi today and we decided to eat in Santa Elena. The table clothes were full of burnt holes but I did not complain. I ordered a glass of red wine and they told me that they have red wine in small bottles so I went for it. They brought a small bottle of rose instead. I sent it back. The waiter brought an other table`s food as well. We ordered a pork chop what`s half was raw. We ordered mussels too and that was nasty. During chewing I found small shell bits then I found a 1 cm long shell as well. I stopped eating the mussels. However the calamari was too salty I liked it. The salad was delicious. After lunch I mentioned the problems to the waiter. His answer was:"The pork chop was raw because we did not want to burn it. The mussels.. well it happens." There was no apology at all. They solved the problem with letting go 2 soft drinks from our final price. Well I wish they would care more!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Limoges, France
“Excellent fish ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We ate here twice during our stay in Cyprus. The first time just two of us when we had the fish meze which seemed to go on forever and was well cooked, especially the sea bream. Our second visit was with friends when we had starters and a sea bass between us which was excellent. The only reason I have not given it a five rating is because one of our party ordered fish soup as a starter which, even after a reminder, did not arrive until the main course had appeared. Otherwise, topnotch.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nicosia, Cyprus
“TASTY FRESH FISH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

In the heart of Zygi, in the yard or the village's church is Santa Elena Fish Restaurant.
We had lunch several times, especially on Sundays, as is 40 minutes from Nicosia.
No view of the sea from the tavern, but the atmoshere is traditional and homely and always found the fish fresh and tasty, the service quick and the prises better than other Fish Taverns, so we keep going. I recommend it, and be sure, you will not be dissapointed!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Travelling Essex man
“Fantastic little restaurant a little off the main street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited Zygi on the off-chance passing through on a weekend motorbiking in Cyprus. Originally we stopped just for a coffee at Santa Elena but the food looked so good that we stayed for a seafood meze for lunch at 21 euros/person. The fish dishes were simple but brilliant - fresh, tasty - and far too much for two people to eat!! We had mussels, shrimp, red mullet, whitebait, octopus, squid, cuttlefish and a steamed fish I couldn't identify along with dips and a huge salad.
The staff were extremely friendly and did everything they could to make our visit special.
It's not on the harbour but none the worse for it. Sit outside in a small courtyard/pedestrian road. It is one of our favourite memories from our visit to Cyprus.

• Visited March 2013